Is killer dropping the survivor to avoid a flashlight save an exploit? I want a definitive answer.

Options
Is this an exploit or is it intentional, and if it is an exploit, when do you plan to fix it?

Answers

• I_am_Negan
    I_am_Negan Member Posts: 3,756
    Options

More likely to avoid DS

• Salty_Pearl
    Salty_Pearl Member Posts: 1,367
    Options

It's not an exploit because the wiggle bar fills up a certain amount every time the Killer drops a Survivor.

• Cetren
    Cetren Member Posts: 984
    Options
    No more of an exploit than dribbling or tapping.
  • twistedmonkey
    twistedmonkey Member Posts: 4,291
    edited January 2019
    Options
    No i dont think its 100% intentional but its also not an exploit per say, it wastes time for the killer and also means the survivor gets more of a chance to struggle for each drop.
  • The_Trapper
    The_Trapper Member Posts: 186
    Options

No.

• βLAKE
    βLAKE Member Posts: 544
    Options

It's counterplay/feature therefore, not an exploit and not bannable.

• piekiller45
    piekiller45 Member Posts: 11
    Options

It's not an exploit because the wiggle bar fills up a certain amount every time the Killer drops a Survivor.

Even with this logic, itd be an exploit because it makes flashlight saving have less of an effect. Filling the wiggle bar by 25 percent and wasting the flashlights battery and filling it by 100 percent and wasting the flashlights battery letting a survivor escape the grasp is very different. 
  • Jesya
    Jesya Member Posts: 1,101
    edited January 2019
    Options

Nope not an exploit: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system#latest

THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT CONSIDERED BANNABLE OFFENSES - PLEASE DO NOT REPORT

• Camping
    • Slugging
    • Tunneling
    • Streamsniping
    • Teabagging
    • Bodyblocking
    • Looping
    • Tapping generators with ruin
      *Dribbling (Dropping a survivor repeatedly to avoid decisive strike)
  • piekiller45
    Options
    βLAKE said:

It's counterplay/feature therefore, not an exploit and not bannable.

What you do after the drop is counterplay, the drop itself just makes flashlight saves borderline impossible
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    edited January 2019
    Options
    I don't think it was intended but i wouldn't call it an exploit either.
  • piekiller45
    Options
    Vietfox said:
    Well it would be an exploit because itd fit the definition if it wasn't intended
  • piekiller45
    Options
    Jesya said:

Nope not an exploit: https://forum.deadbydaylight.com/en/discussion/19450/game-rules-and-report-system#latest

THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT CONSIDERED BANNABLE OFFENSES - PLEASE DO NOT REPORT

• Camping
    • Slugging
    • Tunneling
    • Streamsniping
    • Teabagging
    • Bodyblocking
    • Looping
    • Tapping generators with ruin
      *Dribbling (Dropping a survivor repeatedly to avoid decisive strike)
    That didn't help....
  • piekiller45
    Options
    No i dont think its 100% intentional but its also not an exploit per say, it wastes time for the killer and also means the survivor gets more of a chance to struggle for each drop.
    If it's an oversight on the devs part it would be considered an exploit.
  • Jesya
    Options

It did. If it was an exploit it would be bannable.

• Tizzle
    Tizzle Member Posts: 696
    Options

Originally dropping a Survivor worked to avoid a flashlight save.

Sometime later it was reworked so the flashlight would save at any time during the drop animation, not sure if this was intended or not.

Don't remember how long ago, but it was redone to the original state of dropping to instant avoid the flashlight.

• piekiller45
    Options
    Tizzle said:

Originally dropping a Survivor worked to avoid a flashlight save.

Sometime later it was reworked so the flashlight would save at any time during the drop animation, not sure if this was intended or not.

Don't remember how long ago, but it was redone to the original state of dropping to instant avoid the flashlight.

