Please stop.

Options

Comments

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

But it's not FOMO....they have specifically said they will be back next year though.

It's not like other games that do limited time cosmetics that once they are gone they are gone forever. But Heroes does that all the time with their monthly purchase bonus that is only available for that month and once it's gone it's gone forever.

The only time BHVR has had cosmetics that were out and now gone forever was the Stranger Things cosmetics but that's not on them but Netflix.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

No. I just keep scrolling because I don't let a company's sales schedule get under my skin.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,157
    Options

If it were just the new stuff I wouldn't mind it as much, It'd still be kinda scummy but it's new content so it's understandable they want to get as many sales as possible from it

But padlocking content that's been available at any time for years all of a sudden? What's the point other than pure greed?

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

Nah, it's still FOMO. A lot of mobile games actually work like this--whatever it is that is currently on sale has a very high chance of coming back later (up to being certain in some cases), but they still run the limited sale tactics. Because it's not "will it be back ever!", it's "If you don't get it, you're missing out for longer than the human brain is good at handling". A year is a very long unit of time for our primitive, panicky, greedy brains to wrap their head around.

Plus, bad impulse control and a lack of patience tend to go hand in hand. The people who'd be worst at waiting another year for a chance are therefore the ones who're most susceptible to FOMO in the first place.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options
  • RainehDaze
    Options

I think that's part of the problem that leads to so many people not getting why it's a shady tactic. They aren't susceptible to FOMO tactics in general, so to them it's just a matter of "oh, well you could wait anyway, so why does it matter?" Without direct experience of it or a good working knowledge of psychology and marketing (and the psychology involved in marketing in particular), it doesn't seem like anything noteworthy. Sales just seem like something that attracts more customers because things are cheaper--but it's not just about elastic demand like that.

• LittleBigSunset
    LittleBigSunset Member Posts: 230
    Options

Thank you! It's so nice to see someone who understands the point of why this practice is such garbage and explain it so well too.

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869
    Options

But it's just cosmetics.... I mean you absolutely do not need them to play the game. In mobile games they put then "new power crept unit" that you need to stay competitive or in games like AC, a powerful weapon that without it there are things you can't do or would take a long time.

Cosmetics?... There is no one who needs them. At all.

• fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250
    Options

Not for Me or Not for You.

It may not be beautiful in the way it is done, but it is a legitimate business commercial practice.

If you want to buy it, buy it. If you don't want to buy, don't buy.

If you don't want it now, wait a year. If you can't wait, buy.

I don't want to buy skins as fast as possible. I didn't even buy the toilet paper Halloween Dwight yet.

It's a business point of view... . "It's only for this time period of the year!" I am just saying. (Although it would be more helpful to state that it will be re-released at the same time next year... It would probably sell better if you didn't.)

Well, I hope that the game will improve with the money paid by those who bought it. Maybe I don't even have the right to expect the game to get better since I didn't buy it, lol.

• brewingtea
    brewingtea Member Posts: 208
    Options

>Stores are not selling Halloween costumes year round

Look at this scrub who only "dresses up" when THE MAN tells them to

• GrimoireWeiss
    GrimoireWeiss Member Posts: 1,452
    Options

I honestly don't understand this "FOMO" mentality. Skins don't have any kind of impact on gameplay. If this was about, for example, a killer stronger than Nurse that would only be available for purchase during a month I would understand it, but skins have literally no impact on how the game is played. Are you guys also buying every new trendy clothes that come out IRL because you think you're "missing out" as well?

• RoastedGarlic
    RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 532
    Options

When the economy is in a big downswing, prices are soaring for everything and anything, it is also christmas time so people with children can't frugely spend on themselves because we have to make this time of year special for kids. I personally bought most of my christmas cosmetics back in early november when I knew my money would not be as tied up. Now because of these stupid changes I won't be able too do that for next year and since they release around christmas I am kind of screwed. Especially since me and my wife have a rule during christmas not to buy anything for our selves.

Thing is I used auric cells to do that in november. So whats the difference if I buy them with auric cells now or later? Why do they have to leave?

