Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Hot take that I made on twitter about Distortion.

Posting it here to hear everyones opinion about the hot take I wrote on Twitter about a week or two ago.

-Distortion should also block Killer Instinct to make this perk a true stealth perk.

And after speaking to a few friends of mine over at Twitter, a good compensation is that the perk now takes 45 to 60 seconds to get a token back (was 30 seconds).

Let's keep it civil plz <3.

Comments

• HPhoenix
    HPhoenix Member Posts: 598

Sound about right. Someone wrote "Legion mains will riot" if this become a thing, lol.

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,762

Tbh the entire point of KI is that it can't be blocked. So while I wouldn't be opposed to KI being replaced by aura reads for some killers, I wouldn't want to see KI countered by any perk (until power creep sets in and they've run out of perk ideas)

• wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

Dredge, spirit, doctor, clown, billy, and so many killer perks would basically destroy this new version you’ve came up with. You would lose the perk and it’d be an empty perk slot in less than 2 gens.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,583

Nah, I think Distortion is fine the way it is. There aren't that many ways to trigger killer instinct and it was specifically designed to work when auras don't.

I would be ok with it blocking Wesker's killer instinct because he is strong enough to deal with it but on Legion and Sadako that'd be quite mean.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

Distorition is already a strong perk and Killer Instinct is not designed around being counterable. They purposefully add Killer Instinct to stuff so that there is no way for survivors to avoid it.

• Xernoton

Aight. Because Billy, Doctor and Clown have so many ways to trigger killer instinct.

Distortion doesn't work too well against Doctor anyway because his static blast makes you scream. That is not blocked by Distortion.

I really don't see how that'd be a problem with Billy. Is it because most Billies use BBQ? That'd make little to no difference. If you can hide for 30 seconds in Billy's TR than you can do it for 45 seconds as well. Also this would be more of an issue with BBQ then, no?

Same with Clown. You could run Tattoo's Middle Finger but that is an iri addon and again it would make little to no difference.

• gilgamer
    gilgamer Member Posts: 2,209
  • Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,371

There's not a single killer perk that provides Killer Instinct. Killer Instinct is solely related to killer powers except that Spirit gets hers via an addon instead of just being a basekit thing with her power.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,209

This is true, but this just leads me to believe it would end up with a situation that irritates all parties.

Killers like Legion would fail their first use of their power, arguably the most crucial one, costing them the first gen. Meanwhile survivors running Distortion have their entire perk deleted within the first 30s/1m of the game.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,828

Distortion is already a pretty strong perk, it doesn't need buffs.

Perks also shouldn't counter specific killer powers either. It's why Small Game and Sabo got reworked to stop countering Trapper. And why I wish they would remove Adrenaline waking survivors up against Freddy...

• wydyadoit
    edited February 2023

killer powers, addons, and perks all vary in different ways that include killer instinct and aura reading. Some killers don’t have aura reading. Some killers don’t have killer instinct. Making it so that both are on one perk means you’ll be wasting a perk because the killer will always be able to find you after 3 procs.

meaning the perk would be useless compared to something like sole survivor or just hiding in a locker.

edit

because those tokens would be burnt so fast. 3 tokens - lethal pursuer, legion lethal rush, a third proc of anything you can name - im all ears, bitter murmur, rancor, etc.

• rooCraah
    rooCraah Member Posts: 138

My thought too when I first read the idea. The Distortion perk and Killer Instinct mechanic both debuted at the same time, with Darkness Amogus, and I've always interpreted that with a new category of survivor anti-information perks, KI's whole point is to not be countered by Distortion and other stealth effects (like lockers for example)

• HPhoenix

Agreed. If Clown brings Aura reading add-on and perks, Distortion will run out of stacks stupidly quick. Which will make a survivor hang out in Clown's terror radius for a total of 90 sec to gain all 3 stacks.

• wydyadoit

i was using those examples because they have power addons that cause killer instinct or aura reading in their kit or some other similar mechanic like doctor’s clones.

my point is:

adding anti killer instinct would make the perk worse not better. Killer instinct isn’t that big of a deal to counter even without perks. Base kit survivors can do it. But aura reading is a whole different thing. And when you’re burning tokens on killer instinct you’re leaving yourself open to an aura reading that tells the killer who you are, what you’re doing, and if you’ve noticed or not that the killer is headed your way. Killer instinct is just a flashing hex.

• HPhoenix

I agree. Wake Up! Make sense on waking up from Freddy than Adrenaline but that just me.

