The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Tunneling is the meta, thanks to the devs.

Devilishly_Rowdy
Devilishly_Rowdy Member Posts: 440
edited March 2023 in General Discussions

This is what it has come to sadly, make the game a 3v1 asap or lose. Because no amount of downs or hooks are gonna matter IF the survivors are just efficient at gens. All the new information on the survivor hud is cool for solo survivors but has also massively boosted gen speeds. The gen regression perk nerfs have also encouraged killers to tunnel more, because why go for hooks and not even get rewarded for it? Some survivor mains think that killers are just vile disgusting players that just want cheap wins and thus tunnel, but that isn't true most of the time, tunneling is literally the only way to win against decent survivors. Otherwise, enjoy those t-bags at the exits.

If they just balanced the maps instead of increasing gen speed, it would help massively, breaking like 40 pallets while other survivors sit on gens is the actual problem.

Post edited by Rizzo on
Β«13

Comments

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

It stands to reason that if tunnelling was a problem in the devs eyes, it would've been rectified years ago

but it hasn't, so it's not a problem. (To the devs)

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited March 2023

And even if they did somehow benefit the killer for spreading hooks (something like Grim Embrace, for example), not all chases are equal. All it takes is 1 survivor to be uncatchable to get denied whatever reward they come up with.

Unless... part of the reward is a token system given for each hook and gives the killer faster Bloodlust gain, until any 1 survivor is sacrificed, and then all tokens are lost. (Beast of Prey re-work?)

Now, the killer can save the uncatchable survivor for last, go for the others (without tunneling them out of the game), and use the Bloodlust to catch that uncatchable survivor to get the final reward for having hooked each person once.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913
    edited March 2023

I sure wish I saw more predropping. Survivors I come across try to mindgame every pallet they can. They assume that you'll respect the pallet the first time and don't drop it, which gives them an extra loop or two around the pallet if they were right.

Obviously, not respecting pallets just results in taking a bunch of pallets to the face, because not everyone does that.

• tyantlmumagjiaonuha
    tyantlmumagjiaonuha Member Posts: 550

Killer's attempt to create a 1v3 early is similar in principle to how Survivors gather in Gen and act in groups of two or more. It's just going to be more efficient and Devs should try to balance the game with this in mind.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

It varies. I think you see more pre dropping the higher mmr you go. I do think a lot of groups will test you though as well. If they can tell you’re a good mind gamer they’ll quickly switch to pre dropping.

Generally speaking if it’s an ultra safe loop like a jungle gym for example you never respect as that is extremely punishing if they fake you. The only ones you could consider respecting are the mind gameable ones. Can’t afford to ever respect safe loops.

• BlueHorkew
    BlueHorkew Member Posts: 1,081

Tunneling was always the meta

So nothing changed, you just don't need to deal with DS now, so its even better

• jinx3d
    jinx3d Member Posts: 519

if they remove slugging, more people would run and abuse builds that make them unhookable

• Brokenbones

Oh yeah I'm not saying they are unrequired or unnecessary

I just think saying they are meta now when they have always been meta is the wrong way to look at it.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday

I'm not sure about this.

I predrop a lot of pallets, and I'm not a good survivor. I do it because I don't know how to loop, so I'd rather just stall the killer for five seconds than risk going down even quicker than that.

If they just predrop every pallet on the map, you're kicking them just as soon as they can drop them, which is the main goal of a first and second chase in a game with an M1 killer.

If you're talking about predropping against specific killers as a counterplay (it doesn't make sense to not predrop pallets against Nurse, Spirit, Nemi, etc.), that's one thing, but that's how you're supposed to deal with those killers.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Well that’s kind of the problem with pre dropping. It can win you games even if you aren’t good at looping with how fast gens are, that’s why even the really good comp loopers pre drop.

I actually don’t think that’s the m1 killers goal in the first couple minutes. Of course varies which killer as well. if you’re just kicking pallets that are pre drops for the first few minutes you’ve basically already lost the game.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Multiple people on gens is actually less efficient, there's a speed penalty.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday

But if you're an M1 killer, there's nothing else you can really do. The goal is to make the map unsafe. Your first chase is long, but it pays for later, shorter chases.

And yes, if you're playing against survivors who have any idea how to play, gens are popping in the background like machine gun fire if you didn't think to bring Deadlock (or Ruin/Undying in the old meta); that's why people have such a low opinion of M1 killers.

Luckily, in public matches, survivors usually do not have any idea how to play efficiently. Playing Ghostface or a non-gimmicky Myers build against a comp squad rarely ends well, but not every game is against a comp squad in public matchmaking, even at higher MMR. People are off looting chests and blessing totems or teaming up on gens without Prove. So it works out.

Also, some of the teams I've played against who I could swear are indeed comp squads loop me to hell and back and know exactly when to drop the pallets and how to use them effectively. They don't just predrop random pallets; they run me around the loop exactly as many times as they know they can do safely, chain several windows from different structures together, and top it all off by using a pallet to stall me at that point so they can run me around again or make it safely to the next loop.

