The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Dead Hard - What are your problems with it?

2»

Comments

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,432

What you describe is precisely why the perk needs to be reworked entirely. You shouldn't say "it should be strong because sometimes it doesn't work because of lag" they should fix both aspects of it because that is dumb.

Secondly, when i talk about tunnel, i mean right off the hook. If someone hits me with dead hard, the best play is for me to down them, and the proxy camp near a 3 gern, and then as soon as they get unhooked, i immediately hit them to get them into deep wounds, then hard tunnel them right off the hook, so i don't have to deal with the dead hard.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

"The true test, in my opinion, is if DH users survive significantly more than people using SB and Lithe"

We already know that to be the case. Have someone play a killer and pick the perks to use vs two teams. The first team can have DH and the second team can have SB/Lithe/Overcome.

We already know that DH overall gives that team more time in chase against the majority of killers. How much time? It's at least twice as good compared to the other exhaustion perks.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

But we don't know that since we don't have the data. From a purely subjective viewpoint I don't see a large difference in survival between DH users and SB or Lithe users when playing Killer. I don't use DH as a survivor because I suck at it but, pre 6.1, I would use it at Iri grades to help pip up and I did notice a huge difference in survival rates. It was definitely a crutch and OP then.

Now using DH over SB hurts my survival rates when playing Survivor. It might be much better but I don't see it in my matches as Killer. Maybe I'm just better at countering it now since I have a few more months of experience I didn't have then

The team idea is interesting but it's too small of a sample size to really draw any inferences. Realistically the playerbase does not have enough data to draw a clear inference one way or another.

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

It shouldn’t be an endurance and exhaustion perk in my opinion. It should be a consumable perk like deliverancr/decisive strike.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,520

Press a button to save a health state every 40 seconds, why would anyone have a problem with that?

• DBDVulture

-"Realistically the playerbase does not have enough data to draw a clear inference one way or another."

We most certainly do. We can take games From Otz and Truetalent and look at how well they do in a chase - not escape rates. I can tell you without a doubt DH gives more time than SB and Lithe in a chase when you look at very good players using both perks. DH gives a better outcome in at least 7/10 chases. Against certain killers like Blight, Nurse and Huntress where the attack window for DH is extremely simple - DH does massively better.

-"Now using DH over SB hurts my survival rates when playing Survivor. It might be much better but I don't see it in my matches as Killer."

Not trying to draw shade but lets consider that the best players tend to use DH way more often. If you're not seeing many people use DH then you're probably not at the top of the food chain for killer. I am guessing you are not regularly playing against 5,000-10000 hour players. I am guessing you are not usually seeing people who are part of DBD tournament play in your matches.

I can say that I play against all of the above with regular frequency.

In my matches I see people use SB and while it can be helpful it can't extend a chase like DH can. The same goes for Lithe. The most time/distance you can get with SB/Lithe in the optimal situation is how long it takes for me to catch up. The best case scenario for DH is that you can avoid a down and run to a pallet then run to 3-4 more pallet which you instantly throw.

I recently had such a game vs 2 tournament players on crow map. And while I still won the game - it was DH that let one player throw about 5 pallets in one chase while on death hook. She made the chase go long but she didn't give them enough time to finish the last generator. To their credit they had at least three times in the match where one generator was at 95% or more and it was reset to at least 50% progress or lower (no I wasnt using eruption).

• TheSubstitute

First, Otz and TruTalent are way too small of a sample size to draw inferences.

Second of all you misread my other point. I see DH all the time. I don't see DH provide a significant survival advantage over SB. If I didn't see DH often then I wouldn't have needed to say maybe I'm just better at countering it (DH) now to explain why it could still provide a significant advantage but I don't see that advantage. I have no idea if your guesses are accurate but, on the Killers I don't farm with, I don't really see a large difference between the survivors I face and the survivors I see streamers face when I have the time to watch their videos

To be honest, I really doubt you face 5K to 10K hour tournament players most games and think that's an exaggeration. The softcap is too low for the top tier death squads every match. That's evidenced by how long the queue times were before the softcap.

