Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

PC vs CONSOLE: What's it like?

If you've played DBD on console and PC, what were the biggest differences you noticed? Were the differences significant? Insignificant?

(If you've played on PC with a controller, you're welcome to share, too.)

Comments

• AshInTheTallGrass
    AshInTheTallGrass Member Posts: 1,670

Yep! That's me lol And unless I've seriously missed something major, there's no way to change it. I keep seeing posts about how all console players need to do is change their input, but vaulting a window/throwing a pallet/healing/doing gens is the same action, so changing the input makes no difference. I tried.

• Biscuits
    Biscuits Member Posts: 1,097

I would imagine that console players also struggle to keep an eye on the killer when they are trying to loop?

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733
    edited August 2022

To clairfy, thats a controller issue more than platform. Happens on PC as well when using one, which is annoying since i prefer controller for survivor specifically. Even called it out regarding pinheads chains ages ago and got ignored.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

I literally had to come up with the most dysfunctional controller layout to get around this situation. Sometimes someone would drop their item at a vault and I'd get screwed out of the fast vault.

• DoritoHead
    DoritoHead Member Posts: 3,546

PC makes a lot of killers easier and I’m not playing a PowerPoint presentation which is nice.

• AshInTheTallGrass

I'm going to mess around with my settings some more and see if I can do that. Do you happen to know if a while ago they maybe updated it (added more controls?).

• AshInTheTallGrass

Oh definitely. Blight, for one, has entire threads dedicated to the difference.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,157

This.

Vault/pallet/locker are "action" button while repair, heal, chains, and cleanse are "interaction." They're set as default which is what causes the confusion but you can definitely change them for controller, I'm also on PS4 and I changed them awhile ago after getting annoyed with the pallet/heal issue.

The devs should not only make them not the same button default but also add a like pop a pop up that lists what is action or interaction. So many think they're same button and can't be changed because of the default setting and lack of information.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to answer, to be honest. We can turn our cameras to look, but is it easier/smoother to do that on PC? I honestly don't know.

• bm33

I changed my controls back in 2019 when I realized I could, it's been like this for awhile.

• awustzdn
    awustzdn Member Posts: 317
    edited August 2022

I started on the PS4 back when it was free on PS+. My god what a nightmare, with framerates so low that survivors would vanish mid-chase from leaving LOS for a split second. It was literally easier to chase by staring at the floor and following the scratch marks, and the reduced visual clutter improved the framerate. Lery's was unplayable for a while because the PS4 would run at about 10 FPS on that map.

The abysmally low max sensitivity also made 360s a lot more effective. Against a survivor that did 360s, you had to predict they'd do it (thanks, low framerate), full hard turn on the stick, lunge, and hope that the autoaim did the rest, which to its credit it usually did.

TV screens also tend to pick up more glare, which made playing killer in the daytime a painful experience.

On PC, you're not restricted by extremely low sensitivity limits, limited button mapping, PC monitors are easier to keep away from glare, and you can apply nVidia filters to help yourself see to boot. The biggest and most impactful difference is the performance. A good PC runs the game at a very stable high framerate, even with how horribly optimized the game has been since its inception.

Also, most killers just plain play better on PC. Even something as simple as chasing around a loop is improved by the increased control precision, able to pull sharper turns and precise corners, which EVERY killer in the game benefits from, not simply ranged killers.

The game is just BETTER on PC in every quantifiable way, which is why I abandoned the PS4 version when it became obvious cross-progression was never going to happen and the game barely runs on it as it is.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Welp, that was an absolute disaster lol

My muscle memory was way off and I made things worse lol I'm going to have to try some new adjustments.

• MommyHunktress
    MommyHunktress Member Posts: 634

smooth as hell, hard as hell to do survivor on mouse. yeah faster spins and smoother, but controller is way easier and tbh spins arent hard to deal with 360 should mainly be a last resort not a playstyle. and finer aim for huntress and way easier to hit people with mouse and keyuboard as killer

• AshInTheTallGrass

Thanks for the detailed answer! I wish I could play on PC to see, but I have so much invested (items, cosmetics, progress, etc.) on PS that starting over on PC is just not worth it. I wish cross-progression were a thing, but it'll likely never happen.

• bm33
    edited August 2022

It took me a few days to get used to the button layout I chose, definitely alot of mishaps and getting myself killed with the change. I changed drop item to square and actions to circle because it just feels better hitting circle on ps4 controller when I need to vault/drop pallet. Also figured 3 things v like a dozen would be easier to relearn button. 😂

Edit to add: killer side it's all 1 button so it's kinda annoying that vaulting as killer and kicking gen or picking someone up is all the same button now that I have separate ones for survivor.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

No real difference, but aim dressing sucks, Trickster is nearly impossible to use, Boil Over hurts us more, we get spun, yadda yadda.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,220
    edited August 2022

I have the game on PC and PS5. About 4k hrs on PC. Only played the PS5 version for about 10 hrs before I uninstalled.

