When a Boon in snuffed, it should AT LEAST destroy the bones too

Frontdoor6
Frontdoor6 Member Posts: 609
edited October 2021 in Feedback and Suggestions

I was in a killer match where it was one Boon after another, some in the same places where i found them the first time.

Survivor sets a Boon, you snuff it, then a few minutes later another shows up, sometimes in the same place.

Does this feel like an abuse of a perk? A strong perk that can be repeated over and over with no downside toward the survivors? I mean, when Survivors break a Hex, killers can't reactivate them on another Dull.

I just think this would be a reasonable change to Boons. Not the perks ability or the perks themselves, just let the Bones be broke when snuffed.

Comments

• SleepyWillo
    SleepyWillo Member Posts: 2,197

I prefer it the way it is. Survivors wont do bones now.

Let the heal. NOED dont care.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,064

Running NOED is the only time where you'd actually care about preserving the bones.

I wouldn't mind if the killer had both the option to snuff or to take longer to destroy the totem, but I do want a way to break a totem so that survivors can no longer use a certain location (or that investing time into clearing boons can actually put away the problem for good.) As it is, boons feel like blowing out trick candles; they always come back on as soon as you stop.

• DaddyFatSacks420
    DaddyFatSacks420 Member Posts: 183

I could see boon perks having a certain number of tokens, with one being used every time you bless a totem. Just spitballing maybe 3-5 starting tokens and possibly ways to earn more tokens (hook saves, cleansing hex totems...)

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I like the idea of permanently smashing the bones. I'd like Noed users to still be able to activate any remaining totem even if it was a Boon though. Then killers would have to track how many bones they had crushed if they still want their Noed to pop.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    R1ch4rd_N1x0n Member Posts: 1,731

I think the reason they made it to where it doesn't break the Totem is so NOED can still activate. But I think it would be cool if it were an option for the Killer to simply remove the blessing, or destroy the Totem entirely.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,616

It's not a good idea- the whole point of the boon mechanic is to make sure survivors are returning to the same spot over and over so that they can get utility buffs and so the killer at least knows they're going to be in one spot. From the survivor side, it's also supposed to be a safe haven you can return to if you need to, and that's not achieved if you have to seek out another spot- it's definitely not achieved if you run out of places it can go.

If the effects of boon perks are too strong to be up semi-permanently, then the effects should be tuned down; there's no point in just completely abandoning the boon totem mechanic by making it that temporary.

• OopsAllHexes
    OopsAllHexes Member Posts: 624

Why not just... put the Boon on a small cooldown when snuffed? Wouldn't that fix the issue?

• Dino7281
    Dino7281 Member Posts: 3,294
    edited October 2021

It will still work like that. Killer doesn't have to get rid of it, if he wants them to stay there.

And it doesn't really work like that now, because they can just change location even when boon is active.

This would force them to think where and when they will use boon totem. Right now, it's just brainless.

It will still be their safe haven till killer finds it. I am pretty sure it's not supposed to be safe haven with killer inside...

If your argument is valid, then why you can remove hex? It's supposed to be strong perk killer can use, but survivors can get rid of it, but it would be bad if that could happen to them? hmm, weird...

• Dino7281
  • jesterkind

I would definitely support a cooldown before you can change where you put the boon down, because you're right- it does undercut the idea of committing to a safe haven if you can just rebless it whenever. I don't think it's the most needed balance change ever, but it'd make it more consistent and I'd be fine with it. Similarly, I think that a boon totem having a cooldown after it's snuffed (but only a moderate one- thirty seconds, maybe) would help them think about where to put it since the killer snuffing it would have a little more impact. Again, I don't think this is a dramatic need but it is a little more warranted than the first idea.

CoH isn't a safe haven when the killer is inside. Shadow Step is supposed to benefit you when the killer is inside, but to be fair, that's the weaker half of it.

Hexes and Boons are not the same mechanic. They're not designed to affect the same things, they don't work the same, and they're not intended to have the same effect on the match. Trying to make one-to-one comparisons between the two simply, straight up, just does not work, period.

• Yogerman1997
    Yogerman1997 Member Posts: 374

they atleast should make the boon time increase for each snuff the killer does

• Voodoo101
    Voodoo101 Member Posts: 237

I would not worry about it, all the time they are putting boons down and healing, they are no doing gens

• Dino7281
    edited October 2021

I am not saying it's same. I am saying your argument is weird.

"It can't be nerfed, because that's how it is supposed to work."

That's not really good approach to balancing the game...

It's super broken compare to Inner Healing and killer just can't do much about it now, unless you find out who has it and tunnel the ######### out of him.

Snuff it, so they can just do it again? Yeah, that's just not worth leaving gens, or losing chase for it. There just have to be some motivation to get rid of it. Don't forget it's time spent by 1 out of 1 vs 1 out of 4.

If you don't like removing totem, then fine.

