Overwhelming Presence discussion

Options

Continuing on with discussion threads for the least used perks according to the aggregate sites on Nightlight, next up is Doctor's perk Overwhelming Presence (0.28% usage)

Overwhelming Presence - Survivors within your Terror Radius suffer from inefficiency. Affected Survivors' item consumption rates are increased by 80/90/100%.

Interestingly enough, there's currently a bit of a resurgence in perks that work well with a large terror radius because of Wesker with his 40 meter one. Distressing, Coulrophobia, and Unnerving Presence are seeing a bit of use in anti-heal check builds that punish people punishing in that huge terror radius he has.

But even those perks are still only seeing 1% or 2% usage with those gimmick builds, and Overwhelming Presence is barely even being considered alongside them. And the reason is probably simply that making items run out twice as quickly in your terror radius is just not as interesting or effective as the other choices. It does have some effect, but it's just a bit too weak I think for most people to bother with it. At best it maybe makes a medkit run out before a self heal is finished, but otherwise it's not doing much. Toolboxes only lose a few seconds of progress and the Brand New Part add-ons are completely unaffected.

Killers who are actually worried about items typically run Franklin's Demise instead of Overwhelming Presence, and even then Franklin's Demise only sees maybe 3-4% usage. I think Overwhelming Presence would need to be buffed to be at least roughly on par with Franklin's Demise before it would see even average use.

I'm not really sure the best way to buff or revamp this perk while keeping it in the same theme of making equipment worse. One possibility might be to revamp the perk to say "survivors in your terror radius can not use toolboxes, medkits, maps or keys", forcing them to leave your terror to use them at all. (Not allowing flashlights would be overkill, though, since that would effectively just bake Lightborn into the perk and make Lightborn even worse relatively speaking.) Another possibility would be to keep the 100% consumption rate increase but also add in a general modest action speed penalty in your terror radius to all actions (say up to 10%). So even if items are used up and not a factor you're still getting some benefit from the perk.

Comments

• Chilli_man2400
    Chilli_man2400 Member Posts: 2,882
    Options

An idea I had was your items lose 1 charge for every 2 seconds your in the killers terror radius

• GoshJosh
    GoshJosh Member Posts: 4,992
    Options

This perk will never see the light of day, as long as Franklin’s and Lightborn remain as they are. Those perks 100% counter items, whereas Overwhelming Presence’s penalty can be avoided entirely - except for flashlights.

Revert Franklin’s to its prior functionality (only draining all charges if the item is not retrieved in time) and make flashlights actually do something when Lightborn is equipped, and OP can have a place in the game. But it’s doubtful the devs will ever do that. Especially after getting humiliated by flashlights while playing.

• dugman
    dugman Member Posts: 9,714
    Options

I don't think either Franklin's or Lightborn should be nerfed. Neither of them is anywhere close to being too powerful or too popular. Getting more people to use Overwhelming Presence would have to be done by revamping or buffing it, not nerfing other perks with small usage numbers.

• konchok
    konchok Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1,719
    edited September 2022
    Options

I don't think that Franklin's needs any changes made to that perk at all. As for this perk, It could have another use added to it. Give the killer the ability to see the aura's of depleted items. (even if a survivor is carrying them) Within the terror radius.