Proximity chat why is that not a thing

Smuk
Smuk Member Posts: 735

As title says

Comments

• ggezbaby
    ggezbaby Member Posts: 404

I’m not sure. I think a VGS system would be nice though, so people could communicate even while not having a mic. It would also completely fix the solo situation.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,710

I tried out the free weekend of First Class Trouble which reminded me how I despise voice chat with randoms.

sounds cool in theory but turns into a mess pretty much always.

• cheetox
    cheetox Member Posts: 5

I feel like proximity chat could be cool, but ONLY if you can completely mute/disable it, as someone above already said.

I personally wouldn't use it, since I really don't want to get yelled at, because we all know how toxic this community can be.

But like, now that I think about it, it'd be unfair for the killer. SWFs are already living hell for most killers and now imagine proximity chat, literally 90% would quit playing killer imo. It's a nice idea, but it would make things much more complicated, toxic and just straight-up bad, yeah sure there could be funny moments and such, but we all know those would be rare.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Would be nice if it was like phasmaphobia.

Distant screams are hilarious

• Smuk
    edited November 2021

Thats the community yes.

Its much simpler and better method than emotes.

Some prefer to speak, other dont. DJ can be muted. But basic comms as lets do gen, heal me, ill go help that guy is not a game breaker. Not as using discord chat

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

If I remember right the devs talked about why they didn’t include chat and proximity chat a while back. Basically they expected people who were interested in using chat to end up using Discord or whatever, but they didn’t want players to feel forced to engage in chat in the game, and they felt that the game’s atmosphere works better with communications off. So while they don’t consider communications “cheating” or anything they also aren’t going out of their way to encourage it or build it into the game.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,065

I like the idea, and it'd fix the main issue with solo queue and allow this game to be balanced properly for the first time in five years (the big issue is that comms exist, but the game is built on the premise of survivors not having information by default), but I'm ninety-nine-repeating positive it's never going to happen. Why? BHVR clearly wants to police the text chat, and they can't. Voice chat is several magnitudes harder to handle, especially when they don't have records of matches to fall back on. And while I can imagine plenty of ways that would improve my games, being able to convey intentions to my teammates or even the survivors, I'm pretty sure I'd get demoralized and turn off voice chat by the end of day two. The community is pretty compulsively horrible and I don't care to know what a lot of these people would be saying if they could do more than tbag and click or facecamp and hit me on the hook. And that's not even getting into the incoherent shrieking and the twelve year olds and the horny creepers and the internet-mandatory racism/sexism/homophobia.

At least when you permanently mute endgame chat, it has no effect on your gameplay. With comms, it's a harder choice, at least when you're playing survivor - risk being abused by both your opponent and your teammates, or play worse by cutting off what is an objective performance booster?

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

I'd quit this game in a heart beat if I was forced to use comms and also forced to hear others insult and berate me on comms every match.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

Then turn voice chat off and let us solo q players delegate who will go forthe Lament Configuration.

Swf is how DVD should be played, it's not breaking the game. What's breaking the game is BHVR Not accommodating that with solo q

• Exxodus21
    Exxodus21 Member Posts: 1,170

Because it would make the game harder for survivors, and it would make BHVR have to take responsibility for the toxicity they allow to thrive in the community.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

The answer can be found by looking at other games that have it.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

Ping system? Sure. Deathgarden did it just fine.

VC is a NEVER for me and most of the community.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295
    edited November 2021

Swf is certainly not how the game was meant to be played. In fact it wasnt in the game at launch. It was added later. Voice chat gives way too much information. Depip squad proved this. Swf is destroying the game because bhvr only balances around the crazy notion that survivors dont work together.

Look at old OoO. Killers were begging bhvr to fix this perk. Bhvr looked at their precious data and said "its hardly used. The killers dont know what they are talking about". The devs failed to realize in a swf, 1 person equips the perk and they all benefit. It was common for 4 man swfs to virtually call out the killers location throughout the match.

Not to mention there are a lot of perks that serve zero function when you can talk to people. Its blatantly obvious swf is not the intended method to play the game. Why introduce perks such as kindred, empathy, bond if you could talk to eachother.

• Smuk

No matter the language barrier, heal, come, go, help is common word everybody underastand.

After all its proximity chat, so we are talking on 10m distance, not like SWF

offtopic:

Today I tried some builds with nurse, and I had nurse calling in thr game. Was chasing on top floor, below guy started to heal, as i charged blink, he was informed and start to run.

Global chat is broken, proximity is different story

• SunsetSherbet

No. Because then you'll start DCing or coming here to demand punishment to people who don't use voice chat. That's the problem. It is a massive advantage and thus if someone on your team isn't using it if it's available, they are hurting the team and that will likely result in DC's, sandbags, and complaints here and elsewhere. Putting voice chat in the game is forcing it to be used. You will have to use it regardless of if there is an option to turn it off.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,065

At the same, it'd not fair to balance the game around the notion that there is no communication when it's so popularized and so blatantly improves performance. I understand if this isn't a question you can answer, but has the team ever considered adding more elements of information to try and equalize the gap between comms-SWF and solo? Like improving the HUD for survivors so that it shows if you're being chased, working on a gen, doing a totem, opening a gate, or healing in addition to what it currently displays, or having pre-written (and translated) messages players can scroll through and send out that convey their status or intentions (i.e., don't rescue me, I found a totem, the killer is [Pyramid Head], I'm going for the save, we need to do gens, stop doing that), or making all survivors' perks visible to each other so that players can better plan around their teammates?

