Another Nerf to Self Care?

Krazzik
Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475
edited September 2022 in General Discussions

Self Care is apparently still the number 1 most used survivor perk in the game even after it's recent nerf. I smell another nerf on the horizon.

Comments

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251

they could make it, you have to gain tokens for healing other before you can use selfcare

• Krazzik
    edited September 2022

Agreed, though what's frightening is as killer I frequently find good loopers, like really good loopers who run self-care. It's not only being used by newbies but often by people with thousands of hours in the game.

And yes they still use it without Botany and against Sloppy.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,713

I have a feeling Peanits maybe ran the numbers just over the last week or something and Self Care is inflated because there’s a challenge for it. On the site I follow it only has 9% usage which is still popular but not the top perk (and note that other things in the summary do line up much more closely, Self Care is kind of an outlier.)

• Krazzik

True, that awful challenge likely skewed the numbers quite a bit. Why they made that challenge in the first place I don't know :p

• Bot_Salvo88
    Bot_Salvo88 Member Posts: 1,230

New nerf. Self-care will heal you at 5% of the normal speed and will down you once you complete the heal.

• Nathan13
    Nathan13 Member Posts: 6,702

if SC gets nerfed again they may as well delete it from the game, same goes to COH.

• Marigoria
    Marigoria Member Posts: 6,090

Once you finish "healing" for 60 seconds it removes a health state.

• Norhc
    Norhc Member Posts: 575

Casual players will never take Self Care off. That's not a good reason to nerf it.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,392

I doubt it. Seems to be they don't mind that SC is the most used perk, just that the goal of making it used less often was accomplished. Also based on the post SC is being carried by some region that really loves the perk and not because it's generically being used a lot.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209

It's where it needs to be. At this point, the people willingly shooting themselves in the foot to use it are either A) Building around this perk specifically to get value, and using it appropriately, or B) An absolute trash panda and they're simply never going to take it off.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Just because a perk is popular doesn't mean it should be nerfed. Perks exist to be used.

• lauraa
    lauraa Member Posts: 3,195

Goes to show ya that you can't always follow the hivemind of Dbd forums/reddit/twitch/youtube/otz/lauraa and just parrot what those people say.

People will unequip Self Care when Hell freezes over. So BHVR can make the perk as garbage as they want it to be, because people will use it regardless.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

The perk is already garbage, so how much worse could they possibly make it?

Also that Self Care challenge might've messed with the stats considering a lot of people are bringing it to finish that tome challenge.

• AndyKuky
    AndyKuky Member Posts: 84

Even posting the stats is pointless. Tome challenges and survivors DC'ing/giving up on hook make perk numbers and kill rates completely unreliable. The 8% boost in kill rates actually seems way low based on how many survivors I see rage quitting or throwing. I figured it would be in the 70's.

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995
  • AndyKuky
    AndyKuky Member Posts: 84

I'm sure DC's arent counted, but how would they know to throw out giving up on the hook or someone just dying on hook? And what about how those affect the rest of the game? Dwight wastes shack pallet and DC's, ok his death isn't counted. What about the other three of us who have to deal with Pinhead in a 3v1? Do ours count?

• Spirit_IsTheBest
    Spirit_IsTheBest Member Posts: 957
    edited September 2022

'' We realized that the recent changes to the 40 perks have shaken up the meta, but our goal wasn't to make Self-Care more used, yet to make it less useful and more terrible than it was, to make things for the better, we decided to decrease the speed of Self-Care from 35% to 5%. This change will make the perk SUPER strong still, the values will be even lower on purpose, but it's a free heal without a med kit so it's still good. We hope this change will remove this perk from the meta. ''

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167

At this point they should let us see the other Survivor perks so we can lobby dodge people using Self-Care.

• Krazzik

To be fair even if they nerfed Self-care down to 5% a large amount of people would still run it :p

And you'd still have people chiming in with "But it's so flexible and underrated"

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800

problem is with new players, they'll look wt claudette's perks and be like OH MY GOD I CAN HEAL MYSELF AT WILL!!!!! and they'll use it without knowing how horrible it and they just might stick with it from that point.

that's why the perk should do something else entirely (pls devs just rework it and give it another purpose please :(

• Pukenplag
    Pukenplag Member Posts: 1,454

Imo, they should make it so after you use self care, you are incapacitated for 45 seconds. This way, using self care will take you one whole gen.

Will that stop Claudettes from using it? No. That's why it would have to be reduced to 10% healing speed.

