The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Remove the Matchmaking lock permanently!

JimmyCasket
JimmyCasket Member Posts: 138
edited December 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

I have noticed that whether you quit or lose connection, you still get a matchmaking lock. So even if you didn't quit the game due to something unfair or what not, and you simply lost connection because of a random error, you get punished. The lock only hurts your game, because there are less people playing it. Now in a game like CoD, where you can kill your team and then leave to avoid a friendly fire penalty, you then get soft banned for a time. The match making lock doesn't dissuade people from D/Cing. In fact, I've noticed more D/C's since it's reinstatement than when it was temporarily removed. I suggest it be permanently removed as a feature, and you simply enforce something else, like maybe a pip lock? A way to prevent D/C's from gaining pips, but not losing pips, until so many games have gone by. The number of times I got locked out and quit for the rest of the day instead of playing for a long time out numbers the times I waited it out. It only harms your game, as with ques longer per side depending on the time of day is already bad harmful, as sadly cross-platform didn't fix this issue, cause it seems there's more survivors in the evening, and more killers during the day.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• JimmyCasket
    edited November 2020

I mean, I just got a 1 hour ban because my fricking computer crashed, this is ridiculous and stupid! I haven't D/C'd in over 30 games!

• JimmyCasket
    edited November 2020

Explain why I had a one hour ban, resulting me logging off, and coming back to a free 5 FRICKING HOUR BAN!!!!!!

This just proves the D/C penalty is broken, and I enjoy playing this game, but when I get killed cause the dedicated servers screw me over, and I just want to play a real match where the killer doesn't abuse how broken they are, I don't deserve to be banned for more than 5 minutes. The escalating penalty is just ridiculous if I can get over a one hour ban.

• JimmyCasket

Guess what? It just happened again! Was playing versus a Trapper, and was waiting for a flashlight save, but he was wary as I had just gotten one. He was looking around and moving nervously, when suddenly... BOOM, kicked to the title screen cause steam randomly lost connection to the servers. After around 10 minutes of hassle... You guessed it, 6 ######### HOUR BAN!!! You guys either need to remove this match making lock, make it recognize someone physically Quitting over a loss of connection, or hard limit it to 5 minutes unless you D/C in subsequent games, with 1 hour being the HIGHEST you can get. 6 hours is just utterly ridiculous, especially to be given over connection issues.

• the exact same thing just happened to me. ive been dc'ing from so many games lately, mostly to network issues and ive been getting 6 hour bans bc of it. I should probably invest in a wired network but i was so ready to play a bunch of dbd today :( I understand its not dbd's fault that i disconnected, i just wish they could tell the difference between someone purposefully disconnecting and someone having network issues.

• JimmyCasket

I'm sure they can, but then they have the issue of people just turning off the Wi-Fi to avoid it. NOW... The reason I'm, here once more, is cause I was randomly kicked from a game due to "no internet connection", and yet I was still online in every other sense, Wi-Fi working well, steam was even online and everything. I had a random glitch trying to unhook someone, then when I was healing them, I was kicked back to the menu. Until they can balance and fix the game, the penalty should be disabled. So, basically it should be gone for ever xD Or at the least limited to 5min only. I got a 30 min penalty because the game backflipped onto it's face, that's nowhere near my fault, so why am I punished?

• vladspellbinder
    vladspellbinder Member Posts: 320

This is an on-line multiplayer game, if your connection is spotty and not stable you should not be playing any on-line multiplayer games because each time your connection drops it impacts more than just you.

This is very elitist, I know, "Don't play if you don't have the money for good internet" sort of thing, but it is the cold hard truth. If you are racking up high DC timers because you keep dropping from games, well, you're constantly dropping from games and ruining other people's experiences by doing so.

The DC ban timer is there to prevent this exact sort of thing, along side the "Join, start, leave" some people try and do.

You are not the first to have posted on this matter, you will not be the last, but you and everyone else with this problem needs to stop and think about how your spotty connection impacts other people and not just yourself. If you drop out of every third or fourth game because of bad internet then every single one of those games is ruined for at least three other people. (Because I know some Killer players just love seeing an early DC because it's now an easy 3k.)

It sucks, yes, but it is better for everyone this way. If YOU had good internet and kept getting matched with the same person who DCs every third or fourth game because of their internet and no there was DC penalty then I'm sure you'd be rather upset and wonder why they were allowed to keep playing.

Sometimes there are solutions for bad connection that don't require more money, look into fixing your computer/console and connection issues so you don't keep dropping out without picking the disconnect option. There are tons of resources on-line for this sort of thing if you look for them.

I hope you can get better hardware or a better connection so you can keep enjoying the game and not have to worry about it disconnecting on you.

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

to be frank, I hesitate to believe you d purely off poor connection to rack up a 5 hour ban. And if it is, at some point you need to realise your connection just isnt going to cut it. And you end up affecting the experiences of others, which can be especially frustrating for them if they only have a limited amount of time to play. It's not the games fault for punishing people for repeatedly ruining the experience of others.

