Barbecue&Chilli / Distortion buffs

Robb_Stark
Robb_Stark Member Posts: 87
edited March 2019 in Feedback and Suggestions

Barbecue & Chilli can be countered by getting within 40 metres from the hooked Survivor or by hiding behind a Generator so it doesn't hurt stealth as much as other perks and addons do (as it has some countermeasures). Therefore, Distortion and Lockers should not work against this perk.
That being said, it would be nice if the sentence "The aura display cannot be prevented by any means." were added to Barbecue & Chilli .

Now that one of the most prized Killer perks isn't affected by Distortion and Lockers anymore, buffing Distortion should no longer cause any inconvenience.
Distortion should exist to nullify/noticeably delay those perks/addons/abilities that reveal your location and offer no counterplay.

This version of Distortion would be much better:

You start the Trial with 5 Tokens.
When your Aura or Location would be shown to the Killer, the Perk activates and a Token is consumed.
For the next 10/20/30 seconds while the Perk is activated, neither your Aura or Location will be shown to the Killer.

Distortion now counters:
Bitter Murmur
Rancor
Legion's Ability
Doctor's Ability, but unlike Calm Spirit it does not prevent the scream
Whispers

Post edited by Robb_Stark on

Comments

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    Okay then?
    But how does that work on Whispers
  • CookieBaws
    CookieBaws Member Posts: 619
    edited January 2019

Buff BBQ? Are you high?
    It's already cheap after gens are finished.

• List_of_concerns
    List_of_concerns Member Posts: 182

My gut tells me that Distortion was created specifically to counter BBQ & Chili and Bitter Murmur. It arrived with Jeff and Legion, but it doesn't counter being detected by Legion's power. I'm guessing it was made to help counter the most common aura detection perks, which are BBQ & Chili and Bitter Murmur. In other words, I think it's working as intended when it comes to soft countering (so few tokens) BBQ & Chili.

• Robb_Stark

@Milo said:
    Okay then?

As soon as the Survivor who uses Distortion gets within Whispers range (48/40/32 metres of the Killer), a token is consumed and Whispers activation (as well as any other aura/location perk) is prevented for the next 10/20/30 seconds ( Whispers does not light up for the Killer and no actual whispers can be heard), but only against the said Survivor. If the Survivor remains within Whispers range after these 10/20/30 seconds are over, another token is consumed.

If multiple Survivors find themselves within Whispers range and all of them use Distortion, Whispers activation is prevented and every Survivor within range looses 1 token. However, if not all the Survivors within range use Distortion, Whispers triggers and remains active until those who don't run the perk leave the area.

30 seconds is plenty of time for a Killer to leave the area.

• Robb_Stark

@CookieBaws said:
    Buff BBQ? Are you high?

I know BBQ is really strong already, but it is not one of the most dangerous detection perks as there are some ways to counter it. However, BBQ is the reason why everyone gets so triggered when somebody suggests a buff to Distortion (as this would encourage camping), so if it were unaffected by this perk no one would have any problem if Distortion were buffed so that it counters the detection perks/abilities that actually offer no counterplay.

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

@List_of_concerns said:
    My gut tells me that Distortion was created specifically to counter BBQ & Chili and Bitter Murmur. It arrived with Jeff and Legion, but it doesn't counter being detected by Legion's power. I'm guessing it was made to help counter the most common aura detection perks, which are BBQ & Chili and Bitter Murmur. In other words, I think it's working as intended when it comes to soft countering (so few tokens) BBQ & Chili.

Don't forget Nurse's, much more popular and actually much more dangerous than BBQ. BBQ is really just there for the grind. But Distortion works against Scratched Mirror/Vanity Mirror Myers too. (Has anyone tested if it works against Blood Warden's aura reading?)

Btw, the real usefulness of Distortion is that it helps you to learn IF the killer uses any of the above. By the time you run out of tokens, you'll probably know which aura reading perks they use, so you have a much easier time to counter those.

@Robb_Stark , if you'd want to include Rancor, Madness, Killer Instinct, Iron Maiden, it would cause a lot of confusion. The term "aura reading perk" is quite clearly defined, whereas perks and abilities that show you location of survivors are not as uniform. I feel some of it would actually make sense, but then the devs would have to be extremely precise and list all the affected (and unaffected) killer perks, powers, addons, etc. They usually fail when it comes to accurate perk description, so I'm doubtful.

• Robb_Stark

@List_of_concerns said:

That is the issue with Distortion. It helps with BBQ, a perk that had plenty of counterplay already, while all the other perks that reveal your location for doing Generators or simply if the killer gets close can't be avoided, which is ridiculous.

Distortion doesn't counter Bitter Murmur although this is one of the detection perks that should be completely cancelled by it (unlike other perks/abilities that should only be delayed by Distortion). You will run out of tokens when you need them the most, when the Exit Gates are powered and the killer has NOED, or even sooner if you worked on Generators a lot.

