EAC on Steam Deck / Proton / Linux

Options

Comments

• coffeestuff
    coffeestuff Member Posts: 5
    Options

I'm sorry, I stand corrected.

Whether or not I get into the main menu is random.

I was kicked out of an online game.

Anyway, I'm here to help and here to test with you all. Also, I wouldn't take "developer silence" as a bad thing. I was testing Darktide recently, their official statement is/was that they don't support linux. In the time leading up to Darktide, they made improvements in Vermintide II; however, V2 isn't quite there.

During beta, people figured out how to make it work in with proton --- including steam deck. It currently works now on launch, and it worked throughout beta in linux via proton, though it's not officially supported, and they've not made a statement. They've expressed interest, but the community is on their own.

I suspect that, given that DbD is a mature game, it's non-trivial to figure it out. We have no idea what code has been built up over years to fight cheating. That's why Vermintide II one can only host on linux. Mods, apologies if that's off topic, but I thought that was relevant.

• nikodemo
    nikodemo Member Posts: 758
    Options

Good to know, Coffee, and welcome!

I'm confident they will get to it eventually, I just wish it was sooner.

Hopefully by the time Steam Decks are available in Japan and Stadia is retired.

• coffeestuff
    coffeestuff Member Posts: 5
    Options

If we look at it as "all or nothing", that might be a problem....

But, given that this is a mature game, maybe it'll work in certain instances (i.e. Vermintide 2).

I'm not a dev, and I have no idea what's involved, but I can appreciate technical complexity.

Devs/Behaviour: the vocal minority isn't looking for "Steam Deck Verified"... they're watching protondb-dot-com. If there's a "corner" in which this can work, I think the community would be understanding; that way it's not "all or nothing".... my 2 cents.

• Mach2
    Mach2 Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 49
    Options

We had it.. and then we didn't have it. I don't know why someone from BHVR can't just pop in and say "This is what happened" - like get off your high horses and just TALK TO US!

• Pyc
    Pyc Member Posts: 97
    Options

I think we can't play in this year, because update/bugfix patch already released

• Alphonse
    Alphonse Member Posts: 146
    Options

Please let us play!!!

• ylem
    ylem Member Posts: 22
    Options

*Got 25k for logging in today.* Still got the error, sadly. I also followed another poster's suggestion and unlocked Vittorio's shirtless "shirt" despite not yet owning him, since I had the 495 premium currency lying around anyway and only ~8k iri.

• davidlicurici
    davidlicurici Member Posts: 46
    Options

I m so sad I can t play :*(

• aleksasiriski
    aleksasiriski Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

The game STILL WORKS PERFECTLY EVEN MULTIPLAYER but only on Epic Games (using Heroic): https://github.com/Starz0r/AreWeAntiCheatYet/issues/971#issuecomment-1336444123

Post edited by aleksasiriski on
  • jneurotica
    jneurotica Member Posts: 4
    Options

They probably want to explain what happened, but the higher ups haven't given them permission to do so. Please keep in mind that these are people with jobs running this forum, and they can be punished if they say something they're not supposed to. Not to mention, the people who manage this forum may work in a totally different department from the game devs, so they're probably just as in the dark about this as we are right now.

• arsoul93
    arsoul93 Member Posts: 13
    Options

As others have mentioned the game runs perfectly but when you try to join any online games you'll get disconnected as the loading screen starts due to EAC. Using the Survive with Bots or Kill the Bots modes I was able to get a constant 120fps with proton experimental, performance seems to be on par with Windows.

Now just to wait for this to be enabled!

RX 6800XT, 5700X, 32GB RAM, 2560x1440.

• meffle
    meffle Member Posts: 11
    Options

I think if anything is more likely eac was temporarily disabled and they didn't say anything about it, possibly accidentally, possibly on purpose. Windows users didn't notice anything different and Linux users thought Christmas had come early.

Given that the steam deck icons are beginning to appear in the menus, it's clear that they're working on it, it's just frustrating that they're not being open with us about timescale or obstacles.

I suppose that given the fact that playing the epic version works on Linux, things must be progressing at long last, but I have thousands of hours invested in my steam account version and linking bhvr account doesn't sync progress, so I'm just left waiting.

• aleksasiriski
    edited December 2022
    Options

ok

Post edited by aleksasiriski on
  • aleksasiriski
    Options

@nikodemo please update the post

• nikodemo
    Options

ok, so, i've decided i'm actually not going to update the main post with workarounds for EGS. i'm glad it's working for you and thank you for letting the community know.

but what i'm looking for, and what this post was originally about, was getting proper Proton/Linux/Steam Deck support for EAC for DbD. there's no reason DbD shouldn't just be 'install and play' on Steam on Linux.

that's what i'm looking for and that's what i'm waiting for.

• Pyc
    Options

we win, when can play via steam w/o some tweaks, out-of-box. manipulations w/ egs not true.

• h0lyl337
    h0lyl337 Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

The dev's broke the game again, and are not giving us any progress reports or anything, its been 2 years. Can we get a definitive answer? I'm so mad, let the bot net loose?

• gerbilsrcute
    gerbilsrcute Member Posts: 25
    Options

Other games with EAC work fine on the deck m. So it IS doable.

Come on Devs enable it.

• davidlicurici
    davidlicurici Member Posts: 46
    edited December 2022
    Options

Please BHVR let us play...

• Pyc
    Options

today dbd download update 6.4.2, game doesn't work

• Alphonse
    Options

Please bhvr let us play

• 20PercentRendered
    Options

The game still works for me through my previously mentioned heroicbashlauncher workaround.

