Stop 3 Genning

A Nemesis brought us (a solo queue team) to Dead Dawg Saloon with Brutal Strength, Overcharge, Call of Brine and Eruption. From the start of the match, he did not leave his 3 gens around main (which were spitting distance from each other). He kept kicking the gens and did not commit to any chase. Eventually, all the pallets in the area were used up and even a god-tier looper will go down. To make matters worse, both zombies were patrolling the area. There was no skill involved, yet after this 45-minute war of attrition, we all eventually died.

Please don't be deliberately obtuse by saying that it was our fault for letting the 3 gen happen, as he did not leave the area and did not stop kicking the gens from the start of the match.

Please don't say the killer earned it because even a skill-less 4.6m killer will eventually down you in a dead zone since you have no resources to work with as a survivor.

Is this really what the devs and the players want this game to be? A 45 min gen-kicking simulator?

I know this forum has recently been filled with discussions around the gen-kicking meta, but I think it's important we keep having this conversation so the devs understand the gravity of this situation.

Comments

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

They need to fix map design

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Fine, I'll start playing killer again and play my normal fair gameplay, lol

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,437

It's a bit of a sore topic for me atm because i had 4 games in a row that lasted 30-45min because of this, then my first game the next day was the same so I just shut the console down. I'm happy for people who have that sort of time on their hands, but I don't. I don't mind the occasional long game, particularly as a solo player who has on the rare occasion helped accidentally leave a 3 gen for the killer at the end of the game. I'll own that.

Of the 5 aforementioned games, we did manage to break it twice but that's not the point. I don't care about escaping, I care about my time. In the 2 years I've been playing, I've DC'd exactly twice - both legitimate reasons. I don't care if I get tunnelled or camped or downed first. It's not that deep. But I'd rather not play than be stuck in these dragging games. Congratulations to the folk who have the time for that.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

But then the same can be said about Survivors....Purple Toolboxes, BNP, all the Gen speed perks that synergize perfectly, the Gen Rush squads trying to get out of the match as fast as possible.....

The Devs changed all the Gen slowdown perks but never touched Survivors Gen speed perks and then added new ones to their arsenal.....

• gnehehe
    gnehehe Member Posts: 510
    edited December 2022

DEAL!!!

Devs remove proove + BNP + toolboxes + ... (continue the list)

AND they remove Call Brine + Eruption

The amount of ######### you can do with these 2 perks is infinite on map with 3/4 gen cluster from the start

One relevant example:

Post edited by gnehehe on
  • Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I’m sure he pipped.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436
    edited December 2022

Getting a three gen from the start might have been the Nemesis' only real chance to win. There are multiple Killers that suck at anything but patrolling a small area due to the size of the maps and their low mobility. We'll, that or they can camp and tunnel.

In solo, I've had some luck beating it by bringing a Commodious, BNP, Built To Last, and Potential Energy (or a bit riskier Potential Energy, Stake Out and Hyperfocus with a Commodious and BNP). The only way to bust the three gen strategy is to bring something really good at doing gens and then busting it early. Of course you have to time it well because as soon as Eruption goes off your one chance to get it is done (which is, once again, one of the ways that Eruption hurts solo more than SWF).

If you'd like advice figure out where the three gen is and hammer it early. You'll either break it so the game is winnable or die early so at least you're not stuck in a 45 minute match. Until Eruption gets a rework that's probably your best bet if you don't want to waste time.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,228

????

They added 10 seconds to every generator last summer. Unless you're talking about Hyperfocus and Overzealous. In that case, try them out in a few matches and see how much they actually do.

• VikingDragonXii

I have and seen it in use in my Survivor matches you forgot to add Prove Thyself as well that 10 secs means nothing when you stack everything to speed through gens.....

Hyperfocus is a bad perk if your a player who can't hit skill checks....but there others probably like me...I can hit roughly 60-65% of greats as long as Huntress Lullaby or Doc isn't affecting it

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

The nerve of that guy for wanting to win.

• VikingDragonXii

What makes eruption unhealthy isn't the regression but the status effect that is put on Survivors and with no viable warning when a survivor will go down unless on Coms that unable to do ANYTHING is a major hindrance. I would be happy if they just removed that status effect and added basic information for the killer like was a survivor on that Gen or something minor.

Overcharge is a good perk and can be a big issue if left alone but the Skill Check isn't that hard and it prevents Gen tapping strats.