• Xernoton

Again though. Doctor has nothing that is affected by Distortion. He has no aura reading addons and no killer instinct. His illusions don't trigger Distortion and since his Static Blast already makes it risky to stay in his TR for too long that wouldn't change too much for this killer specifically. Billy has absolutely nothing that gives him info either other than his perk Tinkerer and that triggers on gens not survivors. So that wouldn't affect him at all.

Don't get me wrong I won't argue that Distortion wouldn't be weaker with this change because 45 seconds is quite a long time. But I don't see why you'd use these killers as an example.

I think Distortion is absolutely fine as it is. In the right hands it's a strong perk that denies one of the most valuable things for any killer: Information. In the wrong hands the killer probably won't find you immediately and that's about it.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

Distortion is already strong enough as it is

• wydyadoit
    edited February 2023

You must not play doctor.

restraint carter’s notes.

restraint class III

restraint class II

these are aura add-ons.

perks are universal. And his illusionary doctors show him where you are without activating distortion. The only thing doc doesn’t have is killer instinct, but he makes you scream. The example was meant to show that adding killer instinct is still useless on some characters. Because you’ll never be able to benefit from stealth.

ghostface would destroy the perk. Legion would destroy it. Spirit. Nemesis. The list is long.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573

Spirit might with DCB on your face. The others wouldn't.

Legion: start frenzy, one person gets hit, can't find others because Distortion, token comes back before they have a chance to frenzy someone else. Unless you're planning to trigger it repeatedly wandering in and out of range.

Nemesis: only in-built KI is if you use the vaccine. That's very rare.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,159

Perks like Distortion shouldn't directly counter basekit killer powers like Killer Instinct. It's why perks like Small Game and Sabo were changed to no longer counter Trapper's traps.

At the same time things that are basekit with certain killer powers (killer instinct and incapacitation) shouldn't be added to perks, they should remain as killer powers only.

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,828

Wake Up does make more sense, but Freddy is already so bad he doesn't need a perk to have an effect that specifically affects only him.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

I think Killer Instinct should stay as is. Let it negate stealth.

That said, let certain survivor perks negate the killer's stealth. Premonition should give the survivor Gut Instinct and briefly show the killer's position.

• meg_solos
    meg_solos Member Posts: 18

As much as I hate legion it would completely counter their power. I don't think that would be a good change. There should be no perks that outright counter a killers power.

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,690

Killer Instinct as a mechanic was designed specifically so that no perk(s) could counter the killer's power. So no, that will and should never happen.

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 394

I don't think they should make Distortion let you hide from Killer Instinct, but I do think it would be nice to have a perk that does. If you bring Distortion + Calm Spirit + this other new perk you're gonna do things at a very slow pace anyways, so might as well make you undetectable to all sources.

After all, killers tend to hate perks that allows survivors to repair or heal faster, so a hiding build is kinda beneficial to both sides?

And Calm Spirit already entirely counters Doctor's power, so it's not like there has been no precedent. Worst case scenario, they can give it a negative effect like Calm Spirit, as in, if the perk triggers, you become undetectable by killer instinct for the duration of the original effect that would trigger Killer Instinct, and for that duration and +10 extra seconds reduces your gen repair noises but also your repair speed by, like, I don't know, a little bit. 5%? 10%? Balancing can be done around it.

I think it would be nice to be able to choose whether you want to deal with a longer game or with detection powers, each with its own trade offs.

• Zokenay
    Zokenay Member Posts: 1,158

What about Adrenaline and Freddy then?

Shouldnt we remove survivors waking up from Adrenaline? cause thats a huge hit to Freddy on endgame, and he is already a weak killer.

• MyelinXCVIII
    MyelinXCVIII Member Posts: 163

Does this also apply to items? I remember when Trapper's beartraps could be destroyed with toolboxes (rightfully removed IMO) but Hag, Wraith and Nurse still have odd interactions involving flashlights.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

Why not throw in Calm Spirit affect in as well? You want the ultimate stealth perk, right?

• HPhoenix
    edited February 2023

Hmmm, quite interesting then! Thanks for the comment <3.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291

I feel for the most part Distortion is fine - Although I'm conflicted on saying getting tokens should take slightly longer since we're getting actual decent aura reading perks for killer as of recently. But it's not really a problematic perk so I feel it's fine the way it is.

I wouldn't want Distortion affecting Killer Instinct or hiding it because that's admittedly all some killers even have going for them. Some killers like Legion need it for their power to even function and without hiding KI Distortion actually works fine as a perk. It gives you info on whether aura reading perks are in the game or not which dictates how you play and if there are aura reading perks it makes things safer for you. It almost always has up time though since the charge per token is 30 seconds. It's basically one player sacrificing a perk slot to take 1/4th value out of a killer perk.