The 4% Unhook is Unfair

Imagine you have a really good game going as the Killer. You've managed to get one or more Survivors on the hook, or you have one particular Survivor hooked during endgame and are about to secure a 3K.

But then...

The 4% happens.

The good plays that you made as the Killer were ultimately stripped away by a simple, luck-based mechanic that you have zero preparation for. When it happens, you'll feel like crap, knowing that a simple random chance mechanic saved the Survivors' games. Especially so if that nasty Survivor has Decisive Strike on hand just in case you try to recover from that play.

This archaic mechanic that should have been dropped in the past is one of the many, many things wrong with the game and should be the first of many, many random elements that should be dropped in order to maintain a fair and fun experience for all players involved.

But I'm not asking to remove the mechanic of self-unhooking, only the one where you can randomly self-unhook yourself without the need of another Perk.

So what would change as a result of it?

Slippery Meat

• Perk reworked to have a differing effect; likely increasing unhooking speeds of Survivors that attempt to unhook you, leading to a more altruistic play being required to save you.

Deliverance

• Perk unlocks the Self-Unhook mechanic when activated.
  • Otherwise unchanged.

Breakdown

• Perk no longer activates on Self-Unhooks aside from a Deliverance unhook.

The Camping Issue

• Due to the fact that it will now take 60 seconds consistently to go from first stage to second stage, the Killer now wastes more time trying to camp you on the hook consistently, allowing for more potential to save you.

Basically, get rid of this unfair mechanic, it is actually bad for this game.

Comments

• anarchy753
    anarchy753 Member Posts: 4,212

I see removing it as a win-win.

Killers win by not having crappy turnarounds because RNG decided to shove a middle finger up them.

Survivors win because it's harder to ######### on hook to DC without penalty.

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148

Hey man, it's something different. Not like the meta killers and survivors deal with on a daily basis. It can be fun to have one random get the lucky break they need to shift the game back. Fun on both sides, I might add.

• Clockwork_Enigma
    Clockwork_Enigma Member Posts: 529

The mechanic is equivalent to the Random Tripping mechanic in Super Smash Bros. Brawl. You don't know when it will happen, but when it does happen, it changes the game in your opponent's favor and feels extremely bad on you because you have no input on it.

• JaviiMii
    JaviiMii Member Posts: 286

Hard disagree - on pretty much everything. Does it feel bad if rng screws you over? It certainly can - but rng is an integral part of DBD on many levels and it can go either way for both sides.

But. Opinions can vary so, agree to disagree or something.

There is, however, something I do want to point out: forcing people to stay on hook will not lead to "more potential to unhook you". If anything it forces the survivor on the hook into a lose-on-every-front-situation; they literally can't do anything while also not getting anything out of this forced sacrifice. If anything it will lead to more dc-on-first-hook. It is not a lack of time that leads to people not getting unhooked --- and people going for the 4% without really waiting for someone to unhook them is usually not pettiness. Sure, I can only speak for myself, but what gets me to 4% after a few seconds is when I see those yellow auras; one crouching on the other side of the map while I am the one with terror radius. - One being afk somewhere - and the third teabagging the afk one. When I see that, I'm out. One way or the other.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

I'd rather self-unhooking be guaranteed and come with a massive downside instead of just be tied to super thin RNG.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

If a survivor gets a 4%, it's not the end of the world. Generally the only time they are doing it is if everyone is slugged or hooked, so you basically already won at that point. One more chase won't hurt.

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 746

Personal, I would disagree. I get it, it feels upsetting as a Killer to have that one lucky Survivors whom able to kope the 4% chances; but I like it because it is a Gamble. The risks are high when it comes Killing yourself faster; but the reward in self unhooking without a perk is rewarding. It helps Survivors whom avoid giving the killer stacks on Devour Hope, and it waste the Killer's time and gives the other Survivors a chance to work on gens.

Although I do admit, Luck mechanic seem like a outdated and quite frankly useless mechanic. Even with perks and offerings to stack luck; you still have a high chance to die faster.

Plus, it much better then having to deal with Unbreakable in most situations. Unbreakable is far more game changing, when the killer is forced to slug yet all it takes is one Survivor bringing this perk to change the flow of the game.

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148

Dude, that's the same with survivors and killers bringing nothing but meta. At least this isn't every game, right?

• ihateboons
    ihateboons Member Posts: 167

I don't know where you get its "bad for the game". I can go the whole game without being hooked, then when I DO get downed, i'm slugged until the last person dies on hook to prevent me from being able to even attempt.

So, I'll have to pass. If you're upset because a SWF coordinated perks/addons/offerings, that's one thing. But removing this hurts SoloQ players. They would have to completely redo the hook mechanics around this suggestion.

I also feel removing this will lead to even more first down/hook DCs, which will actually be detrimental for the game as people are already full of salt as soon as they enter the trial.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,786

RNG is part of the game, it's one of those things that make it unique.

In any case if you reach a point of complaining about a little thing such as the 4% you might be taking the game too seriously.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Technically, to be fair it should be 50%... So, you're onto something...

• Sakurra
    Sakurra Member Posts: 1,046
    edited May 2022

There are others perks based on luck so that would be an indirect nerf. Also luck offerings. Still, not worth to bring them. It's all based on luck...

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    AbsolutGrndZer0 Member Posts: 1,368

As a Legion (Susie) main, I say absolutely not.

It's literally a 4% chance, 8% if they have slippery meat. It's a VERY BAD idea to try it unless you have no other choice. Also, honestly my policy as killer is that if they Kobe themselves off the hook and they aren't broken, that means it was a legit Kobe and not Deliverance, so my policy is that they get the hatch, even if I 3K the others.

