why can't behavior make good maps

mees
mees Member Posts: 65
edited November 2022 in Feedback and Suggestions

the last maps they made are an other worldy piece of dogshit. Not even a single one is good anymore eerie of crows sucks, garden of joy is awful and now the new map has a bilion pallets. They al are the worst maps and te only good thing they did was change rpd wich still isn't the best

Post edited by entertainment720 on

Comments

• Devilishly_Rowdy
    Devilishly_Rowdy Member Posts: 440

Because the only time they play their own game is custom matches in the weekends against other devs.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

They should listen to the more experienced players about map design. Most agree pretty unanimously on what they need and the good/bad parts of them whether they play survivor or killer.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

It's honestly baffling at this point how the map designers are still able to create such terrible maps, despite all the feedback they have been getting.

I always think that a few safe pallets are fine. A few safe or just strong pallet loops, and maybe one or two god pallets are fine. As long as a map has enough mindgameable pallets as well. But this new map just has so, so many pallets, and so many of them are strong or safe pallet loops, and there are even mulltiple god pallets as well. It's just so bad.

I still hope that the insane amount of pallets that spawn is just a bug, but even if it is, that doesn't change the fact that so many potential pallet spawns are again just strong or completely safe pallet loops. It's disappointing to say the least, and one really has to question the competence of the current map designers. Or whoever is to be faulted for the newer maps being so strong for survivors.

• Stroggz
    Stroggz Member Posts: 498

The game is out for years and they have all the knowledge how survs and killers behave and play vs each other and they still come up with this clusterfek of clutter in a colour palette which makes everything hardly visible. I got a new game to find this is just ridiculous atm.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Probably because they focus on Designers / Art directors to provide a cool aesthetic, while there's probably not too much attention on a balance team. It's a casual game, not an esport, so why spend more resources on this side of the game.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,200

Why can't players ever be happy with a map?

People always hate something different, and can't agree on what they want. Can't be indoors, can't be too open, can't be too big, can't be too small, can't have too many loops, can't have too few, can't be the same layout as an existing map, but can't be a different layout either.

RPD and Garden of Joy aren't that bad, I've learned my way around RPD now and honestly, I do just fine as either role there. Garden of Joy has issues, but they're niggles, hit boxes and the lighting in the house, that's it.

I'm personally fed up of Coldwind, MacMillan and Azarovs, and while the new map does have it's issues (colour palette and pallet colours) I'm sure it's layout will end up being just fine once I've learned my way around it.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

Because they care more about how stuff looks than how it functions.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,930

So what does a good map look like to you guys?!?

• Astrian
    Astrian Member Posts: 320

not this map. Knight hard loses on his own map lmao. There's 10 quadrillion pallets everywhere, survivors can just go from one loop to another that's 5 feet away with another pallet and sometimes a window too, it's ridiculous

• ByeByeQ

Hawkins.

Good use of verticality with unique loops.

Not bad lighting, too large, flat, disguising scratch marks, hard to distinguish borders and pallets and a nothing burger of a main building.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

They don’t test or play their own game. If they did, there’s no way the new map would have been released.

• Seraphor

Can you please tell that to the thousands of players who would refuse to play on Hawkins and DC when the offering appeared, proclaiming 'good riddance' to it's departure.

I loved Hawkins so much, but at the time it was like RPD, everyone hated it. And now I like RPD, so I wonder what would happen if RPD were to be removed...

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,209

To be fair, a huge amount of frustration stems from the fact that killer choice and builds on both sides are locked in before the map is locked in. At least for me.

It's frustrating when you want to play a killer and get a map that mostly deletes their power. Or if you take Balanced Landing and get Shelter Woods. I've had nights where I played Nurse and got RPD, Lerys, RPD. Then I switched to Billy and got Lerys again. I stopped playing for the evening.

• ByeByeQ

"Thousands of players" Bahahaha good one. Seriously you made me chuckle with that use of hyperbole. Dozens maybe... I don't recall even spotting one back in the day in my games on either side.

Considering how BHVR loves to copy and paste stuff I am disappointed they haven't recreated the Hawkins loops on newer maps. There is no way Netflix holds the right to loops as well as the map ffs.

All new maps feature drops that are just too damn high and the survivor always gets staggered for usually an easy hit unless it's one of those god windows on Haddonfield or GoJ.

