We have temporarily disabled Firecrackers and the Flashbang Perk due to a bug which could cause the Killer's game to crash. These will be re-enabled in an upcoming patch when the issue is resolved.

Developers please, Don't Double-Nerf Boil Over

Don't double-nerf Boil Over. Add hooks to the problem stages like RCPD, Forsaken Boneyard and any other stages where a Killer isn't able to reach a hook. Don't also remove the 25% struggle timer from falling, effectively double-nerfing Boil Over.

Boil Over is not a strong perk, it's a perk that is being abused on certain stages. If you add hooks to the problem stages, then Boil Over can not longer be abused.

Comments

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,704

I don’t think boil over will be nerfed again, it probably won’t even be used a lot.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,552

The 25% were too much in the first place. Change is a bit complicated but ok.

I just wanted a you wiggle 3/6/9% faster - i think this would be the best buff. Just to wiggle a bit faster that you not mostly get hooked at 99%.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

They might, they might not, hard to tell. 🤷‍♂️ They likely won’t touch the dropping from a height thing again after the upcoming nerf goes live next patch, but I wouldn’t be at all surprised if after that they still are monitoring the perk to see if they need to adjust how much extra stagger it gives. Honestly I miss more hooks due to the extra stagger than I have the falling from a height, sometimes you literally can’t even move forward because of it! 😯 I don’t know that it’s statistically overpowered, but it’s not entirely out of the realm of possibility they might want to tone the stagger down a bit if it turns out too many people are missing hooks from it, especially on indoor maps.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,778

It shouldn’t get nerfed again after next update.

But simply adding hooks to problematic areas and leaving boil over’s 25% height bonus completely unchanged wouldn’t have been enough to balance the perk since sabotage exists and hooks break after a sacrifice. Not to mention breakdown exists.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 4,370

I agree, ever since the first hotfix I haven't seen a spot where a survivor has been unhookable. 33% of the current wiggle is too harsh of a nerf, it should be at least 50%.

Isn't it meant to be a sabo perk? Sabotage existing is the whole point of the perk.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

it should be at least 50%.

Seriously? Get 50% of the wriggle progress you have because the Killer fell 3 inches or more? No. That's just as, if not more, broken than Boil Over currently is.

Do Survivors now think they deserve to get out of a grab 99% of the time, now that Boil OPver made that possible?

• BenSanderson55
    BenSanderson55 Member Posts: 454

It's almost like some people don't want you to wiggle free by using this perk, which is the entire point. Add more hooks and get rid of 25% so you basically never have a chance to wiggle off and making it another useless perk while meta remains unchanged. Fighting themselves, enjoy dead hard, ds, unbreakable, bt lol

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,778

It does synergize well with sabotage, yes, and that’s fine. What I’m more referring to is the ability to take advantage of that repeatedly with no counterplay option for the killer other than slugging (usually if you see a sabotage coming you can often just go to a different hook but that’s not always the case here) and that even if there is a hook at the top of the library, what are you gonna do once you have to kill someone there? That hook’s not coming back, and old boil over would then once again be problematic.

Anyways, I’m pretty sure they intentionally chose 33% because that was the highest it could be without it ever being stronger than the old version. 33% of current wiggle means that if the survivor’s wiggle progress is at 75% or more, the killer falling from a height would make you instantly wiggle out with both the old and new versions. At anything less than that, the bonus you get is smaller than it was before.

• ReverseVelocity

I mean, considering that it literally tells you Boil Over is active and it being 50% of the current wiggle progress would still prevent people from running up to a certain spot and dying over and over to get a bunch of wiggle progress, yes, getting 50% of the wiggle progress would be fine.

Boil Over isn't a reliable perk anyway (outside of a couple of now fixed spots), if you ignore the big red horse icon and decide to jump off of a height after 8 seconds of carrying (which is how long it'd take to be able to match the current 25% wiggle bonus), then that's kind of on you.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838

Sure, if you ignore that the 75% wriggle effect can FORCE the Killer off a pebble high enough to make the boost come into effect.

50% is way too much. That's just stating 'I want to never be hooked again'. More so if you have a friend hleping you and/or pair it with Flip-Flop

• ReverseVelocity

What? The worst Boil Over has done in terms of the increased strafing is made it a pain to get through a door. I've never been flung off a platform because of Boil Over.

