New Killer Negativity

Options

I honestly wasn't expecting to see the such negative reception the new killer is getting. From what I can gather a lot of it has to do with a perceived bad design, peoples expectations being way too high, and supposedly bad gameplay. Has any other killer received this type of attention in the past? I'm fairly new to the DBD community so a lot of this discourse is new to me.

Comments

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762
    Options

I doubt there was a killer as bad as this one tbh, includes ptb.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    Options

Either way I'll give her a play, but it's not what I expected. That being a woman in a lab coat not gonna lie. It's a cool design.

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995
    Options

Yeah they want to get extremely overpowered killers like Blight, so of course everything will be declared as trash.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,208
    edited February 2023
    Options

I don't think expectations were too high, I think expectations were shunted in a very specific direction. This isn't people mad because they expected "better", they expected something different, and something very specifically different at that; people convinced themselves it was going to be a robot/mechanical killer and rather than accept their guess was off the mark, started calling it misleading.

At least in some instances, not everyone.

People are also just incapable of accepting that there are forms of horror that aren't "big slasher man/monster", hence people mad about her aesthetic and claiming she doesn't fit despite that clearly not being true.

Balance is where people are a little more on the mark, she does seem weak- but I've noticed a trend where anything other than a strong chase-oriented power is considered a failure of design and the devs oughtn't have bothered, which is a little frustrating. I love that we have another trap killer and another tracking killer, personally, so I hope she's buffed significantly.

As for reception, we had a lot of these same problems with Trickster's release. Apparently, a bunch of people didn't learn anything from that.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

I dont think her ability is entirely garbage. It definitely needs buffs and quality of life changes to make it on par with other killers so that her play rate isn’t reaching the negatives.

Though people instantly jumping to “The new killer is worse than trapper.” because her ability isn’t solely based around chase is unfair. Having abilities based around the same aspects ruins the fun and we can see that with the way devs have been on a spree with releasing anti-loop killers for the past 1-2 years.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

People are underwhelmed by the power. Off the top of my head, some of the highest pick-rate killers are Huntress, Wesker, Blight, Nurse, Oni, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. They all have a higher mechanical skill cap and they're stronger. Players like fun to use powers and are often underwhelmed by "click button to do the thing" powers.

• Piruluk
    Options

Its true but desired by the playerbase to play as.

I mean most popular playstyle is gen defense.

• Piruluk
    Options
  • Emoba
    Emoba Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 514
    Options

So you've only started playing DBD 3 months ago? The only other 2 killers that got such a reception in the last 2 years were Knight and Sadako.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    edited February 2023
    Options

Because sadly with map design, Gen speed perks, and toolboxes with BNP Gens will fly without some sort of Gen Defense..... either by Killer Power or Perks.

The Skull Merchant really doesn't have the power to fully defend a Gen outside of commiting to a 3Gen

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,897
    Options

It probably also doesn't help that there's a bunch of already angry people hitting the forum after the Eruption nerf. They're not happy with BHVR in general, so..

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

The playerbase doesn´t want to play like this. I would even go as fas as that most players would prefer a more varied build. Instead of stacking slowdown perks and 3 genning.

But when they do, they get simply stomped.

For example, a couple of days ago i completed the "carry a survivor for 160 meters" Archives challenge. Equipped Iron Grip and Agitation. No slowdown perks. Didn´t tunnel. Lost big. Endgame chat: "dude, whats that build?!"

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,605
    Options

The negativity is because the power is maybe the most counterable power of the entire game, the survivors will simply run to another loop, the area of the power is so tiny and also requires direct vision with the survivor, so not useful in strong tiles like jungle gyms or the shack. Only useful in lategame with a three-gen. His power is something like the knight power but way weaker.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

I was thinking she’s a rip off of a badly designed Predator with Freddy Mori animation. Pretty disappointed

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,125
    Options

I can't say I agree with the "people just had too high expectations" argument. To some it may apply - but there are a myriad of things that are completely unrelated to any kind of expectation that are negative.

I for one didn't have any expectations. Design wise I may have exoected sth a little more mecha-style based on the teaser but eh, beyond momentary surprise there was not much of a reaction.

