Flashlight click penalty

Ssajbambusa
Ssajbambusa Member Posts: 496

I came up with this during one of the discussions as one guy brought up flashlight clickers as a toxic thing.

I stopped caring about tbags or clicks quite some time ago, but due to nature of the game and often situations where one side just have it easy and other literally has nothing to work with (3 strong tiles connected together or the opposite, no pallets or strong windows whatsoever) it can lead to sensation of helplessness intensified by the other side trying to rub it in.

It did annoy me too at times, not going to lie and pretend like I'm above everything.

There is a ridiculously easy 'solution' to the flashlights being annoying.

Each click to turn the flashlight on consumes 0,3 of a second of it's use time + normal consumption for the time it actually shines. Click all you want, 30 clicks and your battery is gone.

To not penalize people who are not mentally in the kindergarten I would also add something between a second or two of extra use to even it out. (4 initial clicks is worth of 1,2 s in this scenario and 3+ flashlight saves are common so the math checks out).

Flashlight click penalty 37 votes

Make the click to turn flashlight on consume small amount of it's charge, but even it out by adding extra second or two to the base charges
48%
TapeKnotmusstang62MrPenguinSakurragetuy45u4iuBoobaHerachi_SakuraGazgemauchSsajbambusashinobu149MalikenShadowNurseZFXPlsfix369RoaderFrostPinkCaffieneFauldsStarrseedCowabungaDude 18 votes
Lmao, git gud, st00pid idea
24%
White_OwlAven_Fallenanonymous31337HannonCaptnSquanchiegilgamerAnneBonnykekprodEddyStylez 9 votes
Other
27%
IrisoraSuperSaiyan4GTTatariuCluelessdugmanNoOneKnowsNovaNathan13Bennett_They1ThemViamontGarlicRice 10 votes

Comments

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785
    Other

Just make it so you can't use it a certain amount of times within a second or two.

This is mainly because flashlight macros give me headaches, otherwise I don't really mind it.

• Ssajbambusa
    edited November 2021
    Make the click to turn flashlight on consume small amount of it's charge, but even it out by adding extra second or two to the base charges

@NoOneKnowsNova I can't agree with this, because sometimes you screw up the timing and notice it during the flashing... so you can still pause for split second to correct the initial error and get the flashlight save.

Your solution makes it impossible, while mine just burns a little bit more of the flashlight. Also one macro use and the flashlight would be empty with this on click penalty.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,785
    Other

Sorry I should've phrased that much better, I mean something like 5 or 6 times, not just more than once. Using it twice or thrice in a second or two is normal as you may have missed the blind originally or have mistimed the blind for a save and you want to correct your actions. Anything more however and it's clear the intent isnt to be nice.

• Ssajbambusa

@NoOneKnowsNova Yup, can agree with this now and would actually like to see it in game.

It would still be more funny to see a moron use macro and burn the whole battery in a second or two.

• Bennett_They1Them
    Bennett_They1Them Member Posts: 2,513
    edited November 2021
    Other

I think it's important to remove to keep the game accessible (like, flashlight clicking can be an epilepsy trigger).

• Ssajbambusa

@Bennett_They1Them Like I posted before I cannot agree with removing the clicking entirely and here's whiy:

sometimes you screw up the timing and notice it during the flashing... so you can still pause for split second to correct the initial error and get the flashlight save. Your solution makes it impossible, while mine just burns a little bit more of the flashlight.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713
    Other

The only thing annoying about flashlight macros is the loud staticky noise they make. If they only have the flashlight make that noise once or twice per second regardless of how many times its turned on or off that would eliminate that annoying sound.

• Ssajbambusa

@Bennett_They1Them I'm not going to lie, I didn't do it successfully even a single time myself... I simply noticed people in vods doing this and I find it really cool to watch - someone thinking so fast in the heat of the moment.

• Irisora
    Irisora Member Posts: 1,442
    Other

As others said, a way to forbid flashlight macros.

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046

Clicky flashlights used to be annoying, but not anymore. It just gives me a headache. I will be happy if they will change this mechanism.

• ImBrakingBike
    ImBrakingBike Member Posts: 454

The thing with "getting rid of something because it annoys me" is where do we stop?

• Viamont
    Viamont Member Posts: 304
    Other

Personally i find it anoying, but i can ignore it, the real problem is people who are prone to epilepsy atacks, i have seen a few topics here and there and they are totally right. More than an anoyance, this quick burst of light could potentially trigger someone with epilepsy, being anoyed its one thing, but to endanger someones life its a completly diferent matter, flashlights should have a cooldown more of a precaution than anything else...

• Ssajbambusa

@Viamont Click penalty would empty a flashlight when used with macro in second or two, I doubt anyone would ever do thiis again if the penalty was implemented.

• SuperSaiyan4GT
    SuperSaiyan4GT Member Posts: 144
    Other

The fact that this bothers you is the reason why survivors do it.

• idc
    idc Member Posts: 51

I personally don't use it to be toxic. I more use it to get my teammates attention without wasting a whole bunch of charge. But not a st00pid idea I just don't like it

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786
    edited December 2021
    Lmao, git gud, st00pid idea

It would be just a waste of the devs' time to implement a penalty for something that has no gameplay effect whatsoever. Just ignore the clicker, you'll see him grow more desperate for your attention and maybe even do stupid mistakes.

• Ssajbambusa

@White_Owl It literally is one line of code, don't be overdramatic. Trapper buff was awesome and we need more things like this.