Nerf Circle of Healing already

Options

It's effectively an infinite use medkit for every survivor. Either make it a single use per survivor and if the Boon gets snuffed out, it's gone for good just like Hex perks or make it so that only one Boon totem can be active on the map period.

Comments

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,299
    Options

It is not like an infinite medkit at all. I think they should reduce the healing speed increase to 40%, or maybe 33%. And that's it. I really, really hope they don't make the perk useless. If they change it so you can only heal yourself with the same speed as old Self Care for example, the perk will be completely useless.

Medkits are actually the bigger problem. Because they let survivors heal themsleves way too quickly, taking away too much pressure of the killer.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,630
    Options

Perk is likely to be changed this summer perk review, going by clue of the german dbd twitter account.

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,239
    edited March 2023
    Options

The perk is most useful if killer guards his 3gen and refuse to chase. So remove ability to infinitely kick gens and then u can remove CoH.

Make limits for CoH same as for kicking gens

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,852
    Options

COH also got the nerf where it removed the stacking of 2 or 3 COHs from the PTB and let’s also not forget it used to be a 28 meter range on the PTB as well, which also nerfed Shadowstep in the process.

Also about your point where the other boons are balanced, that’s not necessarily true. Dark Theory and Exponential are really bad. Dark Theory almost has no uses and Exponential is so situational that you’re always better off running Unbreakable, Tenacity, or Soul Guard as an anti slug perk.

• CookieBaws
    CookieBaws Member Posts: 619
    Options

Honestly, they should just set self-healing speed to 50%, not affected by anything positive.

Because it is faster than BK + Self Care. That's insane.

• roundpitt
    roundpitt Member Posts: 578
    Options

Because people were healing to full in less than half a second.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,105
    Options

It doesn't give the team an infinite medkit, though. It gives the team an infinite old-numbers Self Care, which is a wildly different situation.

Personally, I don't think Circle of Healing is causing problems based on its strength right now- one could argue it's problematic for the wider health of the boon mechanic, but when it comes to what CoH actually does on its own, it's really not that big of a deal anymore. Old Self Care is a reasonable speed, and a 50% bonus on altruistic heals is the same as Botany Knowledge in a restricted area that requires setup, so I'd say that's fair too.

The problem with CoH comes when it's stacked with other sources of heal speed. If it couldn't be stacked with medkits, for instance, we'd be in a much better spot already- though it's worth mentioning that ultra fast healing speeds don't actually require CoH and so are therefore their own problem.

• jinx3d
    jinx3d Member Posts: 519
    Options

this is a dumb arguement

what about situations where the killer doesnt 3 gen, but the survivors do it to themselves? why would i leave at that point and let you get the last gen done? if killers cant kick gens whenever, not only would this nerf gen kick perks to the ground with very little equal alternative, but it would defeat the purpose of survivors needing to pay attention to what gens they are and arent doing. not even comparable at all

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,302
    Options

CoH can be nuked at the same time they nuke the 3 gen stalemate meta for killers. CoH is the only thing that gives solo queue a chance vs killers like Knight/Skull Merchant camping a 3 gen from the start of a match.

For the record, I consider guaranteed 3 gen locations on certain maps and certain killer power designs more of an issue than the regression perks themselves after the Eruption nerf.

• GannTM
    GannTM Member Posts: 10,852
    Options

Which yeah it was a reasonable nerf and I’m glad that it did, but the perk probably has so many more nerfs it can take at this point until it becomes dead.

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,539
    Options

It‘s way faster than old Self-Care though, the 50% bonus also applies to the self-heals. It’s a 21 second heal, not 32.

If it was actually 32 seconds and then had some restriction with medkits it’d probably be fine.

I agree with this, though I think CoB/Overcharge are problems too, not just maps and killer design.

