The SWF Problem (+How I'd Fix It)

Survivor

• Playing in a "Survive With Friends" team now prevents all players from running identical perks.
    • If players' characters have identical perks to another, the game will prompt each Survivor to change their build in order to make each build unique and prevent players from queueing up into a match until all perks are unique to each player.
    • Each player can access the lobby chat during this, allowing you to talk it out and see who would like to assign who a role in the game and what build would work best for them.
  • Playing in a "Solo Queue" will not limit you to the same restriction.
    • This is due to the fact that "Solo Queue" is a wild environment and they are typically less coordinated than a "Survive With Friends" group.

So, the change here is simple; fix the Survive With Friends (SWF) problem with what would be the single best solution to it: making them each run different perks to one another.

This, in and of itself, has no effect to the casual player base, who will experiment with multiple perks regardless of being in a Solo Queue or SWF. However, this directly targets higher levels of play and makes it so that higher level Survivors will need to actually build around themselves instead of just running the same "meta" perks over and over again.

This one simple change to Survivor would improve the quality of life for the game by such a substantial amount that it may end up actually being more fun for both sides.

Think about it; up to 16 different individual perks, 4 unique perks for each Survivor. This is how the game should be designed for the Survivor side, at least in regards to SWFs.

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,236
    edited July 2021

I would honestly be fine with this. In many ways it would make SWF more interesting, and encourage you to play different builds. have a survivor who takes priority rescuing off hooks because they have BT, a survivor who's priority is cleansing totems because they have Counterforce and Inner Strength, a survivor who's job it is to run the killer because they have DH and DS, etc.

I think It's just as dull for the survivors when everyone is running DS, DH and BT.

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

I recommended a very similar idea a while ago and people did not seem to like it cause I did not really receive feedback on it.

I really like this idea and thought it could be implemented by locking survivor builds after getting into a pre-game lobby; similar to how killers can no longer change killers once they enter the pre-game lobby.

• Seraphor

Locking in the build is a good point.

So while in the pre-queue lobby, with just your SWF, you would not be able to 'Ready' if another survivor was using the same perks as you. Once you're all using different perks, you can all 'Ready' and enter the queue.

Once you're in the pre-game lobby with the killer and any additional solo survivors, your build is locked in place, and you can't change your perks. Only item, add-ons and offering.

• truegod_10

Exactly. The character would also have to lock since each character has a different build.

• Freddy96
    Freddy96 Member Posts: 767

So killers will be locked and won't be able to use some perks/killers/addons against solos amrite?

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Id say maybe let survivors run dupe perks, but only a maximum of 2 players could have each perk

• Seraphor

Based on what? How would you determine what perks, and how would you 'lock them' based on the make up of the survivors?

Oh right, this is just a 'tit for tat' nonsense reply.

Solos would have the benefit of using any meta perks they want, while SWF would be limited. It wouldn't really be a big hindrance to SWF players, because there are 94 survivor perks to choose from, it would just prevent them all from running DS, DH, BT and Adrenaline at once.

• Freddy96

Based on what?

You want the list ordered by alphabet or release date?

"Solos would have the benefit of using any meta perks" no shot really? As if right now its different and solo experience is any better.

"There are 94 perks" and 84 of them suck

I thought it was already common sense that nerfing swf without buffing solo would be the actual worst way possible to fix this game but dbd forums i guess

• truegod_10

Ideally this system would allow the game to be more balanced around solo. If they added some minor communication to make solo more on par with swf then it could work even better as you could balance things on roughly an even playing field.

• I think a little icon next to their name, similar to the ones telling you if they are on the same platform as you, would be nice as a killer (or survivor) to indicate a SWF is in lobby.

• Seraphor
    edited July 2021

The issue with 'nerfing SWF' has always been that it would inadvertently nerf solos at the same time.

This doesn't do that.

Usually the common opinion is that solos should be buffed, and then killers buffed in turn, but anything that nerfs just SWFs without nerfing solos, which this does, would also work fine.

"There are 94 perks and 84 of them suck"? You are part of the problem with this game. Learn to play without DH and DS.

• Freddy96

Solo as right now needs huge buffs nerfing swf without doing one single bit to solo would be the most pathetic and lazy way to address swf.

Learn to play without dh and ds

Done, but now i wonder when will killers learn to play without corrupt ruin undying pop ? Cause i can play with these meme perks all i want but they're actually a waste of slots