Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

What do the devs get right?

A lot of the posts/comments go like this:

The devs don't know how to play their own game.

The devs are Survivor sided.

The devs are Killer sided.

The devs don't know how to balance a map.

The devs don't know how to balance perks.

But for the game to be as broken as people claim, we'd all have to be masochists to keep playing (and hey, maybe you are. And if you are, take Ms. Perky's advice. "You might want to work on that"). But realistically, there's got to be stuff they're getting right. And what they're getting right is outweighing the bad, no? So what is it? What do you like most about DBD? What brings you back to this game? Or keeps you here?

(Ms. Perky 👇)

Comments

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,670

Other games have tried, and they just couldn't outdo DBD (yet). So there's something about DBD that is better. What do you like about it?

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081

Nerfing keys and moris (years too late).

Feels like they stumbled into success and are just barely hanging on

• AshInTheTallGrass

There has to be something you really like...

You played even pre-nerf keys and moris, right?

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

It's not uncommon for some people to overreact to things they don't like. Also, you can never forget, this here is a forum for feedback on the game. The people that are the most likely to visit such a forum are people that are very unhappy with the game, so they can complain about it. Forums aren't necessarily the best place to get balanced feedback on a game. But more feedback on what people see as problematic or bad with a game.

I voice a lot of criticism towards the game, sometimes I get fed up with it. And I do take my breaks from this game as well. But I also generally enjoy the game quite a bit, it does a lot right. It just also still has it's good amount of rough edges in my opinion. But at the moment BHVR is really improving, with all the balance changes we are getting lately. The upcoming anti-tunneling mechanic buff is a particular highlight.

I do always find it funny when I see a post that claims the devs only care for survivors, and then a post that claims devs only care about killers, on the same day, that's always particularly ridiculous.

• PigMainBigBrain
    PigMainBigBrain Member Posts: 1,893

The art team, and the sound guys, and the lore guys.

Literally carrying this game on their backs.

Everybody else...pfff, I couldn't tell ya....

• Omans
    Omans Member Posts: 1,081

Sound (when there are no footstep bugs)

Art

Map graphics (not design)

Gameplay, though? They don’t know which direction to take the game and it has been obvious for a while now.

• AshInTheTallGrass

It's interesting that you said ". . . this here is a forum for feedback on the game. The people that are the most likely to visit such a forum are people that are very unhappy with the game, so they can complain about it."

I come here for a different reason. We all like the same game, and it's a way to talk about our game. Sometimes, I read really funny comments. Sometimes, I read things that make me think, "Hmmm, that person's got a really good point." I don't really complain too much either. I mostly just come by to hear the latest and chitchat about the game.

(I wish you could hear my tone. I'm not being sarcastic or combative. I'm just observing that we have totally different motives. But often, we believe that others share our motives, and we don't realize that our motives are, well, just ours.)

I'm glad you take breaks when you need to. Not enough people do that--and then they blame everyone else for their misery. I always think of this guy when I see the people who refuse to take a break: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqZs8tQq8U

And agreed 100% on your last paragraph

• AshInTheTallGrass

Speaking of sound, the way Survivors' footsteps sound on "Eyrie of Crows" is one of my favorites. Such a great detail.

• Sadako_Best_Girl
    Sadako_Best_Girl Member Posts: 662
    edited August 2022

If anything the recent patches prove the devs are upping their game, even if they still make dumb mistakes. Remember when we got a patch were the only significant change was removing bubba's alternative head cosmetics just about one year ago? Or how absolutely horrid Nemesis' and Twins' updates where? Now the devs are picking up pretty quickly on the complaints in the community, the latest dev update at least does an attempt at understanding the key issues the community had.

Comparing what we had a while back with the most recent patches the game is definetely heading in the right direction.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,426

I'm excited for the decreased bloodweb costs

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,096

It's hard to say because they're hit or miss. They could have made Wesker bump into things less without making his special attack hitbox smaller, and you could do the same to Twins and to Huntress, but they didn't.

