Why so much hate for The Skull Merchant?

I think it is because since she doesn't really have any chase power (it's too slow and only works againts healthy Survivors to push them away), the best thing she can do is camp gens which almost everyone hates because it is boring and long. What are your thoughts?

Comments

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142
    edited March 2023

Hag camping hooks with her power? - It's fine. It's balanced. Leave it. The Hag has nothing else in her kit. Don't prevent her from trapping hooks!

Killers using their powers to camp gens? - No! Boring. Remove it from the game. zzZzzZ...

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,595
    edited March 2023

anti-loop 3 gen? what exactly at base-kit is anti-loop about her? all she has is tracking and they're nerfing that in upcoming patch by allowing a single survivor to just disable all the drones for free. she has non-existent expose that will only occur when survivor are injured and rushing generators on purpose. an irrelevant part of the kit is being buffed.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,595

exposing survivors is not anti-loop. it does not increase your odds of hitting the survivor. all it does is increase the rewarding for hitting the survivor. Undetectable does hide red stain but red stain is such minor part of looping in dbd due to most loops having see-through and vantage points for survivor to stand at. I would not constitute this as anti-loop.

her power is mostly tracking. mainly tracking generator progress.

• Dbdfan398
    Dbdfan398 Member Posts: 184

Boring power

Bad visual design

Bad music

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913

I don't hate her, but her aesthetic design is boring, I don't care for her backstory, and her gameplay doesn't seem appealing. "Weak" M1 killers are my bread and butter, but I never really warmed up to Knight, and I don't see myself playing a whole lot of Skull Merchant.

I'm really excited for her to come out, but I'm not sure why, considering that I'm not going to use any of her perks and I'm never going to play her.

If there's one thing I do dislike about her, it's that she's a wasted chance for a better killer to come out.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 5,059

The Community was not able to deduce that the most dangerous technology in the modern day is Surveillance.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 5,059
  • Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,773

Maybe it's the fact that she underperforms in every way. A very weak and boring power that consists of (possibly) the weakest chase we've seen so far, a stealth that is completely useless because survivors know you are there anyway and a tracking ability she has no way of capitalizing from due to her lack of mobility. In short her power is blatantly bad and no amount of buffs will correct that. The kit just doesn't work.

Her visual design is a huge disappointment and doesn't fit her power. A stealth killer should not wear a shiny mask and some weird kind of mercenary attire. Her animations look weird an unpolished.

Her lore is completely overloaded and that makes half of it absolutely redundant. Taker her ambition and that whole manga thing. It doesn't have any effect on this killer, so why is it there in the first place? You coulf scratch half her lore and focus on the remaining traids to make her a more believable, appealing character.

• TigerSnake
    TigerSnake Member Posts: 531

Unlike most people, I don’t mind her power and lore, although I do understand why other people hate it. The issue for me is her power. She’s the first killer with legitimately nothing to help her in chase, and all three gimmicks of her drones are so bad, pointless, and done better by other killers/perks that it’s pitiful. Tracking’s cool, but she’s just an M1 killer so she can’t do anything meaningful with that information, she doesn’t even have mobility to quickly shoo survivors away from that area for god’s sake. Aside from undetectable being weak enough as is, she also uses it in the worst situation imaginable. What good is that really gonna do for you when it’s only good in a drone, essentially when you have to wait 2 seconds for it? Way too predictable and downright underwhelming. Exposed is a cute way to punish survivors for staying in a drone’s area for too long without hacking it, but again, it’s tied to an M1 killer with no mobility, so how good is it really gonna do you when you have no chase power, or if they’re injured? I think she easily overtakes Trapper as the worst killer in the game, no cap. Trapper’s bear traps may have their issues, but I think they do much more than Skull Merchant’s drones, such as effectively shutting down a loop to help him in chase.

• MigrantTheGreat
    MigrantTheGreat Member Posts: 1,379

She's a copy and paste M1 Killer with a usless power. Lately I've noticed that BHVR is being too cautious with designing killer's and I simply think it's because they are catering too much to how the killer should feel to survivors.

• Monlyth
    Monlyth Member Posts: 982

Her visual design leaves a lot to be desired, her power is uninteresting with little room for skill expression, she's slow moving across the map, she's a weak M1 Killer in chase, and the best use of her power is to hold a 3-gen.

It's like the devs took everything that made Wesker praiseworthy and consciously chose to do the exact opposite.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

"Knight is just a weaker Artist"

"Skullie is just a weaker Knight"

Next time: "New killer is just a weaker Skullie"

I want to add a complaint also how "scary" is she? Not at all and it looks like a killer anyone could design in 10 minutes.

• BlueHorkew
    BlueHorkew Member Posts: 1,081

People hate going against hag. And she isn't popular with killers either, she is boring for many killer players

• Nos37

I get a lot of pushback everytime I suggest that she not be able to trap hooks.

I think camping hooks is worse than camping gens, but one makes the game end faster while one draws it out for everyone. 🤷‍♂️

• BlueHorkew
    BlueHorkew Member Posts: 1,081

I mean, in this forum you get a lot of pushback from anything a person suggests.

It doesn't matter how much sense or fair you think something is, someone will complain.

