Did nemesis end up faithfully underwhelming?

To preface: I Absolutely adore nemesis as he is in this game, his audio design, his amazing chase/menu theme, his imposing model and amazingly fun power (when it works.) He has a lot going for him both gameplay wise and thematically, but i cannot help but often feel like a large amount of his character identity was robbed by the limitations of DBD, leaving him sorely underwhelming in the shadow of the dream that is taking on the role of being NEMESIS. A Large part of nemesis' identity was his intelligent use of tools, a unique aspect of the tyrants at the time and is still incredibly interesting. In DBD, this is sorely lacking, and while this is done for obvious reasons, i get the feeling im not the only fan that just feels a bit sad for what he could've been with a power related to his weapon use. Even more so, nemesis is equally known for his terrifying ability to burst into full sprint and debilitating roars, both of which are also missing (besides his minor roars during weapon cooldown.) A character so well known for those integral parts having no movement ability is equally a very sad aspect of his character that just leaves him feeling like hes missing something.

Fellow RE fans, what are your thoughts? I Feel as though im not the only one missng what his character could have been.

Comments

• Momentosis
    Momentosis Member Posts: 824

Zombies were made too stupid for the release.

• SnakeSound222
    SnakeSound222 Member Posts: 4,467

I’m fine with what we got. We obviously couldn’t get his weapons and while a movement ability would have been cool, it might have screwed with performance (last gen consoles already went through hell with the RE chapter) or BHVR couldn’t balance it (which sounds like a stupid reason but we’ve seen how stupid their balancing decisions can be).

• WexlerWendigo
    WexlerWendigo Member Posts: 1,867

They literally asked RE fans what their opinion is. I am a massive RE fan, and gave my opinion that Nemesis is boring in RE and DBD.

• Customapple0
    Customapple0 Member Posts: 629

I see that they at least tried to make Nemesis faithful to his Resident Evil origin.

The zombies, the T-Virus, tentacle strike, mutation mechanic and the soundtrack.

But he falls flat in his gameplay. He just feels like a weaker Pyramid Head.

The mutation mechanic had so much potential, instead it just increases the range of the tentacle strike and allows you to break pallets with it. It could have been something that made him stronger as the trial goes on.

• TacitusKilgore
    TacitusKilgore Member Posts: 1,380

The mutation mechanic is primarily where a lot of my sadness lies. This comment kinda nails it on the head, mutation had so much potential but ended up being boring statistical increases. Being able to break pallets is awesome, thats mutation! gaining one meter in range is not a mutation, its an addon at best.

• Plu
    Plu Member Posts: 1,456

He's as nerfed and underwhelming as Remake Nemesis so they were pretty spot on design wise.

He's a shadow of his original self.

• Lunairtic
    Lunairtic Member Posts: 78

Thet put all of Nemesis' power into chase mechanics and then put zombies to "balance" him out. I think if he was done differently to give more map pressure and less chase pressure he would be better overall. I would have scrapped the tier system entirely.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

Yeah, Nemesis is but a shadow of himself in this game. Which is why they never should have picked him for the RE killer. There are so many better candidates like Birkin, Jack, and Heisenberg; but nope, they picked Nemesis just because he was popular.

• Plu

Nemesis was so hype in MVC3, now i want to play this game again

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

I like Nemesis but his power is god-awful. Sorry devs.

I mean, if you use it on an Uninfected Survivor; you're literally giving them a free chase extension, in a current meta where 3 gens can pop in 1 NORMAL chase. Giving Survivors a free speed-burst from a hit that did not even injure them is just stupid to do.

Which means you need to rely on the Zombie AI to infect Survivors, and good luck with that.

And that means Ol Nem is just a really stompy Legion. By which I mean his power is so actively bad for him that just going M1 is better. ...Wait; Legion is BETTER than Nemesis because Legion's power at least slows down the game. Nemesis's power is...basically non-existent unless Survivors get super unlucky.

So yeah; Nemesis is actually WORSE than Legion. His power hinders him more than Legion's does. Oof.

• Rez_Marsiel
    Rez_Marsiel Member Posts: 279

Man, why did RE3:Remake have to be so bad? Though you are right, he's just pathetic in both DBD and the RE3:Remake. RE3:Nemesis is the only nemesis I care about.

