The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

How will Dev’s Buff Killer’s after this Update?

As a PSA, I’m a survivor main that plays a bit of killer from time to time. I have wanted basically this exact update for quite some time as far as bringing solo queue’s quality up a bit. However, this will be a massive buff for survivors, and I think it’s effect may be being underestimated. I predict that killers are about to start experiencing mostly 1k’s due to this buff. So the question is, how will killer’s be buffed to compensate?

Comments

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

I suspect we will all wait and see what the results actually are before making any changes.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,923

If Killers start losing 100% then bHVR will buff Killers.

Sounds like you expect bHVR to just throw buffs around just in case.

Like Mandy says:

It might not be best emotional response if you feel like Survivors are just winning rn.

But it is the most reasonable response, Observe, check numbers, Observe, check numbers again, design a solution, impelement solution, Observe, check numbers, Observe, check numbers again. REPEAT FOREVER.

• Unam
    Unam Member Posts: 118

What "buffs" to knight? That is more like a QoL Change nothing less. Killer is still garbage and still W-Shiftable. Guards are still technically not able to catch survivors. Simple maths.

Most Survivor sided map? You ever played Garden of Joy? The main building in Eyrie is still untouched.

• WishIcouldmain
    WishIcouldmain Member Posts: 4,082

They still haven’t made any major changes to Swamps or Redwoods still, when they desperately can use some changes, I’d say those ones should be fixed first, or the absolute abomination of Badham or Garden. I don’t have PTB so don’t if Eeyrie is changed good.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,269

"massive buff for survivors"? Have we played the same PTB and seen the same icons? - Yes, the icons are neat for borderline "######### is everyone doing?"-situations; aka 'do I really need to run across the whole map to unhook?' or 'is someone on the other gate?' and 'where the f* is the killer, are they chasing someone or what?' ---- answers to these questions are good to have and help avoid borderline ridiculous situations (like two people running across the whole map and arriving at the hook around the same time - potentially together with the killer cause they can't find anyone anywhere else) but they don't have a huge impact on match outcomes outside of accidental stomp-fests.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Uh...no, it won't.

I don't even think it'll be that big a buff for solos, to be honest. Communication isn't the core problem. Coordination is, and finding people who won't pout and suicide/DC because they got downed.

There are plenty of things about the game that needs fixing on the killer end - stupid hook spawn logic, the Garden infinite, unhookable spots on Badham, genrush squads - but these changes aren't anything to worry about at all.

Honestly, one thing that solo desperately needs is to be able to see everyone's perks in the lobby, so you don't end up with 4x Kindreds and 3x CoH's because nobody spoke the same language.

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,308

Considering the icon change exists in a weird spot where it's both overestimated ("every game will feel like a sweaty 4man!") and underestimated ("it'll do literally nothing, zero, nada") at the same time it's a brilliant example of why it's a good idea to actually see what happens before you make any further changes. The reality is somewhere inbetween, where no amount of information will ever be able to emulate other aspects of swf (like being able to pick your teammates, knowing 100% they won't DC because of the location of Venus in the sky when they went down or something), and at the same time believing players that are genuinely interested in making smart decisions won't put the info to use is also pretty silly imo.

I mean I thought the "let changes actually apply before making further changes" philosophy was considered a good thing at least, ever since the original very quick change to Freddy after his release made the devs noticably shift towards it. Not that there hasn't been changes that either luckily got nuked quick (like the "no timing needed for pallet/flashlight saves" one that didn't last long at all, luckily) and stuff that should've been nuked far faster (release Legion) but you know.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 862

I honestly dont feel bad for killer players tbh. As a solo q player, its more difficult to not rely on 2nd chance perks for tunneling and info perks for camping killers as they take advantage of that strategy. And they are most of the time not even punished for it because i dont know what my team is doing.

It truly sucks that one person's experience is ruined because of a killers playstyle. So hopefully, this updated hud will cause solo q survivors to be more efficient and cause camping and tunnelling killers to learn to adapt and apply pressure on everyone which i believe shows great skills of a killer. Otherwise, gens will more likely fly in their matches.

• AverageAshEnjoyer
    AverageAshEnjoyer Member Posts: 427

Eyrie nerf and wiggle changes were good for killer.

As for how they SHOULD buff killers I would say they just need to buff the lower end killers (trapper, sadako..)

• VideoGameMage
    VideoGameMage Member Posts: 358

Cross that bridge when we get there I guess.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,159

I mean they did it with Eyrie of Crows, who's to say they wont start doing it with other maps?

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

I don't understand how the Eyrie got the hatchet to its size while Red Forest is allowed to continued to exist as is.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,199

A minor buff to survivors warrants only a minor buff to killers.

A FoV slider, up to about 100 degrees, and rework Shadowborn/Monitor.

• AetherBytes
    AetherBytes Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 3,028

This is one of the few times I agree with BHVR's philosophy; lets wait and see first. It increases the power of solo queue of course, but it might not be worth compensating for.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,434

It's only a buff if survivors use the information correctly, which many won't.

