BHVR, what reason is there to still keep Killer FOV locked to 87°?

SuzuKR
SuzuKR Member Posts: 3,910
edited August 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

Shadowborn should be incorporated into the in-game settings as a FOV slider for killer for 87°-103° (+15°, the amount Shadowborn gives), and Shadowborn/Monitor & Abuse's FOV increase effects should be reworked. This would help people who get migraines from low FOV and are forced to use Shadowborn to play the game normally. The slider rather than a flat increase would also help those who dislike higher FOVs/get headaches from higher FOVs/etc.

I know that in the past, the reasons cited for not doing so was that DBD is balanced around this limited killer FOV. But when it comes to it, there really is not much I can think of that would actually be lost.

1. "FOV Techs": For instance, hiding beside a killer to "vanish" after a vault.
    1. This already does not work if the killer has common sense. If the killer just saw the survivor and then the survivor vanished with no traces of them going anywhere else, there's nowhere else the survivor could realistically be, other than right beside the killer/below their screen. So the first place to check and swing would be below/behind them.
  2. A wider FOV for seeing during walking across the map.
    1. This is something that good killers will already be doing naturally by sweeping their camera manually anyways from side to side across the map. This is in order to not miss survivors moving past on their peripheral vision. By sweeping like this, they would see way more on each side than Shadowborn and not sweeping would show anyways.
  3. Wider FOV for fatigue/stuns/etc.
    1. Most fatigue/stuns force looking downwards anyways. Furthermore, for those that don't (eg, Wesker), the fatigue/stun/etc would only be relevant for people on the peripheral, except since they're in chase, the survivor would be mostly in front anyways.

Comments

• ThatOneDemoPlayer
    ThatOneDemoPlayer Member Posts: 5,623

"Mah stealth !!!1!!"

• Bot_Salvo88
    Bot_Salvo88 Member Posts: 1,230

I don't think that the killer will have an unfair advantage if he has more FOV. I don't even know why this option is locked behind a perk. FOV should be an option to select in the settings, from 85 to 105 or even 110. You're in first person, you're not gaining an unfair advantage at all, just a quality of life update.

• SuzuKR

If I'm missing some sort of balance problem that would happen from this, I would love to learn what it is, BHVR. I genuinely cannot think of an actually meaningful issue. Everything I can think of is already addressed above.

Regardless, even if this does make for a balance problem, would it not be better to balance around this capability instead of forcing certain people to use a perk to not get a migraine?

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386

honestly no because i really want the fov tech to stay alive

• SuzuKR

It literally does not work even on native FOV if the killer has any common sense.

"Wow, this survivor just suddenly vanished, where could they possibly be?"

Literally the very first place to check is behind/below themselves.

• kizuati
    kizuati Member Posts: 1,386
  • SuzuKR

There is only so many places a survivor can go. If you don’t see them immediately around, one of your first few steps should be checking behind/below.

• SuzuKR

An official response would be really nice, as I genuinely can’t see a good reason that still applies.

• Peppa_Pigsaw
    Peppa_Pigsaw Member Posts: 184

I personally don't mesh well with a few killers without Shadowborn. Billy, Nurse, Blight, and Oni are the worst ones for me. I don't know what causes it or why, but I get really bad headaches or nausea when I play them without it. I've wanted an FOV slider for literal years now but everytime you bring it up you always get shot down by people saying you just want an advantage.

(But they also don't realize that having a higher FOV makes it easier to blind you because there's a wider blind angle, ironic how nobody brings that up)

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Because the game is limited on certain things... Due to coding (not much of a reason but still)

• Crypticghoul
    Crypticghoul Member Posts: 572

Agreed, Shadowborn should be a setting instead of a perk.

I'd like someone from Behaviour to actually tell me how increasing your fov slightly is supposed to compete with using something like gen slowdown or STBFL in that perk slot instead.

• SuzuKR

TFW some people just have to accept they will never get a fourth perk slot unless they want migraines

• SuzuKR

Exactly, it also holds back some people from being able to try parts of the game.