My Attempt at a Hillbilly "Rework"

Options
Shroompy
Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
edited December 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

INTRODUCTION

Hello friends, this is Shroompy (at least according to my username) and today I'm going to ruin yet another killer perfectly in my own image

Now Hillbilly is a tricky one as he's probably a community favorite in terms of playing as and against. I'm normally pretty nuclear when it comes to making changes (in a good way of course!) but Hillbilly is more going to be a few number changes. Now of course its not in Shroom Boom Boom fashion to touch up a killer without changing at least SOMETHING. So, I'm gonna be looking at all his add ons and giving him an add on pass!

Enough with the chit chat lets get that rework goin'

CHAINSAW CHANGES

• Increased Chainsaw sprint speed from 9.2m/s to 10m/s.
  • Increased Chainsaw charge time from 2.5 seconds to 2.8 seconds.
  • Decreased Chainsaw successful hit cool-down from 3 seconds to 2.5 seconds.
  • Decreased Chainsaw missed cool-down from 3 seconds to 2.5 seconds.
  • When initiating a Chainsaw sprint, for the first .75 seconds you cannot bump into objects.
  • Changed "roar". Only triggers after getting a Successful Chainsaw Hit.

Overheat Changes

Overheating the Chainsaw no longer disables it.

While Overheated:

• Using your Chainsaw will pause heat dissipation.
  • Successfully hitting Survivors with the Chainsaw will only damage them for 1 Health State.
  • After finishing a Chainsaw Sprint by any means, you suffer a 3.5 seconds cool-down.

These changes aim to make the Hillbilly feel better to play and make one of the more fun aspects of his kit being curving more accessible

Add-on Pass

The Hillbilly has some pretty lack luster add ons, so lets change that!

Some add ons I think are fine and will remain exactly the same, how ever the majority of them I feel are very situational and even then aren't really helpful.

The new/changed add ons will have an asterisk ( * ), those without an asterisk will be add ons that are exactly the same

Common

* Old Chain Brake (Replaces Steel Toe Boots)

A safety mechanism for the Chainsaw. While its seen better days, its still better than most stock ones.

• Reduces Cool-down time after hitting an obstacle during a Chainsaw Sprint by 17%.

Junkyard Air Filter

A cracked and dusty filter which still manages to work better than the stock model.

• Increases Overheat limit of the Chainsaw by 20 charges.

* Heavy Clutch

A well-made clutch that keeps the chain moving smoothly.

• Increases the time you cannot collide with objects when starting a Chainsaw Sprint by 67%.

* Speed Limiter

A mechanical device that limits the amount of fuel small engines can intake at one time, forcing a constant safe speed.

• Grants 100% Bonus Bloodpoints post trial.
  • Reduces Chainsaw Sprint movement speed by 17%.

Uncommon

* Spiked Boots (Replaces Dad's Boots)

Boots with strapped-on pieces of metal which burrow into mud for more stability and control with each step.

• Increases Turn Speed during the Chainsaw Sprint by 28%.

Punctured Muffler

A roughly modified muffler that allows for extra air flow.

• Increases Chainsaw cooling speed by 50%.

* Off-brand Motor Oil

Affordable oil, used to reduce friction as well as increasing the longevity of the chainsaw.

• Increases Chainsaw missed cool-down recovery speed by 12%.

* TV Antenna (Replaces Death Engravings)

An old TV Antenna, it reminds Max Jr of the little peace he had. Greatly motivates the user

• Increases Chainsaw Successful Hit recovery speed by 12%.

* Low Kickback Chains (Decreased Rarity from Rare to Uncommon)

A specialized chain that reduces the likelihood of kickback.

• Reduces Cool-down time after hitting an obstacle during a Chainsaw Sprint by 33%.

Rare

* Ma's Tooth (Replaces Mother's Helpers)

A cracked and bloody tooth dropped by Evelyn Thompson during her murder. Fills the user with rage and sorrow

• Decreases Chainsaw Charge Time by 12.5%.
  • Does not stack.

* Thompson's Mix (Replaces Leafy Mash)

A special oily substance used in the lubrication of all machinery, concocted by the Thompson's themselves.

• Increases Chainsaw Missed Hit recovery speed by 20%.

* Glass Shard (Replaces Black Grease)

A piece of glass taken from Max Jr's only friend

• Increases Chainsaw Successful Hit recovery speed by 20%.

* Doom Engravings

Engravings found on the Chainsaw body representing the dark beast that lives in the Fog. Fills the user with determination.

• Increases movement speed during a Chainsaw Sprint by 15%.