We played (semi seriously) against her on the ptb for about seven hours straight. In the beginning it was very much cheesing escapes. Granted. One or two hours into the ptb no one knows their way around a new killer so it was like going up against any other baby killer - minus the killer having no game sense whatsoever. About five hours in people got a hang of her, got through enough bloodwebs and whatnot to get the builds and add ons that are worth something and started playing more seriously. And lo and behold that was when either securing a second hook stage or death and holding a four gen became very prevalent. With the usual accompanying perks.

The odd innovative use of the drones for stealth purposes was in there -- but so far that seems to be the only interesting/unusual thing. Reminds me a little of stealth portal demo or plaything wesker and the likes. Other than that it was just ... not particularly exciting.

All that aside, the one thing that irks me the most is her movement animation tho. It is just so weird.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    edited February 2023
    Options

Then you have not been in the DBD community very long. You could legitimately make a "Devs: Exist, Everyone: REEE!!" meme out of the overall reactions typical whenever the devs do literally anything.

More seriously, I'm still filtering that knee jerk response from the actual criticisms, so I can't say how much of it is actually valid in this instance

• axonn360
    axonn360 Member Posts: 3
    Options

I started playing back when the snowmen were still around, I wasn't aware of community discourse or game meta at the time.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    Options

Agreed. Definitely one of the most negative reactions I’ve seen to a chapter.

• PowZapBamWoofMeow
    PowZapBamWoofMeow Member Posts: 195
    edited February 2023
    Options

This is “supposed” to be a multiplayer HORROR game that scratches that itch that no other game can scratch.

So most of us ppl who love horror movies/books/comics/manga and other video games want KILLERS to be horror themed killers.

Instead we get some woman with Pig’s claws and Freddy’s Mori animation and it’s just … really?

I want creepy scary horror aesthetic and art. That’s what is so great about the horror genre. It’s monsters. It’s gore. It’s creepy. Weird. Etc etc

This new killer is one I’ll never play but does not invoke horror at all. Either does the knight or knives throwing guy or wesker. But that’s me I guess.

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 877
    Options
  • jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 877
    Options

Yes I'm starting to think the increase in some gens being ridiculously close together wasn't a bug after all - especially as they haven't acknowledged or fixed it yet, to my knowledge.

I had a match on fractured cowshed yesterday with one gen in a cluster of items close to one of the small hills , one by the slope of the hill and one just outside the shack (right next to the hill). It's a good job the killer was overly dedicated to chases because if they'd realised how easy that area was we would never have got anything done.

Even 2 gens are getting overbearing in some ways. I had a match recently on Yamaoka Estate - Main residence with Legion. One gen was in the middle of the map, one was in the far corner of the map (it tool about 10 seconds to run between the two as survivor). There were three of us left with 2 gens and it took us about 15 minutes to get one of them done because she had call of brine and with the time taken to mend/heal a lot of progress is lost - even then that was with me getting bored and overcomitting because I knew I had Adrenaline. But this shouldn't be a situation where 2/3 genning is possible imo. We spread out the gens we did. We were all trying to spread out and do the final two gens. I'm fully supportive of poor planning 3 gens, but there definitely seems to be a move towards them from a design perspective at BHVR at the moment.

• Patrick1088
    Patrick1088 Member Posts: 628
    Options

2022 was decent with killers if you think about it.

1. Sadako: iconic, stealthy and adds slowdown to game with tapes. Perk wise, we got the excellent Call of Brine which is meta right now, Floods of rage (excellent Scourge hook for aura reading) and even Merciless Storm (paired well with Tinkerer before nerf and Doctor, especially lol)

2. Dredge: Fantastic original character and my favorite. Nightfall hinders survivors along with creating slowdown with locking lockers. Perk wise you have the aura reading with locker which benefits Huntress and Trickster. Excellent add ons overall.

I didn't play the next 2 killers just because Splatoon 3/Pokemon came out lol but I still played Dredge every so often

3. Wesker: another big name. I didn't play this chapter, but ik he's a big name in RE

4. Knight: AI guards that can help chase survivors is fun chases. Perk wise Nowhere to Hide is popular. Again didn't play this chapter

This killer has good tracking and the exposed status is interesting. I think I'd prefer Doctor for tracking as madness stops them from doing anything and doctor illusions is tracking that can be so reliable if you understand how they're generated. Obv he can deny actions at loops as well.

