EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• Werfire
    Werfire Member Posts: 1
    Options

I want to try it on my dual boot Linux too!

• MBAdept
    MBAdept Member Posts: 14
    Options

:( Because updating a server tool and do literally 5 mouseclicks on Steam take several weeks?

• MBAdept
    MBAdept Member Posts: 14
    Options

Sorry, but I doubt that.

The UNREAL-Engine runs usually native on Linux, and the SDK for EAC is just an update without any further implements.

In case of the Steam/Proton-issue, it IS a few mouseclicks.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

thank you so much! i really appreciate your attentiveness on this! i'm looking forward to it, and we're happy to help with testing if you want!

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,517
    Options

As Steamdeck is not launching until February 2022 and I've already confirmed that we possibly won't be implementing this at launch, there are no further updates on DbD being on Steamdeck.

• nikodemo
    Options

This is true, but do note that getting the change applied earlier will let Linux users test it out.

We're ready when you are! :D

• nikodemo
    Options

Looks like SMITE has already enabled this feature for their EAC.

It's really that easy, BHVR. I bet you could get it done likity split.

• meffle
    meffle Member Posts: 11
    Options

Bumping since there's been no update. Also worth pointing out that you confirmed you'd enable this, but probably won't be in time for the steam deck launch - that's fine, but you said it before the deck got delayed. Also, it's not like we only want this support for the deck itself, I'd imagine a large amount of new/returning players would just be from Linux on a desktop.

• jomarocas
    jomarocas Member Posts: 11
    Options

you are don't interesting in make support for linux, is simply the quota es very low, but thinking in this, only you need to update the eac to latest version, and is all, the rest the users are beta testers and all that happen later is for developers of wine or vk3d3, the only of users want is support EAC, i think the game works out of the box but we need support of devs of this game, but i cannot believe that you wait until steam deck, i want play in linux, i forget this game because is the only game that i no play in linux, and of course i don't have the popup the show me the survey if i play in linux, the quota can be grow, but steam has a bug with this, the quota can be of 3% or more, thinking 1800 users play in linux or more

• InnCognito
    InnCognito Member Posts: 720
    edited January 2022
    Options

I honestly have no issues with them not allowing this game or any online competitive game to be played on linux.

I did quite a bit in college with linux. Anticheats just simply cannot run on Open Source operating systems and be trusted. There is too much a person can freely manipulate and circumvent in Linux, UNIX and Open source OS. Sure, i am a Debian, Ubunti, and fan of Mint. but I do realize and RESPECT the company's decision on what they have done for this very reason.

• cr0ydon
    cr0ydon Member Posts: 5
    Options

I strongly agree with several comments made in this thread.

Basically, if you update EAC to allow Linux you will get a huge amount of work done for free by players regarding testing, quality assurance and bug reporting. And you will help the development of the compatibility layers (by potentially showcasing what is missing), so it will be finished earlier.

None of this costs a single Dollar for you, but it certainly will make Linux users happier (yes, even if DbD might now actually run in the beginning) and DbD on the Steam Deck will be earlier ready which might help you to make even more money.

• slowmotion
    slowmotion Member Posts: 3
    Options

Sad that it wasn't mentioned on the future update post. My friends have been pestering me about playing this game for ages.

• Mandy
    Options

That's because there's no further news on this. We have confirmed that it will not be on SteamDeck at launch and we do not currently have a date when it will be on Steamdeck - we've confirmed nothing else in relation to this.

• slowmotion
    Options

Thx for the response. I was just concerned that it wasn't mentioned in the future part that had no particular timeframe. Glad it's not forgotten :)

• Gottlos
    Gottlos Member Posts: 105
    Options

Just adding my name to the hat for people that would love Steamdeck support, DBD would definitely be one of the games I would love to play on it.

• Haku
    Haku Member Posts: 614
    Options

Just to add something myself since I just read something interesting from another dev \Warhammer: Vermintide 2\ on steam forums. According to him and Ill quote " EAC has two versions. Non-EOS and EOS (Epic Online Services). Most games historically use Non-EOS EAC. It's the one Vermintide 2 uses as well. Epic only added Proton support for the EOS version of EAC. Therefor in order to implement proton support for Vermintide 2, a huge amount of reworking of the EAC implementation would be required, which may also require all players to authenticate with Epic Online Services as well -- perhaps even logging in to the Epic environment (to be confirmed, however)." So careful with that please ! You rush anything Epic related on Steam without announcments way before happening and there may be a missive backlash like the Tomb Raider games had recently!

