Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Tunneling should be promptly addressed

Comments

• KateDunson
    KateDunson Member Posts: 714

Nah they should just pause the hook timer when the killer is near by or make it last twice the time, we don't need other perks for bad game design

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,697

yeah that's never gonna happen after the other attempts.

• AsherFrost
    AsherFrost Member Posts: 2,340
    edited March 2022

That's been tried. Turns out survivors hate being left on hook by their teammates who would rather play "ring around the Rosie" with their hook far more than they hate being camped.

Seriously, it went so badly they reverted it faster than literally any other pre-killswitch change. Every time a survivor was chased, they'd just run for the hook. You could almost hear them yell "safe".

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

For as fast as the Gens can go....

I don't see anything happening to that so.... Tunneling will be a main stay (especially with MMR saying to get Kills as Killer)

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,615

Remember that this is an asymmetrical game, you can't pretend to 1vs1 the killer by yourself. When the killer is obsessed with you just play safe and force him to waste enough time to allow to your team to finish generators. You'll eventually die, but you will also allow your entire team to escape...

Anyway, back to the topic, even the devs considered tunneling a strategy, so the classic "deal with it" is applied here cause things won't change...

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
  • HaunterofShadows
    HaunterofShadows Member Posts: 4,092

My favorites are the old ds needed a buff and old ds was fine threads.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Indeed, let's not forget when they bravely spoke out against the butchering of old Billy too

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

Wait, you're telling me Sluzzy was AGAINST butchering old Billy?

• Dionysus42
    Dionysus42 Member Posts: 427

Tunneling should be addressed by making it easier to do, yes

• ukenicky
    ukenicky Member Posts: 1,352

I wish you'd make a post instead about how face camping should be addressed since that is actually a completely hopeless situation.

• MilManson
    MilManson Member Posts: 939
    edited March 2022

If my ruin has been insta-found and two gens are basically done before one chase has concluded the first one that gets downed is getting tunnelled simple.

Even more so if the survivors are on PC because I know they'll be salty in the end game chat.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Tunneling will not be addressed.

• CryptFriend
    CryptFriend Member Posts: 416

There's no way they'd make a killer like that. Imagine just ignoring the basic principles of the game as a killer power, jeez.

Honestly, they'd have to have some kind of crazy drawback to make that power work, and it's be too hard for newer players to learn--again, no way they'd make something like that.

But, if they did make a killer like that, I vote they name that killer "The Spirit."

... Wait a gosh-darn minute--

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
  • Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

Okay now Sluzzy is definitely not JUST iconic, they get promoted to "legendary" tier, alongside Karu and Orion.

• Magicalclawz
    Magicalclawz Member Posts: 14

Yoy should be happy that the killer tunnels you, cause that means you are a threat and are probably good at the game. When a killer tunnels me im happy cause im able to run them for 4 gens most of the time, even nurse, blight, spirit and artist are not as strong when you learn how to counter them.

Just think of it this way, sure you'll die but if youre team finishes all the gens and escapes then the killer lost. So technically you still won right? So what if you die, next game you can try to be the more immersed one and hide a little and do gens while someone else gets chased and tunneled.

In the end of the day tunneling doesnt really hurt the survivour as much as it does the killer, cause the killers will most likely loose the game anyways.

• DangerScouse
    DangerScouse Member Posts: 989

Exactly this! Getting someone out of the game, for the killer, is the most efficient way for them to have a chance. With gen speeds how they are.

You want the killer to "play fair". Maybe survivors should stop gens half way through, then go stand in a corner for 30 seconds to make it fair for the killer!

• Munqaxus
    Munqaxus Member Posts: 2,752

As much hate as you get Sluzzy, you are absolutely right on this one. (Honestly, I think a lot of the hate you get is because this forum is so crazy killer-sided).

And the other stupid game design decision is the fact that new players have absolutely no way to counter face-camping and tunneling-off-hook-till-dead until they pay cash for Laurie Strode (or get lucky with the shrine of secrets) and new players have to pay blood-points to open up the option to counter a strategy available to every single killer from the get-go.

• Barbarossa2020
    Barbarossa2020 Member Posts: 1,369

If there was an other way to get pressure/value in game then killers would do it.

Kicking gens is pointless, (insta tap repair, slow regression)

Wounded survs with CoH is pointless as they can endlessly self heal.

Having a surv on death hook has the best value/pressure. Either survs will try to peel so they're not doing gens or healing, or you've made the game into 3v1.

