Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

“Lobby Shopping”

Hey guys,

Id like to discuss experienced killers that dodge lobbies for various reasons. Why do you dodge lobbies? Is it:

The survivors have too many hours? Too many medkits? Private/Anonymous profiles? Sweaty survivor outfits? Toxic personality and gameplay from previous games? Too experienced etc…could be a lot more reasons on top of previously mentioned.

I run with a pretty juicer squad and killers dodge us left right and center BUT when I play killer I sometimes do the same thing… As a double engravings Hillbilly main if I see or know a Swf that pre throws pallets when I’m miles behind them cause Ive played them before.. I’m dodging I’m sorry, I don’t want to play against a boring sweaty Swf that plays for a $20 subway gift card against a Billy. If I’m playing Blight or Huntress I’ll stay reguardless if it’s a strong Swf or not for the most part…

This seems to be imo one of the issues affecting matchmaking for newer/ less experienced killers that don’t know what to look out for when they load into a lobby after veteran killers have already dodged multiple times only to then get steamrolled by the experienced survivors that all the experienced killers dodged..

Should the developers implement a matchmaking penalty for killers that dodge too many lobbies? This is a touchy subjective topic but I feel like it needs to be said..

Comments

• Xyphus
    Xyphus Member Posts: 139

I used to dodge every lobby where four Survivors were already waiting.. That lobby wasn't meant to be mine and I didn't wanna be the backfill just to get their match started and get kicked in the rear end..

By now I take every lobby I get. May it be out of respect for their waiting time or my time or I just got more chilled and don't care anymore about the outcome.. Whatever, I just wanna play :)

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,474

The only time Ill ever dodge a lobby, is because I see some one who has Legacy or an Exclusive cosmetic only obtainable through a steam code who has the crossplay symbol (Im on Steam)

Ive probably only done it a few times, and thats when cheaters were running rampant.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

I don’t mind it too much but prestige levels should probably be hidden at least for killers. All it does is encourage dodging because “obviously if they are P100 they have to be gods at the game”

• Brimp
    Brimp Member Posts: 2,892

Yeah I usually dodge private profiles from the cheating rep this game has. Also high prestige survivors with 4 medkits/toolboxes because that is clearly a lobby that they are expecting to have good chase interactions with a random 115 killer. Now if I'm blight sure I'll play that just maybe take off one of my casual addons for a single speed.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

A lot of Survivors suicide against other Killers just because they don't like them. I'm not sure that's a good argument, largely because Blight is the only one whose source of huge imbalance (addons) is comparable to the lobby stuff.

The lobby part is the eternal issue where two lobbies of identical MMR and perks could have all good items and be a SWF group, vs no items, and no SWF. And the significance of four high-rarity medkits with good add-ons is way higher than the impact of add-ons on basically every other Killer. Plus the part where SWF and no SWF all end up treated identically (and things can get all sorts of weird with SWF and solo MMR being the same thing)

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Skip every buffer lobby, I'd rather play a level match then be the freebie mmr tries to hand out. F the buffer zone of mmr.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,706

Usually because of 3 medkits, tbh. Depending on the killer I can either use Franklin’s or dodge.

I won’t dodge over prestige alone unless it’s a full P100 squad. But prestige shouldn’t be visible to killers in the lobby anyways.

• Warlord1981NL
    Warlord1981NL Member Posts: 262
    edited February 2023

Yes, because when a P100 switches to a new character then I can still tell... Oh wait, I can't... Your prestige level doesn't matter and is never a reason I'd decline a lobby.

• MadEyePopo
    MadEyePopo Member Posts: 138

I know you are talking about "exerienced" killers, whereas I just started playing DBD about a year ago. I think BHVR is trying to do something about this, at least in the lower ranks.

For instance, on rate occasions I will run a Med Kit with the Built To Last perk. Almost every time, I get matched with a killer that is running Iron Maiden. I am not convinced that survivor builds is not a factor in choosing which lobby a killer gets sent to.

As for killers dodging a lobby as their only recourse, I disagree. the game now allows you to have 3 different loadouts pre-prepared. On some of my killers, I have load-outs that contain Franklin's and/or Lightborn for when I see 3 or 4 flashlights in a lobby. Much more fun and fast to switch to a new load-out than to dodge and re-queue.

• MadEyePopo
    MadEyePopo Member Posts: 138

A dodging killer perhaps just wants to be able to get to Iri 1 as fast as possible. Personally, I can never get to even Gold 2 and I play close to 100 matches per month.

The de-pipping is the top thing that needs to change with this game. If a killer player knew that they wouldn't get punished with de-pipping after getting steam-rolled by sweaty SWFs, I am pretty sure they would be more willing to use that match to test their skills and even have fun instead of dodging and stressing about it.