The lack of options on console is really annoying. The game is too dark. It's a pvp game to me, so it's not acceptable to have limited vision for no reason. I can turn up the brightness on my PC monitor and run the game on low settings to see just fine.

Not a huge difference on survivor between PC and console. Console version had some annoying input lag. Had to disable HDR on my TV and console to hit skill checks. I play survivor with a controller on both platforms unless it's a Nurse.

Killer on an analog stick is painful. There's no precision with an analog stick at higher sensitivity. So you choose between a killer that turns like a semi-truck or one that spins like a top.

I'd honestly keep it installed if cross progression was a thing. I'd just only play survivor. But I'm not about to re-grind everything.

Post edited by edgarpoop on
  • Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494

You can change the buttons but I have not done that because I want fix gens and drop pallets from RB. So I will keep dropping pallets or heal or vault when I should not until they add more settings.

• AshInTheTallGrass

lol It's definitely going to take a bit of trial and error to figure out something workable. I tried changing my inputs again and then realized I created a new problem for myself when I couldn't turn my camera while working on a gen 😂

Bad quality, but this was me while quickly trying to update my settings, again, mid-game. "If I change my THIS, then I have to change my THAT. If I change my THAT, then I have to change my THIS." lol

Also, this was me to my teammates when I messed up 😂😂😂 I'm not joking. I said, "I'm so sorry!!" like this more than once 😂

• LeFennecFox
    LeFennecFox Member Posts: 1,233

For survivor the only real difference is misinputs occasionally when trying to drop pallets/vaults and it's easier to be precise as killer on KB&M

• AshInTheTallGrass

Did you notice any difference in responsiveness for Survivor movements? (ex: quickly trying to change direction, 360ing, going around tight corners, etc.)

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

There are certain Killers who are nearly unplayable on Console.

So I'd imagine that's a large difference.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Yep. Blights, especially, have had some detailed threads outlining the glaring differences.

(And hello again. We exchanged some comments earlier today 👋)

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Greetings once more.

I would say the worst offender is Trickster personally. He's almost completely unplayable on Console.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

IMO, the only really clear difference is that killers who relay on aiming and flicking are miles easier to use on PC (I find certain killers to be almost unusable on console), and you have greater control of your input options on PC. Other than that, not much to choose from between the two.

I generally find survivor play to be pretty much the same on either (I use a controller for surv on PC, too).

• AshInTheTallGrass

Yep, Trickster, Nurse, Billy, and Blight definitely have a bad rep on console.

I gotta ask, how did you get your name? I'm not sure if it's a totem thing or a . . . NSFW thing lol

• whammigobambam
    whammigobambam Member Posts: 1,201

Load times.

• Thusly_Boned

For me, Blight, Billy, and Oni were killers I quickly abandoned on console.

The name is a Futurama reference, to an episode called Godfellas.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Oh okay! 😁 Thanks!

And you're right! Oni is also very hard to use.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,750

For the killer role Trickster is an unholy abomination on console, for a multitude of reasons, and there are threads around which dive into why. The other ranged killers are somewhere in between too painful and unplayable. Nurse is significantly harder to become competent with, as is Blight. Strafing is not really going to happen, no filters or sound cards possible, and flicks are an endangered species too.

Playing surv is not too much different because most use a controller anyway, but the camera doesn't swing as smoothly, the frames will hurt skillchecks & vaulting, and you can run much tighter loops on PC. Plus as others have mentioned the button layout is rough.

• AshInTheTallGrass

I definitely can attest to those Survivor issues. Just from watching PC streamers, it seems that running tight loops is easier for them (and I've had the frame rate issue with skill checks, too). But since I've never played on PC, I wasn't sure.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,750

I do wish our PC cousins would borrow a friend's PS4 or whatever and play a couple rounds of killer, and relate their experiences here. I'd wager it would be quite the eye-opener.

Hopefully the empathy gained would soften the us/them arguments some, so we'd be told less often "JuSt giT a Pc" and the like.

Maybe even help explain why many consolers bring up optimization and frames and Cross Progression and controls so often.

• bm33

Just changing one button was rough enough, I can't imagine changing more. 😂

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,220
    edited August 2022

PS5 was a bit snappier than my cheap aftermarket 360 controller I use on my PC. I got that because it has turbo function and we used to have to mash buttons in struggle state. But mouse and keyboard is always going to win in regards to movement. There are some killers where mouse and keyboard is going to let you perform better (projectiles and Nurse mainly). I can't quickly moonwalk and snap back forward to fake a double back against Nurse on controller. Doesn't make a huge difference against M1 killers.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,420

For me, the healing under the pallet shows up as 'heal' but when I press the button it throws the pallet. After one too many survivors furiously clicking their flashlight at the downed pallet after I've healed them, I now wave them towards me, out of the pallets range. Most seem to understand why lol

• AshInTheTallGrass

Thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it 👍👍

• AshInTheTallGrass

lol I feel your pain. You can change the settings so that doesn't happen anymore. I've been experimenting with mine today.

