Prestige levels only encourage bullying.

GlitchyGamer
GlitchyGamer Member Posts: 39
edited August 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

I was a level 100 prestige on psn. I only played Feng because she was by far my favorite. I switched to PC a week ago and this might be a waste of my time because I doubt I'll even download dbd again. As a survivor main the game is just depressing anymore and all of my friends have quit because of it. The idea of starting over with nothing in the current state dbd is in actually makes it sound horrifying, just not in the fun horror way. But anyways, every single ttv I came across always mentioned how I had no life to be that high of a prestige and how I was a tryhard. Before the match even started. There are ALOT of ttvs on dbd. I would get hate messages after games simply over prestige as well. I do not ever play toxic. I would get tunneled immediately and hit on hook for literally no reason...over and over and over. Theres only so many times you can be degraded every match but also be helpless to stop it and still want to play the game. The killers would join our lobby, see a high prestige and leave over and over until we finally got one brave killer who stayed, and more often than not they had brought a black ward and were extremely toxic.This happened EVERY game. So the skill based matchmaking becomes useless. There is literally no use for prestige. It only encourages lobby shopping and bullying. People interpret high prestige as sweaty players. Why would you add a feature that adds a target on the back of those who actually play this insufferable game? I know its not just me either because twitch streamers and tik tok creators talk about how they have to hide theirs as well by playing different characters than the ones they love. Trust me, there's no need to add any more reasons to ditch this game right now. I'd add a hide prestige feature.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,211

Or BHVR can stop babying players and let adults police their own behaviour.

90% of the problems with this game are in fact problems with other players, and BHVR can only do so much with the game design to discourage those things.

You, and other players, should realise that prestige ultimately means nothing. You could put all your BP into one character, or you could get 10 characters to P10, and it takes the same amount of time.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

If i see someone with ttv in the name they're getting a mori

• Youko
    Youko Member Posts: 187

GlitchyGamer, unfortunately it is a cultural problem that goes way beyond Dead By Daylight and even gaming. I don't think you're being dismissed by anyone here, more so that the problem is so overwhelmingly large there just isn't anything Behavior can do. The sort of man-power you would need to monitor the amount of communications would absolutely dwarf the size of the studio and even with automated tools you face the issues of improper bans or missed ones.

Behvaior also can't act outside of the what's said directly in the game chat. For example, after playing a match on PS4, I had someone message me saying they were going to falsely report and stalk me until I was banned from the game all while spewing hateful garbage at me. Mind you, PS4 has no in-game chat, I could not say anything to this person to incite this, yet this they still had a disturbing meltdown over a completely normal match.

When I approached Behavior, they said because the incident occurred over PSN they could not take action. This is because they have no direct access to those messages, therefore no way to validate them internally. Sony, however, did ban this player from PSN within 24 hours of reporting. After that I disabled all messages not from friends. However, this just led to users sending me friend requests that used the friend request subject line to harass me instead, again call me horrible things. At that point I had to disable all friend requests and set my profile to private.

At some point we have to be accountable to ourselves for what we are and are not able to tolerate. We only control ourselves and can't force people to act in accordance with what we believe is right, only use the systems in place to try and influence them positively. Like many people who voice the same complaints, if you've spent a significant amount of time on the game, you're also butting up against a psychological phenomenon called Sunk-Cost Fallacy. It can play into addiction, can cause a sense of entitlement that you have a say in the thing you are invested in (whether you actually do or not), and can cause a lot anger, frustration, and distress when you run into issues like that that you yourself can not resolve even if you think you should be able to.

The reality is that we are not the owners or creators of this game and we only get as much of a say as the devs are willing to allow us, that being none at all if they so choose. We also aren't the parents or guardians of the people who upset us, nor the police or government who can legislate and regulate acceptable behavior. At some point you need to have the accountability to say "I'm done with this thing because the negatives of being here outweigh the positives." If you choose to stay, report on the proper platforms, block chats, or do whatever you need to to get to the place you need to enjoy it, or quit if that's the only option left. Doesn't make people's behavior morally right, don't mean the harassers win, it just means that you chose to leave an environment that hurt you more than it gave you happiness.

• MoNosEmpire
    MoNosEmpire Member Posts: 649
    edited December 2022

You want the honest answer to this?

