Smartface Bubba doesnt need to be removed

Options

Comments

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

If I understand the argument, he's saying that it could also be used by bigots to display bigotry. This was, if I recall, the first reply to BHVR's announcement of the charm (something along the lines of 'oh yay now I'll get tunneled for wearing it).

In both cases, you have an innocuous, if not well intentioned element of the game that could 'enable' bigotry.

What he's essentially arguing is that it sets a silly precedent.

At least that's my impression.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,631
    Options

Nobody is saying it's just the Bubba players, however it's a tool allowing implicit racism. That was explicit racism and entirely bannable

• Mazoobi
    Mazoobi Member Posts: 1,499
    Options

I get what you're saying and it would just be weird if Bubba only had Meg or Dwight's face, but excluded Claudette and Jake's.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

However there is a difference between the pride charm and blackface Leatherface.

Nobody uses blackface Leatherface to represent themselves and display pride in their identities in the match. It's not like there's some movement to do so either, when you have several characters for representation (such as Dwight, Meg, Claudette, Adam, Elodie, Jake, Zarina). However people do use the pride charm for that.

Furthermore, people equip blackface Leatherface to be racist, people equip the pride charm and have homophobic/transphobic actions against them. A better comparison would be asking about removing every non-white survivor, to which the logical answer would be "######### no".

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

No, and nobody is arguing that it will. However, you can be implicitly racist, and explicitly racist, and what you described is the latter. It is also much easier to prove, and thus much easier to ban for. Removing the tool for implicit racisim means they'll either have to be explicitly racist- and thus risk a ban- or keep their views to themselves- which enables people to be far more comfortable while playing.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,398
    Options

...Then I actually just don't see the issue. If the racist keeps their opinion to themselves, then what's the effective difference between a 'normal' bubba player using the cosmetic, versus an actual racist using it as a blackface...thing. (I'm too tired to think of the correct terminology anymore.)

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Because being implcitly racist isn't keeping your views to yourself, it's displaying them in a way hard to prove however still entirely capable of causing the desired effect.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,398
    Options

I suppose you're right, but it still feels to me like that's going to be an edge-case. To that effect, the proposed change feels like an overreaction to me.

But, again, I'm aware I'm going to be biased. It's not up to me, either way.

• throwaway79465468797
    Options

So ban those people for being racist. And continue banning those people until they catch on and stop being so deliberate about their ignorance. Don't cave in to stupidity and stoop to their level just because it is an ugly annoyance. Show them why they are being ugly. Sometimes you have to show people what is acceptable and what is not, because they may have never been taught that.

Because the minute you cave under pressure they will keep doing more and more ugly things until there's nothing left to enjoy in the game. So remove the ugliness first, then we can talk about what is still relevant

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607
    Options

It's probably up to the License holders if it got removed anyway.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,119
    Options

You're a big supporter of a LGBT character being added to DBD. If a character was added and ######### begin using that character to harass LGBT streamers, would you advocate for that characters' removal? Or would you just want the ######### ban.

• StarLost
    Options

Sure.

My easiest example would be the maybe once-a-fortnight message I get in postgame threatening to report me for 'tunneling someone because they had a pride charm'.

Bad actors could target down these characters, and it would be incredibly difficult to prove their intent.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,119
    Options

If a killer, then the same as what they are saying with Leatherface. If a survivor, body blocking, blowing gens, vaulting windows, unhook spamming, etc.

• StarLost
    Options

What he's saying is that the second you set apart a character by some minority identity characteristic, you 'empower' people to display their bigotry by giving people playing these characters a hard time, much as the argument here goes 'giving Bubba a non-white face option empowers these people to act in a racist way'.

I...think.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

No, just like I'm not advocating for the removal of all non-White survivors. What kind of ######### strawman is this

• Psycho_
    Psycho_ Member Posts: 355
    Options

i think it represents the original survivors its all it will/has ever meant to me. i've used them all before. idc what you use.

• throwaway79465468797
    Options

It's entirely possible that some people grow up without the fear of consequence

• Leatherface1990
    Leatherface1990 Member Posts: 718
    Options

Did Bubba say something racist to you? He just mumbles and stuff LOL.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options
  • throwaway79465468797
    Options

Fear of consequence has a lot to do with racism... it means someone has never scolded them for their actions, or prevented them from doing certain things while in a terrible, distraught frame of mind.

I can tell you 100% that you will not solve racism by removing store items from the game. That's the worst band-aid I've ever heard of.

• throwaway79465468797
    Options

Sounds like you're not even concerned about racism in the slightest. Just semantics...