Is it that big of a deal if Distortion counters those detection Killer perks that shouldn't have been in the game in the first place? Using a detection perk to know where every Survivor is, without offering them any possible way to avoid it is even more disgusting than Decisive Strike. At least against DS you can use Enduring, Rancor, play the Doctor with Unnerving Presence if you really want to counter it, but as a Survivor you can't do anything about these wallhacks.
    In addition, this buff to Distortion doesn't even completely counter everything as most perks/abilities will just be considerably delayed (except for Rancor and Bitter Murmur which are indeed cancelled completely by it). If a Survivor really wants to avoid/delay such perks they should have this option; it's not like every Survivor would run a perk like Distortion( maybe 1 Survivor every 3 matches or so :chuffed: )

• Acromio
    Acromio Member Posts: 1,737

Distortion is highway bullshit. If the DbD team really cared about balance, that perk would have received a sledgehammer nerf the day it was released (along with DS, but that's a story for another time).

• Robb_Stark

@George_Soros said:
    Don't forget Nurse's, much more popular and actually much more dangerous than BBQ. BBQ is really just there for the grind. But Distortion works against Scratched Mirror/Vanity Mirror Myers too. (Has anyone tested if it works against Blood Warden's aura reading?)

Btw, the real usefulness of Distortion is that it helps you to learn IF the killer uses any of the above. By the time you run out of tokens, you'll probably know which aura reading perks they use, so you have a much easier time to counter those.

@Robb_Stark , if you'd want to include Rancor, Madness, Killer Instinct, Iron Maiden, it would cause a lot of confusion. The term "aura reading perk" is quite clearly defined, whereas perks and abilities that show you location of survivors are not as uniform. I feel some of it would actually make sense, but then the devs would have to be extremely precise and list all the affected (and unaffected) killer perks, powers, addons, etc. They usually fail when it comes to accurate perk description, so I'm doubtful.

Nurse's can be easily avoided by not healing in the terror radius/ using Premonition against a stealthy Killer :blush:

Distortion, as it is now, hardly delays the effects of the Scratched Mirror/Vanity Mirror addons. Firstly, because it only has 3 tokens/each token only lasts 10 seconds and secondly,** if Myers goes for this strategy, he will surely use Whispers as well and he won't leave that area. That being said you will run out of tokens in no time.**

Other than Blood Warden it is not really useful to know what reading perks the killer is using. If he has Bitter Murmur for example, he can definitely come really close to you during those 10 seconds no matter where you run to, especially if it is a Billy or a Nurse. If the Killer is a Freddy and he uses Class Photo, again, you can't do anything about it (at least the buffed version of Distortion would delay it considerably). If the Killer is a Wraith and he uses the All-Seeing addon, again there's not much you can do as there will be times when you can't put enough distance between you and him (without getting seen directly) so as to prevent the addon from activating and the current version of Distortion is not good enough against All-Seeing.

As far as the description of the perk goes, I changed it so that it says "Aura or Location" :chuffed:

• George_Soros
    George_Soros Member Posts: 2,270

@Robb_Stark said:

@George_Soros said:

Nurse's can be easily avoided by not healing in the terror radius/ using Premonition against a stealthy Killer :blush:

Distortion, as it is now, hardly delays the effects of the Scratched Mirror/Vanity Mirror addons. Firstly, because it only has 3 tokens/each token only lasts 10 seconds and secondly,** if Myers goes for this strategy, he will surely use Whispers as well and he won't leave that area. That being said you will run out of tokens in no time.**

Other than Blood Warden it is not really useful to know what reading perks the killer is using. If he has Bitter Murmur for example, he can definitely come really close to you during those 10 seconds no matter where you run to, especially if it is a Billy or a Nurse. If the Killer is a Freddy and he uses Class Photo, again, you can't do anything about it (at least the buffed version of Distortion would delay it considerably). If the Killer is a Wraith and he uses the All-Seeing addon, again there's not much you can do as there will be times when you can't put enough distance between you and him (without getting seen directly) so as to prevent the addon from activating and the current version of Distortion is not good enough against All-Seeing.

As far as the description of the perk goes, I changed it so that it says "Aura or Location" :chuffed:

Yeah I mostly agree (except who the hell uses Premonition???). As I said, my biggest problem with your proposed changes is that it would cause a lot of confusion (unless it affects ALL aura reading/location revealing effects, but then you really do run out of tokens in no time). Why? There are a great number of such effects. I'm sure I miss a few, but I try to make a list.