Those are the guys you really don't want to run into as an M1 killer. If that happens, yeah, just better to drop chase and go pressure gens in hopes you can catch someone off-guard.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

It's the meta because most people want easy wins rather than improving. That's not to say there aren't still balance issues but more often than not people just take the easiest path.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

Thay won't remove camping, Tunneling, or Slugging because those are valid strats to create pressure and they confirmed this. It's not the Killer players job to worry about anyone else's "fun" but their own.

The best way I have seen to help incentive for hooks is make Hooks actually count for something like a growing buff for them or debuff for Survivors.

I have turn matches around in my favor because of camping at end game or Slugging that one annoying looper and letting thier team waste time picking them up.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,281

I'd say the only time it wasn't meta was during the post-conspic nerf DS era. That perk actually punished tunnelling.

But then it got cut in half for no particular reason and now we're here.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885

I don't know why they nerfed time like they did I would of been happy it was disabled at end game but keep the stun time

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

You must not be playing against any of the teams I have been on in my solo queue matches. Half the time survivors will refuse to do gens or get off a gen and go hide if they hear the terror radius even though the status indicator shows someone else being chased. If you ever face a solo queue team that I am on, I promise you can win without tunneling.

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515
  • wydyadoit
    wydyadoit Member Posts: 1,145

some people don't understand the rules of hide and seek.

if you're found and don't make it to home base before getting tagged you're out.

at least the entity is nice enough to give survivors 2 chances.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

Everyone had bt and most had ds as well causing you to be stunned 5s so it was weaker if survivors were prepared. But if no-one had bt or ds then yeah it was too easy and in those games you didn't need to even tunnel as most of those survivors were bad.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,407

You say tunnelling is the only way to win against decent survivors. Thing is, decent survivors aren't going anywhere. They can balance the maps better, leave gen regression perks as is, etc etc, but decent survivors will still exist and you'll still face them. And if they're why you tunnel, then you will still tunnel.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,969

Give the unhooked survivor at least 60 seconds of invincibility. If the timer runs out and they happen to be in chase, the invincibility lasts until no longer in a chase. They can't go down unless grabbed from inside a locker. Conspicuous action still applies.

Increase gen time by 25 seconds

Every time a gen is completed, 5 seconds worth of repairing is reduced from all gens.

Killers cant tunnel anymore if they want to win but gens will take longer anyways

Done.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

tunneling has always been the meta since 1v3 is an autowin for killer 95% of the time.

You don't need to tunnel to win consistently, saying so is simply and objectively wrong.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266
  • Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

You say this like killers don't tunnel on midwich and coal tower. I'm not saying they shouldn't make red forest smaller but acting like tunneling will vanish if they shrink the maps is just ignorant. Tunneling will always happen because it will never not be the easiest way to win.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

No what they need to do is to increase base Gen regression

.25 charges per second is (word I can't type) VS. 1.0-2.2 charges per second

• Sandt21
    Sandt21 Member Posts: 761

Everytime they implemented the an idea on a PTB, survivors abused it to hell and back, and the idea didn't go through.

SO all you have to do is come up with an idea to stop tunneling is come up with an idea that is 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt impossible for survivors to take advantage of to gain a competitive advantage.

• Wewantjason
    Wewantjason Member Posts: 288

If the devs cared about tunneling it wouldn’t be in the list of things they don’t care about

• BougieBlackChick
    BougieBlackChick Member Posts: 316

95%? Where do you get these numbers? You can’t just create straw man stats out of thin air to support your personal belief. 🀣

• Wewantjason
    Wewantjason Member Posts: 288

Idk. I try not to tunnel if I can help it

that being said people literally hide in lockers while injured

they run into me on purpose to use their bt or otr then wonder why they get chased. Well don’t use it offensively, it’s an anti tunneling perk and you just wasted it you stooge that’s YOUR fault

people on death hook choosing to body block someone I haven’t hooked yet

i just body blocked a knight who refuses to hit me so he could HARD tunnel michaela. I blocked between bushes and he literally went AROUND the loop instead of hitting me

but I also just watched someone hide in a locker sick against plague and get pulled out

sometimes it’s not tunnelingnits just trash survivors who could probably play better if they played both sides. Def helps me play both BY playing both

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

Ok? They never said tunneling is bad or wrong? Gen rush is also the most effective way to win what is wrong with it? Winning is never "fun" for the other side. Tunneling and doing gens will always be meta.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Idk.

It's just surprising to me that people think Killer isn't the best it's ever been.

• Brokenbones

A certain youtuber will post a match of a killer losing terribly on YT with the clickbait title "BEST KILLER HAS EVER BEEN" and act like it proves a point

^ That is an actual thing btw, obviously can't name names but look it up if you're curious.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
    edited March 2023

Hmmm, how unfortunate.

To be honest, I'm rather disappointed that @DBDVulture hasn't responded to me yet :(

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

Tunneling isn't required at most pubs, high mmr is another story but 90% of the people dont belong in top mmr,, also tunneling someone at 4 or 5 gens is a whole other story than tunneling someone at 2 gens,, it's just easy ceap win,, what amazes me is those killers that tunnel while using 3 4 gen perks and still barely get 1 or 2 kills