I’m genuinely disgusted at BHVR supporting NFTs

Options

Comments

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Musk has pretty dedicated 'hate clubs' - you gave your own answer there. Tesla stock, though, provably dips most times Elon talks crypto.

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

as much as I wanna get in on this bandwagon about mr. Musky [redacted]. Lets try keep this all relevant and not too politcal, yeah? 😅

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567
    Options

NFTs are not scam, but many try to do scams using NFTs. If someone doesn't understand NFTs or they are not interested in an NFT which says that "you own pinhead according to bossprotocol" (or something similar) then they simply just shouldn't buy it.

• fogdonkey
    Options

Sorry, but your whole understanding is wrong...

The whole "environmental damage" of NFTs comes from the fact that they are stored in a cryptocurrency database and building this cryptocurrency database (blockchain) needs a lot of computing power, i.e. electricity, i.e. cheap electricity, which is made using fossil fuels.

• fogdonkey
    Options
  • fogdonkey
    Options

You say that it is a scam, because it can be mass produced. It would be a scam if you didn't know about it and someone would sell you while claiming the opposite.

Btw I guess even if a lot of NFTs can be created for the same stuff, most likely the first one will have the value for people. But I am not an expert on this.

Note: I would also not buy NFTs, I am not interested in them.

• blue4zion
    blue4zion Member Posts: 2,773
    Options

Yeah, till none of that matters because the support from the community stops.

All this hard work, gonna go to waste because the company you work for just wants the money.

• fogdonkey
    Options

Ponzi scheme is:

Invest in my company and then I will give you profit. But the profit actually does not come from company business but from new investors.

Bitcoin is not really that.

There are many things that don't have real value and their value comes only from what people are willing to pay for it. E.g. paintings.

• fogdonkey
    Options

In Ponzi scheme the organizer claims that the profit comes from a legitimate business (which is in reality fake or makes no profit).

So what is the fake business in Bitcoin? Isn't it obvious that it has some value, because people believe it has value? Buying Bitcoin because you think their value will go up is speculation, but not a Ponzi scheme.

• ElusivePukka
    Options

The fake business is Bitcoin itself. No, it doesn't have value, and the lie that people tell themselves that it has value is just part of the ponzi scheme, not a miraculously self-evident fiat currency.

• fogdonkey
    Options

I don't agree, because nothing in Bitcoin says "buy me and you will get more value back" or something similar.

There are people speculating that their value will go up. There may be companies selling Bitcoins with fake promises of their value going up. But it is not Bitcoin's fault.

Based on your logic everything is a scam, because e.g. someone can create a scammy business selling that thing.

• RockoRango
    RockoRango Member Posts: 554
    edited October 2021
    Options

I agree that NFTs are absolutely horrible and a scam, but they're not a ponzi scheme; a resource does not have to be finite to have value, therefore an NFT has legitimate value (however small) and a ponzi scheme is not possible. If it was, money itself would be a scam.

It's possible, however, and very prevalent to basically mass produce extremely similar NFTs at no cost and completely nosedive the price of the bought NFT's value, completely screwing over consumers and keeping all the profit. This is why it's a broad scam: investors aren't being tricked into investing by being promised profit, consumers just straight-up get scammed by giving away money like idiots, wasting energy/resources, and losing most if not all public credibility.

• ElusivePukka
    edited October 2021
    Options

NFTs and crypto aren't real currency, and NFTs do not have legitimate value.

Everything can be a scam. Not everything is. Crypto is just a scam skirting a long documented history of backing being a limiting factor by deluding people into thinking it's not needed.

The entire selling model for Bitcoin and crypto is that promise of value - saying any different is just proof positive of bad faith.

• RockoRango
    Options

If you don't believe NFTs have legitimate value, you've forgotten how economics works.

An individual NFT is one-of-a-kind, therefore it's a scarce resource. You can also look at it as an NFT uses energy, therefore it's scarce by proxy (even if the supply of NFTs is infinite).

Scarce resources are inherently sought after, so there's value in having that resource and its price increases in response to the demand people have for owning it.

Again, NFTs are scummy and only a piece of ######### uses them but they technically do have value, and are not a ponzi scheme. If they were, it would be outlawed.

• fogdonkey
    Options

Sure, if you think it is a scam, you are free to think it, and for you Bitcoins or other cryptocurrencies will have zero value. Some people think it has value, some don't. This can be told about almost everything.

• MaybeShesCrazy
    MaybeShesCrazy Member Posts: 337
    edited October 2021
    Options

I cant believe I'm actually going to say something in support of what a mod said...

"Remember some peoples lives depend on this game" This is always something to keep in mind everyone. I am empathetic to that.

That being said I completely suck at translating some things for people to understand. It might be an idea for someone to post a concise thread - pinned - on how NTFs work and how they can work along with Pros and Cons of them. Most people are not going to understand them.

Education is better than fear and you can't make good choices if you don't understand. Understanding is the key to many things.

Also this is a VERY important note:

"Absolutely zero blockchain tech exists" and they can verify that if they wanted. It would ease a lot of this.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 793
    Options

Totally nothing to do with the servers being down, I'm sure.

• MaybeShesCrazy
    Options

Let me rephrase it... livelihoods. As in paying bills, eating etc. Life basics :-)

Right about now my comment "Also this is a VERY important note:

"Absolutely zero blockchain tech exists" and they can verify that if they wanted. It would ease a lot of this."