I might be wrong and there might be enough 5K to 10K tournament players that are only at 1600 to 1800 MMR to be regularly encountered. I don't check profiles before matches since I don't care to so I have no idea how many hours the people I face have nor do I know the names of DbD tournament players as, for me personally, I feel that paying attention to tournament DbD would be a waste of time that I can put to better use. I do get 4 person TTV SWFs (which are more obvious since they have TTV in their names) fairly regularly if that means anything.

It sounds more like you have a personal agenda against DH. That's fine but it doesn't change the fact that any evidence out there for or against is entirely anecdotal and that there is no data available to the general playerbase to show if DH does provide an overly significant statistical survival advantage. That's an objective, not subjective, statement. BHVR hasn't released the data and they're the only ones that have it.

• DBDVulture

-"First, Otz and TruTalent are way too small of a sample size to draw inferences."

That's not true considering the volumes of games they normally play of killer every day over a 6+ hour stream. I say normally because TT is playing killer by sell out right now because he is fed up with the role atm.

-"It sounds more like you have a personal agenda against DH."

You need to watch some of the better streamers and see how little counterplay it leaves for Nurse/Blight/Huntress/etc. You need to see how much it punishes m1 killers when used well by a survivor.

Compare that to SB and you get usually 1/3 the advantage with SB that you do with DH against someone that knows what they are doing on both ends.

I play in a way that somewhat trivializes DH because it's not fun to play against. If I know you have it I will hit you immediately off the hook so you can't use it. I also tend to play with STBFL because DH is so ubiquitous.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729

Against SB & Lithe you're not stuck in the attack cooldown while they're running for 3s with 150% speed.

On DH you're slowed down while they get the normal injured 1.8s speedboost despite them already being injured.

M1's and M2's both suffer more from DH than any other exhaust perk.

for ex. Victor getting the attack cooldown and being kicked due to how telegraphed his attack is.

Pinhead's meme addon Original Spain ended up being his best addon due to how it functions against new DH, OTR & other Endurance perks.

• TheSubstitute

If you think that two people constitute a sufficient sample size for DbD then you don't understand statistics. Also, if you know of streamers that are better than Otz, Dowsey, Scott Jund and SpooksNJukez but are just as entertaining I'll take a look at them but those are currently the only streamers I watch.

Another possibility is that I'm just better at reading people and countering DH than you are and that's why we see different outcomes. It doesn't really matter though as when I say I don't notice an increase in survivability of DH over SB I can only speak to my own personal perception and guess from there as are you when you say that SB is 1/3 as effective as DH. That's not you pointing to data; that's just guessing and making up a figure with no data to support it. It's not facts.

The reality is that neither of us know if DH is fine or not since we don't have the data. The difference is that I'm saying I don't know and you're trying to state an opinion as fact when it's just an opinion.

• DBDVulture

-"If you think that two people constitute a sufficient sample size for DbD then you don't understand statistics."

Let's do some math. Two skilled plaeyrs with 8-9k hours playing 15-20 games per day. Let's say 30 games a day between the two of them over 30 days. After 90 days you have a sample size of 2,700. That's definitely an "ok" sample size for looking at high level play.

-"Another possibility is that I'm just better at reading people and countering DH than you are"

You're projecting. I could say : well maybe Im just better at telling when to let go of a generator so I never get hit with an eruption.

As an idea DH has a fundamental higher potential than both SB and Lithe in the same way that Nemesis has a higher potential than Trapper (and likewise Blight has over Nemesis).

-"The reality is that neither of us know if DH is fine or not"

Before 6.0 and After DH was being used way too often by the very best players. Ruin has been hard nerfed twice as a result.

For something like 4 years DS was in a really oppressive place where it could be weaponized by good players. Now it's on par with some of the other perks liek flip flop where if everything goes perfectly wrong for the killer then they might not get a hook. That's good balance.

DH needs to be risky and offer more reward than SB/Lithe or it needs to be a lot weaker in terms of game impact but stronger with a single use. Making it work once per game would potentially put it weaker in some ways/stronger in others when compared to SB/Lithe.

• Vampwire
    Vampwire Member Posts: 709

It's just that it's such a boring perk. I don't even wait it out that much anymore because I just hate waiting forever until they DH. Chases with DH suck because in the split second you would have got the survivor they make it so they escape anyways. It's also nearly uncounterable at pallets without good ping. The only thing that's kept me sane is maining Deathslinger. He's good enough to compete but also doesn't worry about DH ever.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,923
    1. You see it in every game.
    2. Its very good.
    3. its not in line with usage of other Survivor perks.

