Why can’t we choose if we want regular wiggle interaction or the skillcheck one?

I don’t like the new wiggle skillcheck interaction, can we please let us choose the option to stick with the old one or the new one?

Comments

• hastarkis
    hastarkis Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 580

I was sure we'll get it as an option not a replacement.

• hastarkis

True.

And you can loose some progress unwillingly; more than you do with current system :/ I hope-hope-hope they'll keep alternative for us. Just please, why not, it just can't be harder than different action options (press/hold).

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,410

Same, they gave an in game advantage and bp rewards to the test version, then claimed "everyone likes it now" as an excuse to remove the original version.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,237

My guess would be that the old wiggle system works differently to the new one. Hitting A/D provides more 'wiggle' movement than the auto wiggle that's generated by the skillchecks. Then again, I don't see why they couldn't change it to hitting A/D imputs the same as controller stick wiggle and everyone's on the same page.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,295

I think it's because the new wiggle system is getting more fully integrated. It has good and great skillchecks, with differing powers and effects, so where do you put the AD spam?

Additionally, if the devs know what to expect from a survivor on the killer's shoulder, it becomes easier to adapt it to other aspects of gameplay. What if you had a perk, for example, that recharged charge-based perks for hitting great wiggle checks? You can't do that if AD-spamming is still also an option.

• hastarkis

Meh. I guess it's next boil over nerf then, make it tied up to great skillchecks only.

• TheycallmeLix
    TheycallmeLix Member Posts: 334

And surprised that BHVR didn’t let us choose a option.. don’t force us to this wiggle skillcheck! :(

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,711

My guess is the original was made to remove to simplify things in the code. Say they want to introduce a new perk revolving around struggling or a bug comes up involving struggling. Now there's only one struggle type to troubleshoot/code around instead of two. Which would free up bandwidth for other things.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,638

Are you sure? It was my understanding the old system would still be available.

I really dislike the new wiggle system. I'm not sure I want to play like that.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,180

Along with this, I'm guessing BHVR doesn't want to deal with two different mechanics from a code perspective. Like right now old wiggle works fine but what if one day it doesn't? That's now resources and time that has to be sunk into fixing an old mechanic that the vast majority of your players don't use. Just one more thing that can break the code of the game from a technical standpoint.

• LeonArlott
    LeonArlott Member Posts: 3

God y'all really will just complain about anything here huh?

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251

Is the new wiggle system bugged or has it really little to no effect on the killer movement?

• littlepaw
    littlepaw Member Posts: 67

Wait, they really took it out? I thought that maybe would happen but I was hopeful it wouldn't. I don't even use that wiggle anymore I switched to skillchecks because it was easier on my arms but #########. Hopefully they still have it saved somewhere so with backlash they'll put it back in. Such an unnecessary thing for them to do as people clearly still used it 😔

• YOURFRIEND
    YOURFRIEND Member Posts: 3,389

17% is actually not a small number. I use the new one but the option hurts nothing.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,410

That's also after the adoption rate was massively boosted by giving an actual in-game advantage to the new system while it was "tested"

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,737

Things that have already been covered

1: Simplifies the code.

2: Allows the potential for new perks.

I'll add two other likely reasons

1: It also fits the rest of the game better. Survivors do everything else via skill checks. It's just strange that there is one and only one gameplay element that could be not skill check based.

2: Easier to recognize how it impacts the game. The ping pong skill checks are easily definable - great, good, or failure on the check, here's how frequently a survivor can make them, mashing buttons doesn't have that ability.

• TheycallmeLix

That’s me but with console using joystick. BHVR many people dislike the new forced wiggle skill checks. Please reconsider this and give us an option like many said!

• Jay_K
    Jay_K Member Posts: 429

The issue with this is.

1. The code previously allowed for switching and lets face it there are bigger issues with the code of this game than wiggle options.
    2. There should never be perks that increase wiggle progress other than what there is right now (breakout is fine because it relies on others bringing it). If they brought out a perk that sped up wiggle progress then all you would see is new perk, boil over, flipflop and (insert random meta perk here)
    3. this "fits the game style better" has come up many times but i don't understand why this game is turning into skill check simulator. I don't play survivor to much but when i do im amazed at just how many skillchecks there are now, healing, gen, wiggle, second stage hook. Having the 2 button clicks doesnt seem like its going to be "breaking the style of the game".
    4. I understand it gives more information on how the wiggle progress is going to increase but this is a preference thing. majority of downs happen so close to a hook that wiggling doesnt actually matter anyway. Unless you have amazing solo teammates or are in a swf that is looking after each other 9/10 times your going to be hooked regardless of if your hitting greats or good skill checks.

