Are you just waiting for a better game?

I'm curious how DBD players feel about the new Evil Dead game that's coming out. A few people I've talked to have said they hope it's great because they're sick of DBD. The only reason they still play it is because no alternative has been better. What about you?

Comments

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,670

Same.

But to be fair to the people I talked to, they've been playing DBD longer than I have (and I've been playing for years).

• KrazyKatFTW
    KrazyKatFTW Member Posts: 203

Not really but i am probably ready for a new main game, its gonna have to be one hell of a game to give me what i have got from DBD over the years tho

• AshInTheTallGrass

Yeah. I miss loving a new game. I hope Evil Dead is great, but I'm not done with DBD yet.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

There'll never be a game like DbD

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,904

The two aren't mutually exclusive so why quit DBD just because there is another survival horror game out there?

DBD is still fun even if something better comes along.

I still play F13, but it has solo play mode so you can keep gaming even when there is no one else online, as its pretty dead these days. I hope DBD eventually gets custom game bots so I can have a few games even if the community dies off. (Heck I'd rather play bots over PVP now).

I'm hoping upcoming games give some extra options in the genre though most are pretty crummy.

Prop night is just to silly a concept for me to get into it.

Bigfoot is a great idea but never seems to get updated its still pre-release as far as I'm aware. (Selling pre-release unfinished content is a really crummy new trend, where is the incentive to ever finish your product if people are willing to drop cash on unfinished garbage, most of em never get further than an open beta).

In silence is fun but has pretty limited scope long term,

Predator hunting grounds is one of the better ones and I get a lot of joy out of it even if it has really long queue times.

Have yet to try that "burn the witch" one, I forget what its called, or GTFO.

Looking forward to evil dead.

DBD still wins out because its got a collective of iconic horror characters and great original designs all in one place, I just wish the gameplay offered more than it does, its pretty static after a couple of years.

• xTalon32
    xTalon32 Member Posts: 413

Honestly, if you play this game competitively you're in for severe disappointment. It will never be balanced to a point where the entire playerbase is happy. And quite frankly, BHVR has a record of catering to the loudest group of people (though not always, just most of the time).

For myself, there really isn't much to keep me attached to this game unfortunately. The community as a whole is good, but the more vocal elements sour the mood. Definitely a great game to play with 5 people in discord, but other than that it's lost the "horror" element because killers just aren't scary anymore. I played survivor for the "fear" but after years of making survivors more powerful I don't have to fear the killer anymore since the game is way too easy now. And playing killer isn't rewarding at all since you're basically the weak one in the game.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,238

If something came along that was more competitive, sure. I'd prefer much tighter matchmaking and less skill variation in opponents/teammates

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

I have the ability to own and switch back and forth between more than one game at a time. No, I will not teach you how.

• The_Krapper
    The_Krapper Member Posts: 3,259

I'll buy and play just about any new horror game that comes out but the thing that DBD has to it's advantage is the amount of time it's been out because all these licensed chapters and iconic characters are here in one place as to where those other games will more than likely not have that sort of mix up when it comes to different killers and even if they tried it would take years for them just to catch up to the same level as DBD as far as different characters with different abilities

• Adjatha
    Adjatha Member Posts: 1,814

I'm waiting for any one of the following:

• Bot games
    • Alternate Game Modes
    • Pyramid Head Addon Rework
    • Un-nerfing Freddy, Deathslinger, Pinhead, Wraith

Till then, I just check the forum every so often, with a little bit less hope each time.

• AshInTheTallGrass

It's also a detriment. The amount of time (and blood points) it takes to accumulate all the perks and get them to tier 3 is daunting for new players. The more chapters they add, the harder that becomes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the devs acknowledged this is a problem and said they were trying to figure out how to make the grind more feasible. I hope they do. If not, the game won't be sustainable for new players.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Tbh getting a better game is much less probable than DbD getting better.

But then, both is nonexistent anyway.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2022

I may play other games every now and then regardless of the genre, but nothing can ever replace DBD for me, ever.

