Dbd matchmaking is the worst of any video game

Options

I don't think I've seen any other video game have bad matchmaking then dbd all for one reason...it's skill based but not good skill based. Yes some video games use skill based but they use an algorithm dbd simple how many killer you got or how many escapes(minus hatch for some reason) that doesn't change anything I got four kills cool but how well what if it was a team that contained someone who went AFK or someone who gave up but let's mix in some relatively good survivors in it. Then I get a 4K okay simple now let's see how I did during the match...what's that?...oh that doesn't matter in the slightest how the match actually went you only care about the kills?...oh okay I see yeah differently works so how about this...just work on skill based and have it revolve around not just kills but performance instead since performance plays a really big role.

Comments

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,273
    Options

Apex Legends

For Honor

Overwatch

There's 3 for you

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,070
    Options

OW is not as consistently bad as DbD in terms of matchmaking. And at least the bad ones are over quick.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,131
    Options

I started playing Apex Legends in the past week or so and that game seems to have a dramatically worse matchmaking system than DBD, just to pick a single example.

Also, do those other games use an algorithm? All the games I looked into the first time BHVR officially explained the MMR system seemed to work the exact same way; wins increase, losses decrease, the difference in MMR between you and your opponent determines how much it changes. Granted, this wasn't a huge sample size, but it was about five or six fairly prominent games.

• SmarulKusia
    SmarulKusia Member Posts: 819
    Options

The problem is that there's a comparison being made between two drastically different game genres

• Shroompy
    Options

idk man, I just started playing a month ago and I feel like I've gone against people WAY out of my league

People having golden guns and cool skins n ######### and I'm over here just trying to fist people

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 12,994
    Options
  • SmarulKusia
    Options

DBD is an asymmetrical game, whereas all the other games are symmetrical. Most of the games MM is based on being symmetrical.. But so is DBD's... Thats why its flawed.

• jesterkind
    Options

I don't think that's necessarily true, since the important part still functions- that being, the killer winning means that specific survivor lost, so it's still a win/loss game where it still functions as an indication of skill. If you escape more often than you're sacrificed, you're either doing something right or there's something unbalanced going on, and the same goes in reverse and for killer.

The other games being symmetrical means they're easier to balance, but I don't think it matters too much for this particular aspect.

• SmarulKusia
    Options

It is true. The MM and the game is designed around being played as a team, but only accounts for your action - that action being a kill/escape.

This is alright for the killer because the killer can just tunnel vision two people out of the game pretty easily - and have a net neutral round. But a survivor's MM and skill is assessed purely on their actions - whereas to escape, you NEED your team to pull their weight. Since it's an asymm game - it's already heavily tilted against you.

• jesterkind
    Options

You have hit on the one gap the current system has there, that being the gap it has for acknowledging teamwork. Luckily, if I recall correctly, the developers have mentioned they're looking into that.

All this system really needs is a softening of your loss if you die but your teammates escape. Sure, you'll lose games because of bad teammates still, but... of course you would, you'd lose in any other team-based game where your teammates aren't pulling their weight. The asymmetrical nature does mean you still need to be able to 'win' for the matchmaker if your team aren't good, but the fact that you can still lose isn't an issue.

• edgarpoop
    Options

I know OW uses hidden MMR as well. And shockingly, players are largely unhappy with matchmaking. It must be taught in game dev school because a lot of developers are doing it despite consistent player feedback.

• SmarulKusia
    Options

Well, the issue is that the MM is one-dimensional. Aside from not considering that teamwork is required, it considers no other actions other than escaping. You can engage in a chase, you can do all the gens, you can do all the altruism possible but if you've not escaped, it won't matter.

All these games, to some extent whether lesser or bigger, do consider these things. If you are the top-performer of a lost game, you will lose less MMR than someone who was at the bottom of the scoreboard. But DBD considers absolutely nothing of this - when it would benefit the most out of a system that does.

• jesterkind
    Options

Again, do they? I definitely saw some that definitely don't, they only consider if you won/lost and what the MMR of your opponent was in relation to yours.

If they don't, I certainly see why. It'd be really, really difficult to assign all the right values to all the relevant moving parts of a match, especially considering you don't really need to when the overall winrate will tell you pretty reliably if someone's performing well. If someone's not performing well and they're winning every match, there's something wrong that needs fixing completely disregarding the matchmaker- and the same goes for the reverse, if someone's performing well and losing, something's wrong that isn't related to the matchmaker.

If those things are important, they'll lead to you winning more. It's not a fundamentally broken concept, at least as far as I can see.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,503
    Options

I don't want to hear it I just got matched against two players who finished in GM last season.