Now the update has dropped and this new wiggle mechanic is in the game which i detest is forced I likely won't be playing survivor unless its for a tome challenge (at which point its throw the game for the tome then get out). Once im downed and hooked i don't want to have to sit there and super focus on constant skill checks for a slim chance to escape. I would rather just be mindlessly pressing 2 buttons (which you don't have to mash breaking your keyboard you can do it at a slower rate which is actually not that bad).

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

Ah, it's the anti-change brigade who want every legacy option supported indefinitely!

It's been over a year since this was implemented as a beta, and it's been pretty obvious it was going to eventually become the only method one way or another. Bit late to be surprised now.

Seriously, if a company ever puts out something testing a 'new' version and the new version doesn't totally flop, it means the old version will one day be on the way out.

I also find it hilarious how many people are planning to quit playing Survivor... because button mashing was taken out of one minor mechanic. Really? That is what goes too far?

• RStrife
    RStrife Member Posts: 3

Other than the tome stuff, I've stopped playing survivor. When I play survivor, my awareness is everywhere at all times. Thanks to the forced 'new wiggle mechanic' my awareness when I'm on the killer's shoulder is now reduced to the skill check only, instead of my surroundings to make proper call outs.

Near 4k hours and 3k of it in survivor; now I have to abandon ship and play killer exclusively. Not that the devs care or anything.

• TheycallmeLix

@Mandy

Can we please get an update on this? Many people really dislike the new wiggle skillcheck mechanic and want a option to use the old wiggle!

• Mandy
    Mandy Administrator, Dev, Community Manager Posts: 22,978
  • TheycallmeLix

Why not?!

That epilepsy thing about doctor got changed, the flashlights got changed cuz many people were complaining, how can this not be changed back yet a lot of people want it reverted.. wow 😔

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,551

It was clear that they would take the old wiggle out when they announced it.

I always didn´t like the new. But a lot obviously never got that you don´t need to spam the buttons, you could press them pretty slowly to get the full effect.

Wiggle was ok - and not another skill check. Already way too much skill checks in game.

And as already said - this is not a very good accessibility feature also. It is pressing space. A good feature would be to hold the button optionally.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,157
    edited January 2023

Epilepsy? - A health problem that didn't have to do with HOW MANY complained

Double locker flashlight? - An unfair mechanic without any counterplay, henceforth it had to be dealt with

A different wiggle mechanic that isn't a button spam anymore? - An inconvenience that most will have forgotten in a few months when they got used to the new system that doesn't destroy keyboards/controller

(Not saying that a parallel implemented option wouldn't have been better. Just bringing the bad examples into a perspective)

• aricidius
    aricidius Member Posts: 3

Completely agree. For those of us who are using controllers and have accessibility issues it doesn't work. We need an option because as it stands I can't wiggle at all so a key part of survivability is gone.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

... button mashing is more accessible than timed button pushing that's a fundamental part of ordinary gameplay?

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,551

A real option should be - hold 1 button to wiggle - or - auto wiggle option.

Some new games have such things like auto Quicktime events and so.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,601

But in a game where QTE’s are actively changing what happens to a match, why would you ever not enable this? Auto QTE’s only work in story focused games, as failing them takes the player out of the experience.

• Lynxx
    Lynxx Member Posts: 510

He's actually right - need to focus on that little skill check to the exclusion of all else now while you could just tap a key yet keep track of surroundings.

• Basement_Bubba420
    Basement_Bubba420 Member Posts: 397

It's too much work for BHvR. They have enough on their plate already.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Because they never give any options, its always this or nothing with BHVR

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210
    edited February 2023

I'm on console, only tried the new wiggles once in the beta tab and was also a bit worried not having an option.

But at least for me it turned out super easy to do with RT and LT as the skillchecks are much bigger now. Only thing what changed is that i'm not really looking around anymore while wiggeling. A plus side effect is, it's better for controllers life span. The old wiggle with the stick broke almost 3 controllers for me, they all had analog stick drifts just from DBD (and fishing in SoT).

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

i mean… they could make it so you have to alternate A and D in rhythm with the skill checks if you want 🤡

but test your might is going away for the benefit of new perks and mechanics as well as removing the bots that turn on rapid fire keys.