I actually feel pity when I read your comments

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090
    Options

Except someone said that a smart face bubba facecamping a black survivor is racist. Just read the thread.

• lordfart
    lordfart Member Posts: 538
    Options

I know swathes of people that think "it's not racism if it's true" unfortunately -.-

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,489
    Options

Even if someone said it like that it doesn’t make this discussion about that?

it is about players that are using Smart face Bubbas to then harass streamers that are people of color or only target and harass players that use characters in-game that are people of color.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,653
    Options

Had to post the same thing to the same user earlier, haha.

Was tickled to see this @_@

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

You don't actually have to agree with or understand why someone is offended in order to take their feelings seriously and try to make a space more welcoming for them.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,534
    Options

Oh no, not this discussion again.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,094
    Options

I'm hoping removing smart face is a deal breaker for the license holder and Bubba gets removed. Not many were playing Bubba except for memes before Billy nerf. To get more buying/playing Bubba they nerfed Billy so Bubba would be the more appealing chainsaw killer. Remove Bubba - Billy can return to his glory days as #1 chainsaw killer and racist players won't be able to harass with blackface killer, it's a win/win.

• LeonxJiwoon
    LeonxJiwoon Member Posts: 455
    Options

I agree delete bubba and bring back billy boy. Much respectable than this bloat whale spoil brat killer, hail all billies we want you back!!!!

• Unicorn
    Unicorn Member Posts: 2,340
    Options

I feel like this thread is softcore gaslighting poc, but I’m not gonna reach that far.

• Voriis
    Voriis Member Posts: 131
    Options

I wish we would get the rest of the survivors as faces. A Jeff skin mask would be pretty cool looking.

• NoelleMina
    NoelleMina Member Posts: 638
    Options

Well, the developers (or whatnot) are wanting to change it soo.. yeah.

A good replacement could be clothes. Clothes of similar style to the og four. Like gardening wear, a uniform and tie, athletic wear, survivalist clothes. I’m talking completely different outfits for Bubba to imitate them.

Better than just “masks”, if you ask me. It’d be a win-win, wouldn’t it?

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    Options

After reading several pages...I'm still having a very hard time imagining a person go "Bubba wearing Claudette's face?! This is the PERFECT outlet for me to share my subtle brand of racism."

It's not blackface.

Bubba isn't performing the act for racist reasons.

You would have to really stretch the data available to you to accuse someone of using the skin in a racist manner (Because, you know, there are plenty of people who tunnel Claudette for OTHER reasons.)

And does anyone here really think that a racist puts on this skin and scratches their racist hardon? This last one is rhetorical I'm sure some of you contrarian nuts will chime in and say absolutely.

• IronKnight55
    IronKnight55 Member Posts: 2,897
    Options

Nope, not for the people that liked the masks and worked to unlock them. It's a silly thing to remove (if they decide to).

• enormous_bruh_moment
    Options

Bubba brutally murders people, butchers them, and wears their skin as a mask.

How is the race of his victim the problem in this whole process? Why is this remotely relevent?

You people are just looking to be offended at anything you possibly can. It doesn't matter. Sticks and stones. Move on.

If you can't handle it, then you are too fragile to exist online.

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

Checks out except for the fact that I've been repeating almost word for word things that poc friends have told me about it and their experiences 🧍

• GoodBoyKaru
    Options

If you'd looked at the responses for more than half a second you'd know this to be false jfc.

• SloppyVoldemort
    SloppyVoldemort Member Posts: 452
    Options

It's funny that when Bubba was released and people were earning and wearing the faces, nobody complained.

Now it's a huge issue because some people are offended just by seeing the color black (I'm making this a lot bigger, I know). But those people have absolutely NO problem that Meg and Dwight their faces are on Bubba. Isn't that racist as well then? Or is that different?

I don't think the faces need to be removed. I would add more faces to Bubba so people have more incentive to choose faces. And people have to grow a skin (hihi) and grow up. Not everything in the world is racist.

Racist people are going to be racist anyway, they don't need an Bubba face to do so.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

What sort of situation would this leave us in if BHVR gets permission to remove this cosmetic, but can't renegotiate it to something else? Or is only allowed to change this one (maybe extend this to Jake, too).

Wouldn't that just offend a different set of people?

Not even counting the part where bigots might still use the Claudette-specific cosmetic to specifically target people, as making it less obvious won't necessarily change the incentive, and it'll obviously be on everybody's minds for a while to insure the conclusions can still be reached.

This discussion has been closed.