Is looking like a really good idea for them to do.

• RockoRango
    Options

NFTs are created using blockchain tech. If they said that, it would be misinformation

• MaybeShesCrazy
    Options

It all depends on the type you're referencing and how it's all implemented and place together. Not all NTF's contain what most people consider Blockchain Tech.

It's why I thought it might be a good idea to have one thread with a full explanation that's easy for an average person to understand.

Sadly I understand it - but would be the worst person ever to try to explain it.

• RockoRango
    edited October 2021
    Options

A non-fungible token (NFT) is a unique and non-interchangeable unit of data stored on a digital ledger (blockchain).[1] NFTs can be used to represent easily-reproducible items such as photos, videos, audio, and other types of digital files as unique items (analogous to a certificate of authenticity), and use blockchain technology to establish a verified and public proof of ownership. Copies of the original file are not restricted to the owner of the NFT, and can be copied and shared like any file. The lack of interchangeability (fungibility) distinguishes NFTs from blockchain cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin.

Unless wikipedia is wrong (and the argument about it being unreliable is completely bogus), NFTs are created and stored USING blockchain tech. Even if somehow everyone else is missing something and some aren't, the concept itself is extremely dangerous to the internet as a whole:

"You don't own this NFT, therefore you can't have or use it! Only I can, haha :)" - Someone trying to profit off of a copy and paste of a .jpg

• MaybeShesCrazy
    Options

Sadly that is how it's looking. A higher end programmer also would have had to know.

Not quite was I was aiming for - but thank you. You have probably helped people a bit. :-)

• MaybeShesCrazy
    edited October 2021
    Options

@Boss

I'm sorry you decided this and I hope it's for now. I feel you. I really do.

I have a love hate relationship with this game. It's a phycological mine field of poop on the best of days. (That's playing it.) Never mind the rest of the issues you mentioned.

For the foundations of the game itself, there are a lot of security holes. Very few can be patched properly without a tare down unfortunately. Financially that simply wouldn't be viable and that's a sad truth.

@Desh

Correct. It's always how I have protested something of major importance to me. Cash is King. Rather than feed into something if I am that against it. I stop feeding it. It's also why I'm empathetic in this case as well. It's hard to hit where the big boys lay without devastating the innocent. It's a fine line. One everyone needs to choose themselves. Tough calls. I don't envy anyone right now.

Post edited by MaybeShesCrazy on
  • Legionair
    Legionair Member Posts: 196
    Options

My empathy for anything BHVR has or will do is none because they give none, they don't care for a lot of their communities feedback on a lot of stuff when THEY should have had empathy and known when not to do it, I feel all this NFT stuff is a bit of karma, why should I be empathetic for BHVR who has never been empathetic for so many of their community?

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442
    edited October 2021
    Options

Life isn't this game or any game. Don't take it so seriously specially knowing the history of dbd from the start, they can do whatever they want with their game, we decide to play it or not.

• Superyoshiegg
    Superyoshiegg Member Posts: 1,479
    Options

Millions of people in developed nations are only a missed paycheck or two from poverty. That's by far not exclusive to DBD, or even the video game industry as a whole.

That's an inherent issue with capitalism, and simply playing your devs more is like applying a bandaid to a decapitation.

• MongolPSR
    MongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032
    Options

Im not trying to solve world poverty though. the what aboutism to the extreme when talking about activism is so underhanded. Lets for a second narrow our lense of view to something we are apart of. take DBD. If the argument is dont punish the devs because it will mess with their livelihood then maybe we should also concern ourselves with them being grossly underpaid. Or we can acknowledge that the devs are probably paid pretty decently and are not on the brink of ruin and the comment is only brought up as a way to silence people who feel strongly about something others fail to care about. because it is a failure to not care about this.

• MongolPSR
    MongolPSR Member Posts: 1,032
    Options

also appealing to poverty does not work for me. I have spent my entire life well under the poverty level and have scratched and clawed my way to try and get out. dont think for a second that im unsympathetic or dont understand the struggle. That still doesnt mean I cant be concerned about other things. activism doesnt mean all your energy into one thing or even the most important things. Activism means spending the energy you can on causes you believe in, to the betterment of others but not to the detriment of yourself.

• fogdonkey
    Options

I didn't look too much into the details, but it seems like Bitconnect was the scam, not the Bitcoin itself.

Example: Just because some car dealer does some fraud and operates a scammy car shop you won't say that cars in general are a scam. Right?

• MaybeShesCrazy
    Options

Most people are exactly that.

Very few have the luxury of not worrying about day to day living or have enough of a stash, or are frugal in how the live their lives that they could comfortably do that. Financial security is something majority of people don't have. Some people like me, live well under their means and could stand on their own a little longer than others. Cost of living where they reside plays a role as well.

In order to fairly say they were under paid - I'd have to look at the duties, cost of living where they are at etc. etc.

In saying that though - majority of people are under paid for the duties they perform. So yes, they probably are underpaid. IF this was all done behind their backs and they were lied to - it's even worse as there is a lack of respect for what they do on top of it all.

• fogdonkey
    Options

So just because Bitconnect was a scam it means that all cryptocurrencies are a scam? Sorry it doesn't make sense.

You can create scams like this with everything, even selling candies. Just promise a beautiful profit and you will find enough dumb people who join you. But it will not make candies a scam.

The benefits bod cryptocurrenccies is not really related to this discussion and I don't want to get into it.