Two separate matches.

Agony.

• edgarpoop
    Options

Yeah. I do hate the "my team can't get out of spawn" games it throws at me every 5 or 6 games. Maybe OW is equally as bad? I don't know. It's the equivalent of solo queue with a teammate who doesn't have their monitor turned on against a 4 slowdown killer.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,503
    Options

It might be.

I'm Plat-Diamond. Why are they here. Why must I be subjected to this

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,248
    Options

Didn't DBD tone down their skill based MM'ing / MMR system due to long queue times? Realistically though is matchmaking really the issue with how games go? Sometimes I have potato teammates but normally I'm placed with players who on paper should be equaled skill to me. Most of the time my bad games are from people getting tunnel vision on battlepass achievements who are willing to ruin the game for everyone else to get them. Overall though DBD actually has pretty decent (Not great) matchmaking compared to a lot of other games. At least from experience. Most of my negative experiences the past 2 years can be boiled down to achievements and battlepass stuff or FOMO related nonsense but that's not a player issue.

For the above mentioned games it's honestly the same with Apex for example - On occasion you'll get someone (Granted much more rare) throwing a game just over battlepass points.

• Shroompy
    Options

oh yeah how could I forget LoL

my first few games getting absolutely rofl stomped and then being called various slurs because I had no clue what I was doing

good times

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

You're facing two other issues

1: Trying to balance one killer against 4 survivors.

2: DBD has a snowball nature not seen in a lot of other games. The first chase or two are massively important. If it lasts for two minutes, survivors likely have multiple gens done. If survivor goes down quick either do to bad luck or being the weak link on the team, the survivors are now slowed down as they'll be constantly rescuing healing throughout the match.

• jesterkind
    Options

I'm not sure I understand how these are issues for the matchmaking system?

Certainly I think the killer/survivor balance is difficult, but that's not a matchmaking thing. I'm also not sure what your point is with the second part there, is it just that bad teammates can lose you games super early? Because that is true of other games too, just to a less sharply obvious degree.

• sailthesky
    sailthesky Member Posts: 24
    Options

Which mode are you playing? If you are playing Comp, there is MMR and SR. If you're playing Quickplay (Unranked) and Arcade, MMR and SR aren't there. You get matched up with whoever queues up at the same time as you.

It's the same with League of Legends. If you play Arams or an event mode, you are going to be matched with whoever. I don't play normal mode (unranked) enough to see if people are more skilled than me.

Either way, DbD matchmaking is nothing like other games. The MMR is hidden we are told, yet I see someone like Skermz who solo queues and gets baby survivors who have only been playing for like 20 hours or whatever. Sometimes even baby killers and he's a skilled DbD player.

Trying to justify DbD's matchmaking is nuts to me. I started playing again (only played a total of like 300 hours or so) and the killer had TTV in their name so I went to play back the game I played with them and guess what? Legit a iridescent killer. I am an Ash player, playing against an iridescent killer. ????????????????

• Shroompy
    Options

was playin Quickplay, also Im not trying to justify this games matchmaking, its also terrible. I have over 5k hours and each game is like a box of chocolates, i never know what Im going to get.

Also Grades have nothing to do with matchmaking, they pretty much just show how much a person has played that month and doesnt really show any indication of skill

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,419
    Options

The first point:

The killer is a set amount of skill, while the survivors bring different skills and perks to the game. To use myself: I tend to play healing skills and team builds, if I get matched with a No Mither my usefulness goes down quite a bit, even if we are in the same MMR bracket. It's not just perks, but playstyles that need to match up.

To explain the 2nd point:

Take any game that has respawning, for example I'll use a standard FPS team deathmatch where you play to achieve a certain score, let's say 40 eliminations. Even if both sides are perfectly balanced, either team might have a period were they go on a "run", ie team A might rattle off 6 kills in a row at one point. This is true of sports as well, take basketball, a team might rattle off 12 points in a row with other team getting none, though the end result might be a balanced game.

In the above scenario, the statistical outliers get balanced out by the length of the game. DBD's nature is very different.

As an example let's make up some numbers for a killer's chase in DBD: say 20, 43, 52, 65, 80, 110. If the first chase of the game is the 20 second one, the killer has a huge advantage, if the 110 it's the survivors. Even if the game is balanced you'll have those outlier chases which can really make the game seem unbalanced (maybe it felt like MMR failed, but it was just the early game luck really swung one way or the other). If you played the same survivor/killer matchups multiple times it could become clearer.

The above though is exacerbated that all survivors are not equal - if the killer happens to run into the weakest survivor first, it is a huge advantage.