• fuyiman
    fuyiman Member Posts: 1

This is the most stupid thing. What does DBD gain from this? Yes, gain that we start hating the game! Not very smart :(

• JimmyCasket

It gains players, as a lot of steam players especially get matchmaking locks cause steam is a piece of ######### that randomly loses connection. I got a 24 hour ban cause of steam randomly losing connection... They either need to completely remove it, or remove the 6 hour and over ones.

That's just ridiculous that you cannot play the game for the entire day if you lose connection.

• JimmyCasket

This is outrageous...

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047

This is the first person using We're Gonna Live Forever that is not GoodBoyKaru that I have seen since I joined the forums.

• KlavalX
    KlavalX Member Posts: 4

First of all survivors are broken not killers, Killers are getting the shaft due to overbalancing toward the survivors, I do however agree that the ban should be removed that's what the report feature is for someone who purposely D/C's!!!!

• JimmyCasket

Exactly, it has "Rage Quit" as an option, but the D/C penalty is the punishment. *Then why is it there?*

Another thing, I've looked at the categories you can report someone for. Nearly all of them, except exploits, are "not reportable" as of right now. All the unsportsmanlike are not reportable, cause the devs have said so. Coms abuse isn't cause they have a stupid chat filter that should be removed, it's not even functional cause it censors game mechanics and character names, and trolling isn't cause they clearly don't care about the health of the game as of rn since they are forcing people to tryhard with this stupid MMR and Grades system.

• JimmyCasket

Back again to report how I lost connection and have a 24 hour ban. You gotta love how busted the D/C penalty is with how the game is rn. They don't need to remove it tbh, they just need to limit the time you can be banned to 6 hours and make it so it's only quitting, or a suspicious D/C. Like, if they weren't wiggling, then it's a bit sus, but if they were, or they were doing actions that take 2 hands, they shouldn't be penalized. It can't be incredibly difficult to implement a system that can determine your actions if the server can copy them when you have a connection drop.

• Starrseed
    Starrseed Member Posts: 1,774

But it is just not possible to detect why you DC there is no technology that can detact if you internet got out or you power or if you just pulled the plug or used a shortcut to kill your internet it's not a thing in no game because to my knowledge that technology does not exist

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

Yea it sure would be fun to queue for 10 minutes just for my teammates to dc because of a single killer or because they got outplayed

• JimmyCasket

You cannot tell me it can't detect if you hit "Escape, Quit Match, Confirm" or if you lost connection, so your argument is invalid. I have had my game randomly freeze up and kick me 3-5 times in the past few days. With how little players they have rn, and how unstable the servers have become, they need to remove the matchmaking lock until they have more players/stable servers.

• JimmyCasket
    edited March 2022

This is not a valid point, because people D/C regardless, or kill themselves on hook.

• ItsJesseFFS
    ItsJesseFFS Member Posts: 100

On the contrary, it IS possible to detect. It's been done before in other games, and as someone who works in the software development field, I can confirm it's possible and with 99.9% accuracy.

Saying "that technology does not exist" is false and misleading information. It's just a matter of being implemented correctly.

• Starrseed

That is one thousand percent true if you leave like that I think the game can detect it. I thought more about the game can't detect if you have a crash or if you pull your internet

• Starrseed

Hey I just say what I know and to my knowledge it's not possible to detect if your game crashed or if you just pulled the plug on you internet

• JimmyCasket

This needs to be implemented ASAP. I just got a 48 HOUR BAN because steam lost connection for 2 ######### SECONDS!!!

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,514

Sad - but if people would not dc for every tiny bit they don´t like we wouldn´t need this.

But alone here you find so many "reasons" to dc it is ridiculous - i wonder why you play this game in the first place.

• JimmyCasket

No, my connection drops for a few seconds cause steam decides it wants to lose connection for no reason. They need to at least put a cap on the penalty, one BELOW 24 hours. I have a 72 hour ban cause of this dumb steam connection issue. It's unjust and unfair, and very bad for the game, given it's current state, to ban the few players it has left over a loss of connection. If the game loses connection, you shouldn't be punished, because the chances someone will rage quit by turning off their internet connection is slim to none. They should make it so you have to have a confirmation pop up for it to punish you. That includes clicking "Quit" and "Confirm", or Alt+F4.

• scoser
    scoser Member Posts: 482

If anything, the DC penalties need to be longer so I'm not stuck with someone that instantly DCs the first time they hear a nurse teleport.

• Dorkhum
    Dorkhum Member Posts: 3

There must be a balance between facts. I honestly won't spend my time playing on a game when the killer is clearly camping people reasonless. There is literally no fun on there

• ObservantOfTime
    ObservantOfTime Member Posts: 209

If your internet connection is unstable, resulting in a loss of connection frequently, perhaps that needs to be troubleshooted before trying to play the game. The only time I ever experience actual server DC issues is Monday / Tuesday around noon, when steam resets / restarts or whatever. And even then, it's only once.

I suggest wired connection wherever possible, especially for online multiplayer games. Most consoles have an ethernet connection, and that ought to be used whenever it's practical to do so. WiFi is notoriously bad for online multiplayer games.