AURA

• BBQ
    • Blood Warden
    • Bitter Murmur
    • Nurse's
    • Scratched Mirror
    • Vanity Mirror
    • Dream World
    • Class Photo
    • Pig addon, can't remember the name
    • Wraith's All Seeing addon
    • trapped survivor (this is an exception: Distortion does not prevent Trapper seeing you)
    • Deerstalker (I think this in an exception too, but I may be wrong)
    • Object of Obsession
    • Hag addon, can't remember the name
    • Tattoo's Middle Finger
    • Huntress addon
    • Territorial Imperative

• Madness
    • Killer Instinct
    • Iron Maiden
    • Rancor

And, you wanted to add other scanning perks, like Whispers. But then why not add Spies from the Shadows, Discordance, Hangman's Trick?

It would be a pretty long perk description ^^

I would go for a slightly different change though: let's have 20 tokens (or a similar number), and for every second you'd be revealed to the killer by an aura reading perk/effect, you'd lose one. Would basically have the same effect against BBQ, but it would be more reliable against Myers or Pig addons. Just an idea though, not necessarily bette than your suggestion or the current version.

• Robb_Stark

@George_Soros said:
    Yeah I mostly agree (except who the hell uses Premonition???). As I said, my biggest problem with your proposed changes is that it would cause a lot of confusion (unless it affects ALL aura reading/location revealing effects, but then you really do run out of tokens in no time). Why? There are a great number of such effects.
    And, you wanted to add other scanning perks, like Whispers. But then why not add Spies from the Shadows, Discordance, Hangman's Trick?
    It would be a pretty long perk description ^^

You do not run out of tokens that quickly because once any detection perk triggers Distortion, for the next 10/20/30 seconds you are protected against ALL detection perks/addons/abilities as a whole (except BBQ). One token is enough to protect you for the duration of the cooldown. 30 seconds is quite a long time.

For example, if Whispers triggers the cooldown and Bitter Murmur activates in the meantime, you will only loose 1 token because of Whispers, considering these 10/20/30 seconds aren't over when Bitter Murmur activates. If Bitter Murmur triggers AFTER the cooldown , then you will indeed loose an additional token.
    It is also unlikely that a Killer will run more than 1 detection perk anyway.

In the description I stated that "neither your Aura or Location will be shown to the Killer"; by "your Location" I was referring strictly to the position of the Survivor, where his/her body is. Discordance/Tinkerer/a failed skill check are actually showing the Generator a Survivor is interacting with, not the Survivors themselves. Same goes for Thrill of the Hunt which notifies the Killer about the Hex totem a Survivor is interacting with, Hangman's Trick which notifies the Killer about their hook being sabotaged, Spies from the Shadows is also more related to the crows being disturbed than it is to the Survivor's Location.
    It kind of makes sense to assume that the bubbles from Rancor, Doctor's Madness/ Legion's power are related strictly to the Survivor's figure/body. Whispers is also related to the position of the Survivor's figure and not to an object/creature that the survivor interacts with.

Many descriptions of the perks are quite unclear so if Distortion ever gets changed this way, all what people have to do is check the Trivia on the official Dead by Daylight Wiki. :chuffed:

• Robb_Stark

@RushingSnipeBob said:

@CookieBaws said:
    Buff BBQ? Are you high?

Uh. But when the gens are finished then the game for the killer is finished too, so what's the point?

He meant that you cannot hide behind a Generator anymore. The only remaining counters are getting within range or going as far away from the downed Survivor as possible so that you may have a chance to hide before the killer reaches you.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@Milo said:
    Okay then?

Cant even remember the last time ive seen whispers tbh

• Robb_Stark

@Master said:

How is that possible ?! I see Whispers, Rancor or Bitter Murmur (one of these 3) in 9/10 of my matches. :angry:

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    edited January 2019

@Master said:

@Milo said:
    Okay then?

I sometimes see Whispers. Mostly its either Huntress or a new-ish killer (aka just leveled)

@Robb_Stark said:

@Master said:

How is that possible ?! I see Whispers, Rancor or Bitter Murmur (one of these 3) in 9/10 of my matches. :angry:

Didn't see Bitter Murmur or Rancor in a long time lol

• Entità
    Entità Member Posts: 1,583
    I think it should be difficult to distinguish BBQ from the other Aura-reading abilities and program Distortion not to trigger with the first one: the aura reading ability is the same, whatever the source of it is. The Devs are adding, in the 2.5.0 patch, two exceptions for trapped or dying survivors (I would add a third: you are sleeping), but those are status-based, not source-based, exceptions, then very easy to program. Distortion should be buffed, but, even buffed, cannot hide your Aura forever and against all the Aura reading powers, perks and add-ons. But if you are so crazy to waste two perk slots to combine Distortion and Sole Survivor for the far hypothesis the killer uses both A Nurse's Calling or Bitter Murmur and glasses, all-seeing and so on, then your shield must be absolute. :)