Gen Tapping to Counter Ruin Fix

Options
Have a skill check on the start of a survivor working on generator. It would be a normal skillcheck that would activate the moment a survivor starts a Gen. Too many survivors use this exploit to not be affected by a perk designed to slow progress.
This is an easy fix to this.

Comments

• Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543
    Options

not really.

proper fix: make survivors have an animation before starting doing gen. Prevents all abuses, including insta-fixing gens after killer hits it

• Hunter__
    Hunter__ Member Posts: 53
    Options
    Sarief said:

not really.

proper fix: make survivors have an animation before starting doing gen. Prevents all abuses, including insta-fixing gens after killer hits it

That would do nothing to stop gen tapping. It would just delay it a moment. The only way to counter it would be to have them deal with the effects of Ruin, via a skillcheck. An animation at the start should also be a thing but that's more of a QOL fix that should be done for killers anyway.
  • Ferazel
    Ferazel Member Posts: 17
    Options

Yeah I think the idea is sound. No progress on a gen before you complete the first skill check that triggers immediately. It would make hex ruin stronger than it currently is though as you would degrade progress right off the bat at lower ranks.

• Sarief
    Sarief Member Posts: 543
    Options

@Hunter__ said:
    That would do nothing to stop gen tapping. It would just delay it a moment.

animation that takes 0.5 to start, would delay it for one second for two taps. 2 second for 4 taps. Do I really need to continue?

• Hunter__
    Options
    Sarief said:

@Hunter__ said:

animation that takes 0.5 to start, would delay it for one second for two taps. 2 second for 4 taps. Do I really need to continue?

Again, yes the animation would help delay but the fix is to force survivors to deal with Ruin and not just delay. Good idea and it should be implemented as a QOL change but do I need to go on for why the skillcheck needs to occur. Ruin as a perk should only be counterable by destroying the totem or getting great skill checks. Not simply by delaying 0.5 seconds per tap.
  • only1biggs
    only1biggs Member Posts: 1,178
    edited June 2018
    Options

Gen tapping takes longer to complete a gen than just hitting great skill checks when alone and if with someone else, it's not very efficient and gives the killer info on two survivors whereabouts.

If you gen tap as a survivor, get better at skill checks. If you're a killer and people in your lobby gen tap, don't worry about it, they're idiots.

Post edited by only1biggs on
  • Pharmacy
    Pharmacy Member Posts: 29
    Options

McLean has said that gen tapping is not an exploit or cheating, so I doubt they will try and 'fix' something which is not broken in their eyes. However, gen tapping also wastes time for the survivors that do it, which is the purpose of Ruin in the first place - occasionally survivors can wait too long and can accidentally force a skillcheck, although this doesn't happen much at higher ranks. It can feel a little cheap, but unfortunately it will likely not be revisited :'(

• Pharmacy
    Pharmacy Member Posts: 29
    Options

@SaltyKiller said:
    It really doesn't waste their much by much.

I know, but like I said there will likely not be any changes to it at this point unless they manage to make a bug where trying to gen tap results in the gen being finished instantly.

• Cypraz
    Cypraz Member Posts: 136
    Options

Gen tapping is far less popular than killers would like to think.

• Hunter__
    Options
    Cypraz said:

Gen tapping is far less popular than killers would like to think.

Yeah I know. Normally I play high rank and ruin is either gone in 15 seconds or while I'm in chase with the first person. If not then the players will just do the gens a little slower or hit greats and still be about 80 seconds. Ruin is to stop the ones not willing to push through it and they'll find it on their totum search b/c 90% of survivors high rank know every totum spot. I've just noticed it recently b/c of reset and im catching ppl doin it almost every game whether walking up on them with Micheal and his lower TR. Or in my BBQ aura reading I'm seeing it from cross map. You can say that it's not popular but if I see it in almost every game while on my way through green and purple ranks I think it's a tad more popular than you might think. I don't expect them to do anything to help with it but you never know by raising awareness.
  • powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

It's only really useful at low ranks and or if the killer is really close and you're trying to be sneaky. Well that and if you're the last survivor it's a great way to avoid the ruin and or trying t do a bit back and forth as the killer pats.

• holywhitetrash
    holywhitetrash Member Posts: 289
    Options

gen tapping is a terrible way to get through ruin. it takes more than double the time than just doing the gen and hitting normal skill checks and stopping while the sparks fly out (no progress during that time and can still get skill checks), unless you get real unlucky and just keep getting like 3 skill checks in a row.

• SadonicShadow
    SadonicShadow Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

I never understood why people complain about gen tapping as if it negates ruin. I personally hope the survivors are stupid enough to gen tap because it is painfully slow. Smart survivors know it is faster to just work through the ruin instead of tapping the gen. If the survivors are gen tapping then ruin is doing its job and paying dividends to the killer. I can see how it sort of skirts a fine line as being an exploit but really ruin is not about making the survivors face the difficult skill check. Its about making the gens go slower and if they are tapping the gens it is most certainly going ALOT slower than normal.

• xxaggieboyxx
    xxaggieboyxx Member Posts: 498
    Options

@Goobz said:
    First couple of seconds on a gen with Hex: Ruin enabled give no progress, problem solved. So gen tapping in that instance is making the survivors worse off than just doing the gen with ruin.

still doesnt fix the problem they would just get on it and get off as soon as they get progress but yeah it would slow them down a lot but still bypassing the point of ruin which is to cause regression or... ruin like the quotes say on the perk

• holywhitetrash
    holywhitetrash Member Posts: 289
    Options

@xxaggieboyxx said:

@Goobz said:
    First couple of seconds on a gen with Hex: Ruin enabled give no progress, problem solved. So gen tapping in that instance is making the survivors worse off than just doing the gen with ruin.

still doesnt fix the problem they would just get on it and get off as soon as they get progress but yeah it would slow them down a lot but still bypassing the point of ruin which is to cause regression or... ruin like the quotes say on the perk

killer's are fighting against a time clock
    the point of ruin is just to add time to the killer's clock, which it does by either survivors looking for the hex (because honestly if all 4 survivors are looking for the hex it will probably last 30 seconds), the survivors losing progress through not getting skill checks (this one probably adds 30-40 seconds) , and then gen tapping (this one actually adds the most time probably 50-60 seconds)

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068
    Options

Gen tapping is only really useful against regression skill checks and even then it sometimes isn't. If it's Ruin I either go looking for it if the killer is close or keep going if they aren't. If they're close enough to be seen or heartbeat I'll skulk off and go looking for it, same as others will probably do.

• Chi
    Chi Member Posts: 780
    Options

Playing survivor I rarely see survivors gen tapping. We just work through the ruin skill checks, so I don't think it is a real issue.

• jiyeonlee
    jiyeonlee Member Posts: 211
    edited June 2018
    Options

@Hunter__ said:
    Sarief said:

@Hunter__ said:

Again, yes the animation would help delay but the fix is to force survivors to deal with Ruin and not just delay. Good idea and it should be implemented as a QOL change but do I need to go on for why the skillcheck needs to occur. Ruin as a perk should only be counterable by destroying the totem or getting great skill checks. Not simply by delaying 0.5 seconds per tap.

you are too greedy and insist about ruin and its quite idiotic
    i rather suggest nerf generators progression speed

ruin is already overpowered for one perk, so ruin is not a problem