Always respect the 4%, at least that's my policy.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

The chances of unhooking are 4%....

• BeanLag
    BeanLag Member Posts: 94

4% each attempt

You wouldnt believe how often it happens if you arent killer main, but in 1 out of 3 games there is usually one unhook. It is true that 99% of the unhooks are when is the last survivor and you just camp him until he unhooks, but if you manage to down 2 or more survivors, even 4, the unhook is an absolute unfair pain.

• BeanLag
    edited June 2022

Deleted*

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,372

It's like an 11% chance to unhook yourself with 3 attempts @ 4% each attempt.

4 survivors each game each with an 11% chance to unhook themselves and seeing it once every 3 games is about average.

I don't think the mechanic itself should be removed, but it and luck could likely use adjustments to be more modernized.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

To me the only odd thing about the 4% is you have a chance to pull yourself off the hook but you don’t have a similar chance to recover when you’re dying on the ground. I’m not exactly sure why one allows for a Hail Mary attempt to recover and the other doesn’t, it seems like they should either both allow it or both not allow it.

Beyond that, I’m ok in principle with perks that help survivors both pull themselves off hooks (e.g.Slippery Meat) and that help them revive themselves from being slugged (e.g. Unbreakable). Whether some of those specific perks are currently under- or over-powered is another topic, but broadly speaking I think it’s perfectly fine for survivors to be able to equip something in their loadouts that helps them get themselves back on their feet maybe once a match.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

It doesn’t make it unfair that a survivor 4% without any perks, that survivor took a chance and it paid off.

• BeanLag

Yeah of course its unfair, its 4% each attempt, 3 attempts. And you have 0 risk trying to unhook basically because when you try to unhook is when you are the last survivor alive, the rest of survivors are hooked or slugged, or if you want to suicide on hook

• nivomi
    nivomi Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2022

I don't think self-unhooking is "overpowered" or "unfair", as much as I think it's just a really weird, janky mechanic. It encourages survivors to waste their unhook meter, which effectively throws the game (not completely, obviously, but a little bit) for their teammates. When it does work, it throws the balance in the opposite direction.

I understand that it's meant to add a little bit of "dynamic-ness" to a match, but I feel like the high negative-player-experience cost of "three teammates having a teammate waste their first hook", and "killer feeling like their hook pressure vanished", is a bit too high for the price of "the game is a tiny bit more dynamic."

Removing it and reworking Slippery Meat and Deliverance to 're-activate' it would mean that the killer's lost pressure is traded for a perk slot, which mitigates that side of the equation. You'd still have to figure out how to mitigate the "chance of throwing the game for your team" concept for any chance-based Slippery Meat, though.

• ProfSinful
    ProfSinful Member Posts: 271

what a joke

• AbsolutGrndZer0

No, that's not how it works. You have a 4% chance each attempt. Your chances of succeeding do not increase just because you didn't succeed previously. It's like flip a coin. What are the odds it will come up heads? 50%. Now flip it again. What are the odds it will come up heads? 50%. Sure, it's not likely to come up heads 100 times in a row, but it could since every attempt is a 50% chance and previous flips do not factor into that.

I rarely see anyone try, and 9/10 times they end up just accelerating their hook state. If you get 3 successful attempts per game as average, then your games are not the average, they are an outlier.

• Crowman

It is how it works.

The chance that you succeed on at least one unhook attempt is 1-((1-success chance)^number of attempts).

1-(1-0.04)^3

1-(0.96)^3

1-0.885

0.115 or 11.5%

The chance isn't going up each attempt but when you make multiple attempts and only one success matters then your overall chance it works is higher.

Also for your heads example the chance you flip a coin twice and it lands on heads twice is 25%.

0.5 * 0.5 - 0.25

• AbsolutGrndZer0
    edited June 2022
  • Crowman

It's not Gambler's Fallacy at all. I'm not saying that because you had failed to unhook yourself twice that the next attempt is more likely to unhook yourself. I'm saying that if you make more attempts, the odds that AT LEAST ONE of those attempts works is higher.

The more you attempt something, the odds you succeed once is more likely. Flipping a coin once and getting heads is 50%. But if you flip the same coin twice, your odds that at least one of those flips are heads is now 75%. This is because the outcomes of two head tosses are:

HH

HT

TH

TT

And in 3/4 of those attempts you got at least one head.

An individual attempt to get yourself off the hook is 4%. However, you have up to 3 attempts to do so. If you try to last ditch effort yourself off the hook while you still have 3 attempts, you only need to succeed on at least one of those three attempts.

The chance that you fail all 3 attempts is 0.96 * 0.96 * 0.96 which is 88.5%. Therefore to not fail all 3 attempts the odds are 11.5%.

If you only attempt twice the odds are 0.96 * 0.96 which is 92.16% that you fail both attempts and 7.84% that you don't fail both attempts.

• AbsolutGrndZer0

Yea, but it's still only a 4% chance each time, and that's the point. It's only worth it if you are positive your friends aren't going to come to get you.

• Crowman

I never said it wasn't 4% each time. I was saying that someone attempting to unhook themselves 3 times has an overall 11% to succeed at doing so.

• HexDaddyissues
    HexDaddyissues Member Posts: 328

I played a match with my swf friends where each of us put in a vigos salty lips jar and NONE of us could get off the hook. 4 jars, no self unhooks.

4% is such a miniscule amount to have baseline. Killers complain about everything these days huh?