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

he's also like 5 feet shorter than the real nemesis

• Lord_Tony
    Lord_Tony Member Posts: 2,109

you pretty much just want it at tier 2 asap so you can start breaking pallets which is great

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452

You know he was underwhelming when the Kpop star is soon going to be stronger than the biological weapon.

Although you can say the same for Myers as well.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Disappointed. I enjoy to play as him... But he doesnt feel like Nemesis.

The music ?! You guys have never heard Nemesis theme? Sad that there s not a single metal clanking, or "tam, tam, tatatam" drums gimmick. The theme is cool, but its not Nemesis.

No mobility, no yelling, no intelligence, no breaking walls like it's nothing... 2 zombies to claim it's RE and that's it.

• Rez_Marsiel
    Rez_Marsiel Member Posts: 279

Man, Nemmy's theme from the original RE3 is such a banger and makes him feel threatening. The one we got is just like.... fun?

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

They definitely couldn't have used Heisenberg.

I think it was Birkin or Nemesis and I just don't think Birkin could've been done correctly.

• Plu

Same thing happened for PH , especially his chase theme, it sounds nothing like something you would hear in SH2.

But at least he's a decent killer in DBD, Nemesis is just...too average, which makes no sense.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290
    edited July 2021

Yeah Nemmy felt very underwhelming and the majority of people dismissed it like "hE cAn'T bE hIs OG fOrM" as if I wanted a Nemmy walking around the map insta gibbing with a Rocket Launcher. Like yeah Nemmy is a Bioweapon that could use weapons and that's his gimmick along with being a something that pursues people constantly but his live version is just frustrating to play against or boring in most situations I hate saying it but honestly.

He may be an average killer but he isn't fun - The ai while really cool is honestly hit or miss and most of the time excessively frustrating for one side. I don't want to see ai in the future unless it's following player commands. I don't want passive ai ever.

tl;dr - I'm a massive RE fan - Survivors were well done / Map visually looked good except the entity corruption garbage that is stupid and makes no sense that it's only on the RPD map and no other maps - Although they should have portioned off smaller bits of Resident Evil areas because RPD is too big for DBD / I am extremely disappointed with Nemmy because he's underwhelming and unfun to play as and againstt - All he does is whip over pallets and that's his thing. Not fun to play against.

• QwQw
    QwQw Member Posts: 4,531

And why exactly couldn't they have used Heisenberg? As long as they kept his in-game backstory short and made it so it didn't spoil the later half of RE8 (just like they did with Leon, Jill, and Nemesis), I see no reason as to why they couldn't have used him.

Birkin still would have been more interesting than Nemesis. Mutating and changing forms throughout the match is a cooler concept than a bootleg Punishment of the Damned.

Despite those two, though, I still stand by that Jack would have been the ideal pick for a Resident Evil killer. He's human-looking, interesting, has lots of options for a power, and 7 has been out for awhile now.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

Yeah I do find him to be rather underwhelming. In the Resident Evil game he can utilize rocket launchers and flamethrowers, and yet in dead by daylight he has to use a tentacle? It's not bad, but it's not great either. Not only that, but the zombies are brain dead and almost always get hung up on the terrain,which is downright frustrating, but worse it's ridiculous that survivors get a speed boost from infection which causes NO DAMAGE! At the very least that latter part needs to be changed.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,963

Didn't they get akira yamaoka to do the music for that chapter?

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976

I mean, I'd honestly say Nemesis would have fit better into Deathgarden. If you want Nemesis to have 20% of his RE imposing abilities, you would either heavily buff survivors against him, or make his abilities mainly cosmetic.

I'm still all for BHVR using killers as the map seed rather than having maps being static. Having map seeds would allow for certain structures to spawn more often or less depending on killer. It would allow for more crazy abilities and map specific counterplay against certain killers, while also giving killers the full capability of using their ability. I'd love seeing a map with a lot of windows for current legion, as legion actually gains distance the more he can vault. I'd love seeing the same map having a lot of random LOS breakers against a Nurse, but very few windows and pallets(like those matter against nurse anyway). I'd love seeing that map again, have places where you can crouch under if you have Pig or Ghostface(which survivors could also use). Then once again that same map, having a lot of holes in the wall when it's a slinger or huntress. Lots of grass and other blendable clutter on the ground when it's Trapper. Things like that is what would already improve the game a lot without making maps extremely bad for certain killers.

