I’m genuinely disgusted at BHVR supporting NFTs

Options

Comments

• MaybeShesCrazy
    MaybeShesCrazy Member Posts: 337
    Options

@RockoRango

I stand corrected. There is Blockchain Tech.

Something's not quite right. I have to say I'm a bit disturbed. We'll see how it all plays out though?

• Adaez
    Adaez Member Posts: 1,239
    Options

Hah,well he got banned eventually,guess BHVR doesn't like being called out,glad I quitted this game.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567
    Options

It is true for most of stuff in the world: their value depends on how much others are willing to pay for it.

It is also true for many things that you need to buy/sell it the right time if you want to get the most profits. If somebody bought it 10 years ago and was able to hold it until today and not sell them immediately after they e.g tripled their value, good for them. It was a risk and they were lucky, it could have turned out the other way around as well.

It is not a pyramid scheme, because the cryptocurrency is not claiming that you will get profit out of it, or that you have to invite 5 more friends, etc. If somebody is going into cryptocurrencies to see magical profits, it is their own speculation and responsibility... If they lose money in the end it is their fault for being dumb. Sure... there are companies who want to lure people into scams related to cryptocurrencies... But then that company is the scam, not cryptocurrencies in general.

And just as a note: I am not in this cryptocurrency business, but I find them interesting.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

Dunno if you saw yet, but SAW is going into this crap too, and with the next tome (after trickster now) being rumored to BE saw focused... bet your arse there will be saw tie-ins with this crap

• kosmi
    kosmi Member Posts: 363
    Options

Yo bro what is the problem with NFT. Why you lose your sh*t for that?

• AnObserver
    AnObserver Member Posts: 747
    Options

If you handed a Gas station clerk a $20 Bill and then they took out a 5 gallon barrel of gas and lit it on fire to "validate" that the $20 you gave them was legit, would you be concerned for their sanity?

• kosmi
    Options

Well when you put it like that yes. But there is another way to do it. Have an organisation that can check chems in gassoline.

Yet again what is the hysteria for NFT. All i managed to get is that is some kind of block chain, crypto what ever. Why lossing ######### over nft and not over bit coin?

• JohnWeak
    JohnWeak Member Posts: 854
    edited October 2021
    Options
  • AnObserver
    Options

Until nations all collaborate to create that oversight, it'll still be going on, partly because people that enjoy these popular NFT's and Blockchains love the lack of regulation. "The Man" isn't regulating their money or how they spend it.

And yeah, bitcoin is much worse, moreso 53 Gallons of gas per transaction. However if you're not a fan of bitcoin, why would you be a fan of the commercialization of its competitor to the point that it becomes just as bad?

• kosmi
    Options

Thank you for explanation. But i though that every blockchain technology can't be tracked. Therefore for other cryptos that is why i was confused with nft. Anyway thank you for that.

• kosmi
    Options

I think the whole point of block chain is radical decentralization. Either way you sail in dark waters without any regulation or by rules of goverment. Crypto went popular cz of no gov controll in it, i don't think it will ever be under control of the gov...

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

most likely scenario is that the 'farms' will simply be turned off one day (either cause a gov outlawed it as a whole, or because those making actual money out of it find it ran its cause and that the can now make more money out of the fallout. which is likely the plan)

• fogdonkey
    Options

Validating that you own the cryptocurrency is not resource intensive.

Saving transactions into the blockchain is the resource intensive part. (It is needed to prevent undoing past transactions).

• AnObserver
    Options

Oh, gotcha, so a better comparison would be to say

"If you were a gas station clerk that asked a customer for a $20 to pay for the gas, the customer went outside, taped the $20 to a rock, lit a 5 Gallon barrel of gas on fire, causing an explosion sending the $20 hurtling into the register , would you be concerned about their sanity?"

• fogdonkey
    Options

It is not really true what they wrote you. Better do your own research on NFTs if you want to know more about it. If you don't know what it is and don't want to look into it more, the simple answer is to just ignore this hysteria and don't buy NFTs.

• kosmi
    Options

I don't buy any crypto at all. Since radical decentralisation is anarchy in to me.

• fogdonkey
    Options

More like this:

If the customer wants to pay, they send a letter to one of the Blockchain factories saying that I am giving this money to the seller. Then the seller waits a few minutes until it receives an update from the Blockchain factory which says that this transaction was minted into a Blockchain block, which confirms that the money is now owned by the seller. The Blockchain factory uses a lot of energy which probably comes from a coal plant.

• AnObserver
    Options

Right, but now redneck the terms down.

Send a letter: Grab cash from wallet.

Perform anti-doublespend checks: Tape the cash to a rock and detonate it at the cashier. (using rough industry standard measurements)

Both parties now understand the transaction was valid (with a negative connotation): The Cashier wonders ######### that moron was thinking?

• fogdonkey
    Options

Explain it as you want, but I would not understand anything from your explanation and also would not know where does the environmental impact come from.

• AnObserver
    Options

Oh this isn't using an environmental angle.