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 541

Yea but perks and loadouts don’t really play a determining outcome for a win if the killer is inexperienced compared to the experienced survivors they go up against..

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

It's almost unheard of for me to dodge because I don't care at all. I also do other stuff while in queue. So, in general, I just hear the final countdown and then I'm in the match. The only time I might really consider it is if I'm playing Nemesis and I see multiple flashlights. I don't want to bring Franklin's because it has a very unfair way of working. And in general my build is half info, so I don't feel guilty of preying.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,750

I just wish all the dodging didn't end up borking the matchmaking so badly. We all know they prioritize lobby time over MMR quality. We all know the system just grabs the next available killer once a certain timeframe passes. And we all know those backfills usually result in a newby killer being rolled by veteran survs.

We are actively doing it to ourselves, knowing it'll mess up matchmaking and lead to horrible new player experiences. And we do it anyway, to benefit ourselves and/or protest other aspects of the game.

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 541

I really do feel that this is a reason why the killer experience is miserable for most.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,218

I don't dodge anything unless there's a really obvious cheater. Obviously dodging if I load in and see Leatherface standing there with the survivors. But otherwise I welcome any challenge.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

Only time I dodge is if I see a ttv and I'm trying something that I struggle with. My learning experience is not going to be entertainment for someone else's audience. Aside from that, I pretty much will take on whatever. I might adjust my loadout depending on what I'm dealing with, but generally nothing really bothers me.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,885
    edited February 2023

Yeah, some BS hijinks almost always follow; I almost always dodge those. It's not that it's a challenge, it's that it's rarely even an earnest game. They're looking to put on some sort of show.

Just last night I was spacing and didn't realize until too late that I had loaded into a lobby with 3 ttvs and what must have been a fourth friend with them (I was playing Trapper, no less), and it was not fun. I got a 4K, but two ended up being bleedouts (out of necessity), and it was like 25 minutes of a whole lotta not fun.

For me, that's the usual sort of ttv SWF experience, so I dodge.

Or even if I just want to play a chill game with a low-mid tier killer, if the lobby looks full of juicers, I sometimes dodge.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016
    edited February 2023

I have a habit of dodging lobbies with survivors over prestige 20

And dodging ttvs

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

I mean, I never dodge unless I actually need to get up from my pc. 4 med-kits or whatever else just gives me a reason to run alch-ring, I can be guilt free about it in a lobby like that.

• BenOfMilam
    BenOfMilam Member Posts: 911

I pretty much only dodge players with default EGS names (e.g. "Player10508678330") or people with non-legit Legacy or Legacy and private profile, since they are usually cheaters.

I also dodge lobbies with multiple Blendettes and Blendadams, since the game is going to be an obscenely boring walking simulator for most of the match.

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

Fix the backfilling with less experienced killer players and there isn't really a problem imo

• Sometimes_Sage
    Sometimes_Sage Member Posts: 144

I dodge when I get backfilled and I will continue to do so until the "backfilling overrides MMR" mechanic gets changed.

I also dodge SWF groups and I will continue to do so until some kind of anti-bully squad mechanic gets added.

• Thusly_Boned

I guess I don't even really notice experience; I don't check profiles or anything, only really notice if it's all ttvs, or outfit coordinated, etc. Other than that, I just roll with whatever I draw.

I even see other survs lobby hop when there is a blendette or two already in lobby, that's no fun for anyone.

• RainehDaze

Generally, if you load into a lobby with four Survivors with everything already loaded, you've probably been selected to fill in a lobby someone's already left, or that's been waiting for ages.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Agreed but that doesn’t stop people from leaving due to prestige level. I don’t personally but I’ve seen it in basically every lobby with a P80-100 person

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,139
    edited February 2023

I don't really lobby dodge as killer. I don't even pay attention to lobbies as killer. I just don't play if I decide I'm not having fun in a match. I could probably get some idea whether or not it's a match I'd want to play in if I paid attention to lobbies but if I'm not using offerings or add-ons then there's really no reason to care, and after that it's up to the survivors whether they want a fast match or a slow match because I don't get in the way of them doing gens. I guess that protects any killer who would've ended up with those survivors instead, though I'm not sure how the survivors in the match feel about it, but it's a free win, some DC but the majority don't.

I do however lobby shop as a survivor. A TTVer? Probably not. Two Claudettes in dark clothing? No. Two Feng Mins dressed like trolls? No. Two survivors with flashlights? No. If there were some kind of huge penalty for dodging lobbies as survivor, I'd just go in and cleanse bones for points until the killer hooks me that way I can earn some BP and XP while bypassing any matchmaking penalty.