I mean people complain that base BT shouldn't exist in end game because they think they deserved that kill, people think its unfair that nurse gets to be in fatigue after every teleport, people think SB should be activated by pressing a button whenever you want.

There are lot of dumb ideas and people that will just complain

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Her power isn’t interesting to most and has a lot in common with knight who was just released

Her visual design is boring at best and terrible at worst

• Nos37

I will say I don't like her sound design. Fidgeting ASMR. 2-second loop for chase music.

• vanGlasse1
    vanGlasse1 Member Posts: 295

Regardless of what was expected from the teasers, I sincerely think her power is quite boring and not interesting overall, though I like how they tried to add new objectives and interactions with the new mini game, but in the end it comes down to another zoning killer which the power has no real good use considering the simple counterplay is to just leave the area, which has became saturated in my opinion and is not truly engaging at all. Also the way that the power trives on 3gen scenarios is something that I absolutely dislike, since I rather powers that have uses that make you feel like playing and not just guarding certain areas like a guard dog.

What is the worst to me however is her Lore, I hate how they made an extensive read that fails at everything and is plain dogshit. I swear, all about her lore feels so forced and stupid, the "Skull Merchant" title is terrible and the explanation behind it is pathetic. I miss when the lore was simpler, shorter but at least worked. Hers wastes a long time telling about her parents (who have a stupid relation to everything), her growing up, her professional uprising, and only then her "motives" and how she did her thing. It left a sore taste in my mouth after reading it all which felt like an eternity.

Her design is not the best and in my honest opinion doesn't really add much to her as a character at all, but I don't mind this much since skins exist and that ain't what I look forward at all when new killers come out. Her animations looked awful too in many cases, like they weren't polished at all, but that's just another detail. The mori is plain stupid and makes me NEVER want to run Devour with her and if they ever release the finishing mori to the game I'll just alt tab whenever I end a match as her.

The chapter as a whole though is something that I really liked, mostly because of the survivors, which although their perks have some strange similarity to already existing ones (precisely Blood Pact), have good things around them to make me excited. I like the idea of new perk types (first Boons, then Scourge Hooks and now Teamwork) and the voice acting + lobby theme is quite nice to see implemented on originals.

• Hi_Im_Chucky
    Hi_Im_Chucky Member Posts: 366

I’m still a lil frustrated they now let one survivor have the ability to scoop up all drones. Like #########, how weak does she actually need to be before BHVR think it’s safe enough to not piss off survivors 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Very weak killer.

Very boring killer to play as and against.

Very bad perks.

Very bad looking aesthetically.

Very bad lore.

Very bad mori.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

I think the exposed effect on her drone makes chases boring. For survivor, they are forced to leave the loop and while that may be advantageous for the killer, it isn't fun at all.

If they removed the exposed effect, the chases would be more fun for both sides and the killer could actually use the other tools of her drone. For example, if survivors are less likely to leave the loop, the killer could use her tracker and undetected status to catch a survivor off guard on high walls, and the survivor will have to predict this or peek on the other side of the wall before hand.

Instead of exposed, they could add a taser effect that shocks the survivor in the area, and it could act as a passive slowdown for anyone detected and trying to do gens in the drone zone.

• Emoba
    Emoba Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 514

There's nothing to like. Her design, her power, her theme, her mori, her lore... Everything is subpar.

• Dbdfan398
    Dbdfan398 Member Posts: 184
    edited March 2023

Usually their art team atleast brings it but even they did a bad job.

Bad design, music, power, perks, even her walk is cringy, everything.

• YAboiMCPicker
    YAboiMCPicker Member Posts: 1

Because the end game three gens are so horrendous to play as both her and the survivors.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949

Probably because she's so weak in everything except holding people hostage in long, painful games.

• stvnhthr
    stvnhthr Member Posts: 777

I think people hate her because she sucks. It is like everything we hate about knight ramped up to eleven. I use a game controller and it is near impossible to do her drones. If you put in the right combo because of lag it will always fail. The lag causes button pushes as multiples. I have never hacked a drone no matter how lightly I hit the correct keys. She just is unfun to play or play against. Her sounds are kind of cool, so the audio department did well. But whoever had to reskin the Predator model created an ugly design that looks like a Robot Chicken cosplay outfit.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,868

While i'm not sold on her appearance or power, at least her music was pretty good.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,766

I think conceptually its a great idea, but the designers missed a big issue. The hand reader for tracking survivors is really cool, except there are so many perks and sounds in the game that let you locate the survivors anyway. If the game was more hide and seek based taking time to look at an awkward scanner could be a really interesting mechanic, but being I can use a multitude of perks to show the survivors exact location, it's considerably weaker than what already exists.

• Jago
    Jago Member Posts: 1,742

Yep she needs a rework. Considering Gen kicking perks will be dead next patch, this killer will be even more impacted.

Bhvr did nerf Claw traps wrong. She needs to be more engaging and rewarded in chase, which is not the case right now.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,172

The main reason is that she is simply dull. She is dull to play and to play against, because there is no direct interaction between her and the Survivors except for classical M1-gameplay. Both sides have interactions with the Drones, but thats it. At least the Drones are not M1 + Skill Checks, but that is the only positive thing.

Other Killers which are more simple to play make more fun, because they directly interact with the Survivor.