A better solution to Dead Hard is...Separate Endurance Qualities into two effects

Flight = Speed boost after a damaging hit, after unhook or from regular Exhaustion Perks.

Endurance or Braced = the Ability to take a hit without going down, Dead Hard and after unhook.

Dead Hard keeps Endurance, but you dont get to have a speedboost AND a hit negation.

This should easily bring Dead Hard down to level with other Exhaustion Perks.

• ARTRA
    ARTRA Member Posts: 938

BHVR wants to nerf DH.

DH press E and block the nerf.

Thats how good it is.

• TheSubstitute

It's not a sufficient sample size and, even if it were, that would be a different issue as the issue would now be should BHVR balance around the top players? On that my position is that they're a factor but not the only factor and the other factors would have to be considered as well.

Maybe, if Dead Hard is an issue, BHVR can use your balancing idea. I really don't care if DH gets changed or not. I almost never use it, and I don't personally see it as a problem, but it might be a problem. My entire main point in our discussion has been nobody, outside of BHVR, knows if it is or not. The data is just not available to us.

• DBDVulture

-"I really don't care if DH gets changed or not. I almost never use it"

NOED used to be a perk you never took off because it lasted forever and gave you 9% movement speed. I wonder why it got nerfed?

DH was being used by 75% of the best players before 6.0 and it is still being used in the same frequency after. We have web sites that track data about DBD - go have a look.

DH is used way too often to not be nerfed. And this time it needs a real nerf, not a "kid glove" tap on the wrist.

• TheSubstitute

Honestly, your arguments are very similar to the more vehement anti-Nurse posters whom I've argued with that say Nurse needs a full rework and is uncounterable and totally 'broken'. She's not broken in my opinion and there is no data available to show she is but the more vehement anti-Nurse posters continue pulling at whatever anecdotes they can as 'evidence'. This is what you're doing with DH.

There is no data available showing DH is an issue. The data may exist but we don't have it. There are other reasons why DH is run more and why people complain more about DH such as DH is more fun for the survivors than SB but also less fun for the Killer. Due to how incredibly OP it was pre 6.1 more people might like it due to familiarity than they like SB. It might be perceived as more of a skill expression than SB, regardless if it is or not, and a significant amount of gamers are vain about skill.

Are these major factors in the pick rate? I don't know and neither do you.

If your opinion is that it should be nerfed because it's widely used that's your opinion. I disagree because I feel that Pop Goes the Weasel pre 6.1 promoted healthier gameplay than the current meta and that Ruin at 200% regression with the current deactivation conditions would be the ideal anti-gen perk for both sides and the regression should have never been nerfed. I don't think shaking up the meta just to shake it up should be the only goal but, if it matters to you, BHVR disagrees with me and agrees with your opinion about high usage rates and it's their game so they may nerf it in the future on that basis anyway.

To return to my main point, though, we don't have the data. If your goal is to try to convince me that DH is an issue that won't happen unless we see data and is kind of irrelevant anyway as BHVR will make their decision regardless of if individual posters agree or not.

• DBDVulture

-"your arguments are very similar to the more vehement anti-Nurse posters"

Where is this coming from? It's irrelevant and unrelated. DH had a high use vaules before the perk rework and it has high use after the perk rework by the best players. Nurse has counterplay but requires the survivors to do something besides mindlessly running the loop like they can vs killers with no antiloop.

The only argument to keep DH strong that had any merit was that pre-nerf nurse with stupidly broken addons left zero room for counterplay. Well that nurse element is gone b/c those addons do not exist anymore (and rightly so).

Pop was unfairly gutted. DH was made stronger in some ways and weaker in others. If Pop had gotten the DH treatment it would hit a generator at 95% for like 40% total progress removed.

I agree with you that Pop was healthy for the game. In fact I believe Pop should have been base kit at something like 15% progress. And then let people use and extra 20% total (not current progress) if they take the perk.

-"There is no data available showing DH is an issue."