• NVerde
    NVerde Member Posts: 264

Call me crazy, but when I play a game I like to experience all of the gameplay. Yes, chases are fun - but if you are in a chase the whole time until you are dead, you've experienced a fraction of the game. Likewise for your teammates who have only sat on gens and done the odd unhook. I don't understand why this is difficult to grasp - tunnelling limits the experience for all the players. A limited experience is not the route to maximising fun

• Sluzzy
    Sluzzy Member Posts: 3,130

BHVR would file for bankruptcy if they compensated for all the slugging, tunneling, camping. Come on now, it is NOT that bad to play killer. The side where your skill and progression actually does reward you. Solo does not. The issue is clearly killer isn't fun for some players unless you are noob-stomping them at 5 gens still up.

• WeenieDog
    WeenieDog Member Posts: 2,184
    edited March 2022

No plz. I only just figured that tunneling the living #### out of the COH user despawns the totem entirely.

Ez counterplay.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

Lets be real both these statements are completely idiotic if genuine.

Only the most entitled customer expects any kind of compensation for playing a game, you guys can't be for real and if you are holy crap man find something else to play your attitudes are unhealthy for the game.

• AsherFrost

Oh yeah, I only want to be paid if I have to work specifically to make it fun for others instead of me, because at that point I'm not playing a game, I'm doing customer service. Luckily DbD doesn't work that way, so I'm good

• herbaljellyfish
    herbaljellyfish Member Posts: 115

I think the biggest thing to note between survivor perks like DS and BT and killer perks like NOED is that no matter what happens in the game, the killer gets to play the whole match, win or lose. I think this causes the biggest break between survivor mains and killer mains. Survivor mains hate when killers complain because again, no matter what happens, they get to play the full match every game. This is not at all true in the slightest for survivors. I think it's a bit disingenuous for killer mains to completely discount this fact. I believe this is likely why the devs made those perks for survivors in the first place, to extend that survivors play time. I mean, it's frustrating for someone to wait 10 minutes to join a game and get face camped or tunnelled in the first 2 minutes of the match and have to wait another 10 minutes again. I think this is why a lot of complaints come from survivors about getting camped and tunnelled. You may only have an hour or two to play and have the most miserable un-interactive experience that it's absolutely infuriating to the survivor on that crap end. Killers want to win and have a 4k....that's fine...but because of that playstyle, they are actively making someone else miserable. Sure, you can argue that "it's just a game", but it's not really a game if you have to wait 10 minutes to only get to play for 2 minutes. I don't see how people completely skip over that experience for the survivor. Especially when in solo q. I'm not saying this obligates the killer to play a certain way, but rather it's an extreme design flaw in the game that can easily infuriate someone trying to have fun on the survivor side of things. I'm not saying the killer can't get frustrated, they are completely entitled to, but it's a bit ridiculous to call a survivor "entitled" or hate perks that merely extend that survivors play time for the match.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

The problematic premise for the killer side is that it is 100% action and with that stress and hectic (depending on the amount you care for the win/you can suppress the human instinct).

Survivor have control over the pace of the game until the killer manages to exert the needed amount of pressure to gain control over the pace.

And now imagine the killer has to limit that amount by shackling themselves to subpart efficiency by juggling all 4 survivor, hooking survivor 1, then 2, then 3, 4, again 1,2... and so until all are on death hook and is only then allowed to kill.

Assuming a working matchmaking system setting both sides of comparable skill, the amount of pressure a killer has to exert to achieve pace control without reducing the number of survivors is insane and nearly impossible. (Again i am not talking about otz level killer vs pub survivor)

To emphasize this, only survivor have the option to go from playing with random s to playing with friends, reducing stress and frustration further but killer can't.

So at a certain point playing killer becomes nothing but a chore when expected to also keep the entertainment of the opposing side in mind, without throwing the game.

I myself did exactly that. I didn't see the need for to stress myself with trying to win when i also wanted to give survivor the best experience. So i played normal until survivor 1-4 had been double hooked and eased of to let them go. But playing like that and still getting often treated like dirt and taunted isn't worth it. So i am one of the player that stopped playing last year and will probably never come back since einhave many other games to have fun.

• pseudechis

If you aren't deriving fun then frankly you should play something else. I play less DBD these days because there have been a few design changes I don't think were very good lately and made it generally less fun overall.

Its not some benevolent act to play one side or the other and you really aren't deserving of extra BP's just for the sake of doing so.

