MoM: what if it were reverted, BUT accompanied by particular conditions?

TheClownIsKing
TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278
edited June 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

So current MoM’s protection hits requirement makes the perk pretty unpopular.

And yeah, original MoM was definitely a game breaking problem because of stacking with Dead Hard, BT, and DS.

However...

What if MoM were reverted back to its original conditions, making it easier/more accessible to use, BUT a survivor equipping MoM is afflicted with Exhaustion and Blindness for the duration of the trial?

The Exhaustion condition is obvious: so it can’t be abused with Dead Hard (or anything else).

Blindness is so that MoM can’t be abused with new OoO. Or maybe Blindness is only afflicted once the survivor is at full health, and their aura is revealed after MoM’s activation?

The only issue with Blindness is for players fresh to Ash, it would make MoM have anti synergy with Buckle Up.

But then again, I think I’m the only one on the planet that uses Buckle Up.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• TheClownIsKing

So it could look like this:

Evil has a way of always finding you.

After getting hit 3 times by a Killer's Basic Attack, Mettle of Man activates.

Once activated, the next occasion that would put you into the Dying State from the Injured State is ignored.

The next time you heal back to full health, your Aura will be revealed to the Killer when you are farther than 12/14/16 metres from the Killer, and you will be afflicted by the Blindness status effect.

Mettle of Man will deactivate the next time you are put into the Dying State.

Increases your chances of being the Obsession.

The Killer can only be obsessed with one Survivor at a time. You are afflicted with the Exhaustion status effect for the duration of the trial.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

I'd probably just remove the aura reading part of Mettle of Man since it's already hard enough to activate, so why add more salt to injury?

Maybe we can experiment with only two protection hits for activation on the PTB and see where it goes?

Your idea would still allow survivors multiple health states, and it can still be paired with Adrenaline to negate the exhaustion negative. Blindness is not solo queue friendly, would be better to replace it with Oblivious instead.

• TheClownIsKing

I forgot about Adrenaline. Good point.

Still though, I stand by my ideas on Blindness. If MoM were more accessible, I’d hate for the potential to abuse it with OoO.

• NMCKE
    NMCKE Member Posts: 8,243

I'll always be against blindness, it's a status effect purely to screw over solo queue. If you wanna rework blindness, just make it hinder your vision instead — Like you couldn't see further than 24 meters around you. It's just pure darkness.

Mettle of Man would make more sense at that point.

• Toblerone007
    Toblerone007 Member Posts: 598

I would love to see mettle of man make a comeback to the meta. It's currently a very weak perk.

I would suggest making mettle of man proc conditions based on performance in a chase. The whole protection hit condition is not only buggy but so niche that using it is not practical.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

All it needs is to reduce the protection hits requirement to 2

• TheClownIsKing

I think if they did that, they’d have to remove the ability for MoM to potentially activate more than once per match

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I would probably change the requirements from 3 protection hits to 3 or 4 safe unhooks and remove the aura reading.

• TheClownIsKing

There has to be some drawback to tanking a hit. And no, meeting the conditions necessary to activate a perk is not in itself a good enough drawback.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

The issue with old MoM was the condition of losing chases. Survivor being rewarded for failing. Killer's punished for playing the game. Same issue as old DS. Killer is punished for playing their role and downing a survivor.

Lose two chases. Hit a skill check. Conditions not benefitting an outcome that can drastically change the course of a match.

• onemind
    onemind Member Posts: 3,089

How about this

Take 3 basic hits (not protection or power baised hits ) to activate mom while it's not active and you are healthy you are afflicted with oblivious while mom is active you are inflicted with the broken and endurance status effect until triggered

This perk resets when downed after its triggered

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,962

I'd much prefer it being lowered to 2 protection hits or adding a secondary way to gain stacks like we're gonna live forever

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,743

Blindness? No, no, absolutely not. Blindness as a status effect is intrinsically flawed as it'll affect solo survivors significantly more than swf. With blindness then MOM would become a swf-only perk because we REALLY need more of those.

Exhaustion I can get behind, but I propose Broken as well. Remove the aura reading, MOM gives Exhaustion and Broken, and prevents you from recovering fully until the perk has deactivated fully.

Make the deactivation condition the next time you are hooked instead of the next time you're downed, too.

If you want something as absurdly strong as old MOM back in the game you need some absurd drawbacks to counterbalance it.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I don't think making MoM balanced is a battle that can be won, personally. As-is, your version of MoM is nuts. Blindness means nothing to SWF, and I think you can easily do without an exhaustion perk if it means getting old MoM back.

• TheClownIsKing

The Blindness would only exist so that while the survivors aura is revealed, they can’t use OoO.

• bunnypup
    bunnypup Member Posts: 23

Guaranteed just being able to tank your fourth basic attack hit? I don't think it encourages smart play or unique game mechanics imo. The trade off (not being able to use an endurance perk) isn't worth it for one, and I think it would just encourage more lazy survivor play. I think the conditions for the MoM proc should be from the result of actions that actually reward the survivor with BP.

What if MoM instead could proc only if ALL of the following is achieved:

-1 protection hit

-1 safe unhook

-1 full heal state

-1 stun on the killer

Each has to be achieved individually (ie. will NOT proc if you simply do 4 protection hits, or 2 unhooks and 2 stuns. each has to be done once). This encourages actually playing the game in a realistic manner that doesn't requiring fishing for a specific play style (ie. running into killer's carrying a survivor to gain an EZ protection hit...). You could easily proc it by doing an unhook, protection hit on the unhooked, engage chase and win via stun escape, find unhooked and heal. Bam endurance effect, and well deserved... This to me is fair and makes sense without requiring TOO much effort for a very beneficial reward. Part of the playstyle balance as well is that this encourages the MoM player to not be a gen-jockey and more of an unhooker, which can be a good or bad thing but allows that gameplay variance you want in perks.

• Saltjar34
    Saltjar34 Member Posts: 766

Mettle of Mither for the win! Though by fully deactivating, do you mean that this MoM would only activate once or the broken and exhaustion is gone while you don't have the endurance?

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,743
    edited June 2021

Okay so the way MOM works rn is you take 3 protection hits to activate the perk, get the endurance and tank a free hit, then the next time you go down MOM deactivates and you're able to Re-gain your 3 protection hits to Re-activate the perk.

I suggested changing the "when you go down" to "when you get hooked". After you've been hooked broken and Exhaustion both fly away