Look at the vods of good streamers and look how many survivors use it to good effect. It's common to see 3/4 players playing with or against True using it. That is dumb. Look at the website tracking perk use in DBD. We can se DH has an absurd pick rate.

-"it should be nerfed because it's widely used"

This all on its own is problematic reasoning. Wide spread use however is often a symptom of a problem that should be looked at. There is no scenario where you can make DH worse than Head On. Head On is actually not bad; if you use it in the right scenario it can be extremely rewarding but has more risk. Over the majority of games however DH is easier to use and not only that it is easier to create a lot more wasted time for the killer.

The bottom line is that DH should not be wasting more time than any other exhaustion perk - we know that it does. Therefore the perk should either get nerfed to make it in line with all the others OR it should have a penalty to make someone think twice about using it. Needing +100% longer to heal would be a big penalty and that would go a long way to prevent the third health state.

-"we don't have the data"

Ok sure whatever. You can throw your head in the sand if you want. For 4-5 years we were told : SWF offers no advantage. And then on the 6th year we learned that SWF offers up to a 15% increased escape rate. That's an insane difference. Freddy was absolutely ruined for having a 4% higher kill rate.

And what do survivors get? Nerfs to SWF? No they get bufs to make everyone have massive info as if they were in a SWF. What do killers get : nothing except lots of stress and annoying games.

• DBDVulture

-"A better solution to Dead Hard is...Separate Endurance Qualities into two effects"

Can you clarify this a bit?

Unlike most of the people in this thread you see the problem but that's clear in your three point breakdown.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,923

Well, we all know you get to take a hit AND get speed boost from that hit, if you hit a Dead Hard. buts its way to easy to pull off. With a little bit of skill you can get some real good value out of it. My suggestion is to make sure Dead Hard only has one of those two.

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,302

Renders a killers power useless at the click of a button. I play Oni and Knight, both of whom get screwed over by it. Guard triggers it or I land a demon strike which ends up doing nothing and wasting my power gauge. Having to sniff a survivors backside waiting for its usage is rather ridiculous also.

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995

Its essentially a third health state for survivors about 3 out 4 survivors runs it.

Its extremely annoying to deal with, its overpowered and needs a proper nerf, makes chases last very long

• TheSubstitute
    edited February 2023

Being one sided and doing an us versus them argument still doesn't make evidence. You still don't understand what a sample entails and that's okay but that still doesn't make an opinion fact.

Edit: The other item that is showing that your viewpoint is very biased, similar to the 'there's no counterplay' against Nurse when there objectively is (similar to saying DH can't be countered when it can be) is that I have already said from the beginning DH might be an issue. If you're not incredibly biased why are you spending so much time arguing with someone who says 'there could be an issue but I don't have the data for it' with your anecdotal stories? The OP asked what are your problems with it. I answered for myself. Just because you have a problem with DH doesn't mean everyone experiences the same thing.

• DBDVulture

-"Just because you have a problem with DH doesn't mean everyone experiences the same thing."

Dead Hard is an overtuned perk similar to the way that NOED was overtuned in 2016 (not quite as much though). I can recognize that the perk is too strong and not have a "personal problem" handling it.

My favorite counter to dead hard is hard tunneling+STBFL+ hitting people as soon as they get off the hook. What dead hard? If you tunnel someone like this they get to use the perk once per game. You should not need to play that way against the perk.

Furthermore DH should not be able to give you a third health state.

-"You still don't understand what a sample entails"

Generally speaking 1000 is a moderately decent sample size. I think it's you who has the issue with statistics.

-"similar to saying DH can't be countered when it can be"

Imagine you're chasing me at a pallet and you can lunge to hit me before I get to the pallet. If you choose to attack then I use DH and you get nothing. Where's the counter? You don't swing and I don't use my DH so I just go around the loop again.

The only time you can counter DH is when they are out in the open and you've gotten so close that you can do an m1 tap. Almost nobody can really react that fast due to latency. And if they do react well then I have STBFL. The tiny distance doesn't matter because they are in the open and I will hit them again in a few seconds.

But here's the issue with all that: knowing that DH exists makes most killers wait 5-7 seconds of close distance and sometimes another 2-3 seconds for hesitation. In other words - just because Dead Hard exists it can waste 7-10 seconds per chase. If each game has 10 chases then that is 70 seconds wasted without a successful dead hard. That's completely ridiculous.

