Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

New idea to prevent camping.

KeiraKATANA
KeiraKATANA Member Posts: 18
edited August 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

How about a new proposal to stop camping...

When killer is within X meters of the hook radius pause the hook timer.

Comments?

Post edited by KeiraKATANA on

Comments

• KeiraKATANA

How exactly does someone abuse this? I can't think of how they would.

• DoomedMind
    DoomedMind Member Posts: 793

Yeah that was in fact heavily abused :/ there is not many efficient counterplays against this gameplay, or you have an entire build just to counter that situation that happens one game over ten on average, making you basically perkless in regular games.

Even with a build, you can't fast unhook, but you be face camped after that... The "best" play is to genrush if your mate is being face camped, or to last the longer possible to gain time for your mates if you're face camped. Then move on to the next game.

• Hykoumi
    Hykoumi Member Posts: 1

If you wish to post your opinion and viewpoint please try doing so w/o an aggressive tone, the idea that someone can literally face camp and waste 10-15 minutes of someone's time where they can't DC or they'll suffer an even longer penalty is ridiculous, having to force people to punish someone for camping, and the Devs change playstyles and metas all the time that is literally them telling people how they now have to play the game so your point about "can't tell people how to enjoy a video game they've bought with their own money" is ridiculous its literally Devs jobs to change the meta and change what some people may love but a majority don't.

Most people who enjoy face-camping every game I don't believe are physically enjoying the game and more doing it for a reaction or for a toxic reason, if anything making it so the hook timer pauses within 12m UNLESS a survivor enters that 12m radius would be an optimal change and tbh would improve the overall enjoyment and playstyle of DbD it would encourage people to go out and apply pressure without having to stay in close proximity to hooks to force downs/hits at an unhook, I personally will avoid people I've recently hooked so we can all have an enjoyable game (Im rank 4 with this playstyle so clearly it isn't hard to do as I have 350 hours) Im aware that rank doesn't mean much in Dbd, not until they release the MMR system will any rank etc matter but yeah.

I personally agree that a hook radius maybe with some parameters could be good for the overall health of the game as face camping can literally deter new players from playing the game as they wont enjoy sitting there for 5 minutes to die and then have to watch their friend play for 20 minutes.

At the end of the day it is what it is, some people will always have varying opinions and I feel anyone should be open to voice their own w/o aggressive nature.

Also Borrowed Time (I assume you're referencing) basically relys on your teammates running it in solo queue and things of the nature of sprint burst/dead hard/adrenaline/resilience/balanced landing and lithe are all perks that you can use ONCE per chase w/ the exception of resilience which chase wise only benefits from 9% vault speed but 9/10 it wont make much difference I personally believe the Killers are in one of their strongest states throughout DbD and have many perks/add ons at their disposal to apply immense amounts of pressure w/o having to use cheap tactics to get the upper hand.

If anything I believe the game sways more towards killers these days over survivors, that's my two cents anyways, take it or leave it.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291
    edited August 2021

I think the problem here is the fact that, somehow, that survivor is giving the killer the infinite run-around, not that the timer doesn't tick down.

Which would make the killer lose no matter what. Only difference is that now he doesn't get a kill off of failing to catch a survivor. Seriously, if this apparently god-tier survivor can loop the killer indefinitely, why wouldn't they do it somewhere -other- than the hook so that there's three teammates on gens instead of two on gens and one on hook?

EDIT: Was this, perhaps, before anti-infinite patching and/or bloodlust?

• Power_Guy
    Power_Guy Member Posts: 1,562

Here's how it was abused:

Back when the Struggle Meter was slowed/stopped if a Killer 'camped':

Survivor #1 does gens.

#2 and #3 go to the hook. They stand in opposite directions, so the Killer cannot threaten them both. They ALSO stand so far away that a chase cannot start.

If Killer goes after #2, #2 backs up to prevent a chase from starting. #3 goes towards the hook.

Same if you flip who he goes after.

If Killer resets; Survivors reset. Killer has not started a chase yet (due to distance) so the game penalizes him for 'camping'.