• Thusly_Boned

Oh, I get that, but I generally don't care much, unless they're all TTVs. I'm usually only peripherally paying attention until the actual match starts to load. I typically prioritize just getting into my next match asap.

• JustWhimsical
    JustWhimsical Member Posts: 590

P100 usually means they brought a map offering if im being honest, cant remember the last time I saw a P100 in the lobby and there wasn't a map offering for ormond or badham lol.

• Thusly_Boned

I really feel where you're coming from, but I feel like lobby shopping isn't worth it.

MMR is a disaster, I guess I've just sort of given up on matchmaking. It's just all over the place.

Like yesterday I played one match with two P100s and two others who were 50+, the match was a hard fought draw, and the next match with the same killer I went against four certified babies (P0, yellow/green perks, totally clueless). When the matchmaking is that ineffective, is there really a point to lobby dodging?

It's just spinning the big wheel of randomness, really. Total crapshoot at this point.

• RainehDaze

Yeah, but I know what I'm getting into if it's instant backfill into a full team with full items and prestige, so... better a gamble than that.

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

I don't dodge anything.

I try to make sure to tab back over to see the offerings so I can get ready for the match.

If I cared about not having a bad experience I'd dodge:

TTV marked players.

Full lobbies.

2+ of the exact same cosmetics.

4 of any survivor add on.

If 3+ players enter the lobby I'm wating in at the same time.

Anyone whose steam profile has only 1 game listed.

Anyone whose steam profile lists a ban of any type at any time.

Chinese character only names.

prestige level doesn't correspond with anything in my experience, the above stuff tends to indicate something is going to suck about this match.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,494

Sweaty oufits and high prestige levels make me dodge lobbies if im not looking sweaty match. Usually I also dodge 4 toolboxes.

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

Sure if the same penalty applies to survivors choosing to "dodge" games by dying on first hook if they don't like the killer/map/perks the killer is running. Two slightly different flavors of "Im not going to play vs this"

• oxygen
    oxygen Member Posts: 3,309

I'm very glad they added the little sound when matchmaking finds a match, that way I can tab back into the game and actually ready up instead of only tabbing back in once I hear the match actually starting with the sound effect during the initial camera spin.

The only time I'd ever dodge is if I somehow get in a lobby with someone I saw with my own eyes cheating recently enough to actually remember them though, so I can't remember the last time I did as a result. Not necessarily telling people to not dodge for the sake of unknown strangers, but do be aware a lot of matches where you feel like you either vastly outskill your opposition or you're vastly outskilled is because someone dipped and matchmaking grabbed the first available player to not keep the rest of the lobby waiting.

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,123

I dodge if I’m doing dailies on a Killer I’m not experienced with like Artist or Bubba

• maximo99ac
    maximo99ac Member Posts: 164

swf

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
    edited February 2023

Because killers can see what they're going to play against, anything harder to win to dodge.

Survivors have to commit to a match the moment they press Ready without knowing they're about to play againt 4 slowdown Nurse.

Remove the ability to see survivors in lobby will fix that problem.

Not that I dont want killer to see survivors in lobby, they should, but doesnt mean killers have the privilege to dodge lobby while survivors have to commit.

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

If que time is so long and population is so unbalanced to the point lobby dodging becomes the problem, that's a game balance and que issue, not the killer issue I think.

game is not even started and I don't think people has to play that game.

• Witchubtet
    Witchubtet Member Posts: 640

I Dodge If I can smell what perks are being ran. Most obnoxious survivors will use the flashiest of cosmetics. So if I see more than two I’ll go find a different lobby.

• TigerSnake
    TigerSnake Member Posts: 531

Because I want to have fun. I’m usually willing to take on most lobbies I see, but sometimes I want a chill match that won’t annoy me and I’ll dodge lobbies that look like they’re not going to provide that experience. No matter what though, comp/clan players will probably always be an instant dodge for me as they are generally not nice people.

• SpaghettiVase
    SpaghettiVase Member Posts: 341

If i see a p100 or a ttv I dodge. Simple as.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482

Damn, so many of y’all dodge for minor stuff… 😂😂 Crazy. Just play the match!

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,271

For the most part I came here to appreciate the irony of killers finding it absolutely okay to dodge based on the first impression they get ... and survivors being judged for doing the same. It's just that survivors don't get to find out until the match has started. If survs could see add-on grades of the killer as survivor I would think a lot of killers would suddenly find themselves being dodged a lot....

Now that being said, back to topic. I don't dodge as killer because of loadouts or cosmetics or hours. I occasionally dodge against profiles that have a vac entry in the not too distant past or people with extremely questionable names/profile pictures/bios (e.g. those referencing a certain man with an iconic moustache ...). Stuff like that. I just don't want to associate with these people in any way.