Before DH existed you got in range for a lunge and you attacked. Most of the time you immediately hit the player. DH ruined the chase experience in a lot of ways just because it exists.

Imagine if there were a killer power that removed skill checks. You can't use Hyeprfocus anymore because there are no skillchecks. You don't get to reduce the generator time by 1.2 seconds every time you hit a great skillcheck. You can't use autodidact anymore (not that anyone is really using it). Strangely enough it would be a decent perk vs good players because you would make them take about ~40 seconds longer to finish all the generators on average.

All this might sound really dumb but a lot of people don't really stop and think about how much DH changed the game.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

My only issue with it is that some killer powers are too easy to DH. Dh are still be played around near pallets but it's just in the survivors favor instead of the killers when you're in the open

• TheSubstitute

You have an issue with DH and don't like the perk. That's fine but, once again, that's your opinion and it may or may not reflect reality. I work with data all the time but, hey, if you think a few streamers constitute a sample size that's representative of DbD as a whole you do you. You're only really discrediting your own arguments by going 'No!!! DH is such a problem!' to somebody who is neutral about the issue.

• Basement_Bubba420
    Basement_Bubba420 Member Posts: 397
    edited February 2023

It's literally not two people. Over hundreds of games between the two and there thousands of people.

Why do you think it's two people when there are 5 people in EVERY game?

If we look at 500 games for both of them played over the last month or so we have.... 4000 people.

DH is a problem. The stated goal of the rework was to "address the problematic nature of gaining distance..." and that "Dead Hard's intended use is to dodge hits by timing it correctly".

Well it's still used to gain distance. You get 2m of free distance when you use. In fact, its even longer if you consider reaction times.

Killer is 6m away from survivor. Survivor is 6m away from pallet. Survivor can DH any lunge (1 second lunge time for killer, average human reaction time is .25 seconds)

Killer is 6m away from the survivor. Survivor is 10m away from pallet. If the killer lunges immediately, same situation as before.

If the killer waits 1 second. Killer is 5.4m away from survivor. Survivor is 6m away from pallet. Survivor has smaller window to react but still plenty of time. If the Killer waits 2 seconds, Killer is 4.8m away from the survivor. Survivor is 2m away from pallet. DH distance away.

If the survivor couldn't interact with anything for a time period after using dead hard, so that they actually lose distance to a point, then it would have been a rework. Right now it's just the same thing with endurance. The extra 2.2m really isn't the issue. It's the interactability afterwards. The problem still exists. They completely missed it.

EDIT: Please explain why you keep referring to a "few streamers" when the totality of their games over a given period is likely to include hundreds if not thousands of other people as valid data entries. We are keeping one thing consistent (generalized killer skill) and the only variable is the survivors. Certainly it would be easier to measure the effects of DH when we have less variables, right? Am I missing something? Can you bring in something from data analytics to show why I am wrong?

• TheSubstitute
    edited February 2023

Streamers do not represent the entirety of DbD's skill levels unless you're arguing that DbD should be balanced exclusively around streamers. They're not a representative population.

As well, you're not showing the survival rates of survivors with the same level of experience with SB or Lithe versus the survival rates of survivors with DH.

Instead, cherry picked situations are being described instead of using actual escape rates to show how DH over SB or Lithe increases survival rates in a statistically significant manner. Somebody could also describe cherry picked situations in which SB, Lithe or BL is better than DH but that means nothing either.

You can't because the data hasn't been released and so, instead of data, we get statements that are false such as 'DH is a third health state' which precludes the possibility of the Killer countering DH or the DH user messing up. DH can give an extra hit but it quite often doesn't.

If you want to say you can 'prove' DH is OP then get a sample of Killers that is representative of the DbD playerbase, compare survival rates between the survivors that use DH and those that use SB and Lithe, determine if there is a statistically significant difference in survival rates between those groups and if there is a variance in survival rates in different MMR groups and make inferences about game balance from there (and also let the data lead you to a conclusion instead of trying to make the data fit a conclusion).

If that sounds impossible that's because that's exactly my point. We don't have the data. We can't access or collect the data. BHVR has the data. All we have are opinions.