Now, the Killer's choice to to 'camp' & eat the punishment (even though HE IS NOT CAMPING because 2 Survivors are visibly there there) or chase one, and give the other a free unhook.

This is why the old punishment was removed; it basically forced the Killer, the supposed 'power role' into a lose/lose situation that Survivors could abuse EVERY TIME the first person was hooked. It was quickly removed.

• KeiraKATANA

"(like 99% of ideas of cry baby survivor mains)"

These comments are unnecessarily aggressive. This is not a crybaby survivor main, I only played killer for a long time and only recently played survivor. This is a long ongoing discussion people have all the time with me and I'm just making suggestions here. I'm not here to fight. Plus I'm way too old to be a crybaby. I enjoy every game. I just see people find games with camping very boring. Which I concure.

"If someone wants to camp they will. You can't tell people how to enjoy video game they bought with their own money, that's five."

Again this is aggressive, I haven't told anyone how to play, nor have I stopped anyone from camping. This is a discussion forum. Please keep your responses on subject and give and concise responses to my suggestion, without the abuse. Thank you.

• Firellius

It's only a 'lose/lose' situation if you considering going into a chase a 'loss'. But at that point, why bother playing killer at all, with or without anti-camp?

• Power_Guy

It's a 'lose/lose' because the Killer is FORCED into making a bad choice when camping may be the thing that turns the game around for him. Securing that kill may be needed to start that snowball rolling.

I don't get why people can't understand this.

• Firellius

Oh right, sorry, I forgot that an anti-camping measure shouldn't prevent camping.

How is it a bad choice to chase a survivor? What if neither survivor shows up to the hook and instead do gens, wouldn't that be a way worse situation for the killer than the 'abuse'?

• UnDead_PoLo
    UnDead_PoLo Member Posts: 7

Too many people complaining saying it was abused. Well it should be disabled when a survivor is near hook and active only when killer is at hook. Problem solved

• Firellius

If you stay; the person on the hook is now no longer able to die, or the timer is slowed, giving the Survivor on gens infinite or near-infinite time to do gens. There goes your pressure from hooking someone!

And you think you get pressure from not actually going after any survivor on any of the gens? You're just gonna stand there for 120 seconds while the other survivors are just gonna finish their gens?

With or without anti-camp, you lose the match that way, because you are giving survivors full freedom to do whatever they want while you wait for your first hook to bleed out. You're going to have to chase a survivor anyway, so you might as well take advantage when two survivors are showing themselves to you. Hell, you even get extra time, because they should've all three been working on a gen to cut down how much time you, as killer, have left, but they instead chose to pull off a perfectly coordinated gambit that costs them way more time.

Seriously, consider the situation if the survivors -weren't- 'abusing the system', and only one guy stealths his way over as would be the standard, while the other two finish the last two gens.

Your problem in the situation described is, legitimately, that you can't just camp your first hook to death, because the 'abuse' puts the survivors in a worse position, actively benefitting the killer.

It WAS abused. You not understanding how it was abused means literally nothing. And you ignoring the flaws does not mean they don't exist or are somehow minimal.

It doesn't matter to you because you WANT camping to be a thing. I, and a great many others, want it gone, so we're constantly looking for a solution. Understanding exactly how it was abused is quite relevant.

Case in point: @NoOneKnowsNova mentions someone looping around a hook to abuse the frozen timer. But from what I could see on the wiki, this anti-camp timer was tested in 2016, long before Bloodlust was a thing, and chases could last longer. Would it really hold up now, when chases are much more limited with vaults getting blocked and killers speeding up if the chase lasts too long?

You dismiss the entire thing off-hand for an experiment that ran FIVE years' worth of patches ago.

• Power_Guy

The thing is; if you change camping. if you 'fix' camping? That forces the Killer to 12 hook more, since he can't camp to kill someone early, right?

And the game, as it is designed right now, is anti-12-hook. The Killer DOES NOT HAVE THE TIME in a match to 12 hook. Not when 3 gens can pop in the first chase. That's 3/6ths (or 1/2; 5 gens & exit gate) of the Survivor's objectives done. At bare minimum, that's 1/4 of the Killer's objective done (4 hooks; 1 for each Survivor)

If Killers can't camp? Can't confirm the kill? That's 1/2 (3 of 6 objectives; 5 gens & exit gates) of the Survivor's objective done in one chase, and 1/12th of the Killer's objective done when he hooks that first Survivor.