• entertainment720
    entertainment720 Member Posts: 246
    edited November 2022

Hey there! Just so you're aware, there is a bugged tile that's spawning too many pallets. 

As a reminder, please keep feedback constructive! We certainly value and appreciate your feedback. It is welcomed, encouraged, and actively monitored. Just keep in mind a lens of respect first. 😊 Thank you!

• ByeByeQ

It should be disabled until it is fixed then.

Everyone is getting a bad first impression of the map and you never get a chance to make a first impression ever again.

• entertainment720

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the matter! Kill switching is something that is done with a lot of consideration and many factors need to be considered; please be assured the team is actively looking into this issue!

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

RPD is still the worst map in the game but at least it's a beautiful and faithful reconstruction of the original. Shattered Square is ugly, hurts my eyes and confuses the hell out of me.

Also, Garden of Joy is also really bad from a balance perspective.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857

I know people absolutely love to meme on the devs for supposedly not understanding their own game...

...but they don't understand their own game.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    edited November 2022

This is a really disappointing response. I realize that nobody on the dev team wants to kill switch a brand new map, but it’s absolutely miserable to play as killer and there have been a ton of complaints on this forum and other forums already. The specific complaints are 1) it is bugged with too many pallets and 2) it’s very difficult to see scratch marks and elements of the map look very similar to scratch marks.

Unfortunately it looks like there are plenty of killers that are still willing to play right now so I guess there’s really no incentive or urgency to kill switch the map. As long as there are enough people playing the game these problems will not be addressed quickly, it seems.

• Seraphor

My first game on that map was literally a 4K bloodbath. It is not unplayable for killer, despite a few balance issues. (no map is)

Jesus this playerbase is so melodramatic.

• entertainment720

I appreciate your reply and your frustrations are valid! We take note of feedback here and share it accordingly. As mentioned in the other thread, the weight of the map has now been reduced to that of the other maps while this bug exists. I encourage everyone to continue posting their feedback, bugs, and any other relevant information (in the correct forums of course) for data collection. We take bugs that affect gameplay very seriously, and will continue to monitor the situation. Thank you!

• BlueRose
    BlueRose Member Posts: 658
    edited November 2022

Your first match must be against some potato survivors then or you were playing nurse bc I have had the opposite results on the new map due to the pallet spawns. If a map is bugged where it makes it completely unfun for one side and the other side can take advantage of the said bugged map by sending themsevles to that map then yes that map and its offering should be killswitch no matter what. I was sent to the new map 10 or 15 matches last night and all 10 matches were miserable to play.

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,884

Just because its not unplayable doesn't mean its not miserable to play on. Its like they claim to have a QA team but somehow still manage to have bugs where the map is having more pallets than intended and lets not forget haddonfield having near infinite houses.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,133

Hawkins and other indoor maps limits certain killers from playing to their fullest potential. It was objectively not a good map for both sides.

• BlueRose

I think the least you guys can do is killswitch the map offering so survivors cant take advantage of a bugged map for easy matches against killers. I was taken to the new map last night like 10 to 15 times and each match was miserable to play.

• entertainment720

Thank you for the feedback! Kill switching is used in serious cases, and the map is actively being monitored. We empathize with the frustration players are having, which is why we went with reduced weight at this time. If you run into any other issues with the map, please report the bugs so we can keep an eye on it. Thank you again for letting us know! Please keep an eye on official channels for further updates regarding hotfixes or killswitches. Thank you!

• ShamelessPigMain
    ShamelessPigMain Member Posts: 1,877

Well map design is always a difficult, especially when we have such a variety of killers to consider and such a variety in skill levels. Plus, it's not like designers ever get much positive feedback on what maps are good--RPD was too big, Lery's is too cramped, etc. etc. Even the less-hated maps like Yamaoka don't get praise as much as they just don't get hate. Besides, it's difficult to imagine what the actual map-design process is really like, maybe we shouldn't be so quick to criticize.

• Seraphor

There we go. The players can't agree what makes a good map. How are the devs supposed to know what will make them happy?

• BlueRose

I mean reducing the weight of the map doesn't stop the offering from being used but whatever. I just hope yall fix it soon since the map is miserable to play on as a killer and even feels worse when you get sent to the map by someone.

• ByeByeQ

What "certain killers"?

I played a lot of Billy and Huntress on Hawkins and I didn't feel limited. Well not any more limited than the other indoor maps.