If you cannot admit the possibility that perhaps your opinion on whether DH is overpowered is wrong then you have a bias and attempting to argue you have facts when you have opinions that just discredits your arguments as you're not even trying to be objective. I mean, I've stated multiple times that I haven't seen a huge issue with DH in my games but there's a possibility it still needs a nerf and yet I'm getting constant arguments from people who can't accept someone who takes a neutral stance on the subject based on their own personal experiences. You think DH is op. That's your opinion. That's cool. You might be right. However, you only have an opinion, not a fact. That's my entire point. I'm not even defending DH. I'm relating my personal experience and saying I haven't seen the issue but there could still be one and it might (or might not) need a nerf. Why is that so hard to accept?

• Basement_Bubba420
    • "Streamers do not represent the entirety of DbD's skill levels unless you're arguing that DbD should be balanced exclusively around streamers. They're not a representative population."

The streamers themselves don't but the survivors do. AFAIK, the MMR system prioritizes time spent in queue which is why there are alot of matches that result in complete stomps for one side. This information was from a while ago (6 months+) but they haven't announced any matchmaking changes since then so I would assume its the same.

Also, the data doesn't include just the streamers. It's the thousands of other people that play with them as well. These people are of various skill levels. The other people that play with them are representative of the population. It's ridiculous to say "it's only two people" when the previous poster mentioned utilizing the games they played. It's a strawman argument and its what you initially suggested is wrong with the data.

• "As well, you're not showing the survival rates of survivors with the same level of experience with SB or Lithe versus the survival rates of survivors with DH."

Survival rates aren't my point of contention with the perk. Review my post. They failed their original design goal and the perk still functions as before the rework. Anyway, your contention seems to be that survival rates should be the main measure of whether or not a perk is OP. I disagree and I'll explain why later.

• You can't because the data hasn't been released and so, instead of data, we get statements that are false such as 'DH is a third health state' which precludes the possibility of the Killer countering DH or the DH user messing up. DH can give an extra hit but it quite often doesn't.

Agreed. BHvR has been terrible with their data. They obviously cherry pick what they want to show. If they just made an API the players would do the analysis for them and they wouldn't need to spend time and money on it.

• If you want to say you can 'prove' DH is OP then get a sample of Killers that is representative of the DbD playerbase, compare survival rates between the survivors that use DH and those that use SB and Lithe, determine if there is a statistically significant difference in survival rates between those groups and if there is a variance in survival rates in different MMR groups and make inferences about game balance from there (and also let the data lead you to a conclusion instead of trying to make the data fit a conclusion).

I can't prove DH is OP with statistics. I can prove they failed their own goal of the rework. BHvR would actually need to release the statistics in totality for any analysis is done. Until then we can only speculate on statistics and make conclusions from the perk themselves. My conclusion is that the Dead Hard rework was a failure and thusly still overpowered. It's based on the total utility provided by the perk. I don't care if the majority of survivors that use it are complete potatos and fail every time. It's OP on paper. That's bad enough.

Anyway, to your point about survival rates being the main measure of OPness I disagree.

Think about OOO. Used in solo it's terrible and survivors who use it deserve to be tunneled. Used in a SWF it's very good. It's free info for the group and outright counters stealth killers. There is minimal downside especially considering you have a group to help you resist the killer. The perk itself had a low survival rate according to Almo and thusly wasn't overpowered. Well that's partially true. It did have a lower survival rate. It was an absolute menance in SWF though and brought about way too much utility. Because now all the information gained is spread throughout the team and the team can plan and react accordingly.

So, I think it can be fairly stated that the main measure of a perk's OPness is the actual description of the perk itself. The survival rates are a side effect of the OPness. As a thought experiment, imagine a perk that provided complete and permanent immunity 1% of the time at the start of a trial. The survival rate of the users wouldn't change much, but when it does activate it is definitely OP. We can look at the perk itself to determine its OPness. We don't need data in this case, the case of OOO, or the case of DH.

Anyway, what is your opinion on the thought experiment? Is it inconclusive because we don't have the data, or if the data shows survival rates haven't changed is it not OP?

