The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why is it difficult to remove perk tiers?

fogdonkey
fogdonkey Member Posts: 1,567

During the Q&A they said that it is difficult to remove perk tiers. Why?

Also they mentioned that it would not be a good long term solution, because the grind is increasing exponentially with new DLCs.

I agree that it is not a good long term solution, but it would be a good intermediate solution.

And a sidenote: the grind is increasing quadratically, not exponentially (with DLC releases).

Comments

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

Probably because it's too integraded in the game's system.

I'm not an expert on it but i'm sure it's not just a case of ctrl clicking all the tier 1 and 2 perks and hitting delete.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

As they said, it would be a band-aid fix. Something which the Community criticises the Devs for.

And, for me personally, removing Perk Tiers would remove a lot of excitement for new players. When I was new, getting Perks was the most exciting thing when leveling up my Characters. And if you remove Perk Tiers, you would run out of new Perks before you even have 4 Perk Slots unlocked.

So they should rather look at other solutions.

But I know the community will not understand it that the Devs dont want to remove Perk Tiers and will keep asking for it.

• fogdonkey

You have a little flaw in your calculation, you forget that the new perks need to be unlocked on old killers.

Currently there are 26 killers and 90 killer perks (26*3 unique ones and 12 generic).

So to unlock all the perks on 3rd tier on all the killers you need to go through 26*90*3=7020 perk buys.

If they would remove perk tiers the killer grind would reach the current levels at 46 killers:

46 killers would mean 150 killer perks which would need 46*150=6900 perk buys.

So this means that removing perk tiers would help for the next 20 killer releases which is by the current pace around 5 years.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,763

First it's a bandaid fix like @Aven_Fallen and the devs during the Q&A said.

They also implied that removing perk tiers would force them to rework all the perks in the game? But they wouldn't have to, they would just take the highest tier and make that the perk. So I'm not entirely sure. It probably DOES have to do with how it is in the coding.

One thing they are right about is it would only be a bandaid fix, but I think that the devs don't realize, even though the grind will get eventually worse again, there is a strong possibility the game is dead by then. 270 and 303 perks respectively narrowed down to 90 and 101, it'll be a while before you get to those massive numbers again. I still get the point that it means the grind will continue to get worse every new release again.

• fogdonkey

I doubt that it would be more difficult to remove than to do some even more advanced rework.

It can't be rooted too deep in the system, all that changes in perk tiers are some constants.

• fogdonkey

It is a "bandaid" fix, which would actually be helpful for the next 5 years. The killer grind would reach current levels after 5 years. See my calculation a few comments above.

• fogdonkey

Bandaid fix, but actually it would be helpful for the next 5 years. The killer grind would reach current levels again only after 5 years. See my calculation a few comments above.

It can't be that hard to remove, because the differences between tiers are just some constants. It would not require code changes in actual game code. They would need to just change a bit the blood web code.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,046

It depends what the Devs are planning.

E.g. if they would make the option to get 3 Perks in a Level 50 Bloodweb (out of 6), this would also reduce the grind by 33%. Not 66% like removing Perk Tiers, but if they increase the BPs you gain in games, this might also help a lot.

(Plus, more BPs is always a good feeling when playing)

• BabyCameron10
    BabyCameron10 Member Posts: 950

Why don’t they cut the price in half of the things in the Bloodweb? Could be easier to do than removing perk tiers.

• fogdonkey

Yeah.

Removing perk tiers would delay the problem by 5 years: we would have the same amount of grind like today in around 5 years. Which is I think a good enough intermediate solution. Maybe the game won't even exist in 5 years or if it still exists, then the devs will have plenty of time to come up with a "long term" solution.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,555
    edited January 2022

Beyond the grind aspect of "removing" perk tiers, wouldn't getting rid of the small bonuses open up way more possibilities for perk designs? I imagine that there are many perk ideas that have been scrapped because they couldn't fit a modifier. Right now every perk has to have a modifier of some kind to accomodate 3 tiers. With certain perks that can feel rather arbitrary.

• fogdonkey

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that it is not a long term solution, because the grind is increasing quadratically (not exponentially, or please explain why is it exponential instead of quadratical). But based on my calculations the killer grind would come back to current levels only after ~5 years. 5 years seems like a good intermediate solution. The number for survivor is probably similar.

Yeah, it is not just pressing a delete button, but updating blood web code and UI also can't be that difficult.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

This is another excellent question.