And that's to say nothing of end game; if the Killer wants to camp because the gates are 99%'d. He can't regress the gates. He can't close the doors. So why would he leave the hook?

But a camping 'punishment' would deny him even an end game kill.

This is why I say it should be 3 things:

1. Give camped Survivors 'Distraction' points for 'Being wriggling meat on the hook & distracting the Killer'.
    2. More points for the hook phases, to lessen the sting when Survivors just don't save you, even if the Killer is not camping.
    3. More 'leave the hook' perks for Killers, like Devour and BBQ. Encourage a meta that requires the Killer to leave the hook of his own volition.

But I can't abide these 'punishment' ideas for a few reasons:

1. More than half of them are pure spite. 'Take the Killer's BP & give it to the Survivor'. Really?
    2. They are easy to exploit: Make the Killer blind. Slow him down. Disable his attack.
    3. They will screw the Killer at times where he HAS to camp a kill to turn the match around. It would not be fun to lose the match 4 minutes in because the Killer can't ensure someone dies.

So, until the base game is changed, camping can't be punished, or 'fixed', because Killers, except for the top players of the top 3 Killers, would almost never get even 2 kills at that point. Not with gens speeds as they are.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

Someone already explained the exact process of how that was ALREADY THE IMPLEMENTATION and how survivors found a way to defeat that implementation to gain a massive advantage. Yet, let's go over it again.

WHen we had this exact implementation it was designed to function on a killer's proximity to the hook. If you got in a chase with a survivor the game actually progressed the timer, but what everyone started to learn rather quickly was that if you could force the killer to stay at the hook without entering into a chase with them then your team of 4 had an infinite amount of time to do anything.

This led to killers in a no win scenario for getting hooks. It led to hooked players being left to swing for extreme periods of time because you could not die. Game times ballooned, people stopped wanting to play because as killer you getting extremely annoyed and people who got stuck on a hook till they just had to DC weren't actually getting to play the game. It didn't hurt more experienced players as much, but was extremely detrimental to new players. New killers at the time tended to camp cause they didn't really understand the game as well only to find themselves in 45min games with people basically not wanting to engage in a chase once someone was hooked.

It does not take much for this game to see players walk away and queue times skyrocket. So considering it was generally just making things unhealthy they removed it. As much as people don't like it camping is also a valid way to play and the devs have said thing multiple times over the years. They would like it if people didn't do it unless they needed to, but making blanket mechanical changes doesn't really make it go away and does more harm than the camping itself does.

• TacticalBanana
    TacticalBanana Member Posts: 29

Camping might be bad for the one being camped but with kinder3d you are basically a constant ward where the other 3 rush gens.

• Firellius

Okay, before this discussion continues, two questions. Because we've now got three people with conflicting stories about how the attempt went down.

1. Was there any other attempt at anti-camp beside the one in 2016?
    2. Who was actually there for these attempts?

• truegod_10
    truegod_10 Member Posts: 393

No to easily abusable and guarantees rescues/ prevents killer from being able to chase around/defend hooks.

You will be more successful rewarding killers for not camping then trying to actively prevent it. Here are some proposals to reward killers for better play:

1. Provide a speed boost (maybe like 10 to 15 percent) that all killers get after a hook that goes away once they enter a chase or after like 20 seconds; this will encourage leaving hook and provide less specific benefits to killers that already have mobility powers, since they will have to pick which mobility option to use.

2. Create more good perks that rely on being away from hook, like MYC and devour, or perks that encourage leaving a hook to complete objectives, thrilling and bbq.

3. Give the killer some kind of basic information to go off of after a hook to encourage them to leave; like allowing the killer to see the aura of the farthest survivor that can be seen (not in a locker) for 4 seconds (similar to bbq).

