Please improve the pathing for Nemesis' zombies

Alionis
Alionis Member Posts: 1,023
edited May 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

These are two screenshots from a game yesterday: they had both been stuck in those exact locations for at least a minute and it kept happening all across the map. I had to walk to them and get them unstuck numerous times, wasting precious time that against a more competent team of survivors, could have cost me the game.

The most frustrating part is in the second screenshot: she's not stuck on anything, she just walked up to that wall and stopped for no reason.

I really like the zombies, but I desperately wish they would have at least functioning basic Roomba AI: hit an obstacle, stop, turn, try new direction, especially when they walk on the spot, not realizing they're stuck. Adding code here, that checks whether the zombies are actually physically moving across the map when they are in the walk cycle or not, and get them unstuck if the latter is the case, would be such a big quality of life improvement.

It's not fun wasting the top movement speed addons when I get no use out of them because they are stuck all the time.

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,616

She just put herself in timeout...

Nah, I agree, Nemesis could use some help and the zombie AI is one of the biggest areas to be focused on. They're already a pretty nice tracking tool, but they could really do with being more consistent.

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992

Red Forest is one of the worst realms for them getting stuck, in my experience. Lots of dead zone, trees, and rocks to get stuck in. Followed closely by Backwater Swamp. He needs a way to remotely destroy zombies, without raising his mutation level. It's simply ridiculous that your power is often completely negated just by map RNG.

• Alionis
    Alionis Member Posts: 1,023

That or a mechanic I would love him to have: the ability to call both zombies to the closest two hooks near him once every 60 seconds or so (thinking about Doctor's static blast).

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,536

I support this.

• Mozic
    Mozic Member Posts: 601

I'd love to see my niece (Tattle) and nephew (Speedbump) become a little more coordinated around the map! As it stands currently they provide value so inconsistently that when they do, I commonly see survivors DC over it.

I may be recalling incorrectly, but I think I remember back when Nemesis was in PTB a lot of folks reported a notable drop in framerate when they went against Nemesis, but that report has kind of vanished. I wonder if the zombie pathfinding AI (namely collision detection) was too demanding and they had to knowingly dumb it down. 🤔

In any case, as a nemesis main I'd definitely appreciate being able to see them as an asset in addition to being zombie daycare.

• MineatomTR
    MineatomTR Member Posts: 47
  • Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,554

someone was working on this gen, the zombie was stuck on the top the entire time at the boxes.

Instances like these have a drastic impact on the outcome of the match.

I can send multiple videos of me as survivor casually working on a gen, as a Zombie fails to understand that they can walk around terrain to stop me from working on a gen.