• TheSubstitute

Your thought experiment has no relevance to DH though. DH, at no point in time, grants invulnerability for the entire match. It can be countered and is countered whereas your thought experiment perk has no counter and is entirely RNG based. To compare apples to apples DH needs to be compared to other chase perks. It's not a perk like Object Of Obsession either. Being in a SWF doesn't automatically make DH better. It's a chase perk. I don't experience any issues with DH users over SB users which is a comparable perk. Apples to apples.

Also, the streamers themselves are not representative of any group but streamers and people at their MMR. In any event, you still don't have any data showing how many DH users escape over how many SB users escape. Saying that streamers are not representative of the entire population is a fact as the majority of players are not at 2000 MMR or up.

Even if you want to use the survivors at the soft cap, which is probably a third of the player base but that's just a guess using the population distributions of other elo games, they aren't representative of the entire survivor population. Unless, of course, you're saying lower MMRs shouldn't be considered. That, in my opinion, would be an error and an example of why would be VHS which did balance for the top lost so many players and has only just started to feel better ever since they began to make changes to make their game more accessible. Balancing for the top, if your revenue is based on participation instead of spectators, is a mistake if your goal is a growing player base.

That's fine, though, and you sound like you're basing your opinion as an opinion on DH and you believe it's OP. As I said, I'm neutral on that. I don't see it in comparison to pre 6.1 DH but that could simply be because I'm more experienced now than I was before. I haven't seen anything in my own personal experience that makes me feel like it's OP but I'm just one player. All my discussions in this thread have really been about is me relating my personal experience, saying that I don't see DH as OP but I could be wrong and there is no data out there to prove me wrong or right. There are other people in this thread that also said they don't see a problem with DH so, if people want to argue about DH, their time might be better served arguing with someone who has a position on the subject instead of someone who is neutral and just pointing out there is no concrete data available to support or debunk DH being OP. It's okay if people have different opinions.

• Basement_Bubba420
    edited February 2023

Bro come on. The point of the thought experiment isn't about DH. It's about your contention that statistics are the main determinant of OPness. Answer the question. I literally said this. Just answer the question and we can move on about how we should discuss dead hard. Is it just statistics? Are there other metrics we can look at?

"Anyway, to your point about survival rates being the main measure of OPness I disagree."

So, did I correctly interpret your point? Is my interpretation incorrect? If so, answer the question. If not, tell me what I missed and lets move forward.

To surmise, you state that we need the statistics to evaluate whether DH is OP.

I say, no we don't need the statistics. The power level of the perk is baked into the definition of the perk. We can observe its power through examining the definition. The statistics are just an externality of the perk's definition.

Finally, regarding your point on the data gained from streamers, they face a wide enough skill range of players that given a good sample size of say 100 games, we can gain enough information. You said it yourself, there are not enough people at 2000 MMR to match them with, it will draw people from a wider variety of skill levels. The system will prioritize lower queue times over balanced games. It will answer the question what effect does dead hard have on a top killer player for a wide range of survivors. Also, look at the BHVR released kill statistics. The difference between the generalized stats and the top 5%. What among those would you constitute an important statistical difference?

Finally, I do think the bottom 20% of any skill bracket should be of minimal consideration. These are people who fundamentally don't understand the game, lack the experience, lack technical skill, lack interest, etc...

There is very little incentive to include them in balancing discussion. They just don't know enough about the game or have enough skill to be able to ascertain knowledge by observation.

• DBDVulture
    edited February 2023

-"I work with data all the time"

You could have fooled me with the way you want to present any discussion about statistics.

DH is a powerful perk when used by skilled players. It's probably too good compared to the other exhaustion perks. When we look at two very skilled killer mains we can see a variety of good players using the perk in their games.

There is no way you are presenting a neutral front on DH. You clearly don't want the perk to be nerfed. If DH had been nerfed in a balanced way then you would not see something like a 60-75% pick rate in high tier play vs try hard teams.

One of the biggest problems with DBD is that majority of balance changes affect middle and low rank play. A good game adjusts for ALL levels of players. DBD isn't very fun to play as most of the killer cast because survivors can basically do whatever they want against M1 killers.

This causes a shift where people stop playing the weak killers. Over time they get better at the game and play harder opponents and then once again they are forced to play better killers to compete. That should not be a thing. The best killer and the worst killer should be no more than 15% apart in terms of power level.