• BarnesFlam
    BarnesFlam Member Posts: 654
    edited December 2022
    Options

Cosmetics don't affect gameplay.

Post edited by entertainment720 on
  • RainehDaze
    Options

Yes, that is how things like FOMO work. If you have any investment in something, even things like cosmetic skins in a video game, then that's an opportunity for marketers to exploit with the idea that this thing is only available for a limited time, so you'd better get it now.

The amount of "I don't personally get it so I can't accept that it's bad" in this thread is amazing. This isn't rocket science or top secret! It's not a fringe theory! It's well-studied, which is why so many companies use it.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533
    edited December 2022
    Options

that make no sense. You can’t comprehend if you want something, buy it. If not, move on.

It’s not unreasonable. You can’t buy seasonal things year round in the “real world.” It’s the same. BHVR isn’t responsible for your FOMO.

• MeanieDeeny
    Options

I do have children actually, I also knew these skins were going to be released some time ago and that I would want the majority of them, so I also planned accordingly. They never just release new cosmetics, we’re always shown them well ahead of time.

• BarnesFlam
    edited December 2022
    Options

Yes you can buy seasonal things year round in the real world.

• MeanieDeeny
    Options

The game is not going to improve, might as well enjoy the new cosmetics.

• MeanieDeeny
    edited December 2022
    Options

So you can walk into a Target in March and buy a Christmas sweater? No.

• BarnesFlam
    Options

No but you can order it online. Did you forget about Internet? The very thing you're using right now?

• BarnesFlam
    edited December 2022
    Options

Ah of course, buying things online isn't real.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,303
    Options

People did plan accordingly. They held the vote for the Christmas cosmetics months ago. Around the same time, they announced that ALL new non-licensed outfits would be made available for iri shards after 4 weeks. Not (maybe) a year later. Not "excluding collections".

Many players have been grinding and saving shards with the intent to purchase these outfits based on the announcement, from the official DBD twitter account, that these would be available for shards after a month.

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

This is my problem also. It's not that they're selling cosmetics for money -- it's that they started off by saying, "All of the non-licensed cosmetics will be free from now on, after the first four weeks!" and now they're like, "J/k j/k most of them won't be free." Why even tell people that you're going to make it free if you're not? Just so they can be disappointed? Or (more nefariously) because you want them to pick out the ones they want and get used to the idea of having them, and then suddenly feel pressured to buy them before they disappear?

I don't get it.

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,782
    Options

Fortnites a free game with, outside of Save The World (an abandoned campaign mode), no additional purchases that lock you out from playing certain parts of the game. To own everything content wise in the game you need to pay 12 euro-ish.

Dead by Dayligh is a paid game with many additional purchases that lock you out from playing certain survivors and killers. To own everything content wise in the game you need to pay 202 euro.

I wouldn't compare the two games.

• RainehDaze
    edited December 2022
    Options

You think the number of mental illnesses that sabotage this one thing is rare? Really?

Or, in fact, that this matters? FOMO is why gacha games rely on making most of their money from a small fraction of players. The entire concept is to milk the hell out of the most vulnerable part of the playerbase to maximise income, well above what you get from the majority of players. It's a deliberate predation.

• RainehDaze
    edited December 2022
    Options

I genuinely do not see what part of this you're having trouble understanding:

FOMO isn't the mental health issue.

FOMO exploits existing mental health issues to make sales.

The complaints are that it's a change to a sales tactic that targets these people who have legitimate mental health issues! FFS, people with mental health issues play games too.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,382
    Options

When I got diagnosed with ASD, I was told that roughly 1 out of 10 people have some form of autism. Granted, it's a wide spectrum by definition, but calling it a rare exception is false.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553
    Options

Ah, yes, I guess I will just shut and not complain about the fact that they are now removing sixteen year-round cosmetic sets that have been available in the shop for a long time, as well as every ugly sweater, because they feel they can get more sales by using FOMO tactics and preventing people from accessing content that was previously universally available. And this is definitely not concerning at all, seeing how many of these sets aren't even strictly holiday related (like pajamas, open-chest Felix, pig guts Twins, or Jake in a bathrobe), and I have no reason to worry that they'll continue to snip content out of the store on the loosest of reasons.