• feechima
    feechima Member Posts: 903

I started playing on PC but most of my friends are on console. I play controller on both. I have small hands and short fingers so kb&m has not come easy for me. I'm so used to console (xbox) I don't notice the frame difference anymore. Controller with survivor is fine and not much difference at all. Controller on certain killers like Huntress and Nurse is difficult and takes more time to master.

Also, I remapped my keys so not all actions are with the same button after The Twins came out. Surprisingly, I found that I could not throw a pallet with Victor on my back as getting him off and throwing pallets was the same button. Now, I don't accidentally throw pallets when trying to heal. I also reworked my skillcheck button to 'up' on the directional pad. I have not seen anyone else do that yet.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135
    edited August 2022

Night & day difference. Not only is mouse & keyboard way better for multiple reasons, but you also get access to filters to improve the graphics. PC is far and away the best platform and it’s not even close tbh.

Oh, and you also get access to mods to change your perk icons and stuff, if customization is your thing!

• AshInTheTallGrass

That and, if BHVR ever does implement a search bar (for the perks), PC will be able to quickly locate them.

• Thusly_Boned

I actually disagree with this, the reason I use a controller for surv on PC is that I like if better for hugging loops than the keyboard. With killer (and in shooter games) you often benefit from strafing and other quick lateral movements, but that's not as necessary with survivor. I think in most cases the analog of a stick is smoother than WASD movement. While you lose some of the quickness of lateral movement, you gain smoother control of everything between the four primary directions. There are god tier survs out there playing on console, not so much with killer.

Of course that's given it's a good controller with all the settings just they way you want them.

I often times can identify PC players right off because their movement has a certain...choppiness to it. Though in the end, I think it just comes down to what you have used the most, and your comfort level (muscle memory) with it.

And to be honest, while on PC I use the mouse per the typical arrangement, but rather than use the keyboard for movement, I have a Razer gamepad on which I mapped WASD to the thumbstick. That's in part because I've never really liked WASD, granted.

But in the end, all of that is really just a further endorsement of the PC generally, because there are so many setup options that simply aren't available on console, on top of all the other things you can tweak. If we ever get cross progression, I'll almost certainly go almost exclusively to PC.

• JHondo
    JHondo Member Posts: 1,174

I play on PC with a controller and have it hooked up to my TV in the living room. I've tried M+KB and yeah it's nice to have the better button mapping and a snappier camera control it's really no different to me.

As far as visuals or performance all I know is the Switch is rough af.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Interesting! Perhaps our differences are due to the quality of the equipment being used, muscle memory, or some other unknown variable. I see PC streamers moving (and doing big wide sweeping turns (it's hard to describe, but JRM is really good at them)) in ways that seem beneficial, that I can't mimic.

• AshInTheTallGrass

Oh yeah! I've never played with Switch, but I've heard they have it the worst!

• Thusly_Boned

I think in the case of players like JRM and others like them (players with 8K+ hours in game), it's more of the operator than the equipment. Comfortability with a tool is the most important thing.

That said, Switch might be too much (or too little) for anyone to work with, lol

• AshInTheTallGrass

I'm laughing and I feel guilty about it lol Those poor Switch players . . .

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360
    edited August 2022

PC is much darker than on console. You can't see anything in a lot of the maps without switching filters on

Quite often on a modest PC the frame rate drops so you can easily miss skill checks. Frame rate is constant on console.

On PC you can adjust your dead zones to make the controller more responsive

• Hail_to_the_King
    Hail_to_the_King Member Posts: 183

I'm a PS5 and PC player, I prefer playing on my ps5 since I love controller (mouse and keyboard hurts my wrists after a while) and I have more progress on console BUT my honest opinion, the difference from console to pc for me is that playing Killer naturally feels easier to play on pc but the difference gets more and more miniscule the more you get used to a controller to where the difference is almost nonexistent. I'm a killer main, I play every killer, including Blight, Nurse, Oni, and Billy all just fine on controller. It just took me a bit more time and practice on controller than it did on pc. It comes down to what the player prefers/is used to using. Playing as survivor makes no difference for me but feels more natural on controller, especially after binding my buttons away from R1 for everything. This community drastically exaggerates the differences between console to pc. There's almost a stigma against console from some pc players I have ran into. But I am specifically talking PS5 to PC, so next gen console vs high-end pc, the frames are great on PS5 with no hiccups whatsoever for me. The PS4 definitely had some issues when I played there and everyone blames last-gen console power when the truth strictly lies in poor optimistization. I feel almost no difference with PS5 vs PC though with my game knowledge and experience (over 3k hours).