Largely speaking if the average player can loop for 25 seconds before getting hit then the best players in the world should last no more than 35 seconds before taking a hit. But that's not the game we have. Sometimes players can make a chase last 90 seconds betwen hits and that completely breaks the game.

VHS messed up because the devs are actually good at their game. They balanced the game around limits that work when everyone is highly skilled but those same limits make low tier play intolerable. This is the exact opposite of DBD actually. People can play DBD for 2-12 months and think the game is great. Then they get good at the game and realize that the "endgame" is incredibly poorly balanced.

High skill dbd is basically only Nurse/Blight. If you find some rare other killer then they are going to hardcore tunnel and play in a very cheap way because their killer is grossly inferior to the best two killers.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 561

If been using "Fake Dead Hard" as much as i can. Its so dumb to spin the killer forever and make him wait until i use "DH".

I wish there would be a way to remove the "Guess game" on DH, as good players can time it correctly even after waiting 10+ seconds, and DH server validation make it even worse, as they can press the E last second and still get the boost. If a killer has a secondary animation (like Wraith) you can use your power to fake a hit and try to bait the DH, but in some cases its just turns into a guess game where u need to watch the survivor spin forever before you can take some action.

TBH, i wish DH didn't exist at all, even if we need to rebalance to whole game to make account for it. I think that, if a killer is in distance to hit you, should get a hit, no excuses.

• Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 561

For Huntress and Trickster its even worse, as you need to purposely throw a hatchet/knife on ground or on a wall to bait out the DH

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

Do you see me whine about it? I use it as a survivor and it works 50% of the time, and as killer, I can almost always bait it out and if a survivor reads that and still manages to dodge a hit, good on them! Don't come to me telling me whether I have a problem when you're whining about a perk that has already significantly gotten nerfed. Deal with it :)

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

What are you on about? Evidently, it's bothering you way more lol. I'm here vibing. I've said my piece. You're the one still tagging me and going on about it.

• TheSubstitute
    edited February 2023

I am neutral about DH and don't care if it's nerfed or not. The problem is that you're single-minded on this issue. You can't even concede the slightest possibility that it might be that you have an issue with DH and/or are misperceiving its effect on survival rates. Your inability to consider that has led you to becoming more defensive and insulting throughout the conversation.

It's obvious no amount of reason will change your position from being black and white to considering any form of nuance so I'm not replying anymore. Have a good day.

• TheSubstitute
    edited February 2023

Sure, there are other metrics. And DH might be OP. Are you attempting to argue it is OP or is it your position that the other aspects of DH make it OP regardless of its effect on survival rates?

Edit: Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm tired of responding. It's not your arguments; you've presented them in a rational and respectful fashion but I honestly don't care enough about the issue to keep responding to people on this thread.

Personally, even with the other aspects of DH, I don't see how it's OP. 'Flick the camera up' tech almost always works and DH users can't just DH over traps anymore. Generally, DH users in my matches get one, or two if I'm tired, uses of the perk off and that's it. DH is a perk and can't be useless; it requires some value.

Once again not directed at you but I've just related my personal experience and have spent far more time discussing an issue I have little to no interest in than I care to. You might be right and DH might be OP but, as I've stated, I don't have a position on the issue as I don't have the data and I don't see it personally. No matter how much people want to argue they can't change what I personally experienced and I've been clear from the start that my personal experience only reflects my experience.

The only time I use DH is as a challenge as I suck horribly at it, I don't have a problem with it when I play Killer and I honestly don't care if it gets changed or not. Once again, not specifically directed at you, but I've been clear I'm relating my personal experience and I'm tired of being pinged and using up my time on a thread about an issue I don't really care about. The only time that I would care that much is if DH got the Eruption treatment as I'm of the position we don't need more useless perks.

Post edited by TheSubstitute on
  • jinx3d
    jinx3d Member Posts: 519

i just dont like perks that exist solely to correct a players mistake. Misjudged how many times you can loop a pallet? Dont worry, you have dh

also considering how bad most maps are lately, having so many safe pallets and god windows (haddonfield can burn in hell) i feel like its one of those perks that makes killer just total hell to play

• DBDVulture

A perfect example of how DH ruins the game. The perk repeatedly creates uncounterable situations for a M1 killers being played by a 7k plus hour streamer.