* Tuned Carburetor

Despite being caked in dirt and oil, this carburetor has been well adjusted.

• Reduces Charge Time of the Chainsaw by 25%.
  • Does not stack.

Very Rare

* Thompson's Moonshine

A strong beverage made from corn and a recipe passed down in the Thompson's family.

• Increases Turn Speed during the Chainsaw Sprint by 44%.
  • Increases Cool-down time after hitting an obstacle during a Chainsaw Sprint by 28%

* Pa's Hand

The severed hand of Max Thompson Sr, used to endlessly beat and shove Junior around when he wasn't listening . Gives the user a sense of direction.

• After getting a Successful Chainsaw Hit, any Survivor within your Terror Radius is revealed by Killer Instinct for 3 seconds.
  • Does not work if Overheated.

"Come on! Show 'em Boy!" -Max Thompson Sr.

* Pighouse Gloves

Rancid smelling gloves, soiled with unknown substances. Despite everything wrong with them, they do have thick fabric.

• Grants the ability to trigger the Dying State on Successful Chainsaw Hits while Overheated.
  • Increases Chainsaw Charge Time by 25% while Overheated.

"Ain't no mess can stain a hard-workin' man's soul." -Max Thompson Sr.

Apex Muffler

A masterfully crafted chainsaw muffler that outperforms all others.

• Silences the Chainsaw for all Survivors outside The Hillbilly's Terror Radius.

Ultra Rare

LoPro Chains

Light chains that decrease the weight of the Chainsaw, allowing for greater maneuverability.

• Continue the Chainsaw Sprint after breaking a Pallet or Breakable Wall with the Chainsaw.
  • Survivors hit with the Chainsaw within 5 seconds of breaking a Pallet or a Breakable Wall are only damaged for 1 Health State.

* Iridescent Brick

Once representative of Max Jr's confinement, this was the first brick to fall when his room's barricade came crashing down.

• While recovering from a Successful Chainsaw Hit, press the Active Ability button to immediately start another Chainsaw Sprint.
  • Survivors hit within 5 seconds of The Hillbilly getting a Successful Chainsaw Hit will only be damaged for 1 Health State.

FINAL NOTES

Well, thats all folks! I really hope you enjoyed reading through this as much I enjoyed writing it! The Hillbilly is a killer that has been wronged in the past and while Overheat is something we wish we could live without, I think its time we embrace it. This was my shot at keeping it while still keeping him enjoyable.

Feedback would be greatly appreciated <3

Post edited by Shroompy on

Comments

• Shroompy
    Options

the bunch of edits are me realizing mistakes lmao

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,158
    Options

Honestly I like the idea of overheat not disabling the chainsaw but making it less lethal

It punishes the dreaded 'feathering' that happened and would help curb facecamping with the chainsaw somewhat while also not locking Billy out of his most important mobility tool.

Outside of outright removing overheat (which won't happen), I like this alternative

• Shroompy
    Options

And thats exactly what my goal was.

To still make Overheat a hinderance but not as much of a hinderance as it is now, it makes him a tad bit easier as well as being able to still use your chainsaw while Overheated grants more opportunities to learn how to use it effectively

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,584
    Options

Or just revert the nerf completely.

• Shroompy
    Options

Considering it's been almost 2 years since it happened, I think its safe to say its here to stay

Embrace the heat sunshine

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

I do not want to deal with a slower charge time on Billy as a basekit.

• Evocto
    Evocto Member Posts: 11
    Options

Even better "rework" ideal just revert him to the way he was before the ######### overheat mechanic.

• Warcrafter4
    Warcrafter4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Options

I like the add-ons but two of the basekit changes need work.

The Chainsaw Sprinting speed should come with a proportional amount of base turning rate up so billy maintains his current basekit turning. Faster movement speed but no turning rate increase just means billy while faster has less control aka it would make him work like he had pre-buff "Adrenalin Vile" baseline.

He just doesn't need a longer charge rate in general as he's gameplay is already clunky enough as it.

Let alone if he's going to have overheat as the longer he needs to charge the more quickly he overheats and thus the longer between chainsaws he has as a penalty to avoid over heating.

But overall the best rework would be a full revert with minor add-on changes.

• Shroompy
    Options

The extra charge time and movement speed is actually the exact same stats that he has when using Doom Engravings rn, I forgot to also bring in the less heat generated tho.

And I think the reason why he feels so clunky is more so animations and longer cooldowns, which I tried to arrange with shorter cooldowns.

