Should BHVR stop supporting last gen?

Lord_Tony
Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109
edited July 2021 in General Discussions

I'm just speaking from a hypothetical standpoint here.

many games are dropping out of their support for last gen due to outdated hardware.

If you think about it last gen is actually holding back current gen.

BHVR keeps updating the game and providing graphical updates and new content but it's coming at a cost with last gen performance and working on last gen consoles could actually be slowing down current gen progress.

I don't know what will happen to last gen players but all your purchases should in theory be transfered over to the next gen consoles. So you won't be losing anything but having to buy a new console.

Post edited by Lord_Tony on

Comments

• Lord_Tony
    edited July 2021

But let's be reasonable how long can a game developer seriously support a console from 2013 in 2020+?

it's clearly taking its toll

• Lord_Tony

that's not how that works.

I didn't receive any compensation when sony shut down playstation home.

• Lord_Tony

but it's being updated graphically constantly, how much can last gen hold?

• Yatol
    Yatol Member Posts: 1,956

maybe not remove support but rather remove crossplay

• Bjario
    Bjario Member Posts: 313
    edited July 2021

Except it's not at this point. Their whole graphical overhaul is meant to be for next gen players. They have even stated that aswell

Post edited by Bjario on
  • Exxodus21
    Exxodus21 Member Posts: 1,170

Basically what everyone else is saying. The next gen consoles aren't even in stocks right now. People could move to PC but BHVR hasn't implemented cross-progression yet and most people won't want to start a brand new account and lose all of their cosmetics and progress, not to mention having to repurchase all of the DLC.

• 1miko
    1miko Member Posts: 268

The only way for this to work out would be releasing another instance of dbd like hypothetical dbd 2 where the game is identical to the last game with a lot of improved stuff and you may be able to carry your dbd purchased content to dbd2, get maybe a discount if you own a non gifted copy of og dbd and leave og dbd in a fixed state with eventual updates and stuff so the game isn't completely left to die.

You can't really tell customers to ######### off like that and stop supporting a game that got sold in a certain platform, they clearly cannot afford a refund at this point to do that without getting into deep #########, but they can literally leave the game in a somewhat low priority project and start working in a parallel project that would work on higher end platforms that might allow them to make the game look maybe good, but that would still deny them from a big part of their playerbase so I'm not really sure that would work out until last gens actually hindered the game into the shittiest possible state comparing it with other games. Right now the game is outright bad because the code is scuffed as #########, not because poor ps4 and xbone players are holding the devs back.

• 1miko
  • DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

I can't speak for console players but i'd much rather they just say "hey, we're cutting support for last gen, optimizing it is a absolute headache and we don't think it's worth the time or money" instead of complete radio silence

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

Sony expects 70% of playstation store sales this financial year to be from ps4. The head of Playstation Studios said "You can’t build a community of over 110 million PS4 owners and then just walk away from it, right? I think that’d be bad news for fans of PS4, and frankly not very good business." Maybe they're stopping for Xbox 1 but Sony is still planning on releasing new games to ps4 for some time still.

• Lord_Tony

well I'm not saying they should give up on last gen anytime soon but eventually it will need to happen

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

Except PS3 online games only stopped support after PS5 was released. A mediocre game like DBD stopping support when we are less than a year into the next gen would be super lame, especially when we still have new games which are still exclusively released for PS4/XONE and other way more demanding multiplayer games which have stated their support for last gen.

• Itslat3ncy
    Itslat3ncy Member Posts: 353

You know you can transfer your account on to it and it comes with the game and dlcs right. The game is after all a s/x compatible. Whatever you own goes over to the xbox series when you put your account on it.

• 1miko

And that's alright but given there's still so much room for optimization I think it might be quite a bit early for calling this out, maybe in a few years it will be ps4 and xbone's time to drop out of dbd. Anyways it will be a long while for that to happen since the game is still purchasable in xbone and ps4 game stores. I'm getting the feeling you either want to ignore how shutting down stuff like this works or are incredibly oblivious, because deactivating multiplayer on a game that is exclusively a multiplayer takes quite a while and a long notice or else you will be deeply hated by a lot of people that might even find a way to class action if you don't manage it well enough.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Great! Now find me one at Regular Retail Price from a trusted source!

• justbecause
    justbecause Member Posts: 1,521

Who's paying? I'm waiting

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

Based on games that are way my graphically intensive like apex, RDR2, overwatch etc..., and still work perfectly a lot. Behavior needs to learn how to code because the more crap they add to the game the worse the issues get on all platforms, meaning it has something to do with the system not properly processing only needed information. Eventually this will effect new gens and even high end pcs.

• Itslat3ncy

I got the series s from walmart.com about week ago for $400 plus tax.

• Trickstaaaaa
    Trickstaaaaa Member Posts: 1,267

Yeah we know that at some point they will stop supporting the old console systems. But the problem with this is that the current gen of systems has been out for less then a year, and even to this day you can't walk into your local Walmart or best buy and buy the Xbox x or Ps5. As a matter of fact you can't easily buy it anywhere to this day. And lets say that a person wants to buy a pc, well what if they have everything unlocked and have 100s of hours they can't transfer their data from a console to a pc. And I'm very confident the majority of the people who play this game are on old consoles systems. So imagine if they stop proving content to the largest player base. Now I would get if they stop updating the game if the the current gen of system was out for like 4 or 5 years, at that point it makes sense but this early in the game naw, it would be better if they fix the stuttering issues on the old systems.

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594

BHVR have just tweeted they are working on the HDD issue and plan to have fixes in the mid chapter update, they have specifically referenced the stuttering issue. That's pretty huge.

Cute thread tho

• Razorbeam
    Razorbeam Member Posts: 594

They are referencing the literal issue that is making their game unplayable at the moment, that is the opposite of them making a optimisation promise and then pretend they never said it and refuse to ever engage in conversation about it again, but hey we can turn this into a negative if you really want to.

• GoodBoyKaru

I'm just saying to not be 100% hopeful at the words they're "looking into it".

• Edgars_Raven
    Edgars_Raven Member Posts: 1,236

2 things

Number 1 if thats tge case they need to say so and stop selling it on old consoles.

Number 2 old gen consoles run other more taxing games just fine so there isnt really a goid reason for this.

• TheClownIsKing
    TheClownIsKing Member Posts: 6,278

I’m sure they planned to. But then the new console shortages happened, limiting the pace of transition.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

even the One X suffers that bad? I really want to know just how poor their optimization is if vastly superior games like RDR function so much better.

• Itslat3ncy

I was unaware you are a playstation gamer and live in the UK, but I must tell you there is no inferior next gen console they are all the same S/X are the same one just doesnt have a disc drive same with playstation.The game never has any lag spikes or frame stutters on the s it runs basically like it's on pc. The graphics are the same as well. It kinda sucks that a disc drive makes the console a lot more expensive, but I guess that's were they get the people who have physical copies. I get that there's not many consoles in stock and that's ######### but if you ever get the chance the upgrade is definitely worth it.

• GoodBoyKaru

Xbox S displays at max 1440p with slightly lesser CPU and GPU power, and is all digital. Yes, it's inferior hardware.

And I'm on PC so

• Itslat3ncy