I remember this pretty sure it was before huntress (dont quote me) but I don't know if it was reworked intentionally or the devs maybe messed up with their spaghetti code and just never looked back at it.
  • piekiller45
    Options
    Jesya said:

You have me a list of what isnt bannable and it didn't clear it up because dropping a survivor to avoid a flashlight save isnt on the list of "what isnt bannable"
  • lasombra1979
    lasombra1979 Member Posts: 1,142
    Options

My understanding it is not, nor should it be. It is a counter to flashlight save attempts, just like dribbling is a counter to DS.

• DwightsLifeMatters
    DwightsLifeMatters Member Posts: 1,649
    Options
    People need to study what the word exploit actually means. Pressing R is a fight against your flashlight timing. If you time it perfectly pressing R won't help (happened by myself).
  • Vietfox
    Vietfox Member Posts: 3,823
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Vietfox said:
    Well it would be an exploit because itd fit the definition if it wasn't intended
    Technically yes, but some games have unintended features/mechanics which are allowed by devs because they improve the game or make it more interesting, like animation canceling in Elder Scrolls Online.
    If there wasn't any counter to that dropping then yeah, but every time killer drops the survivor wiggle bar fills, so i guess it's fine.
  • piekiller45
    edited January 2019
    Options
    People need to study what the word exploit actually means. Pressing R is a fight against your flashlight timing. If you time it perfectly pressing R won't help (happened by myself).
    It requires a save to be frame perfect so that it happens before the dropping animation starts, the dropping animation itself is the counter to the save which would be the exploit because the dropping animation cancels the flashlight save
  • piekiller45
    edited January 2019
    Options

My understanding it is not, nor should it be. It is a counter to flashlight save attempts, just like dribbling is a counter to DS.

But unlike flashlight saves which have numerous counters already, the only counter ds has is dribbling which takes more time because it usually requires more than one drop. Ds is also a perk chosen by the one in the killers grasp while flashlight saves requires the effort of someone else who isnt in the killers grasp, which punishes him because it doesn't save his teammate, wasting his flashlight battery and his time.
  • piekiller45
    Options
    Vietfox said:
    Vietfox said:
    Technically yes, but some games have unintended features/mechanics which are allowed by devs because they improve the game or make it more interesting, like animation canceling in Elder Scrolls Online.
    If there wasn't any counter to that dropping then yeah, but every time killer drops the survivor wiggle bar fills, so i guess it's fine.
    Those exploits were allowed by the devs thus making them not exploits. As far as I know, the devs haven't addressed if this is an exploit or not, So it can still be questioned until we get an answer from them
  • BigBawss
    BigBawss Member Posts: 4
    Options

If you want a definitive answer ask it before/during their next stream. Everyone on here is talking out of their asses. It could very well be an exploit, it could be intentional game design.

For what it's worth, now that flashlights are much, much better balanced than the absolute train wreck that they were in the days of slow pickup animations and insta-blinds, I don't think it would be so bad if this feature was removed.

• XavierBoah17
    XavierBoah17 Member Posts: 204
    Options
    @piekiller45 Its not an exploit. The only reason a killer would do this is to avoid DS. Flashlight saving is out if the question because no killer dribbles to avoid flashlight saves. 
  • venom12784
    venom12784 Member Posts: 666
    Options
    You can still get a flashlight save while the killer is picking up the survior. Or is this an exploit  as well cause the killer has only one thing they can do against it. Which is run light born
  • PolarBear
    PolarBear Member Posts: 1,899
    Options

It is unintentional but not bannable (from what I've heard).

• Timo425
    Timo425 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Depends how you define an exploit. For me anything that wasn't intended by the devs that gives you some kind of benefit is an exploit. That's why dribbling is an exploit or gen tapping. It's not unfair though so it's acceptable, it's not an unfair exploit. The same can be said for dribbling or gen tapping.
  • twistedmonkey
    Options
    If it's an oversight on the devs part it would be considered an exploit.
    There have been many oversights in the game like looping, swf, moonwalking to name a few but none of them are exploits it is simply using what you have in the game that works.