4. Provide some benefit for not tunneling/camping, cause currently the best strategy for victory is to get one survivor out of the game quickly. Provide this by making survivors that have been hooked suffer some kind of permanent detriment (like 10% reduction in repair time per hook). This will encourage killers to spread out hooks rather then pile them on one person by slowing the game down for the kille. It would also hopefully reduce camping since camping someone to second stage denies you of this benefit on other survivors and the second penalty for the survivor that was camped. This would also make sense lore wise since a survivor likely would be traumatized/affected by the meat hook that went through their shoulder.

5. Provide more bp to survivors who did get camped so they get less salty about it. Also, maybe give them a safety pip as well, for people who still care about pips. After some of these other changes have been done, most killers that will camp will be one's that want salt so denying them that salt will prevent reinforcing that behavior.

I do not believe all of these changes are necessarily great or completely balanced as is, but I think all of them represent a good jumping off point to begin an actual discussion for potential changes that could be done without breaking the game for one side or the other.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 1,019
    1. No, because after two horribly failed attempts, the devs stated that they would no longer attempt to punish camping with mechanics. What they would do is provide incentives to leave (BBQ, MYC, etc.)
    2. I was there, been playing since Summer 2016. The description of events by @ReikoMori are the most accurate to what I myself experienced during the tests.
  • PalletsAndHooks
    PalletsAndHooks Member Posts: 989

Camping is an essential aspect of design. Only survivors can empower camping, not the killer.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,948

wow you are like 4 years late on this one.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

A little research before posting this wouldn't have hurt anybody.

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

It's already been tried. However, if you add the stipulation that "the Killer is within X meters of the hook and is not in a chase for x seconds", then that would prevent survivors from abusing it.

I personally think survivors should get an extra 1,000 bps every 5 secs and the killer should get -1,000 bps every 5 secs they meet that condition.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,364

Camping doesn't need to be prevented. Survivors just need to stop expecting unhooks to be free.

• Firellius

Survivors unhooking their friends doesn't need to be prevented. Killers just need to stop expecting kills to be free.

So there were two attempts? Both in 2016?

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

Imho the best change they could make around camping would be to just make Kindred basekit for Survivors, that way everyone knew when a facecamp was happening, and could work accordingly to actually give Solo, Duo, and 3 man players a better chance to escape. Bc imho, the biggest issue (besides it feeling crappy) is that there's no way to communicate with randos what's happening, and that miscommunication and misunderstanding leads to a lot of time waste by Survivors. Afterall, the best counter to camping/tunneling is just communication and buying time- but it doesn't do anything if your fellow survivors just wate it because they don't realise what's happening.

Mix that with more perks that encourage being away from the hook (More perks like Devour and MYC) and there would be better counterplay to camping. Imho, it would also be a good jumping off point for playing with a few other base numbers- like slight changes to regression speed when you kick a gen, or slight changes to the amount lost upon a base kick of a gen.

Idk, I don't think camping/tunneling will ever leave the game, nor do I think it should because it can be necessary, but at the same time, a lot of Survivors don't necessarily have amazing chances of countering it themselves, unless they're against a Killer that they completely out match in chase and get unhooked, or have an end game wombocombo like DS+UB- which, besides feelings, is a large part of the reason it's complained about and can feel so unfair.

• unluckycombo
    unluckycombo Member Posts: 582

This thread has nothing to do with Survivors expecting free unhooks lol. I think everyone can agree that there's a very big difference between being called a 'Camper/Tunneler' when someone just loops you around the guy on hook and farms him, or a similar situation like an unnecessary 1 for 1 and situations like what I believe OP is referring to, such as getting downed early and then getting face/proxy camped out when there's no soul within a half mile radius, and they're determined not to leave. (Of course, outside of EGC.)

That's not really expecting unhooks to be free, that's expecting more of a chance to... well, get to play the game. It's similar to how Killers who get genuinely genrushed in .5 seconds feel like they didn't get a chance to play.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,364

It is expecting free unhooks. Complaints about camping wouldn't exist if there wasn't entitlement to the rescue.

• Firellius

Guess that's why there's so many complaints about a killer spotting a survivor going in for the rescue while they're not camping.

Oh wait.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 1,019

Yes, that's what has been said in earlier posts.