50% would be fine, it'd solve the issue of people running to a ledge to die while still keeping the effect significant if the killer decides to drop off a ledge later into the carry.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,431

So take the stairs or don't greed for a basement hook if it's far away? The perk isn't hidden or anything.

I already see it far less than just a couple weeks ago and it hasn't even been nerfed yet.

We should wait and see how the extra hooks in high areas play out before relegating another perk to the trash.

• FeryGEN
    FeryGEN Member Posts: 628

Abuser RPD Maps and Eye of Crows detected

Good change, but I discovered a good strategy before the nerf, you can just drop the survivor instead of falling with him, this will give him much less wiggle (many even disconnected from the match).

The perk could be left as it is if there were enough hooks on some maps, sometimes a map only gives one hook in one direction and that's it. I would also say that many survivors left to die on the ground at the end in the chat write that they will report for not hanging them on a hook when they fall in the library or on the second floors

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,242

I've never been flung off a platform because of Boil Over.

That's nice for you. I've been flung off platforms because of Boil Over. I have hardly any control over walking if the survivor has Boil Over. Trying to strafe instead of walk forward helps a little, but it's still quite difficult to maneuver.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    edited February 2022

And also don't try and pick anyone up who's in the first level of dead dawg saloon's saloon. That "drop" from the inside to The outside is apparently pretty great.

Which seriously, I don't care about percentage as much as just making "great height" 10ft or something. Just an actual, measurable, stable distance that can be relied on by both sides

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Triple nerf it instead, remove the extra wiggle effects and hook hiding

All you get is a horse picture

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,431

My issue with this is I don't want another nerf to Balanced Landing. We already have some maps where it's only usable in 1 or 2 spots.

• Reshy
    Reshy Member Posts: 402

Nah, I'd rather it be you give extra wiggle progress to a carried teammate when you take a protection hit.

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719

You're overreacting, he's suggesting 50 percent of the current wiggle meter. Let's for example say that it was 100 percent of current wiggle. You still wouldn't get any value from current abusable spots such as rpd because the wiggle bar would only get to 5 percent before you dropped giving you a whole 10 percent. The only time that you make a major drop towards the end of a pick-up time is when you go to basement and only if you drop to get there. 33 or 50 or 100 percent, it doesn't matter what it is, it's easily avoidable. The only impact that it should have is that it will make hooking in the basement impossible where it would otherwise be possible, but you'll be notified and shouldn't even attempt going to basement.

• BenSanderson55
    BenSanderson55 Member Posts: 454
    edited February 2022

Never said consistently, i said the exact opposite "basically never have a chance to wiggle off". I play killer too i dont want people wiggling off consistently either. Even before the nerf only one time in 30+ matches did i wiggle free every time and that was because the killer just kept picking me up in the same spot or slugging me until i crawled back to the spot. He tunnelled thus was punished via 5 gens getting done as he picked me up over and over.

I think you're using the rare 4man swf on comms (actually using comms to coordinate and not talking about random life crap) all with boil over and breakdown as a norm, it's not. But your name says it all so this is prolly a pointless post.

• Blazelski
    Blazelski Member Posts: 351
    edited February 2022

I 100% completely agree. It only needed the additional hooks, not the nerf of the perk itself (except actually triggering only on decent falls, rather than slight elevation). It's very bad again, and will be rarely used.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Hook and boil over is very different thing, it's a fix and a nerf.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270

Ngl I don't trust my connection enough to do that so I did this as a workaround slug and use their body as bait

• relaxsitsmax
    relaxsitsmax Member Posts: 3

The wiggle mechanic already disproportionately punishes killers on console. Add Boil Over into the mix and the effect of the wiggle is just plain ridiculous.

• Real_RUBB3R
    Real_RUBB3R Member Posts: 98
    edited February 2022

Boil Over honestly deserved the nerf it got. 25% for simple dropping from the smallest height was way too much, if the survivor brought it with Unbreakable + Flip Flop and you hesistate for even a second to pick them up, they're gonna wiggle out in like 4 seconds flat. It was ridiculous. The perk still applies a penalty for dropping from a height, it just requires you to actually wiggle for a bit to get value, instead of getting 25% instant value. Maybe the penalty should be upped slightly, like 40-50% of the current wiggle progress as opposed to just 33%, but you do not need a free 25% wiggle bonus just because the killer stepped down a couple stairs.

With how it works now, I highly doubt they're going to nerf it again, it isn't powerful enough to be abusable, but not weak enough to be completely unusable