I guess something they get right is allowing some killers' add-ons to stay strong because of their rarity. "Nerf Pinky Finger! Nerf Alchemist's Ring! Nerf Adrenaline Vial!" Why? Aren't higher rarity add-ons supposed to be strong? Or are we using the same mentality for them as we use on killers in general, that they should never be strong?

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,860

My list for what they got right:

• Endgame Collapse
    • Mori & Key Nerfs
    • DH Nerf
    • Extending Gen Time
    • Gen kick regression Buff
    • Licensed DLC (great selection)
    • Nerfing Spirit
    • Graphical & Animation Update (Realm Beyond?)
    • Bloodpoint Cost Reduction (coming soon- next week?)
    • Bloodweb Grind Reduction
    • Level & Bloodpoint 2x/1.5x Events
    • Seasonal Events
    • Cosmetics & Charms (knocks this out the park- except converting ones made by the community…it’s like the interns get to do those what the hell)
    • Frequency of Chapter Releases/Updates (other developers could learn from BHVR’s time management- kudos)
    • The Rift/Tomes
    • Crossplay (this was huge- BHVR had the foresight to jump on this early while most devs were lagging behind)
    • Communication (they still have hiccups from time to time [especially with controversy like hackers/cheaters], but for the most part they keep us in the know- especially with what they’re working on/future plans are)

Btw good thread. About time someone initiated one for the community to give them their flowers. I hope this thread gets highlighted and the feedback in here is shared with the staff.

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

Demogorgon

They got Demogorgon right

• caramelpudding
    caramelpudding Member Posts: 118

The game itself is lots of fun, it's the sweaty tryhards ruining it. The devs are doing a very good job.

• Metronix
    Metronix Member Posts: 226

You mean a "pretty good job", right? Jokes aside, it is a reletivly well designed game. Clear objective, side objectives (oh I know some people would clech their teeth reeding this), a nice atmosphere, a lot uff stuff, meaning different characters with the opportunity to individulise yourself in the game and my personal favourit, they keep it running. New stuff, tome challanges, rifts, the events. This is a game were I would state it is getting it's fair share of love (as far as love is possible in this economy).

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,845
    edited August 2022

I'd say they got most of the community outfits right with the sole exception being claudette's free style outfit.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Sound and art design is amazing and always delivering. The gameplay in general is unique despite attempts of replication those always have major flaws while not even being better on the fronts that DbD is lacking (matchmaking and balance between low and high skill). Having great original killers and plenty of great licensed content on a high quality level all working well together. Killers making the match unique enough while maintaining a consistent game overall.

and this might be something many don’t agree with but community communication is with some exceptions pretty well done. They inform us about upcoming and recent changes/problems, incorporate plenty of feedback.. (though of course the community isn’t one entity and you will never please everyone here)

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,169

They've done a lot right and, whilst some decisions have been questionable, for the game to have done as well as it has with licences, publicity and balance in a constantly fluctuating and altering game it shows a lot of dedication has been put into this.

• KerJuice
    KerJuice Member Posts: 1,860

Although a decent attempt, they messed up Legion’s “Never stop slashing,” as well: the backpack & the mask.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

„Messed up“ is a little bit too harsh when it’s still one of their best cosmetics for legion..

• Smoe
    edited August 2022

Apart from the lack of mask expression, i'm gonna have to disagree with you on the backpack, them rearranging the way the tools is displayed in the backpack hardly makes it a mess up, and even if it is, it's so inconsequential that it doesn't ruin the outfit.

Had tools been missing from the backpack in the game, then it would have been more of an actual mess up.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

They did a lot of good things

The sad truth is that it's not really the devs but the mayority of the community that is clueless about the game

• AshInTheTallGrass

Thanks for thoroughly answering and for what you said in that last parapgraph. I appreciate it.