• BadLooperQ
    BadLooperQ Member Posts: 277

If languages are a problem, just put a line wheel ingame, whatever... How can SWF have all advantages while solos are just killer guinea pigs

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Just make it opt-out.

Overwatch has native VC and Blizzard do a fairly good job of policing it.

• SunsetSherbet

You can't really opt out of it in games like this without hurting your team and basically griefing them. Overwatch is not an asymmetrical game nor do the two side in a match work toward completely separate goals. In F13 you NEEDED to use voice chat for various things. It was barely an option. You were a massive drag on the team if you couldn't tell people you found the battery, or that you were repairing the phone lines, or that you had the car fixed and ready to go. Then you have a game like Phasmophobia where it isn't even an option since the game relies on voice recognition and isn't playable without it short of using a sound board.

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718

I love F13 proximity chat. If a player annoys you you mute their tag, but not everyone is like you guys ;)

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

Imo, voice chat isn't worth discarding because of the 76 people that don't know even basic words like "gen" "heal" "hi" etc.

And generally, I don't think that, in Europe at least, there are that many people that don't understand ANY English at all. Nowdays pretty much any gamer knows English.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,089

You can use the search function to find a lot of Threads from other people who did not thought about this idea well enough. Then you have the answer why Ingame Voicechat is not a solution.

More information for Solos to lift them up to SWF-Level (or as close as possible) - yes. But Voicechat - hell, no.

• SunsetSherbet

That's cool but you're not a company trying to sell a product. They're not going to take a stance of "English matters only" when the devs themselves aren't even primarily English speakers.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Europe servers would be hell with all the russian players who cant speak english.

• Smuk

Do you really have to spread your negativity on every post that is made in this forum?

• Marigoria

How am I being negative? Maybe you're american and are used to everyone speaking english, but europe has a lot of languages, and a lot of russian players don't understand english.

• Smuk

Im european, and as you mentioned ur from the us,

I wonder how you can have sucha experiances how european cant speak english (with irony to murica)

• Marigoria

I never said I'm from the US. I've stated several times I'm in the EU.

• I dont see any problems with proximity chat either... because the killer can hear you and that can be used as another form of information.

The only problem proximity voice chat has going against it is the childish demeanor most people have while sitting comfortably at home.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

If or when they add it I hope it comes with the option to shut it off.

• aknitus
    aknitus Member Posts: 124

Phasmophobia has proximity chat that some trolls use in some very rare matches to play insanely loud and screeching music. Trolls like those could ruin the experience for everyone in a game like DBD.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

Mandy It could be possible to add a prefered languaje like crossplay on/off so everyone who set languaje as English comes to a pool that can play together while maintaining the option to invite your friends despite languaje selected.

• fogdonkey
    fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

I used to play CS and the voice chat worked most of the time. Occasionally there were some crazy guys who had to be muted.

• Psycho_
    Psycho_ Member Posts: 360
    edited November 2021

other games use markers etc. i think in game systems should be on par or as close as you can to voice comms, maybe a quick chat wheel with. 1.on gen

2.going for save

3.being chased

4.cleansing totem

etc... thats all we need

Also... proximity chat would be a nightmare. so many people can't act like adults in this game and baby rage all time over the tiniest things.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,487

So then what about a ping system? Or just more information on the hud to show what your teammates are doing, such as a little generator, totem or chest icon at the bottom of their portrait.

Hell it seems like you guys are going the route of making characters have voice lines, what about "proximity voice lines?" Where you have a wheel to select many different quips your character can say, such as "The Killer is coming!" or "Generator! Over here!" You can still make the game immersive by making the character speak their native language, and it would be a big step forward to help out Solo Q.

Communication in a game like this is key, and its truly what separates Solo Q and SWF. To get even a small portion of what SWF has as a Solo Q you need perks, which SWF otherwise wouldnt need, meaning they get more freedom in their choices of builds.

• Liam282
    Liam282 Member Posts: 219
    edited November 2021

Or you could just have a symbol beside the characters (gen,hex,chase,gate,roaming) that clearly tells everyone in the group what's going on. (Yes this is from Vhs, but it's commonsense for solo players.)

• Midori_21
    Midori_21 Member Posts: 723

McLean said on stream something along the lines of "Proximity chat was something we discussed in the early days of development, and decided it wasn't the direction we wanted to go."

• Zozzy
    Zozzy Member Posts: 4,759

Insert addition of SWF and continued balance like it never happened.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

oh boy, having to listen to voice comms as killer when I play killer to not have to ever possibly deal with voice chat. How fun. /s

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,165

I think VHS took that player DBD player suggestions because solo players have been requesting that for the longest time now. There's alot VHS is adding that I've seen players beg DBD to put in their game for years now. 😂

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Having played F13 for over 1k hours, I can attest that while it does happen, not every lobby is that way.

DBD could easily just add optional voice for those who want to voice, and a mute option for those who don't.

• glitchboi
    glitchboi Member Posts: 6,017

Proxy chat should be a custom game feature at most. It would be fun.

In public games? Hell no, god no, christ on a stick no.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

Any feature declared optional that gives an advantage de facto isn't, because you'll be bullied and shamed into using it if you just want to play. Not using VC? Team'll throw.