• WitchOfCraft
    WitchOfCraft Member Posts: 35
    Options

Techincally why not just make Makayla a killer. She could be a witch killer. Instead of her boons they turn them into hexes. Her weapon her hat, witch staff, book, or a wand. She is a ranged killer that uses magic to torment survivors. The magic can ensnare enemies for 3-5 sec. (If they had the add-ons) But she also has tiers on it and they all do different things . (Like Michael Meyers Tiers). The first tier is the ensnare. The second is teleporting to gens. She gets fatigue for 2 secs. The final tier lets her instagrab you. (She still has to go to hooks) The last tier only last for 35 secs. Her mori would be her using magic and taking the blood out of the survivors and putting it in her book. Her name... The Witch (These are all suggestions for Makayla as a killer. It would get rid of Circle of Healing).

• WitchOfCraft
    Options

(BTW I don't know what her perks as a killer would be)

• SixShotOcelot
    SixShotOcelot Member Posts: 121
    Options

Agreed! Nerf self-heal aspect, encourage TEAM aspect. One suggestion I agree heavily with is:

Remove self-healing; potentially buff group healing to compensate; also show the aura of injured survivors in the circle of healing area to incentivize/communicate teammates to come heal you.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437
    Options

Hexes and Boons need the same rules: killer/survivor can rekindle their totem perk indefinitely as long as the bones are not broken.

Killers should have the base kit open to be able to kick a boon and destroy the bones.

Infinite healing required you to take the perk : self care for roughly 6 years.

Infinite healing completely ruins the "hit and run" playstyle.

Base kit killers should be able to break dull totems before they become boons. Shattered Hope should be : destroying all boon perks of the player whose totem was kicked on the first kick. That would be balanced.

Imagine if you needed a boon perk to be able to cleanse a hex perk. That sounds broken right? That's because it is but that's how it works in survivor land.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,222
    Options

The best solutions would be for the perks to deactivate when killer snuffs the boon like Hex perks or like @Caiman said change it so it only buffs healing others and doesn't allow self healing by itself.

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,239
    Options

1, killer does not need to setup his hexes and waste 14s time doing so and X time finding totem

2, hexes are map wide, boons are not

3, survivors can't chase away killer

4, hexes are stronger (or at least should be stronger) then boons

They just can't work the same.

yes. Give us old old SC with 16s heal and I never ever ever will use CoH. Even old SC that was 32s (which many people called killer's perk at that point) was better then CoH and I never used boons while that version existed. But 42s (and pray to god killer can't apply mangled in any way) is just unreasonable. Do you realize the choise is between doing almost half a gen or getting one heal? That's just stupid.

Also once again - 21s heal from CoH is just stupid. It's the same as saying old eruption slows down gen progress by 120s for each down. Meaning it can technically be true under ideal conditions, but in fact the time can be anything between 21s and never - with average time going somewhere around minute (because totem searcha and because killer can snuff the totem much quicker then you can set it up and because survivors also need to travel to it same as killer and because sometimes survivor just can't go to it without throwing himself at the killer and because sometimes there are just no totems in game)

• jesterkind
    Options

My mistake.

21 seconds is still longer than 16, however, so my overall point stands: it's not infinite medkits because it's slower than default healing speed, and that extra time is on top of setup and the range restriction. On its own, Circle of Healing is pretty reasonable, I'll take a team that has one CoH and no other healing speed boosts over teams with proper medkits and healing builds any day.

Healing speeds overall need to be brought in line, and CoH is only one (comparatively quite small) element of that.

Oh, I can answer that: Because they're different mechanics designed with different purposes aiming towards different goals. Boons aren't designed the same way as hexes in any other regard (beyond interacting with totems), so why should they have the same downside?

• WitchOfCraft
    Options

Just let Mikaela Reid be the only survivor that turned into a killer.... Or make her a killer.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437
    Options

"1, killer does not need to setup his hexes and waste 14s time doing so and X time finding totem"

Each second as killer is 4x as valuable as 1 second for survivor. If killer could rekindle they would be wasting time to find more bones.

-"2, hexes are map wide, boons are not"

Most of the hexes are laughably bad:

Crowd Control, Face the Darkness, Haunted Ground, Huntress Lullaby, NOED, Plaything, Retrribution, Ruin, Third Seal, Thrill of the hunt, Undying.

Pentimento can be good if you can force people to cleanse.