It will always be my main game no matter what.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,169

I have no interest in any of the other assymetrical games

Wish them all the success in the world though, the genre is a very limited one.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Wow, a day oner. You're a rare breed in this game. *salute*

• Princeharlequinhq
    Princeharlequinhq Member Posts: 74

I wouldn't say I'm waiting for a better game because I genuinely love this game. However, I am waiting for a game or two to put pressure on the devs so that DBD can reach its full potential. Due to the lack of competition, I feel like the the devs do the bare minimum because they have no incentive to do more. With that being said, I also have a fear that if there was competition the devs would just see it as a way out and just step away from the project completely.

• TheDarkTyrant
    TheDarkTyrant Member Posts: 2,074

Thing is, no game is like DBD. And the same is for those other games. Those other games in this genre are also really good. Like for example REsistance. There is nothing like REsistance just like there is nothing like DBD. There is nothing like F13 because it is so unique from the rest. The genre itself is just such a great one that every game is drastically different. They can't compete with each other because they don't feel the same at all. Not even close. The only thing games like REsistance for example have with DBD is that it's 4v1. Outside of that, it's nothing like DBD and DBD is nothing like it. Just like Evil Dead The Game. Evil Dead looks more like a REsistance and Left 4 Dead mix.

• Kilmeran
    Kilmeran Member Posts: 3,142
    edited May 2022

A better game? Well, that's subjective. While I used to enjoy the Killer aspect here, I never enjoyed the survivor side of the game. It's just boring for me. I enjoyed counselor in FF13 a heck of a lot more. At least I had a chance of fighting back there. From what I hear of the Texas Chainsaw game, it'll be a lot like here: you don't fight back as survivor. That's a 'meh' from me.

Meanwhile, I grew-up on Evil Dead. The first one released when I was 10 years old. I love Evil Dead. All three films, all three seasons of the TV show, and even the Army of Darkness comic books. I was lucky enough to get into the beta for Evil Dead: The Game and I found it amazingly fun on both sides. I already preordered and can't wait for Friday.

Is it better? Again, depends on the person. It is to me because I prefer that type of game play over the DbD style. I only played DbD because it was the only game in town for that PvP horror fix.

• starkiller1286
    starkiller1286 Member Posts: 889

I play on occasion but I don't think I'll flat out uninstall if/when another asymmetrical game comes out. DVD is the only one that has demodog, freddy, bubba, ect all in one. Plus despite how aggravating the game or some players may be the same can be said for nearly every multiplayer pvp game.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

Nah I've played plenty of other games and not even counting just this genre but DBD is the one I always come back to. I don't think I'd ever say DBD is my favorite game (that honor goes to and probably always will be Bloodborne) but it is the game I've been able to consistently enjoy for the longest amount of time.....ignoring the 3-4 times I've uninstalled, IT'S A COMPLEX RELATIONSHIP OKAY.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

No, I'm just waiting for improvements to DbD. Sure there's going to be other multiplayer/asymmetrical horror themed games, but I like DbD and it's lore and characters, so I don't think I'll ever flat out uninstall the game.

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 968

waiting for balance improvements and optimization for DBD , but it seems that is not gonna happen sooner. i have been playing for 3 years now and this is my thoughts.

-Optimization got worse.

-Map balance got weird. (is still pretty bad for killers but sometimes can be dead zones for survivor)

-perk balance still bad. (either broken stuff cof cof "DH" or useless ones like "solidarity")

-some killers feels rushed and just anti-loop over and over. (Hold W to counter isnt interactive)

• FinalFractureTV
    FinalFractureTV Member Posts: 19

Yeah I gotta be honest, DBD is starting to run its course. Let other games come take the throne for a bit at least.

• Furgoe
    Furgoe Member Posts: 18

Yeah, pretty much. Evil dead looks good and the 'killer' side of things looks much more like you are assuming the role of an antagonistic DM rather than the killer as we see it here. Hopefully that should allow for a less toxic atmosphere.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,430

Already pre-ordered Evil Dead but DBD remains my main game.