It's got nothing to do with your prestige. It's to do with the state of gaming. Nowadays everyone is toxic in one way or another, they despise the fact that you're having FUN and want to ruin it for you. Online games were never meant for overthinkers because once you go offline you'll constantly be thinking about it. You need to stop letting games get to you and do what you need to do to have fun. 10-20 years ago gaming was in a healthier state and when you saw that "sweat" you would say they're good and actually send them a friend request, nowadays people like to just be constantly toxic regardless of how good you are at the game and assume they're better. Behaviour can only do so much but there's always other factors in play; the state of the world for example, war, someone having a bad day etc. But the main reason for killers tunneling so hard right now is simply because there are hardly any counters to it, this does need changing, weather BHVR will address it? I don't really know, probably not.

Camping and tunnelling on the other hand partially plays into why you're being picked on. The common "Touch grass" quote for example, so cringe but yet used so widely because of how horrible the state of gaming has become. I for one (as a TTV) get facecamped AND tunnelled regardless of what happens, it's just how the game is at the moment because killers have been crying over boil over/dead hard/decisive strike and if something gets a little too difficult for them they start to sulk.

I'd suggest playing other games while you play DBD so you aren't constantly harassed.

• CookieBaws
    CookieBaws Member Posts: 619

Don't worry, overtime prestige will worth nothing. I mean it is useless as it is, but later people who actually play will have decent prestige levels anyway.

Also, why care about random people?

• Tits
    Tits Member Posts: 234

I get the feeling, even tho i just prestiged rebecca to 22, it feels more like pressure on u as soon as u show up to a lobby, like that person has high prestige, he must be good, or a target, and has to play better than any other rebeccas in the lobby. kind of regret prestige

• Ripley
    Ripley Member Posts: 866
    edited December 2022

It is a similar thing to XP level in some FPS games I play. I can be the highest level in a lobby and if it is visible I have had players call me a noob for not destroying them in a match, or if I am destroying them, players leaving the match early because they feel it's unfair to have been put against me. All it shows is I played the game a lot, it doesn't mean I am master rank.

I think it's maybe younger players who have these beliefs as they are not able to self-correct that it is possible to play the game a lot and still be a "noob". Plus attitude about gaming in general, I play to have fun and have zero aspirations for esports/hardcore competitive or streaming.

• PrincessCalla
    PrincessCalla Member Posts: 139

My Claire is p60 and I get hard tunneled out of every match. Can't wait for the fun to start once I get p100!

What Youko said though is very good advice imho.

I mean I agree with you OP, toxic people suck and it seems like a lot of these online games attract them.

• Freshwick
    Freshwick Member Posts: 71
    edited December 2022

Sounds like you play a lot, never adapted to higher mmr and throw regularly with no plan other than to eat the hook playing the same build.

Then come here to say..

BHVR don't add or introduce a prestige reset just remove the feature completely because you foolishly tried to flex and now found yourself being flexed on.

• GlitchyGamer

Or..I really like Feng and spend all of my bp on her because she's the only character I like to play. So I spend all of my MASSIVE amounts of bp on the bloodweb hoping to good items for her. Your mindset is literally an example of the problem. See. I prestige my character and it becomes "flexing" to people like you. No. If I wanted to flex it why would I be asking for it to change? Your logic is completely flawed. Spending so much bp on her was never an issue before the prestige system. In fact, I never prestiged her the first time. I play casual dbd and happen to like one character insanely more than the others. I've spent more real money on her than I care to admit. Why should I have to not spend bp on her just because people think I'm "flexing"? As for adapting to higher mmr? Hmm. It's hard to adapt to the mmr system when the killers that I am matched with based on my mmr are leaving every game BECAUSE of the prestige. Plus, I am a casual gamer. I don't want a sweat fest everytime I play. So yes, the prestige does make people think I'm more skilled/tryhard than I actually am. That's the whole problem.

• DEMONANCE
    DEMONANCE Member Posts: 800

this is certainly a good suggestion and i hope bhvr actually listens. you're definitely not the only one affected by this and i am really sorry for the experience you're getting.

maybe in the meantime you can do a last second switch when possible? or maybe just give feng a rest till there's a solution.

• Sanna
    Sanna Member Posts: 26

I do wish there was an option to hide prestige levels if we wanted to. I realized I get tunneled out way more often when I use my high prestige character, and I'm a casual player so when I go down easily or can't loop the killer for 5 gens, I get trash talked by both the killer and my own teammates lol.