The DC penalty needs to stay. When I think back to the times when it was disabled for whatever reason, people would just DC for virtually any reason. Don't like the map? DC. Don't like the killer? DC. Don't like what my teammate is doing? DC. Got found first? DC. Teammate goes down too soon? DC. Got blinded? DC. Got stunned? DC. Teabag? DC. God those were awful days.

Though I think DBD could do a better job at discerning between a server disconnect / game crash and someone purposely closing the game or leaving the match. The former should not be punished, the latter should.

• JoaoVanBlizzard
    JoaoVanBlizzard Member Posts: 555

I'm against disconnect ban for many reasons, but it's very disadvantageous for a surv to quit right at the beginning of the game, in which case there could be a vote between survs to give up the game without taking a ban when someone disconnects, what I think is wrong is that the ban time increases with each disconnect, I think it should always be 5 minutes, I didn't need to increase that time.

I also think there should be a ban for anyone who leaves the lobby, there are a lot of people who do this and in addition to taking a long time to start the game, this makes the game put players of unbalanced levels, people could only leave the lobby if the connection was yellow or red and not whenever they want

• km66
    km66 Member Posts: 111

Recently, I didnt play for three days because of vacation. Came back, had one DC, 6 hour ban. Don’t get it.

• JimmyCasket

This is a point I meant. the longest ban should be maybe 15 minutes, not several days.

The ban period is based on the number of games you've played, not how long it's been since your last D/C. This is another issue.

• Tsukah
    Tsukah Member Posts: 390
    edited March 2022

I just don't understand it being 72 hours (3 days) WHY? Why does it have to be 72 hours? Who thought it would be a good idea to always have it at 72 hours? I'm not saying remove the penalty completely but 72 hours seems way too excessive.

• JimmyCasket

It's not always there. for each D/C in a set number of games, your penalty increases. I think 1 hour is plenty time for punishment. 6+ is just over the top and needs removal. They also need to improve the game's detection so you are only punished for suspicious D/C's. Like if your team is losing, and you "lose connection", you likely pulled your ethernet cord/turned off your Wi-Fi receiver to let your last teammate get hatch. But if your team is doing well and you lose connection, it's likely an internet issue.

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Not falling for this sneaky necro.

• JimmyCasket
    edited March 2022
  • Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869

Old thread coming to life by the hands of a necromancer.

• JimmyCasket

It's not dead, just my opinion has changed since I started it. It's been active, I just haven't checked lately.

• JimmyCasket

My Wi-Fi isn't the issue. Steam or DBD kicks me from matches at times when I have ping under 300 on a bad day. They need to make it so losing connection isn't punished. What if someone lives in an area plagued by bad weather, and their power goes out often? Are they suppose to just never play? Hitting Escape + Quit, by all means, penalize them. But a loss of connection shouldn't be punished. Have a 24h ban cause my game kicked to to the menu when my ping was under 400 this one time, and I've played with a ping of 600+ before due to connection issues in my area. It's not my ping, it's the DBD server or Steam kicking me.

• treefitty
    treefitty Member Posts: 22

It's incredibly difficult to know if it's an ISP problem or if it's you intentionally disconnecting your compy from the internet so I don't think removing the DC punishment should happen. However, I do think we need a change.

What should happen is that if there is a survivor DC, you should be allowed to reconnect instead of automatically just killing the survivor. Maybe if there is a DC, a script runs and your character finds the nearest empty locker and causes your character to go into it and you can come back and reconnect but if you stay disconnected for a certain period of time, your character just dies like normal in a DC.

As for killer DCs, maybe have the killer script run from the tutorial and just turn every killer into an M1 killer and if they stay disconnected for the same period of time as a survivor, then the match just ends like before.

• Onyx
    Onyx Member Posts: 214

Pips have nothing to do with matchmaking, that is MMR

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383

Last time I checked, in 2020 pips did still matter for matchmaking.

• BubbleBuster
    BubbleBuster Member Posts: 387

sounds like you need to fix your internet to stop ruining matches for others

also a reconnect feature would be nice for this instead of getting rid of the matchmaking ban.

You ruined the game for 4 other people. ofc you should get punished...

• Onyx
    Onyx Member Posts: 214

To be fair, I did not realize what date that comment was posted. I did not think people would revive a 2yr old post.

• twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited July 2022

That is impossible as people can just unplug the ethernet then to DC in games to bypass the system.

If people live in an area with bad internet and ping then unfortunately they should not be playing online games as their situation ruins the game for all the others Involved. Sounds harsh but it is what it is.

You may be being dc'd with large pings due to the server checks. This is why hits seem like they should not hit as the hit has server validation. What you see is not what the others do and once the server checks it you will be hit or go down. This was implemented to help against those who used VPN's to make their ping higher to try and win matches.

• AnchorTea
    AnchorTea Member Posts: 1,019

No penalty means anyone can dc against Trickster.

Well.... some may like that but still there needs to be a penalty. DCing is a dick move.

This discussion has been closed.