I am not waiting for a better game, I still enjoy playing both roles. With that being said I hope that DBD evolves more. Because it would be a good thing for them and for us.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546
    edited May 2022

Idk why someone would still play Dbd if they don't even enjoy it and they're just waiting for a new, "better" game to come out. It's a very odd mentality to me tbh

EDIT: grammar error

• ArchAbhor
    ArchAbhor Member Posts: 847

Nah Even if there was a better 4v1 game I'm to much of a horror fan to not return to it every once and awhile. As much ######### as the fan base gives it. It still has a lot going for it that isnt going to be just uprooted by 1 game coming out.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Yeah I'm really intrigued by how the competition between the demon and humans is going to play out. I don't see myself fully deleting DBD (still love this game) but I want to try something new and fun.

• Agt_Scully
    Agt_Scully Member Posts: 156

Nope. I found out about DBD in January of this year and I've been hooked ever since. I have no interest in any other game and plan to keep playing it as long as they keep the servers running.

DBD is the WoW of asymmetrical games. Everyone said WoW would die when SWTOR, New World, and other MMOs were released (the so-called "WoW Killers") but 18 years later and the game still has over 5 million monthly players. DBD is just as profound and innovative as WoW in the asymmetrical realm so I don't see any other competitors taking the throne from DBD 👑!

• deKlaw_04
    deKlaw_04 Member Posts: 3,660

I agree with you. If you don’t like a game just quit and move on. I did the same with NBA2k. Didn’t like how the games were going so I quit

• Valik
    Valik Member Posts: 1,274

The three biggest things I love about the game:

The gritty aesthetic and amazing art direction

The horror / thriller aspects intertwined with casual gameplay

The focus on perks and powers that turn a very simple premise into a lattice of incredibly complex interaction.

I do not think that there will be any game that hits all three of these boxes. I also have personal sentimentality with the game to the point I don't want to see it leave my life. However, it's something that if the developers continue to neglect and mismanage the product, I may have to find alternatives. I'm not sure what other game has such an interesting dynamic, art style, and structure to it.

• conqueror_worm__
    conqueror_worm__ Member Posts: 96

I haven't read all the comments but yeah, I'm waiting for a new and better game, I can't wait for Evil Dead, I'm a huge fan of the franchise, I'm hoping its better than DBD because...well, why wouldn't I, if its better than DBD then it'll be worth every penny.

I was talking to my pal about it just today and I said that it'll just be nice to have another option, when I was playing DBD the other night with him I had 4 or 5 miserable games on the trot and didn't enjoy a single one of them, it would have been perfect if we could have said "sod this, lets have an hour or two on Evil Dead instead"

At the moment because DBD has the monopoly on A-symmetrical games it means we don't have any choice but to play it, I enjoy the game but man I've sunk so many hours into it that it has gotten to the point where we play it purely because there is nothing else.

When Evil Dead does come out, I won't be turning my back on DBD at all but I also (hopefully) won't be hammering it like I do now

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

I just play DBD, because I bought it. I hope Evil Dead is good.

• Vetrathene
    Vetrathene Member Posts: 1,425

I'm always waiting for another game, but nothing ever is quite as good...somehow.

• Bran

The most I've really seen of evil dead is the single game I've played of it and I'll say this.

Dead by daylight is complete garbage compared to it.

• PerfectlyPink
    PerfectlyPink Member Posts: 435

Thats a massive stretch... No that down right wrong. Evil Dead is fun AF but holy ######### it has some cyberpunk 2077 level bugs and 2016 dbd levels of imbalance

• Bran

We don't talk about cyberpunk. When it first released looked way better than it does now.

Anyway, that one game is all I needed to see. Every game needs it's tweaks though

• ElleGreen
    ElleGreen Member Posts: 1,063

I love dbd but this anniversary chapter Is super repetitive of stuff we have already. A house map, a teleporting killer, and more weaker versions of other survivor perks... A lot of things have come out that help with when dbd gets stale like EDTG and VHS! The Quarry comes out too soon!!!!!

• bittercranberry
    bittercranberry Member Posts: 454
    edited May 2022

The only thing keeping this game alive and ahead of its competition is its licenses, remove them and the player base will be obsolete.