• Freshwick

I don't think you understand how prestige works in online games..

Imagine being master prestige in call of duty and complaining about getting run over because players adjust they're playstyle based on your prestige level/ experience you display in the lobby.

I personally spread my bp over a variety of characters but my highest prestige level is 20.

Can you not search a chest for items or do you need 100 brown toolboxes to feel confident enough to play a match as Feng?

And you're not the only person who spends money on the title.. plus you're a casual so calm down.

The majority of users like this feature 💪

• CheesyBabyBoi
    CheesyBabyBoi Member Posts: 234

Valid. Should be able to hide it optionally, let the people who wanna show off show off, let the people who wanna feign greenie-ness feign it, let people who wanna stay anonymous be that way.

• Tantamountain
    Tantamountain Member Posts: 38

If they were going to do that, there would be voice chat or at least text chat in the game.

No, BHVR clearly wants to baby SOMEONE. Evidence in this case indicates easily bruised egos, like killer mains.

The game meta and design reflects this as well and compounds the issue.

• GlitchyGamer

"The majority of us like this feature". You don't speak for the majority of people and it's egotistical to assume you do. You speak for yourself and "maybe" your friend group. The majority of the people that I see/talk to HATE the new prestige system. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you like it, then keep it on YOUR character. But those of us who DONT like it, deserve the option to hide it. I don't need to explain my gaming choices to you. I had over 800 brown toolboxes btw. But I'll spend my bp however I please for the items I like to use which are NOT common items. Is that supposed to be something that gets punished? Just because something doesn't affect you doesn't mean you get to decide what the rest of us want. The fact that you say "you're casual, calm down". Dude. I'm trying to remain freaking casual. That's the whole point of wanting the option to hide like i already explained repetitively. Acting like you play dbd competitively isn't the flex you seem to think it is. The killers don't just "adjust their playstyle to my prestige level". They leave. It's that simple. The mmr is useless when the killers keep leaving. Everything you say literally is so far off the point. "You're not the only one who spent money on the title". Like bro what? Where did I even say I was the only one? I said I spent money on outfits for Feng so Its a waste if I'm not playing her. Like everything you argue is so far off the point. I am not wasting my time to argue about it with you anymore.

• GlitchyGamer

Oh. One more thing. Thank you for the picture of your characters and how they're leveled. It did absolutely nothing to prove your point. You should know EVERY SINGLE ONE of my characters were at least double yours and I had every surv unlocked. I played ALOT of dbd. You were clearly just slow to earn bp🤷‍♂️. When I say I favored Feng. I meant I poured most of my bp into her. But I had already leveled up my others for perks and challenges. Its hard to keep the prestiges lower when you earn so much bp all the time. So spreading out the bp evenly? Yeah, no.

• Freshwick
    edited January 2023

Can you stop yourself from eating food?

Or do you you blame your weight on McDonald's as well?

If I was leveling up and noticed the killer targeting me because of my level or leaving the lobby.

I would switch to another character/ skin until the community caught up to my main.

I wouldn't make my issue/ mistake everyone else's problem.

I wouldn't request other players to sacrifice their prestige because I was impulsive and caused myself more lobby time/ to get tunneled.

The solution to your problem is to create a new account and start over because your main account is boosted.

But you want to look cool.. so buy an account online or wait until we hit prestige 100 as well.

You have plenty of time on your hands with your bp grind to start over 🤷‍♂️

• Blank14
    Blank14 Member Posts: 15

I have a suggestion for you. Display the survivor with the lowest prestige in the lobby. Then before the match starts, change to your beloved Feng.

• GlitchyGamer

No. I cant stop myself from eating food.. you know, because I'd starve to death. Great analogy there, my guy. You're really saying it's my own fault for spending the bp to buy items that I like to use. It wasn't a problem to spend the bp before this prestige update. People shouldn't be getting punished for spending the bp on who they like. I literally said I wasn't asking for prestige to be removed but to allow us to hide it if we WANT to. You don't have to "sacrifice" anything (which by the sound of it, isn't much of a prestige to begin with so I'm sure you're completely unbiased). This isn't just a problem for me, It's a problem for a lot of dbd players. Don't waste your time arguing with me just because you think we should have to wait for the rest of you to actually play the game enough to get the same treatment. Im not going to buy another dbd account? Like the whole reason I want to play Feng is because I already spent so much money on her outfits. Why would I buy a new account. You sound so ridiculous it's not even funny.