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 9,120

Self-Care should never be less than 50% healing speed. As you can see, despite how horrible it is, it still gets used. All these noobs look at is "you can heal yourself infinitely, without a medkit" and that's exactly what they do, because they think that will help them survive. It teaches them bad habits, because they never push gens while injured or anything, even though you have to do that sometimes to keep up pressure. No, even against Legion or infinite Tier 3 Myers, they just say, "I HAVE to be healed before I do anything else." That's why they use it, NOT because it's a busted perk.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,176

TBF, thats actually what they are doing: without a medkit healing infinitely. And if they didn't die, they are still self-healing today. The End.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

It just always takes a flat 2 minutes, no buffs included to make it better, lol

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

No, a game where anyone DC's, that entire game is null and void for stats

• danielmaster87

Probably because they Left Behind/key hatch escape all the time, because they're killing their team's momentum, and therefore killing their team, by playing like that.

• foxsansbox
    foxsansbox Member Posts: 2,209
    edited September 2022

The exception that proves the rule.

You poor thing, but I do not pity you.

• Akumakaji

Luckily enough I have only a single hatch escape challenge left in all my tomes. It the "escape the hatch 1 time while using a map", which is oddly specific, but maps arent exactly high on my item list, so I can waste a couple of those.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

The only good nerf to self care is deletion of it.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

I'm still confused on why self care got a nerf in the first place, the med kit efficiency was a tad bit too strong but the speed was not an issue. The only reason that I can think of is that it was picked too much and it would be too strong when paired with reactive healing.

• MDRSan
    MDRSan Member Posts: 298

I still don’t understand why so many consider Self Care to be a trash perk. I get that it’s not as strong as it used to be, but how is the ability to heal yourself without worrying if you have enough tokens, charges, have met some series of conditions and can hop in a locker, etc. a ‘bad’ thing?

With CoH you have to find a totem, and restrict yourself to a set area that may not be safe or close by to heal. How long did it take to find the totem? How long to bless it? How long did each survivor spend running there so they could heal throughout the match? Were you even able to find a totem or are your teammates on a cleansing spree? Does the killer already know where it is? Plus side, the heal is faster and can be used by all survivors for as long as it and the player that blessed it are up. A CoH heal is useful, but isn’t as fast as the heal time alone would suggest and has situational drawbacks.

Inner Healing can only be used once after cleansing a totem, limiting you to a max of 5 uses across the team and that’s if all 5 totems are found and the person who is injured happens to be one that cleansed one. Time to find, cleanse, locker travel, and locker wait time all combines to be the actual time spent pulling off this 1 heal.

Self Care can be used anywhere you are hidden, as many times as needed. The heal itself takes a while compared to the raw heal time of other perks and the setup time takes nothing compared to other perks. It’s, imo, better than Inner Healing and on par with CoH - just with different trade-offs.

It’s not just a ‘noob’ perk. Noob perks are perks a player put zero thought into and just copy/pasted from some content creator without actually thinking about situational uses themselves and how it fits in their play style.

• danielmaster87

Don't overlook maps. They can show hexes and boon spots, show gens, and/or show hatch, show an exit, or make a marker with add-ons. The guys I play with say, "I didn't put my boon down til the last quarter of the game because I couldn't find a totem" or "I couldn't do any gens because I couldn't find them"... but they don't want to bring Deja Vu, Visionary, Small Game, or a map...

• Config
    Config Member Posts: 306

Thanks for the transparency the community appreciates ❤️

• Rookie1978
    Rookie1978 Member Posts: 75

the perk being used a lot doesn't mean it's good or needs nerfs just like how nurse's kill rate doesn't mean she isn't a broken balance nightmare that negatively impacts the game just by existing (nerfing other perks just for her) since her special attack is a basic attack

• Akumakaji

Lolol! I love Peanits, but that last line kills me: "We also have to keep in mind that there is currently a Tome challenge requiring Self-Care, so the usasage rate will be higher then normal."

YES! Whou could have thought? A challenge that requires your SOLE loadout to be nothing but Self-Care and has you heal yourself fully yourself ... thats so painfully slow, no botanic knowledge or a green medkit to help ya out, just pure, agonizing nerfed Self-Care. Mind you, the same tome that featured Blight AND Nurse, the two killers that survivors can`t get enough to face off. And that Nurse challenge with the 4k before the exit gates are opened is like pure commedy in this day and age of constant complaints about sweaty Nurses.

Its obvious that the team that writes the challenges is not the same team that works on all the ballancing and perks, but it IS a little tone deaf. Oh well, bless BHVR, the game is still in the best state it ever has been, but this stuff sometimes leaves you with no other optin but to shake your head.