• hotadposter
    hotadposter Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 10
    Options
  • hotadposter
    Options

I have also been waiting for a year. I have literally purchased this game 5 times, once for xbox, then ps5, then for Switch, then as a gift, and finally for Steam. The only system I have any desire to play it on is Steamdeck as I do not want to subscribe to ps plus or xbox live and cancelled them so I can't currently play it on console, and it is a chore moving my desktop to connect to my pc not to mention there is lag with the xbox controller.

This game would be amazing on Steam Deck, please just turn it on. Steam Deck is the future!

• Alphonse
    Options

... omg... they do not care.

• Alphonse
    Options

Please bhvr bhv , I wish to play on my steam deck ...

• Bart__S
    Bart__S Unconfirmed, Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 1
    Options

After a year (!!!) still waiting for the devs to press 1 button....

• Suzaku1221
    Suzaku1221 Alpha Surveyor Posts: 5
    Options

Anyone post a video tutorial on how to setup from scratch the supposedly working version of DBD via Heroic Launcher?

• Alakad
    Alakad Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2022
    Options

Step by step:

• Get DBD from the Epic Games Store -- which is free btw
    • Download Heroic Launcher and attach it to your EGS account so it will see that version of DBD
    • Go into Steam and make sure Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime is installed. You can find it in your Library if you change the view-mode from "Games" to "Tools" -- It's between the search bar and the home button on the left side of the steam UI
    • Right click Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime and go to Manage => Browse Local Files and either take note of the path to this folder, or move up one folder and copy the entire folder somewhere easy to remember.
    • In Heroic Launcher click the gear icon to go to settings on DBD. Make sure some version of Proton is selected as the "Wine Version", people have said basically any version of experimental or GE works. You can easily download different versions of wine inside Heroic if you need to in the "Wine Manager" section of the menu on the left side. Make sure "EasyAntiCheat Runtime" is DISABLED. Scroll down a bit, make sure "Use Steam Runtime" is DISABLED. Under "Environment Variables" add the following in the first box PROTON_EAC_RUNTIME and in the second box put the path to the Steam Proton EasyAntiCheat Runtime from the previous step.

That's it. Launch the game and you should be able to play multiplayer. There is currently no way to link your Steam account to your EGS account, so if EGS is not your primary way of playing then you're starting at level 1 with nothing.

EDIT: Adding info provided by user _ManlyMaid

U still have to:

" In the game directory copy the EasyAntiCheat folder to DeadByDaylight/Binaries/EGS/" (or link it)

Post edited by Alakad on
  • ylem
    Options
  • Suzaku1221
    Suzaku1221 Alpha Surveyor Posts: 5
    Options
  • Alphonse
    Options

I wish to play on my account with 5500H

, i spend so manny money . please BHVR , enable support , please

• Juli0
    Juli0 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I only get this error, I already tried to redownload the game. Does anyone know how to solve this / has the same issue?

I am using Fedora

• Alakad
    Options

I assume you've tried right clicking DBD => Properties => Local Files => Verify integrity of game files... but if you haven't, try that. If that doesn't work, try deleting any folder in steam with the name 381210 because that number is DBD's Steam Game ID which means those files are related to DBD, things like settings and precompiled shaders and what not.

If all of the above doesn't work try deleting the DBD folder and re-downloading the entire game.

• Juli0
    Juli0 Member Posts: 3
    Options

After all of the above mentioned stuff the games still gives me the same error sadly

• _ManlyMaid
    _ManlyMaid Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2022
    Options

U still have to:

" In the game directory copy the EasyAntiCheat folder to DeadByDaylight/Binaries/EGS/" (or link it)

Was not mentioned in the guide above. After that it worked for me.

• Alakad
    Options

Oh yeah, I'll add that to my previous post. It works without it for some people and I'm not sure why. I can play without copying/linking the folder for some reason. I'm on Ubuntu 22.10, maybe that's why.

• Wildikdog
    Wildikdog Member Posts: 1
    Options

Merge is up now, at least it was for me anyway, did check Steam after merging just in case but I still got disconnected from a custom game. EGS seems fine and I played a Killer match just fine.

• Pyc
    Options

guys, maybe bhvr plans to mark us as cross players?

• nikodemo
    Options

Hi @Mandy,

Can you speak to this at all? Can the devs provide us with any kind of status update? Since ppl can play with the Proton EAC successfully using the Epic Game Store, but on Steam proper it is still not working. So why can't we play on Steam?

• ylem
    Options

Can confirm, account merge does work. It doesn't give you a free copy of DBD on EGS though. I hope this is not some insidious ploy to get Linux DBD players to buy DBD again... That'd be ######### up.

• hotadposter
    Options

Any update on when this will be working?

• Moshquito
    Moshquito Member Posts: 9
    Options

So i bought dbd on epic again since its on sale right now. I followed the steps in description to get it running on Deck via heroic. I can not get past the title scream. Always get the EAC error. Any ideas?

• Mach2
    Mach2 Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 49
    Options

Still not working as of todays bugfix.

• Pyc
    Options

when I stopped waiting, you gave me hope. so I can wait again? periodically checking? Dead By EacWait🤢

• Alphonse
    Options

😞

• ylem
    Options

1 more day of daily rewards with shards and I'll be able to buy Vittorio to use the shirtless version I bought so I cannot use the content. Grand. Maybe eventually they'll do an Epic Games Store free weekend so I can play the game I paid for.

• Sluggies
    Sluggies Member Posts: 6
    Options

Have we figured out why it worked for a hot minutem, and then it was pulled away?

• Nonolls
    Nonolls Member Posts: 6
    Options

For those who have tested the game via the Epic Game Store, does it still work?

I'm hesitant to buy this game for the 3rd time but I need to be sure it works. Thanks