• Shroompy
    Options

If youre going for curves, you were charging for longer than 2.8 seconds anyway, also that charge time is the exact same as running Doom Engravings, same goes for the increased movement speed

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

This is a nerf for shorter loops (TLs) and back revs. I’m one of the anti-engravings Billy mains. I do like some of the suggestions in OP though. The overheat rework is interesting.

• TurboTOne
    TurboTOne Member Posts: 347
    Options

I dunno, don't you think the charge time is a bit long ?

Also does he really need more Speed ?

I agree though that you made a much much better Job then i did with my Ideas.

• Shroompy
    Options

Charge time and speed is exactly the same with Doom Engravings, I just forgot to make him generate less heat when initially making the post but I fully intended that to be there as well.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,990
    edited November 2022
    Options

As a Billy main, I love this a lot, but I can see some parts of this being problematic.

I feel like Overheating should only apply when in close proximity to a hooked survivor with the intensity of the Overheating being based on the distance between you and the hooked survivor. Something to heavily decentivizing camping with their power but not hinder their chase potential, since I like the idea of Overheating only taking a single health state instead of two health states and think it could be really applicable to stop camping with their power.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,783
    Options

I'm really not sure what to think of this...some of it I love (like Hillbilly's roar or that genuinely unique idea of no bumping for the first 0.75 seconds) while some I don't think I'd ever get used to as a Billy main since his original rework (such as increase in speed + charge time).

Overheat seems interesting. Personally I think if your changes were to go through then the chainsaw should stay disabled to 50% and then you can use it while it's Overheating, as I think a bad Hillbilly could potentially cause a lot of undeserved pressure otherwise, however that's just me being nitpicky.

As for his add ons, these look quite good. I'm still under the impression that Lopro chains shouldn't exist but I'm glad you atleast made them Ultra Rare opposed to Very Rare. I also really like the idea of the reworked Iridescent Brick. While it seems weak it would definitely be very fun to mess around with, could be very good if you want to quickly rotate around the map but there's a sharp turn at one point. Finally I'd use the Heavy Clutch every single match. Seems like an amazing add on if your changes went through.

• Shroompy
    Options

This is something I remember considering when originally making the rework, but ultimately decided against it

The reason why is because at the end of the day, Billy's chainsaw is still a tool that can be used for mobility and is an insta down. Part of Billy's high skill ceiling is the micro management and I wanted to keep that, but also make his chainsaw a bit more accessible and forgiving to learn.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 2,990
    Options

His chainsaw still has a huge skill gap. Regardless of the mobility and insta-down ability, most people regard old Hillbilly as being balanced if you are excluding insta-saw addons (since insta-saw was the only problematic aspect to Billy), this is because Hillbilly is satisfying to both play as and going against since his power is fair in actual practice.

His power has counterplay for survivors, and optimal play for Billy that still rewards going for outlandish and interesting plays. Hillbilly was so dynamic back then, and most of the changes mentioned push Hillbilly towards that direction again, but ignores the elephant in the room which is that Billy was too strong at camping which is why he received changes to begin with (with Bubba ironically taking their place as a result, but I think BHVR has given up on trying to remove camping since then due to how much nuance there can be with being in close proximity to a hooked survivor).

Making camping less desirable but making his power functionally feel just as good if not better than it use to be should be the go-to in my opinion. It makes the game more fair and interesting for both sides. It's not about making him stronger or weak, it's about making Billy feel good for both sides.

• Shroompy
    Options

Thanks for the feedback :)

As for your concerns, the increased charge time and movement speed is the same as if you had Doom Engravings on the current build. And the point of allowing the use of your chainsaw while Overheated is to make the Chainsaw a bit more new player friendly and to make learning him a bit more easier. Also finishing a Chainsaw Sprint in any way will make you suffer from a 3.5 second cooldown, keep in mind this also applies to whiffing the saw or hitting people, reducing his snowball potential while Overheated, but still keeping his chase potential relatively the same

• Shroompy
    Options

I don't think his ability was changed because of camping, his power barely changed in that aspect. The reason why I believe they changed him is because of the map changes they recently did at that time. They reduced the size and nerfed the strong loops on several maps, and they were probably scared Billy would overperform because of this. He was also one of the only killers who didn't follow the same formula in terms of add ons so that also gave them an excuse to change him. Did I think he needed to be nerfed as badly as he was? No. But I also think a killer who has an insta down and great mobility needs some kind of drawback, since every other killer with high mobility does.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979
    Options

As much as I love the new speed limiter idea, bhvr would never go for it as it's literally BBQ and chili all over again

• Shroompy
    Options

Wasnt the intent, was supposed to be only in the Deviousness Category like it is now