Call of Brine I haven't seen or used that much because I can't stand how weak Sadoko is unless I use a very boring and hated strategy....

Overall I think Eruption needs minor Tweeks but they also need to look at Gen Speed Meta of Survivors and why that combo of Killer Perks is being used so much.

Also......Doc really lol he is my Meme Killer since he is basically a charged up M1.....but I do say a King and Queen Doc is really fun to play.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Hey, maybe if enough killers play like this, Deja Vu + Potential Energy becomes meta.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,853

I have no problem with Overcharge or Call of Brine but Eruption is a big problem as are full slowdown builds.

I think they should make slowdown perks like exhaustion perks where stacking them makes no sense (like running DH and SB together) so you cant create scenarios such as this.

I played against a Knight with this build except he had Nowhere To Hide instead of Brutal but the effect was the same... He just camped mid RPD and there was a top and bottom gen with another just outside mid. I ultimately gave up as I just wanted to play a normal game.

The guy saw no issue with what he was doing and said "if it is broken then why is it in the game?" and unfortunately these are the kinds of people who are out there ruining the game for everyone.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,970
    edited December 2022

Its annoying when people strictly say it’s the survivors fault it’s not always the survivors fault gen spawns are complete garbage the way they spawn close together sometimes

• VikingDragonXii

Hey potential energy is good if you know when and how to use it.....I have used it to get those dangerous one person gens done quickly, avoided Tinker with it, and help break a 3-Gen with it....just have to know when to build it up or when to not. Most use it wrong and hinder thier team.....

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,853

I forgot about this thread and started my own complaining about this... but it is becoming a genuine issue with Knight in particular. They just set up a 3 gen and camp it and there is nothing you can do when they can constantly regress gens and incapacitate you with Eruption.

I feel like I don't want to play against Knights at all at this point as they all seem to be doing this now

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Deja Vu + Potential Energy is the counter to 3 gens.

Sadly, most people that use it, use it on the same gen they are working on. Instead of using it to prevent a 3 gen.

I hope a big streamer picks it up and people start to use it correctly.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

Ask yourself this question: Why did he play that way:?

The answer is probably not something you want to hear. The truth is that DBD maps are far too generous for efficient survivors. Bad players go to a loop and throw the pallet immediately. Good players loop 4-5 times and then throw the pallet. The amazing players loop 4 times then swap tiles and then go back to the first tile after a few more loops on a different tile then throw the pallet to break the killer's bloodlust.

As someone who plays killer and often sees 10,000 hour players I can't blame the guy you played against. My last match of the night was 30 minutes long and even the dead players stayed to watch. I had 4 hooks and there was only one generator left but it was a three gen in the corner of a map and there was literally only two pallets left on the entire map. I had 8 stacks of save the best for last. So you know what I did? I waited for someone to make a mistake. In the meantime I waited for the gens to tick down to nearly 0% progress. Then I would go for a 30-40 second chase hook someone and come right back to find the generator at 90% progress. This cycle repeated several times until someone died because they got greedy.

The survivors had every advantage : they were a 3 man SWF with good items and luck put them on a farm map. Even the 4th player who was a random was highly skilled and was pressuring generators (and did a good job of pressuring me).

"Is this really what the devs and the players want this game to be? A 45 min gen-kicking simulator?"

The longer the game goes on the more it favors the killer. Why? Flashlights run out of batteries, medkits lose the ability to heal you and eventually you run out of skill (what most people call pallets).

Killers do not want to lose the game by trading one hook for three generators.

"it's important we keep having this conversation so the devs understand the gravity of this situation."

You know what made Pop better than CoB, Overcharge and eruption? It was massive instant regression that rewarded the killer for hooking. Gen kick perks can be undone by survivors who touch the generator aggressively after a kick. I use a different build when I play strong SWF players because gen kick perks do not work when people call out which gens to go and harass while I chase someone away.

Ultimately what I'm trying to say here is this:

1) Gens are completed too quickly by efficient players relative to chase times.

2) SWF has too much of an advantage unless you are playing Blight/Nurse.

3) Most of the maps in the game favor survivors.

• VikingDragonXii

I love how so many call PE a horrible sabotage perk because either they don't know how to use it or have seen so many players use it at the wrong time or use it wrong.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Keep map offerings, but make them do the opposite of what they currently do, make them deny the realm