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 334

For me, I am a killer main. I keep playing because I have fun doing it win or lose. I honestly feel the devs are on the right track. I have liked the majority of the changes in the last year. Some I may not agree with, but I still enjoy playing.

I'm hopeful for the future. I do feel they lean toward the survivor side somewhat. However, that makes business sense. You cater to your majority in business. Survivors outnumber killers 4 to 1. They spend more money and bring in friends who do as well. If they feel the game is more laid back and they have a good chance of winning they stay.

I honestly wish people would realize it's a game. Some you win, some you lose. Just do what you can. Who cares in the end really? Just win and lose with dignity.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,221
    edited August 2022

The gameplay on both sides is very deep relative to what other games in the genre have attempted. Killers have various powers/mechanics to learn, and survivors have to learn pathing and positioning. You can always get better.

Compare that to a game like VHS. There's barely any mechanical ceiling on Monster. If you have 500 hours in DbD, it will take you a couple hours to be at the mechanical skill cap for Monster in VHS. Doesn't mean you'll be good. Just means you'll have a mastery of the super basic leaps/pounces that game has. It's insanely boring gameplay.

I'd also add that DbD shines when matchmaking is good. Games are intense when 4 good survivors are on equal footing with a good killer.

• AshInTheTallGrass

That last paragraph was a great point. I agree with you wholeheartedly. You sound like the type of person who would be good to play with/against.

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

They're right to not mess with the bones of the game.

• AshInTheTallGrass
    edited August 2022

The games where you never really know how it's going to end are some of my favorites. I recently had a game like that, and even though three of us escaped, it was by our teeth lol

This guy was really, really good. I lucked out with having smart solo teammates or he would've decimated us. We were all matched well enough that everyone was on their game and it was really tense. I haven't had a game like that in years. It was a lot of fun in the end. I have a lot of respect for that Killer and how well he played, too.

Post edited by AshInTheTallGrass on
  • SuzuKR
    SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910

Making this game fun to spend time on

Being able to play with friends

A lot of builds to try out

Nurse/Blight basekit

Cool cosmetics/music

Cool event rewards

Replayability

A lot of characters to pick from

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024

Devs are good at choosing licenses i will give them that

• AshInTheTallGrass

I'll say. I'm still waiting on The Mummy and Alien, but Alien, I think, is probably in the works. If anyone would get it, it's BHVR. And I can't wait to see what the map would be like on that, or how you would escape.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,221

That's awesome. I love games like that. Had a similar one against a super sweaty Spirit and some really solo good teammates. I think there was at least 15k hrs in that lobby between all of us. Killer ended up with 10 hooks and a 2k. It was intense.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I like the difference in Killer Powers...

7 different range types of Killers: Clown, Huntress, Trickster, Deathslinger, Pinhead, Pyramid Head and Plague

5-6 different Stealth Killers: Wraith, Mickey, Pig, Ghostface, Sadako and Freddie (Maybe, maybe not)

3 different Instant down type of Killers: Hillbilly, Bubba and Oni

Then Killers like: Doctor, Legion, Nurse, Nemesis... ETC

• AshInTheTallGrass

Good point. I agree. If I had to face the same Killer power, over and over again, I'd have been done with this game a long time ago. The variety keeps it interesting.

• Smoe
    edited August 2022

They're doing the one thing no other official game has managed or sought to do for so many years, they're successfully bringing as many horror icon together within the same game, The very concept alone is a horror fan's dream come true and is an achievement by itself, one that can never be taken away from bhvr.

They've either given many characters from horror franchises their very first video game multiplayer adaptation or their first ever video game debut altogether, and there are still so many more icons out there who has yet to have that.

Granted we're still very far from having every major influencial horror movie franchise in the game, but we're getting there slowly but surely.

-

Another accomplishment dbd has done is being a key player in pushing the asymmetrical survival subgenre forward to become more mainstream than prior, i would go as far and say that DBD is to the asymmetrical survival subgenre what Ringu was to J-horror over in Japan.