Take RPD for example. Terrible map if you're Slinger or Huntress. Great map for stealthy killers. Add in some random holes in walls here and there, and suddenly Huntress and Slinger will have a much easier time.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,328
    edited July 2021

I feel like even if it IS fitting with his lore and theme... Survivors might feel abit upset if the killer they go against can blast through the map with a gattling gun.

Also wanna point out how he has enduring lvl 9000 since he doesnt even flinch when they unload into him. Those pallets though...

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 421

I think he's pretty fine for the most part and in the context of the game his power is good but just needs a few tweaks to make him a little better during the chase. However I can't help but to feel the zombie AI was somewhat lobotomized from PTB? I guess it's really hard to measure that sorta thing but it feels like the PTB zombies were way more alert and I kinda hope they'll fix a lot of the problems with them, having better zombies and improving his whip will really make him go a long way.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,290

No one was asking for overpowered weapons we just wanted to see Nemmy use some sort of tech even if he was beating the ######### out of a survivor with a broken flamethrower he picked up. You know just something that shows Nemmy's true purpose aside from haha tentacle go brrrr.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

People would not have liked using a newer RE game for DBD, at least not in the first chapter. If they wanted to do another RE chapter, I think 7 and 8 are on the table, but it HAD to be a classic monster for the first. I like Heisenberg (he doesn't have UNO tho) but Nemesis, Tyrant or Birkin were the big three.

I don't think they could have done Birkin correctly with the limitations DBD has. They COULD have done Nemesis correctly, but he's just kinda meh and I can't even really play him since I'm on Console.

• A_Skinny_Legend
    A_Skinny_Legend Member Posts: 919

I guess, when I go against Nemesis I can't help but think about baywatch. I like to imagine that he has a surfing board while running and while carrying a survivor.

That's really what he has amounted to in my eyes.

• BenZ0
    BenZ0 Member Posts: 4,125

I agree and disagree.

I hate too that they didnt gave him some kind of sprint ability and especially is epic roar "S T A A R S", I Would love to have him scream that when he starts a chase to make it actually abit scary. These 2 things are very important to me and makes me feel pretty sad that they didnt implement these very simple things into him.

But tbh you can see the "intelegence" of him by kicking and protecting gens or hooking and trying to mindgame in chases etc, these aspects of basic Dbd gameplay makes the Killer look smart which is a good trade off. Giving nemesis a weapon would be abit weird in dbd tbh.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,932

I wish the Mori was the Rocket Launcher.

• TheGorgon
    TheGorgon Member Posts: 777
    edited July 2021

While I do appreciate the criticism the chapter has gotten, it’s almost been overwhelmingly negative for the big guy. I think otherwise. Not to be different, but I feel like they executed him well and introduced a both, satisfying and pretty good killer to the roster.

I think he was a success, both for the games health and his overall design.

• Plu

Supposedly, but just because it's the same Guy doesn't mean he didn't lose his touch...which is funny because the theme in the lobby sounds like something you'd hear in SH2, But not the chase theme, it's really weird.

• CausticMisery
    CausticMisery Member Posts: 35

I don't mind that he doesn't use a rocket launcher, because how in the hell are you going to put that into the game, but he definitely should've had an ability that allows him to sprint at full speed, like in the games. It wouldn't even be hard to implement as it could be something similar to Oni's.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,090

He's good.

• stikyard
    stikyard Member Posts: 526

Nemesis himself is a little underwhelming. I was hoping for a "Smash through" mechanic. Like a Dead Hard burst straight forward through pallets and breakable walls.

The tentacle is okay, the three hits at the start prevents it from being as powerful as Pyramid Head, initially, also range and hitbox isn't as good.

The zombie A.I. is a welcomed feature that does spice things up, they can not only catch looping Survivors unaware, they can feed you a lot of info.

I think that skilled Killer's should enjoy Nemesis, he isn't OP and interesting to play. That's how I feel anyway.