Pyramid Head's Tech Should Come Back

Options
Vulgun
Vulgun Member Posts: 439
edited August 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

Remember that tech where Pyramid Head could just cancel Rites of Judgement endlag into his M1?

The premise of that tech is actually very promising and I think needs to be brought back. Now, I personally believe it was already balanced as-is, you give yourself the ability to mindgame Survivors and try to make them think if you're going to swing or if you're going to fire off Punishment of the Damned.

But, considering some people will have a problem with this, I've devised an answer to it. It's now a new mechanic called "Rites of Punishment", which is the following:

• After 0.25 seconds of cancelling Rites of Judgement, you have a 0.5 second window to be able to cancel it into a Basic Attack, hereby known as Rites of Punishment.
  • Rites of Punishment will act similarly to a Basic or Lunge Attack, with the exception that if you miss a Survivor, the attack incurs a 1.5 second added cooldown on top of your cooldown of missing the attack.
    • Hitting with Rites of Punishment, however, will not incur this penalty.
  • A new animation can even play out to where Pyramid Head strikes his Great Knife downward onto the Survivor, rather than sideways and upwards, just to make sure you know he's going for the attack.
  • Due to this, Rites of Punishment has a much more narrow attack hitbox than a Basic Attack, meaning that Pyramid Head players need to aim properly or risk being punished with it.

I genuinely believe there's something that can be done with this and it's a shame it had to be taken away without compromise. I think there's potential, but it'd be squandered if we simply just forget this tech existed in the first place.

If Nemesis can keep his Linger Tech, if Bubba can keep his Tantrum Tech, and if Blight can keep his Butter, so too should Pyramid Head keep his tech and it should be a new mechanic for him.

Thoughts? I'll even make a poll gauging whether or not people would truly like this.

Post edited by Vulgun on

Comments

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options

He's already somewhat oppressive in the 1v1 and strong as is, though

He doesn't need this.

• Tekno_Badger
    Tekno_Badger Member Posts: 526
    Options

There's a middle ground to be had. I don't think he should be able to insta-cancel like before, but maybe decrease the exit duration from 1s to 0.8s

• Vulgun
    edited August 2021
    Options

I think reducing it to 0.6 seconds would be better since it'd feel more fluid.

But I also think that my idea of just making it punishable by adding a second cooldown on miss is just as good. And I could even argue that the attack could have a thin width to balance it out.

Trust me, he's not that oppressive if you just Dead Hard for distance or spin him. This would be another mechanic he could have that would be easy to learn about on both sides.

And again, an added second and a half of cooldown if he misses.

Addendum: I ended up changing it to be a little more balanced. You two should read the changed parts, which are a narrow hitbox, 1.5 second cooldown if you miss and it requiring you to initially cancel the Rites of Judgement move for 0.25 seconds.

• Tekno_Badger
    Tekno_Badger Member Posts: 526
    Options

I don't think the hitbox should be changed, it's already dodgeable. Start him with a 0.75s exit cooldown, and increase the miss cooldown to 2.5s, decrease the hit cooldown to 2s. More risk/reward, and better players reap the rewards.

• Saviorace
    Saviorace Member Posts: 60
    Options

All techs should be removed period. Relying on what is essentially a glitch to make a character useable incentivises devs to nor fix their mistakes

• Vulgun
    edited August 2021
    Options

No, these techs existing likely serves a much better functional purpose than just "being a glitch".

Let me ask you this; is it a glitch that Nemesis' Tentacle Strike lingers for a short duration of time? Or that Bubba's Tantrum still has collision on objects and Survivors? No, they aren't glitches. They're part of the characters.

People only discover "techs" when they can use these parts of their kits to their advantage in a unique and surprising way. Plus, the developers seem quite on board with the Linger Tech and the Tantrum Tech, considering neither have been removed since the Killers' releases.

Just because you don't like them doesn't mean that they need to be removed. Techs, if anything, make a game better than it normally is.