• nikodemo
    Options

I haven't heard of any Epic account requirements for SMITE, so I imagine it's all backend stuff.

Question is, then, does DbD use the EOS EAC or the older non-EOS EAC?

@MandyTalk would you be able to find out for us?

• Mandy
    Options

That's not information that we are making public.

I just reiterate that all we've confirmed is that we will support Steamdeck (we have not said anything about proton/linux on PC) and its unlikely to be available at launch.

• nikodemo
    Options

Ah ok. Well, all in good time then!

• Stephen304
    Stephen304 Member Posts: 27
    Options

This is fantastic news! Now both EAC and BattleEye games can support linux in actually a few clicks. No changes to game code or SDK updates required. I've been wanting to play DBD for so long, thanks to Valve bending over backwards to get game developers access to these easy options maybe we will be able to play soon :)

@MandyTalk In case news hasn't reached the devs yet, do make sure they hear of this recent update which should make the task much easier. In a few days the deck compatibility ratings will start going live, but I'm sure it will still be a while before the testers get to DBD. It would obviously be better for DBD to start out with a good deck compatibility rating rather than require a re-test.

From the new Steamworks documentation:

Easy Anti-Cheat

Proton supports Easy Anti-Cheat without requiring any recompilation, but it does require you to manually enable support for your build by following these steps in order:

1. Go into the EAC settings on the EAC partner site and enable Linux support from the dashboard.

2. Once that's done, download the EAC Linux library (easyanticheat_x64.so) for the SDK version integrated with your game, and add it to your depot next to the Windows library (EasyAntiCheat_x64.dll).

3. Lastly, on the Steamworks site, publish a new build of your game containing the new depot contents. (You don't have to make any changes to the game executable, just include the new files in the depot contents.)

So now the steps are, ticking the box on the dashboard, and adding the correct .so file to the game depot and publishing that. No new builds, sdk updates, or recompiling required.

Also of note regarding resubmitting for re-testing:

If your title's functionality was previously blocked or limited by anti-cheat, but you've since completed the above steps to enable Proton/Steam Deck support, you can resubmit your game for a follow-up review. Please see the Steam Deck Compatibility Review documentation for more details.

• cweam
    cweam Member Posts: 4
    Options

Fantastic news, I hope this will get implemented soon!

• MarcMil
    MarcMil Member Posts: 11
    Options

I'm so hyped for hopefully eventually be able to ditch Windows :D

• Pr0p3r9
    Pr0p3r9 Member Posts: 111
    Options

This needs to be enabled as fast as possible. Games on Steam that do not have this change made will be marked as unsupported for Steam Deck/Linux, which may make future Steam Deck users hesitant to buy and play the game. Showing confidence in EAC on the Steam Deck in crucial to obtaining the trust of this new market of consumers.

• Mandy
    Options

Please note, as I have already said in this thread...we are enabling for Steamdeck, that is not saying the game is going to be available for linux or proton on the PC - we do not have this information at this stage.

But we will not be launching DbD on the Steamdeck at the launch of the Steamdeck - it will be some time after.

• slowmotion
    Options

Just because they won't support it, doesn't mean it won't work. Initially steam only supported Ubuntu even if it worked on other distroes.

I think Mandy has communicated clearly that

1. they won't commit to anything more than supporting the steam deck at the moment.
    2. They won't discuss the way the anti-cheat is implemented.
    3. It will come sometime after the steam deck is released.

Most companies have quality control to test that things are working, even after "clicking a button".

• cweam
    cweam Member Posts: 4
    Options

I understand completely, slowmotion, and to repeat I don't mean to sound bemeaning or demanding at all. However, I think it'd be a mistake to wait until after the SteamDeck has been released to enable EAC support. I guess I sound a little bit impatient (SteamDeck is releasing in a month anyways), but that's only because I used to love this game and can't wait to play it again.

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

BHVR, make last step for support linux, pls