Clearly I am just upset for no reason.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,622
    Options

But it wouldn't be your biggest worry in life- it would be yet another problem to add to the ever-growing list of problems that companies are now targeting you, and others in similar situations to you, because they know you're easier to manipulate into giving them money. The knowledge that that's happening alone can be awful, let alone having it happen to you.

You don't need to be unaware of these schemes to fall victim, either, which is the worst part. You can be fully aware of what's happening, why it's happening, and yet it will still happen and then you'd regret it instantly afterwards.

You say entitled, I say vulnerable. Clearly we come from 2 very different walks of life.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,193
    Options

It's a forum, where people can speak their minds, for one. Second, the main point is about BHVR stating at first that said outfits could at first be bought with AC's, then afterwards with Iri Shards. Then they went back on what they stated themselves and made it AC's only, and for a limited time. I reckon you understand that people are going to have questions about that, right?

For me personally, it comes down to I can not longer take BHVR's words for whatever they're stating now vs. what they're going to say later on. Which is fine, their business model and form of communication, but they've lost me as a paying consumer 🤷‍♀️

• MeanieDeeny
    Options

No. I don’t agree with what they’re doing as far as all the other cosmetics that have been for sale year round, are now being considered limited.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 5,553
    Options

Then I'm glad to hear that, but now I don't really understand why you're so against the idea of people complaining, petitioning, or being alarmed by BHVR's shift in policy, given that these two things are heavily related.

• Lycidas
    Lycidas Member Posts: 1,170
    Options

I wasn't the original poster, @Ryuhi was, but yeah I shared your sentiment so I started trying to let others understand why fighting against this is important

Yes, it feels like fighting windmills for now but at least we're making noise about it on the forums

• HamsterEnjoyer
    HamsterEnjoyer Member Posts: 578
    Options

Thankfully I dont do business with any of them and stopped playing OW when OW2 came out and revealed all new content besides maps was locked behind pay walls. Many people have boycotted these companies and I'm not sure why you put Bethesda there. AFAIK the only crappy thing they did was release Fallout 76

• VideoGameMage
    VideoGameMage Member Posts: 358
    Options

Even if you or I don't fall for fomo, Fomo still affects everyone. The gaming industry is notorious for the ridiculous amounts of whales willing to spend anywhere from hundred to thousands of dollars on stuff like cosmetics. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if DBD had a sizable amount of whales, it's why certain survivors get more cosmetics than others. And it's because of this games start introducing these ######### monetization styles just so they can make more money from these types, and now everyone else is forced to deal with it as well.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104
    edited December 2022
    Options

From a per person standpoint, maybe but from a per dollar generated standpoint, it's not true. These vulnerable people are much more likely to overspend and be whales much to their own detriment. Companies are willing to sacrifice sales from normal people and exploit these vulnerable people because they make more money that way.

• Levitika
    Levitika Member Posts: 216
    Options

"Please stop justifiably complaining about anti-consumer predatory business practices, just have more money to spend."

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,757
    Options

I never really understood why people decide to scream about corporations attempting to nickel and dime their customers, considering that corporations pretty much do not care about what people think about them until people start showing up at their offices with picket signs

You want them to stop doing scummy stuff? Stop giving them money, hell, boycott their game altogether if you are that committed, wasting your breath by screaming at a company that does something you don't like is about as effective as screaming into the ether

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,728
    Options

Because these types of tactics are designed to very specifically take more money from the people vulnerable to them, specifically to make up for lacking sales elsewhere. You not buying it is still part of the plan, its the ones who can't help themselves buying your share for you.

Why else would you not just keep the items available at all times, and allow more purchases to be made? Its counterproductive in every way except to squeeze certain people for as much as possible to make up for any other lost sales.

This discussion has been closed.