The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Solo queue feels bad because of player perspective; quality of teammates is a secondary contributor

TheWheelOfCheese
TheWheelOfCheese Member Posts: 666
edited January 2023 in General Discussions

Here's what I mean.

If you are playing in a SWF and you die, but your 3 teammates live, it's generally a positive experience. Everyone is celebrating. Hooray!

If you are playing solo and you die, but your 3 teammates live, who cares? You don't know them, they don't know you. Are you even sticking around to watch? Probably not.

This is also why you see DCs/suicides more when your teammates are solos.

I don't know if there is a good solution for this, as it requires a mentality change. Some kind of BP bonus for each teammate that escapes even after you are killed might work for some players, and it probably wouldn't work for others.

It would be nice if everyone cared about their rando teammates, but naturally a lot of people won't. Psychology has shown quite conclusively that rewarding people for good behavior works better than punishing them for bad behavior. If there were some way to reward killed survivors based on the overall outcome of the match, I imagine at least some people might start caring, which (for those players) solves two problems at once: they can be happier with dying if their teammates live, and they will probably DC/suicide less.

(I'm not suggesting the DC penalty go away. Rather, it should be viewed as a way to protect players from those who DC, not as a punishment for those who DC.)

Comments