Perk tiers feel like an odd and outdated concept. It's also not even slightly universal, some perks are almost as good at T1 as T3, while others are useless until T3.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

I'm fine with perk tires if we could just get more BP per match. Make this blood rush base kit or something

• fogdonkey
    edited January 2022

More BP is not an ideal solution: you will be able to buy more addons/items than you can actually spend by playing. So lower tier addons and items will become useless.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,514

What is the difficulty by simply reducing the cost on the bloodweb?

Like all 3000 items cost 1500, all 5000 2500... That would also reduce the grind immensly.

• fogdonkey

My thoughts:

Possible problem: everything is so cheap that you can buy more items/addons/offerings than you can actually use while playing. It would make lower tier addons/items/offerings useless.

That's why in my opinion having the perks in the same bloodweb as addons/items/offerings is not a good system. But this would mean a larger rework which is not a topic of this thread.

• Afius
    Afius Member Posts: 563

I'm fine with them putting in a substantial amount of work to reduce the grind when I've already put over 1k hours in and some people even more.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 746

If you want a better suggestion, for reducing the Grind. How about making it so that Players that decide to Prestige their Characters, will no longer lose their perks in the process. I do not mind if I lose some items, offerings, and add-ons in general (Except for rare Event items). I feel the Grind would be bit less stressful if Players can Prestige their characters without "restarting over" and losing their precious perks that they work hard in spending Bloodpoints on, and some folks refused to Prestige for the sake they do want to keep their character's load outs max out

• fogdonkey

Created a short video presentation about it.

• FrenziedRoach
    FrenziedRoach Member Posts: 2,600
    edited February 2022

If you want to get your "permanant" solution to fixing the grind out first because it will take just as much time to remove the perk tiers, I can accept that, but I will NEVER accept it if you choose to not remove them eventually. These perk tiers are an unnecessary residual part of the game that just needs to go.

The more perks that get added to the game, the more people are going to resent that these perk tiers exist to begin with.

• AlbinoViera
    AlbinoViera Member Posts: 169

Haven't been able to find any info, so I'm assuming it's a similar situation to the colourblind settings.

In which case, would it be possible to be a bit more transparent on what's being done? Rather than saying "We're working on something, trust." Paraphrasing of course, but the point stands.

It'd be easier on everyone if more information was made public in regards to features the entirety of the community wants, preferably before anyone is pestered to the point of getting angry at someone asking them a question.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,881
    edited February 2022

Basically what peanits said but they still fail to realize it's still removing 2/3's of the grind which is better for now cause imagine in the future while they still don't have a way to reduce the grind. Imagine having 50 killers and like 50 survivors that you have to get tier 1, 2, and 3 instead of just getting tier 3 perks. Yeah no one is gonna "have fun" getting those perks.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I mean, in regard of the temporary part, removing the perk tiers would give them 10 years to come up with a solution before they reach the point of grind we have now.

Should be enough time. But maybe thats just me.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,280

As for why it's not a permanent solution: Each time new content is released, not only does the amount of perks increase, but the number of characters you need to unlock all those perks on increases as well. Since you have two different factors increasing here, the grind is increasing exponentially over time, not linearly. Even if removing perk tiers would make it manageable for now, sooner or later it would catch back up and become a massive grind again. We've made changes in the past to reduce the grind, such as reducing bloodweb cost/size, adding additional perks to bloodwebs, etc. While these worked great in the short term, the grind always caught up eventually.

A suggestion I proposed for that a while ago: Prestiging a character permanently unlocks one/all of their perks for -everyone-. That way, any character on P1 permanently cuts grind, even for new characters.

• N8dog
    N8dog Member Posts: 541

I think I have a mid road solution. You unlock tier one then instead of buying bloodweb after bloodweb you can purchase tier 2 as another item, offering or add on is sealed off and you get to tier 3 without needing to go through hundreds of thousands if not millions of bloodpoints. There are still 3 tiers and the luck of waiting for the perk you want is reduced to needing it only one time. You guys think this would be a good one?

• Edilibs
    Edilibs Member Posts: 699

Perks tiers are just fine i have no problem with them at all just leave them alone, let it go people geeze!

• ThiccBudhha
    ThiccBudhha Member Posts: 6,987

I think it would just be faster to double our bloodpoint gain until they fix it and it would actually be as simple as flipping a switch.

• landromat
    landromat Member Posts: 2,193
  • Husk
    Husk Member Posts: 39

You'd think a company making millions with thousands of employees would be able to do something that requires a "substantial amount of work".

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

If they ever removed perk tiers i imagine that every perk would have to be adjusted to cost about 12k to 15k bp to compensate