The only real rationale for BP bonuses based on side is population numbers, if you have a disproportionate number of players playing one side then you compensate the other to incentivise players to switch and reduce queue times overall. That makes sense.

The "I deserve extra BP's because I don't find it fun to play one side" is just a silly mindset to have.

• Xaggy
    Xaggy Member Posts: 330

This is maybe a bit controversial but I think the mentality of people that are tunneled is the problem. People need to understand that this is 4v1 not 1v1 game. If you're getting tunneled do everything you can to waste the killer's time. That way you help your team to win. That's just my point of view.

• Smuk
    Smuk Member Posts: 735
    edited March 2022

Sluzzy. You lack of a skill. Ask Patrick

But dont worry! SBMM will fix your issues soon

• AsherFrost
    edited March 2022

And again, isn't what I typed.

The relevant sentences would be

"if I have to work specifically to make it fun for others instead of me"

And

"Luckily DbD doesn't work that way, so I'm good"

I was originally responding to someone who was complaining that killer tactics didn't "maximise the fun" for survivors. I don't believe that maximizing fun for survivors, is part of the job for the person playing killer, and pointed that out. If you feel differently, I would love to know why.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

We don't need another anti tunnel perk there is enough already and most Survivors even me don't use them as anti tunnel perks. At times tunneling is a good strat just not being used like alot of killers are doing it at

• latigresa
    latigresa Member Posts: 88

Tunneling is a valid strategy.

Pre-dropping pallets, body blocking, and 99% doors are also valid strategies.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,522

The only problem is that all of them are boring, except body blocking.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,693

Perhaps OP could provide some examples of the perks they would design to mitigate the problem.

• pseudechis

Well I completely misinterpreted what you mean then. To be fair the initial post you were responding to was folks saying they wanted to be compensated just for playing killer which is just kinda silly.

I agree no one is responsible for anyone else's fun other than their own.

• xEmoGirlxAlexisx
    xEmoGirlxAlexisx Member Posts: 598

" Survivors need Good Perks " .... Alexis laughts in CoH, DS, BT and Busted Dead Hard 🤷‍♀️

Also how would you Nerf Tunneling ? Do u would Love that the unhooked Survivor should have God Mode until the others 3 Survivor got hooked ?

Tunneling is a Tactic ans sadly the best tactic to have a chance at high MMR if the Game woupdnt be so Survivor Sided less Killers are tunneling

• Raccoon

Nothing can be done to tunneling itself without completely redesigning the game OR removing player choice/agency...neither of which are going to be on the table.

You'd think this would be evident after 5 years, but maybe year 6 is gonna be different!

• GuyFawx
    GuyFawx Member Posts: 2,027

Hey i tunnel as blight when the survivor puts up a good chase. Gotta practice them zflicks and slides every so often. So its not so much me wanting them out of the match as much as its me trying to get better against skilled players. So often when i tunnel them i wont 3 hook them and let their team mates heal up. Still tho i know its frustrating as a survivor so i always apologize in end game chat.

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333

Please, don’t ask for something for survs in a killers forum. Thx

• AsherFrost

Everytime I see this claim it makes me laugh. It's true though, if by killer you mean "person who doesn't immediately agree with any survivor buff/killer nerf you put forward" then yeah, it's a killers forum. Of course if you wanted to use logic, the data we actually have on forum members gaming habits and the like, it's primarily a forum for people who play both killer and survivor, because only a few people are paying up to 120 bucks for a game to only play half of it.

• Raccoon

Probably should have checked their posting history before wasting your keystrokes.

They're gone forever, now.

• AsherFrost

I'm familiar with them, I don't mind. Nothing is a waste if I have fun, and it's either reply or just do nothing while I wait for my colleagues so I can finish work today 😊

• dictep
    dictep Member Posts: 1,333
  • AsherFrost

Yes, but to be fair, that could be because I don't assume anyone who disagrees with me must play the role opposite the one I am discussing. I can't imagine how tiring that must be for you.

Facts are facts, every time any sort of poll has been done, the vast majority (right around 80%) play both sides. It's up to you if you want to accept reality or just continue to feel martyred by fictional forum leaning.

• pseudechis

I think its largely knee jerk response to people disagreeing with them, folks want an echo chamber not a discussion or debate.

You often find the people screaming that the forum killer or survivor biased are also people making just really outlandish or silly claims and when someone says hey that's just kinda silly their first response is well of course this is forum is biased for X, rather then hmm maybe I am being silly.