Okay, but what exact counterplay IS there for Knight using his power to camp?

Options
MeltingPenguins
MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
edited December 2022 in General Discussions

Twins, Pyramid Head, Hag and other killers that could potentially use their powers to camp have counters, usually crouching. But Knight? So far I haven't heard anything that there's something to do other than either

1. let the hooked person go to 2nd/die
  2. Point 1 + getting knocked down and hooked.

EDIT: to clarify something I should have mentioned: Is there a build-in counter/protection that isn't common knowledge

Comments

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

Have one guy distract the guard and another guy go for the save.

Or if you're feeling brave, get the guard's attention, wait for the banner to spawn and use it to help with the unhook if you're alone in the save.

I haven't played against enough knights to know. And the ones I have played against were not very good at camping.

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

thing is so far the only thing you can really do when you got a guard on your butt is run away, so, banner isn't an option most of the time (are they supposed to phase through vaults btw?)

• Grandpa_Crack_Pipe
    Grandpa_Crack_Pipe Member Posts: 3,306
    Options

They are, yeah. It's supposed to be like a Pinhead just phasing through the vault thing.

And I guess it depends on whether or not you have a thing you can run the guard around to get to the banner, which is.. situational. I dunno, man, it's a good camping power.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

You can literally negate the whole thing by doing a two person save.

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

nope. you can't. because you can bet your behind, the knight is nearby as well. also... even if we assume kindred is in play (or a swf on coms)... it's not as easy.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Ideal situation is to have one person to distract the guard while another person saves turning the knight in a m1-only killer at camping wich shouldn't be a problem

If you're solo and can't pull of these coordinations then run through the guard when they detect you, stop to make sure you're in a hunt and then run straight to the hook, the timing is a bit tricky as the knight can't hit you before the hunt started

But once it does the knight can't hit you without stopping the hunt and the second you touch the hooked person the hunt ends also which means that the knight again turns into a pure m1 camper which isn't a problem

The knights camping only works when you or your team allows it too

• tenoresax
    tenoresax Member Posts: 793
    Options

Do people still not know that the guard will disappear if you unhook while they're targetting you? Or is there some work around that I'm not aware of?

• Sheridan_LT
    Sheridan_LT Member Posts: 417
    Options

Yes, they are and Guards are killed when you unhook so this is a non-issue OP. The only problem is when Knight camps ALONGSIDE the Guard, then you have to take a hit.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

If one person distracts the guard, and a second person goes for the unhook, then whether the knight is there or not has no bearing on it being "the knight". Then it is just a regular camping killer. There is nothing special about the knight's kit once that guard is chasing Jake away. Use normal anti-camping tactics at that point.

• Sheridan_LT
    Sheridan_LT Member Posts: 417
    Options

It's so hard to camp with a guard unless you also hold your power until they unhook, which means you are allowed to do the save but the unhooked person is at least distracted by a guard for 12-24 seconds. The ONLY advantage Knight has is he can guarantee a trade unless 3 people go for the save and one gets hunted by the guard, which....

Is really not all that huge and using a patrolling guard to camp the hook is not the most optimal way to play.

• MeltingPenguins
    Options

which is all too often the case.

And that's what I was wondering most:

Usually the play goes like this: Knight sets up a guard and waits nearby (just far enough away) and rushes in if the guard finds someone.

Now, take Twins as example: This is/was a common tactic on them, just that one twin would be dormant while you control the other. But the dormant one would get the notification thing (killer instinct? was that the name) if someone is nearby. UNLESS the survivor crouches, which bears a risk still, but it doesn't sound the alarm.

Similar with Hag's traps, you can crouch through them, unhook (while holding the button) and the unhooked person can insta-crouch by already pressing the button as they get unhooked.

So I was wondering if there is a build-in way to NOT have the guards sound the alarm.

• BlueMittens
    BlueMittens Member Posts: 29
    Options

Literally just run up to the person who is on hook and unhook them, the unhook action will make the guard disappear, likely before they even fully materialize.

If the knight is also camping then it is no different from any other M1 killer camping in that you are going to be trading regardless.

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419
    Options

As a couple people have said, if you're being chased by guard (green circle on your icon) the chase ends if you unhook. Worst case scenario, the knight is there and hits you after unhook. Try to put the hooked person between you and the knight if he's sittin there. Then he'll trigger BT almost every time and you can still take a protection hit to help them get away. If the Knight is staring directly at the hook, unhook from his left side. Knight swings his weapon slightly from his right side. It's enough that he'll hit the person on hook pretty much every time.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,200
    edited December 2022
    Options

Option 1) Try to get the banner or the unhook when the guard is a bit away. It helps when you played stealth games before where it's important to remember patrol ways from the KI and find the perfect sneak around sweatspot.

Option 2) Wait it out or go for the save with 2 mates. (1 mate need to kite the guard away)

Option 3) Don't go for the save and hope your team does, DO GENS! (Kindred can help here)

Option 4) Bring Reassurance to make sure the hooked surv doesn't go into the next hook state when you mess it up.

• fake
    fake Member Posts: 3,250
    Options

It should be added that the forced end of the Guard's discovery phase is not triggered by the unhooking, but by the moment it is tapped for the unhooking.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,647
    Options

How does PH uses his Power to Camp?

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

I just run in fast as I can as the guard disappears when you unhook... though it can end up in a trade which I will do if they are going to 2nd stage etc

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

Except the guard is an actual threat regardless of whether that one survivor remains by the hook or not, that survivor is removed from play and cannot continue to protect their survivor.

The Knight requires at least 3 people to safely pull a save if he is there in every situation that he is camping. All he has to do is force you to fake and then you die if you're alone. If there is someone else that person is no longer in the picture and then The Knight now can do the same faking with the other survivor now doing nothing because they have to be chased.

A killer that forces 75% of the team to be occupied when camping is HORRENDOUS killer design, they should have learned better

Hell, Pyramid Head has better Anti-Camp mechanics on hooks and he literally cannot damage you with the Trail.

• BillsHere101
    BillsHere101 Member Posts: 247
    edited December 2022
    Options

The guard immediately disappears when you're pressing the unhook button. He's no different than your usual M1 hookcamper besides Bubba, Huntress or whatever has better power than Knight.