But as QoL changes, I think killer deserves Shadowborn basekit and being able to see hook states. Tunnelers will tunnel no matter what, but sometimes people play for 8 hooks and don't care to mercilessly tunnel.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Sweeping buffs? No.

Some maps badly need to be reworked, as they can be sodding miserable.

Otz did a pretty comprehensive video on which killers need buffs/reworks/addon passes, and I agree with most of them.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729

Basekit Shadowborn would be too OP.

Lowering the Chase theme volume, now that´s a QoL change especially if BHVR keeps the crappy Nurse theme.

• sanees
    sanees Member Posts: 520

are you seriously the Shadowborn op? this is the same perk that no one uses and which makes it easier to blind the killer

even more interesting how it will help some freddy against swf

• FMG15
    FMG15 Member Posts: 456

I actually think that Fractured Cowshed is Currently the most survivor sided map and sadly that map hasn't been fixed yet. BHVR should focus on fixing their current maps instead of adding new ones

• roundpitt
    roundpitt Member Posts: 578

It probably will reduce kill rates. It’s over the top to say everyone will get only one kill. But it’s also dismissive to say that it’s not going to effect kill rates much.

Yes, giving solo survivors the equivalent of about 2(?) extra awareness perks is going to affect the kill rates. Of course no one knows how much, but if it’s a small amount I would be very surprised.

After some time it may start feeling like every group is a SWF as solo survivors learn how to use this new information being made available to them. Which is a good thing for game balance but dismissing the fact that this will reduce kill rates is not helpful. It’s pretty obvious that it’s going to reduce kill rates. The whole point of the change is to bring solo in line with SWF. And if you’ve played against good SWF teams, you know the gulf of difficulty between the two types of games.

• sanees
    sanees Member Posts: 520

the main fear is that the buff of the killers will be at 6.1 when the survivors added the S tier perk to the base

and the killers got a kick that rolls back the generator by 2.5 and accelerates the breakage of pallets by 0.2

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,199
    edited January 2023

First you need to evaluate how much of a difference these survivor buffs make. I don't expect it'll be a massive drop in kill rates, maybe 5% among solo survivor lobbies, less than 2% among SWF if that.

Then you need to work what sort of killer buffs would work in turn.

Personally, I think the best kill buffs that provides the same kind of buff and of the same magnitude, would be increasing killer FoV (via a slider setting) and giving killers hook state indicators. These would be minor info/QoL buffs, that help killers be a little more efficient in their main objective, but crucially don't provide killers who are either already at the top or using cheap tactics as much of an advantage.

The wider FoV would give less experienced killers a better chance at not getting spun out by 360's or survivors hiding on their toes, which very experienced killers can already deal with, while the hook counter wouldn't benefit campers and tunnellers because those players already know who they're targeting.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

5 years of us telling them, them not doing it, and then continuing to release new maps that are too big as well. I'm more pessimistic from the track record. I hope you're right though.

• usesPython
    usesPython Member Posts: 121

I don't expect it to have too big of an impact on kill rates because it should only really improve the gameplay of a very specific subset of survivors, namely:

1. Not on comms
    2. Good enough to interpret the status icons to know what they should be doing
    3. Not good enough to do so without the status icons

At the fabled "high MMR" most survivors are either going to be on comms or will have enough game sense to know what's happening even without icons.

At "low MMR" most survivors won't be able to interpret the information well enough to do anything with it.

It's only at "mid MMR" that survivors might see some use out of this, but even then since there's no way to see if the killer is camping from the icons (other than not seeing anyone in chase for a while) you'll still see people just straight up bringing Kindred

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Killers don't need anything at this point

They have faster recovery on hits... I think that is enough for now

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,658

Chase music needs to be dramatically quieter, so that killers can have a QoL increase too.

Nurse is completely unplayable for me on the PTR because of the chase music. I refuse to play a character, where survivors are instantly silent whenever they break line of sight. Chase music should be much quieter than it is on live servers, for all killers, so it’s easier for killers to track survivors that break line of sight.

We shouldn’t need to “wait and see if killers need buffs”. We should be implementing QoL improvements for survivors and killers, and then balance accordingly.

• Bardon
    Bardon Member Posts: 1,004

BHVR have stated that they're following a "wait and see" attitude. I can understand that.

However, given their past history (COH is still broken AF and nothing in the pipeline to fix it etc) I'm not holding my breath.

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,235

"Hey im being chased" instantly automatically available without the chased survivor needing to distract themselves from the chase.

Its just one of the better comms callouts.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,280

Realistically, I think the only applicable info from the patch will be that someone else is going for an unhook, and whether or not they got intercepted. I really don't think this'll result in some huge escape spike.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,434
  • JediWithASniper
    JediWithASniper Member Posts: 670

That’s exactly what I’m saying. I’ve got around 3k hours in this game, most of which is in solo q. I guarantee this is a bigger buff than people think. I know what it will do for how I play, and it will make me way more efficient at gens. I will be able to determine very quickly who was working on what gens and where to move on the board. My escape rate will climb substantially.