• DredgeyEdgey
    DredgeyEdgey Member Posts: 1,321
    Options

Knight kinda got this also but it was mostly about his power nothing about visual. There's allways some bad reactions to a new chapter but none this unified

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,254
    edited February 2023
    Options

Weren't expecting such bad reception? The killer looks out of place and the power is not good. Last time I recall a killer getting such bad reception was Freddy (Freddy before their entire power got reworked) for having a terrible power, Ghostface for being weak and Trickster for being out of place. I admit I felt most of those were justified minus Trickster. I actually felt they did a great job representing a killer who silently blends in within plain site. At least all of those killers had something going for them though.

The killer we're getting has nothing going for them which is concerning because their art team usually hits it out of the park. However given everything we know, the leaks and now the behind the scenes this feels like it was originally a licensed chapter for the movie Prey (Predator Franchise) and the licensed got pulled at the last minute. The mori is a kill from the movie, the survivors looks like the siblings in Prey with some changes just like how when Quentin was released with Nightmare On Elm Street DLC they changed his face just enough to not have to worry about him resembling Quentin's actor. I wouldn't be surprised if the drones were only a fraction of a full power for Predator which is why it feels so lackluster. Even how Merch holds their weapon looks like how Predator's hand would be holding it from prior games even with the subtle finger twitching. Of course I can only say that's speculation but it's hard to believe anything else is the reason for this DLC.

At least the maps are pretty cool but I see no reason to buy the chapter. Not so great perks overall between 3 entire characters, terrible killer and not so interesting survivors. If we're getting a last minute killer due to leaks I would be very sad. If this is genuinely just a fumble from BHVR then okay it happens but it would be sad to think the game is suffering just over leaks.

• SpaghettiVase
    SpaghettiVase Member Posts: 341
    Options

Didn't a lot of people dislike playing blight on launch due to his camera height being like survivor waist level?

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
    Options

Her comic book aesthetic is at least justified in lore. She became a killer because she... read too many edgy comic books.

aight, let's be real, this killer is so lame lmao

• jesterkind
    Options

That's not her lore at all, lol, she became a killer because she's a sadistic stalker who wanted to rid herself of corporate competition and then gained a taste for doing it. One of the cooler killer backstories in a while, as far as I'm concerned.

I think it's fine she took some inspiration from her father's manga, I think that's a neat detail.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911
    edited February 2023
    Options

If you like it, more power to you 😊

I didn't read the whole thing tbh, just one of her descriptions was "she was inspired by the dark mangas created by her father"

I'm in the minority of thinking that the name "Deathslinger" is unironically badass, so if you think she's cool I'm not gonna tell you she's not

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

I don´t know why they are choosing this design decision. But its certainly not fun to play like this. 10-15 minutes should be the total time of the match. Not the time to repair a single gen.

Moving the gens together and creating more 3 gen killers helps against unfun 5 minute matches by turning them into unfun 30 minute matches.

• AJStyIez
    AJStyIez Member Posts: 419
    Options

Sounds like hard copium to be completely honest. Just like you guys claim people are too negative with their expectations, some of you are way too positive most of the time and it shows. It really isn't some deep conspiracy theory as to why this Killer is getting criticized either, its pretty obvious that the chapter is just objectively flawed in about 20 different ways. You guys have to stop looking for little scapegoats every time BHVR takes an L, its okay to call a bad product bad

Its not mindless criticism from people's imagination, its already backed up with visual PTB evidence and video breakdowns of lore/aesthetic/perks and how they fit into the current game. When BHVR does something right they get endless praise for it, keep the same energy when they make a mistake then. Positivity can become toxic just like negativity when you allow it to cloud your judgment on things

• jesterkind
    Options

The only slight sticking point with this take is that this isn't a bad product, though.

Like, what's actually bad about it? The killer's weak? A lot of killers have had bad PTBs, this is no exception. Some of the perks are lacklustre? They can't all be winners, and again, that's not unique. Everything else is personal taste.

Side note, there is definitely an element of expectations running amok. That's mostly the specific complaint that she isn't a cyborg/robot, though.