But who in their right mind would waste 5-gallons of gas to give someone cash when you could just hand it to them, and that gas could be used for a boat or your ATV?

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,653
    Options
  • Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

As far as we know. Could be that Butterball will be NFT exclusive.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,105
    Options

Perhaps. Or perhaps they'll say that 'There's still no blockchain technology in the game and you can't trade NFTs in DBD' as an attempt at weaseling their way out. They're chatting up Epic Games on twitter apparently, so they might be fishing for a contingency plan.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,653
    Options

For some reason, I don't think they'll do anything to risk their multi-million dollar IP.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,897
    Options
  • Labrac
    Labrac Applicant Posts: 1,285
    Options

If that happens I'm going to tbag and flashlight click every Butterball that I see.

• DwarvenTavern
    DwarvenTavern Member Posts: 2,495
    Options

That is true. The reason this hurts a lot is because it's an anniversary that my friend and I started playing dbd, and it bugs the hell out of me

• throwaway79465468797
    Options

I just feel like cryptocurrency should never mingle with video games, ever. Let them stay separate in their own realms and stop trying to integrate them. They're so unlike each other. I get thatthe events here are final and they'll never truly recover from it but please... cryptocurrency does not belong here; I would appreciate if they were never enabled again. Games are for fun, so let's try to keep it that way.

• ManOMaker
    ManOMaker Member Posts: 284
    Options

Honestly they should of just done that with the Pinhead models and they would have avoided this whole fiasco.

• AnObserver
    edited October 2021
    Options

From Boss Protocol's FAQ

How is Boss Protocol involved with the Hellraiser chapter of Dead by Daylight?

Boss Protocol has the official license to create NFTs based on Hellraiser using the in-game models that were created for Dead by Daylight. The company worked with Boss Team Games who controls certain interactive rights to Hellraiser from Park Avenue Entertainment and worked with Behaviour Interactive to bring Hellraiser and Pinhead to Dead by Daylight. 

Will any Dead by Daylight content be locked behind a Boss Protocol NFT or require a Boss Protocol NFT to access?

No. The access granted via some of the Pinhead NFTs in this collection is to the Hellraiser chapter of Dead by Daylight on PC and there is no other DBD content that can be unlocked with the NFT. The NFTs exist as unique digital collectibles and have added benefits like rewarding certain owners with signed collectibles, and other benefits that will be revealed and delivered in the future.

Sidenote: The second FAQ answer contains a lie. The NFT will not grant access to DBD (and as such you cannot trade the Chapter), but rather the signup to purchase the NFT will put you into a lottery to be one of 10/10,000 that gets the DBD Hellraiser Chapter and then they give you the Chapter-key. I do not see a way in which they can link the key to the NFT without breaking Steam's ruling.

So, like with most NFT's at the moment, Boss Protocol is selling you a glorified PNG key and then sending you a lootcrate instead of literally using a goddamned subscription service that uses magnitudes less energy on database maintenance.

• slendermansmoom
    slendermansmoom Member Posts: 544
    edited October 2021
    Options

orion you will be missed but you made a good choice what BHVR did can't be forgiven

we need to show BHVR that they need to stop ruining there company/game by going on strike

ima stop for awhile if not forever as well

• ElusivePukka
    ElusivePukka Member Posts: 1,599
    Options

Considering people are posting here "gloating" - despite not understanding context, the direction of any 'boycott', and not looking beyond their egocentric views - it's unsurprising to see people acting like that. A lot of people hopped into the crypto cult after media fed a sugarcoated version of events during this year's Gamestop/AMC fiasco.

BHVR could have just waited to deal with Barker, BHVR could have been transparent rather than putting a clearly incompetent PR person on the task of derailing the NFT talk, BHVR could have done a lot of things: until they do, the best people can do is review-bomb with accurate depictions of this whole debacle, and go into their varied communities to tell people not to waste their money on this company.

• ElusivePukka
    Options

Considering that a number of people who said they're quitting have stopped posting, including some prolific backbones of this community, I'm gonna say the disgust and conviction is still going strong.

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146
    Options

absolutely, I'm just waiting for either BHVR to reconsider their deal, and change their stance on NFTs, or for BP to come out as scammers and teach BHVR the hard way.

• ElusivePukka
    edited October 2021
    Options

Only the former would make me feel personally okay spending money on my favourite game again, but the latter would definitely get me to stop advocating for others to 'wallet boycott' too.

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

My stance on this is pretty much Park Avenue was greedy scumbags cause they know there losing the rights to Clive Barker in 2 months so they made the NFT as a last resort to squeeze money before they lose the rights. BHVR was either oblivious or was forced into making this NFT with the deal being no NFT no Pinhead in DBD and you know how much they wanted Pinhead in DBD so they did it without waiting but they should have waited till December for the rights to come back.

• MyelinXCVIII
    MyelinXCVIII Member Posts: 163
    Options

I don't think BHVR were forced, they knew about it and likely just wanted to put Pinhead in the game, not caring about the NFT.