Exit Gates Lose Progression if abandoned

Options
GuardianoftheCrystal
GuardianoftheCrystal Member Posts: 101
edited April 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

So I was thinking in order too make the game more interesting. And to stop the 99% exit gate meta is to have the Exit Gates slowly lose progression if abandoned by a survivor. I am sure this has been suggested before in the past. Probably salted down by millions of survivor mains. But still the idea itself is pretty nifty. It would make a survivor make a choice between holding down the gate till fully opened or risk having too leave it behind to digress. It will also make End Game a bit more interesting.

Comments

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 323
    Options

I agree as well. I would think that it would add an extra layer of thought and panic to the survivors. It is after all a horror game. Their friend went down. They can escape, open the door now... or we can risk it and go back for our friend but will we be able to open the gate in time?

Would make for alot more tension in the match. Just my opinion tho.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

I play both sides and agree that this should be a thing. Even if its a slow progression.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949
    Options

I would want to have this in game, however I'm skeptical cause it could just be a thing where you just tap the gate and ignore regression kinda creating the same situation we have now

• SkeletalElite
    SkeletalElite Member Posts: 2,681
    Options

I don't think this should be basekit, maybe you could tack it as a buff to remember me though.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,808
    edited April 2022
    Options

Exit gate regression is something that has been tested in the past and the devs decided against it as it widened the gap between SWF and solo:

I do wish everyone would stop 99%ing the gate, though. All it ever does is get me killed, because they abandon it almost every time. Or sometimes they block the switch and wait until the killer downs me again before opening it up and running out themselves.

God I hate solo queue.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

I was gonna talk about this being tested before, but you've saved me the trouble.

A lot of interesting ideas for survivor gameplay just seem to not hold up to the outsized effect that SWF play has on the game vs Solo play. It's sad because it makes hard to shrink the gap between both styles of play while adding novel ideas to the game.

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 6,808
    Options

The thing that makes me most sad is we will never get a killer that can pretend to be a survivor because SWF would absolutely nullify its power.

• CharlieChatBox
    CharlieChatBox Member Posts: 258
    Options

0.25 charges per second works for regression, since it'll take about 80 seconds to regress a 99.9% gate.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

It would not widen the gap between SWF and Solo as it already is that way.

• Milo
    Milo Member Posts: 7,383
    Options
  • sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,611
    Options

Meh I disagree with it being a basekit feature. 99ing gates to avoid starting EGC is a valid strategy and the EGC was never intended to favor one side over the other (although it already does favor the killer).

Could there be a perk that does this though? Absolutely.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949
    Options

Fair point. I just don't want the new feature to somehow become a boil over on RPD situation where it's abusable so easily

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

yes, 99ing gates is lame and boring.

each lightbulb should be a progress checkpoint. if you leave the gateswitch before reaching the next bulb, it will regress to the last bulb.

• HagathaSimmons
    HagathaSimmons Member Posts: 236
    Options

I saw something about this forever ago. Like a DBD leaks video of a regressing exit gate. I haven’t heard anything about it since….

• Megmain80
    Megmain80 Member Posts: 138
    Options

No for basekit. Perk in some way is fine.

• Reshy
    Reshy Member Posts: 402
    Options

Quality of life improvements on killer really need to stop being packaged as addons or perks.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,089
    Options

Exit gates should not regress if there is 1 remaining survivor

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    Options

Like it only regresses if no gates are open and the EGC is inactive, when hatch is either not an option or has been closed?

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,591
    Options

I agree with this idea, but I do see one oversight. You know the strategy of getting a gate to 25% so that the first red light doesn't light up, making the killer think that a survivor hasn't touched it? Assuming that the progress will go down reasonably fast, that strategy will become more consistent if a survivor screws up and gets it to the first red light, and then it goes back down to where the red light turns off. Unless of course you'd like the red light to stay on once it's been turned on, something that survivors will inevitably argue against to the death if gate regression becomes a thing, so that they can use the strategy I've just mentioned more effectively.

• HexDaddyissues
    HexDaddyissues Member Posts: 328
    Options

as a 99%er- i agree 100%. it is incredibly unbalanced to have the gates be primed and ready to go at any moment. even when i do 99 a gate i will usually leave and run to the otehr one to give teh killer a chance at catching me. +1 for regression of opening gates.

• spaz
    spaz Member Posts: 29
    Options

Actually a better idea that relates to this topic: The end game collapse timer should start as soon as the last gen is completed. This eliminates survivors 99ing the gates because now they are in danger the moment the 5th gen is done. Think about it the killer is in danger the moment the game starts because 3 gens can pop by first down, therefore the opposite should be true and survivors should be in immediate danger when finished with gens. Also will reduce the t bagging survivors do at the gate which is a plus.

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,517
    Options

This is something that was tested initially and didn't work, it felt awful.

EGC is there to prevent matches from being taken hostage - that's the reason it was implemented. A way to end matches naturally, not to give one side an advantage in the endgame.

Previously survivors could just open the door and do whatever for any particular length of time - that's all this is intended to stop. It's the reason that killers can also open the doors now.

• AngyKiller
    AngyKiller Member Posts: 1,838
    Options

Why not a Killer perk where, if they open a gate, the other gate becomes un-openable? Maybe permanently, maybe for a set amount of time.

The Killer is making the choice to 'help' Survivors, but also funneling them towards him.

• ProfSinful
    ProfSinful Member Posts: 271
    Options

I agree that this should be a thing, but instead of a full regression it should regress by 10% of the total progress you make on the gate.

Ex. you make 50% progress, it regresses by 5% total. 99% and it regresses 9.9% (rounded up) and 10% sees a 1% regression.

Overall a change like that punishes 99ing while leaving other strategies valid and simultaneously encourages the use of perks like Wake Up and Remember Me

• Tr1nity
    Tr1nity Member Posts: 5,047
    Options

This would widen the gap between SWF and Solo.

a SWF would just have one person keep the gate 99’d while a solo team would feel it far more.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 725
    Options

We never got a chance to try it ourselves, it would have been more wise to let us, the playerbase; try out this Exit Game Regression and see why it doesn't work as intended. If your goal is to prevent a Everlasting Endgame, in the hands of the killer; then why are there Endgame perks that do just that. To me, the Exit Gate Regression sounds more like a minor Quality of Life improvement for killer as it would prevent Survivors from 99 Exit gates and then need to commit to open it immediately. Plus, it would make wake up and other Gate opening perks more convenient to run.

I would love a technical/logical explanation as to why The Exit Gate Regression is a bad idea, straight from the Devs. Why does it "felt awful?"

• Reshy
    Reshy Member Posts: 402
    Options

Well currently we have the exact same problem with 99ing of doors basically allowing survivors to do whatever they want for any particular length of time till they want to all escape.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,089
    Options

Or not repairing the last gen and taking the game hostage at 1 gen, when the killer cannot open the exit gate