Cool-down is really not good enough, unless you make it overkill like 2 minutes, noone cares. You would just use 2 of them, so 1 is always active and before killer can get rid of second one, you will have first back.

Possible way would be to punish survivors for each time their totem gets removed. Like that healing, or blessing will take longer for each time killer snuffed it.

• jesterkind

I'm not saying it can't be nerfed, I'm saying you need to be aware of what the mechanic is supposed to do before figuring out how to tweak it. The totems being relit is the core concept behind the perk and the thing that makes it work for both sides, not a problem aspect of some other focal point.

Yeah, I agree, snuffing a totem isn't worth losing a chase or leaving a patrol, so... don't do it then? No matter what other changes they make to the mechanic, even if they totally neutered it by making totems broken on snuffing, you'd still only want to snuff the totem during downtime after a down/hook, not in the middle of a chase or instead of completing a chase, I feel like a lot of people are not managing their time efficiently when it comes to snuffing a boon.

I don't mind the idea of blessing taking longer for each time a killer snuffs a totem, though. That's not a super bad idea to encourage keeping a boon up for as long as possible on the survivor side and to make snuffing more impactful, I could just see it spiralling out of control if the values are too high, so it'd have to be done very carefully.

• Dino7281
    edited October 2021

"The totems being relit is the core concept behind the perk."

Is said where? Core concept is safe haven based on totem location that can your whole team benefit from.

Who ever said you can do it infinetly?

"don't do it then?"

You don't see nothing wrong with that?

This is basically 8 perks in 1 and killer can't get rid of it unless he kills that player, which is way harder, because of that perk...

There is no reason for a killer to keep that totem. Don't you think it's weird that survivor can destroy totem, but killer can't? Survivors are moving hands around it and destroy it, killer stomps on it and it's fine... Someone skipped leg day

• jesterkind

It's not a safe haven if you can't relight the same totem. If you can't relight the same totem, Shadow Step is markedly less useful and CoH is just a single-use heal that you can place down a few times. If it's a safe haven, it has to be more permanent than that, that's kind of what a safe haven is.

And no, I don't see the problem in telling you to time when you snuff a boon totem more effectively than just abandoning a chase to do it. You do it when that's the best option, not because you feel like you're actively being harmed by the totem simply being up. Either nobody's using it and you're free to finish the chase, or someone is using it and you can chase them instead. It's just a resource that survivors have, it's not losing you the game passively when nobody's using it.

Snuffing totems could be more impactful via cooldown or slowing down how long it takes to bless a totem that's been kicked a few times, but if the totems are broken or the perk only has a few tokens, it completely neuters the whole idea behind the perk.

• Dino7281

So it would have same system as any other totem requirement perk. Imagine Inner healing that could just use from same totem over and over again... and that would still be weaker than CoH

but still would be for your whole team and killer would still have to leave gen to actually remove it.

So bad...

You act like killer can just instantly destroy it, everytime. He sees it across the map and know exactly where to go. It's still safe haven, place where your whole team get to heal and benefit from 2 free perks.

If you can get only 1 heal from it, well. Maybe you didn't really used it smart way...

• jesterkind

I mean, yeah, but that's because Inner Healing is kind of a mediocre perk, a lot of healing perks are stronger than Inner Healing.

If the killer can see it and knows that snuffing it permanently disables the totem it's on, then it is a good idea to ignore chase and go stomp on that totem regardless of chase or gen patrolling. The counterplay wouldn't be the same- you'd get it out of the way as quickly as possible every time you see it, and then the game just doesn't have the totems in.

Now, I can practically sense the Hex comparison coming, and once again: Not the same mechanic, shouldn't function the same way.

• playhard
    playhard Member Posts: 279

nerf boon perk and totem with cooldown 90/60/30 would be very helpful to killer.

• Dino7281

The counterplay would be the same -> Killer can remove it. Right now, it's just not worth it. That's the difference.

You know that alternative to make it balanced is nerf that effect, right?

Even as survivor, I will rather nerf it in terms of using it than effect.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n
    edited October 2021

Okay? What's your point? They could go put the Boon on another Totem after you destroy that one, which could result in you destroying all of your Totems and thus, not letting you use your NOED.

It turns the Totem dull instead of breaking it so it'll leave that Totem there, so NOED or Plaything can potentially light up on it later if it isn't re-blessed.

• Dino7281

Both of those perks are worse already, because of boons. It wouldn't really change much.

It would be actually better for NOED, because you have higher chance it will spawn on totem, they didn't find yet, so it will last longer.

Plaything is #########.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

I think it would be nice if it were an option for the Killer though, to let them choose to destroy the Totem entirely or just remove the blessing.

• Dino7281

hey sure, that would be best, but I will just rather always destroy totem than don't be able to do it at all.

• R1ch4rd_N1x0n

With it being an option, Killers could choose to destroy the Totem so it doesn't get reblessed later, or leave it to potentially activate NOED on it later. I think that would be nice.