Dribbling to avoid flashlights would come under the same as DS dribbling it's not intended but not an exploit it becomes part of the game and a strat.
  • Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    Options

@piekiller45 said:
    Is this an exploit or is it intentional, and if it is an exploit, when do you plan to fix it?

If the killer manages to drop before the blind kicks in, then you timed it wrong

• Jesya
    Options

@piekiller45 said:
    Jesya said:

You have me a list of what isnt bannable and it didn't clear it up because dropping a survivor to avoid a flashlight save isnt on the list of "what isnt bannable"

It falls under dribbling....

• ForeheadSurviors
    ForeheadSurviors Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This is an exploit ... Anything neither side can’t counter is an exploit , for people saying its the same as juggling a DS survivor to the hook no its not, you can counter that by body blocking.. And personally youtuber Monto abuses this and nothing’s happened to him but when noob3 did an exploit he got banned. And its funny devs haven’t looked into it when its been mentioned a few times
  • twistedmonkey
    edited January 2019
    Options
    This is an exploit ... Anything neither side can’t counter is an exploit , for people saying its the same as juggling a DS survivor to the hook no its not, you can counter that by body blocking.. And personally youtuber Monto abuses this and nothing’s happened to him but when noob3 did an exploit he got banned. And its funny devs haven’t looked into it when its been mentioned a few times
    Noob first got banned for hacking legacy and then got temp banned for exploiting a place on the map where the killer couldn't get too showing it on stream it's a completely different scenario.

Did you think about the counter before posting? Like DS dribbling they can be body blocked, the killer has to drop the survivor giving more time to wiggle out, chose to chase the survivor who has the flashlight by means of slugging the other one who can be saved or risk being flashed upon the next pick up.

All of the above gives the same result as a flash save the one being picked up does not go on the hook.
  • ForeheadSurviors
    ForeheadSurviors Member Posts: 154
    Options
    Noob first got banned for hacking legacy and then got temp banned for exploiting a place on the map where the killer couldn't get too showing it on stream it's a completely different scenario.

Did you think about the counter before posting? Like DS dribbling they can be body blocked, the killer has to drop the survivor giving more time to wiggle out, chose to chase the survivor who has the flashlight by means of slugging the other one who can be saved or risk being flashed upon the next pick up.

All of the above gives the same result as a flash save the one being picked up does not go on the hook.
    I love how you try and make it seem like the killer is the victim while in that situation, completely leaving out the fact that with the pick up animation speed the killer can either get a free hit and turn around or a free down and turn around again. Great logic there , put you as an developer for a week the game would have an catastrophic downfall.
  • twistedmonkey
    Options
    I love how you try and make it seem like the killer is the victim while in that situation, completely leaving out the fact that with the pick up animation speed the killer can either get a free hit and turn around or a free down and turn around again. Great logic there , put you as an developer for a week the game would have an catastrophic downfall.
    I never once said the killer was a victim I simply pointed out counters, you know the same way you pointed out blocking a DS dribbler what's to stop those killers getting a free hit?

Just like you said great logic, now try posting a proper counter argument instead of trying to just deflect as your first post stated a counter which works in this scenario as well.
  • artist
    artist Member Posts: 1,519
    Options
    nah you're just a ######### if u do it
  • HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298
    Options

You've gotten sufficient evidence back up that it is indeed allowed, there is no logical thing you can say that hasn't already been proved wrong with evidence and logic. If you can't blind a Killer then you're either facing a Killer who knows how to combat Flashlights or you need to get better. Either way, everything has counterplay and dropping a body, looking up, looking at a wall during the pick-up, and anything else is allowed.

Flashlights are strong if used correctly when you fail then you failed and need to time it better. You use the flashlight when they do the Break Pallet animation or when they do the pick-up animation, that is when you use flashlights which require you to stalk the killer or use the pallet properly. But to be honest flashing at a pallet does nothing because you leave scratch marks and slowed yourself down to get a few extra points.

Firecrackers are better than flashlights, use those. I'm not telling how you to use those though.