Post edited by Smoe on
  • brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,792

This 100%. Bhvr has some incredibly talented people on sound and visual design.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291
    edited August 2022

I'd agree with most of BHVR's decisions - It's just two issues being it takes them forever to make good changes and occasionally when they make a bad change it is a REALLY bad change. Most recent example of this is Thana which doesn't actually solve the issue people had with the perk and still keeps it annoying on the killers players had issue with.

However given no one seems to be using it anymore I don't mind - It's honestly a buzz kill perk when it's good and useless otherwise which I'd prefer it just being weak.

• ThePrizz
    ThePrizz Member Posts: 111

What bugs me the most about them is that sometimes they do things really well and sometimes it feels like they have little to no imagination.

The mid-chapter update was amazing, I see a lot of diversity when it comes to the perks people play which is also pretty nice.

But when you look at the latest 7 killers ( Wesker included ), only Pinhead and Dredge feel unique and polished.

The last 3 maps are also pretty bad. Garden of Joy is sort of meh, but Forsaken Boneyard and RPD are horrible.

They usually don't fix things that are outdated and that everyone pretty much agrees that they suck, like certain addons and older Killers.

It takes waaaay too long for them to come up with impactful updates that improve the quality of life. Look at Dota 2 for example, those guys change up their game constantly, and it's so enjoyable and thrilling, yeah maybe they slip here and there making something a bit overpowered but they fix them pretty fast.

I'm personally only complaining because the game could be 100 times better, it's still enjoyable in it's current state, but there's so so much room for improvement.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

The problem always has been:

The devs are money sided.

BHVR cares more about steady income with their chapter releases every 3 months. They don't really care about anything else really and it shows. They're doing the absolute bare minimum to keep DbD alive and the money rolling in. Money that they appear not to reinvest.

If DbD was actually a good game and not just an addictive one and the Devs were passionate about making the game better there would be 100k people playing the game average all the time. If they reinvested in DbD to fix some of its most glaring issues they would easily see a great return on that investment, and it would add a lot more longevity to the game. Player retention wouldn't be an issue.

DbD should easily be a massive juggernaut peaking at 250k players with the Wesker release.

• AshInTheTallGrass

I think the devs are often caught between a rock and a hard place. So many players are convinced that their ideas are correct, but they often conflict with other players. It's got to be tough to be players themselves (so have their own bias), and then listen to fog whisperers (who have their own bias), and then get feedback from here, Youtube, Twitter, etc. (who have our own bias), and then get totally conflicting information.

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,522

The developers usually get things right when they design them for the first time.

-When they designed Billy for the first time, they got him right.

-When they designed Freddy for the first time, they got him right.

-When they designed the map's visuals for the first time, they got them right.

-When they designed Huntress for the first time, they got her right.

Of course, this is not ALWAYS the case, but countless things which are bad and boring right now were better on their original version.

• AshInTheTallGrass

I'm curious. How long have you been playing DBD? And do you main a certain role?

• GeneralV
    GeneralV Member Posts: 10,522

Started playing DBD in December of 2018, shortly after Legion's release. And I left the game when I couldn't stand it anymore.

Always played both sides.

Why do you ask?

• AshInTheTallGrass

Because you mentioned old Freddy. I've noticed a change in perspective about him over the years.

Back in the day, I heard Survivors talking about how much better OG Freddy was, but Killers saying he was trash and needed a rework. Then a couple of years later, I heard a lot of Killers switch and say pre-rework Freddy was better. And then you said you preferred old Freddy, so I was wondering what roles you played. I always like hearing perspectives from people who have played for a long time. They've seen a lot of changes in DBD. Freddy got reworked shortly before I started, so I never got to go against OG Freddy, unfortunately.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

They sure can make the hell out of some Feng Min cosmetics.

But seriously, they do most things right, I think, even if they seem stupidly obstinate about many things.