• Freshwick

Once again you fail to miss the mark..

Could have stopped prestiging held onto the bp waited to use it.

Even after your favorite streamer and all your friends say/ complain how it's detrimental to their/ your gaming experience.

(At a minimum you earned 800 toolboxes, 800 medkits, 800 flashlights.. 2,400 trails worth of strong items.

2,400 games at 20 mins a pop = 48,000 minutes if fame time. Which works out to 800 hours of being boosted ingame no wonder you are entitled js)

Then complain about being dodged or hard tunneled when your "character" is stacked/ kitted out smh

"BHVR I want all the advantages.. items, perks and offerings without the killer knowing. Hide prestige from the game so we can play life smurfs. I refuse to keep playing against someone informed!"

btw I asked you: "Can you stop yourself from eating food? Or do you you blame your weight on McDonald's as well?"

Your response: "No. I cant stop myself from eating food.. you know, because I'd starve to death. Great analogy there, my guy."

Me rn🤦‍♂️

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979

If you hold onto the BP cap.. then you either start wasting earned BP or you stop playing entirely

• LiaLight
    LiaLight Member Posts: 75

From the start I thought displaying prestige in the lobby was a mistake and I hope highlighting this issue again will make Bhvr notice the issues it can cause. I have noticed people with high prestige being targeted and tunneled as well as people with low prestige being singled out for being the perceived weakest link. On top of that the lobby dodging you mentioned. And no matter if it is a true representation of the player's skill in those cases, there clearly seems to be a psychological effect attached to the prestige level either way.

I think the suggestion of making the display of your own prestige level optional in the lobby and only show it in the post-match screen is great and wouldn't hurt anyone.

• CBT137
    CBT137 Member Posts: 138

I just wish Bhvr would hide prestige levels, I watch my friends stream sometimes to help them get better and they just dodge lobbies or tunnel the highest prestige, it’s a little infuriating.

• GlitchyGamer

So done with arguing with you. Your mindset is a literal example of what's wrong with the prestige system. Call me entitled all you want. If wanting to be matched with my mmr and not wanting to be tunneled is entitled then I claim it proudly. Enjoy wishing negative gaming experiences onto other players just because you think its stupid to spend bp on your fav characters.

• GlitchyGamer

Thank you. Like I literally could not have said it better than that.

• Freshwick

Your assumption that users are targeted by prestige with zero evidence other than 'feelings' isn't a fact or a strong argument imo

Surprise Gamer!

Players are targeted for a variety of reasons. Simply put, if you are the weakest link you will be killed quickly.

Survivors found first, those caught attempting to break a hex, unsafe unhooks by teammates, w/e all lead to a difficult escape.

Nothing to do with prestige or rank.

You're not factoring how killers have changed their playstyle. Instead you blame your displayed experience level not gen speed, the item in your hand or the evolving meta.

Thinking the killer is penciling down the prestige levels before match.. sounds like emotional damage to me.

Nothing is stopping you from playing offline 'party mode' with unlimited items.

And your problem isn't my issue tbh because I spread my bp on other Survivors/ Killers for permanent perks unlocks.

I play in a variety of ways with multiple builds.

My concern is.. would BHVR code an option to hide prestige or perform the most cost effective solution and remove prestige all together?

So let me flex on you a little bit before you ignore this post.. you stated I don't have much prestige to lose.

My total prestige level is 250 and you're a level 100 getting rolled daily repeating the same mistakes with the same result 👀

• GlitchyGamer

Once again your mindset is "your problem isn't my problem". If it doesn't effect me I'm not interested. I'm seriously not even reading your responses anymore. Like I guess we will see in the long run whether or not behavior thinks the lobby dodging and tunneling is an issue. You can move on.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

I didn't like the idea of showing anything (to be honest)

Just show whatever at the end... it gives more to the gameplay and it may surprise players

• Freshwick

Loved your posts, can't argue a point, can't leave well enough alone, can't lose without an excuse while you cry about toxicity my dude your goofy

Hold that L circle jerk, your epidermis is showing 🤷‍♂️

• mr_Beast_Artist
    mr_Beast_Artist Member Posts: 327

It is necessary to make it so that the prestige of the killer would be visible, then it will be fair, or make the function hide the prestige

This discussion has been closed.