The specific public test builds are the ones in September and November of 2016.

• Power_Guy

No. Stop with the 'TaKe ThE KiLlErS bP!' spiteful BS. This is not 'balance'; it's spiteful BS simply to punish the Killer as extremely as possible.

Also; Survivors could still abuse that idea, as they were too far away for a chase to start. I have said this how many times now?

• DaWeezerd
    DaWeezerd Member Posts: 256

Doesn't matter what year they took place, the developers have stated they won't try to punish camping with mechanics after those 2 failed attempts they instead are making perks to incentivize not camping and going after people who aren't hooked yet.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209

Well to start people have been re-suggesting this idea for a long time now and seeing it every 2-3 weeks is tiring and annoying since people have to go through the same song and dance of "this was tries already and it was abused horribly" "how was it abused?" *insert explanation* also if the devs have been changing what the meta is then why has the meta for the game been almost exactly the same for 4 years, you split up do gens run killers away from gens in the progress of being worked on and play hyper safe until all 5 gens are done. The methods that you achieve this meta have altered slightly mostly just because of ways to achieve this have been nerfed over the years. No perk or system nerf/buff has changed this survivor meta since the game came out.

• BenihimeWrath
    BenihimeWrath Member Posts: 968

Okay, but if a survivor stays within hook range to pause the timer for longer than 5 seconds, hook time actually counts down 10x faster.

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294

hmm, so if someone pissed me off, I can lock him out of the game for longer time. I take it.

• Firellius

It does matter what year they took place. Five years' worth of patching has drastically altered the game, so an experiment ran that long ago doesn't represent the current state of the game.

That's because the general survivor meta has been predicated mostly on three perks that all revolve around making the game playable against a killer that tries to prevent you from playing.

The meta won't change, because it can't. Genrushing is a requirement as long as camping exists.

• gilgamer

Gen rushing beats literally any playstyle though not just genrsuhing.

• Firellius

And nothing can be done about it, because any slowdowns would push camping from a guaranteed 1k to a 2k or worse.

I had an idea to slow down solo gen speeds and speed up co-op gen speeds to compensate, to where co-op gens go faster than solo. This would make it easier for the killer to apply pressure and increases the value of them hooking someone, as it removes that survivor's co-op bonus as well. I think it'd greatly reduce the stress and pressure on killers, while improving strategic variety for survivors: go safe and slow by splitting up, or be fast and risky by grouping up.

However, this idea can't be implemented unless camping is crippled, since it would all but guarantee that camping would grant a 2k or worse.

Camping is locking up the entire game.

• gilgamer
  • gilgamer

Would it? Killers who camp don't really move around much and if they are thats not camping, proxying maybe but that's a different issue since killers like twins can proxy from across the map.

Id argue that maps like coal tower are the most balanced map in the game with it being small but also dense allowing for looping but still having a decent amount of tiles and loops while still keeping the map fairly small.

• Firellius

It'll take less time for the killer to move from target to target, so the survivors likely have less time before the first down. That leaves more work to be done in the same amount of hang time, and if they don't get it all done in the first hook, the killer has an easier time finding a second target, or using NOED to slug for the 4k.

Everything that makes things easier on the killer makes things easier on the campers.

• gilgamer

I mean I guess but like still doesn't mean the game should be balanced around campers.

• Firellius

It kind of does, because any changes made that benefit camping would increase the number of campers, and since no one enjoys a trial with camping in it, that'd kill the game off.

• gilgamer

No killer enjoys being genrushed yet you say its a mandatory existence due to camping even though camping is easily countered and genrushing has been the meta strat since the games inception.

• Firellius

Yeah, camping is easily countered -by what-?

Genrushing.

Literally not doing anything else but min-max the gens to get as much work done for the 120 seconds that the killer is camping and praying that you get out before he's done and/or that he doesn't have NOED.

Gens can't be slowed down in any capacity until camping has a baseline countermeasure. As I said, you'd shift the meta a bit if solo gen speeds were slower than co-op gen speeds to make sure that the safest option for doing gens isn't also the fastest one. But that would require a camping nerf, because otherwise camping will guarantee a 2K or better.