Devour Hope is a perk I would like to see removed as it is actually more frustrating than NOED. In 9/10 games you lose it before it does anything. The one game where you get to use it is an automatic win. That's not fun for anyone.

Undying was strong and got gutted. Killers dont get to have strong perks. This perk showed that if hexes had to be re-cleansed then some of them would actually be viable.

Blood Favor is decent but gets cleansed instantly because it's a hex. This perk would be top tier if you had to remove all the bones on a map to get rid of it forever.

-"3, survivors can't chase away killer"

Actually this is false. You can pressure an objective to say : if you dont come and stop me I can do something that might cost you the game like break the only viable 3 gen on this map.

-"4, hexes are stronger (or at least should be stronger) then boons"

If hexes are going to be something that is permanently removed they should be beyond punishing.

Here's an example of what would be viable for a hex to be worth the risk.

1. +5% movement speed for killer. Note : this is a flat boost so a 115% becomes 120% movement speed.
    2. Your totems can't be interacted with for 2 minutes at the start of the game. For every hex totem you bring after this perk your hex totems cannot be touched for +1 minute. (note ruin would still poof if someone dies).
    3. Survivors play the trial exhausted until this totem is broken.
    4. Fool's Greed - this was the perk my friend came up with back in like 2017. It was even announced that it was going to be added to the game on a dev stream. Fools Greed is not a hex perk but it affects hex perks. Whenever your totem is destroyed (making your perk inert) all survivors lose their perk in the same slot. For example if the killer had Haunted Ground in slot #2 then every survivor loses their second perk when the killer's hex perk is cleansed.
    5. Survivors cannot heal while this totem is active.

The reality is that boons are stronger than Hexes because the killer can't destroy them. You cannot "waste" a perk slot gambling that one of the survivors spent 1/16 perk slots on a boon. Even then Shattered Hope does not immediately destroy their boon perk on kick like a hex.

Boon/hex Rules massively favor survivors and need to change.

A. perks affecting bones can be rekindled until the bones or destroyed or are immediately destroyed when interacted with. Pick one.

B. Base kit the killer must be able to interact with dull totems and delete them on interaction. This would allow a killer to press space to stomp a boon and then press E to break bones. If they press space again they could rekindle their hex in that spot.

C. Either Shattered Hope needs to become Basekit or survivors lose the ability to interact with Hexes and can only interact with them by overwriting a hex with a boon.

• foodie
    foodie Member Posts: 436
    Options

Circle of healing is good - survivors instead of doing gens are spending precious time setting up a boon.

When there is an active boon, survivors are more likely to heal or run to it to heal, which also means they're not on gens.

If a survivor has no means of healing, no boon, they will be sticking to gens injured, therefore gen rushing you, while if they did have a healing option, they're likely to take it.

Circle of healing slows down matches in my experience.

• Technature
    Technature Member Posts: 619
    edited March 2023
    Options

Circle of Healing slows down matches to the point that I come dangerously close to death by boredom.

Nothing says fun like knowing that chasing someone means the generators are unprotected long enough that someone finishes the last one and not chasing someone means the person isn't actually under pressure.

• jesterkind
    Options

Sure, those are the mechanics- or at least, about half of the relevant elements of the mechanics. You haven't addressed the purpose or goal of the two separate perk types, though.

Boons are meant to be a trade. The survivor gets to apply limited-area buffs, but the killer can push them back onto that totem to spend more time setting it up. Survivors are meant to bank on getting enough value out of each bless that they aren't wasting that time, and since most of the boons (CoH is an outlier in this regard and that is my biggest problem with it at this point) require the killer to be nearby them to get value, the killer always has the option of snuffing the totem to try and pull survivors back towards it.

Just look at the actual perks we have. So many of the hexes would be wildly overpowered if they could be relit infinite times, and all of the boons save for CoH would be completely useless if they were single use. They are clearly designed differently just on that single point alone.

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,222
    edited March 2023
    Options

Because they're different mechanics designed with different purposes aiming towards different goals. Boons aren't designed the same way as hexes in any other regard (beyond interacting with totems), so why should they have the same downside?

Precisely! You made a very good point... just not the way you pretended it to be.

The argument of why Hexes can't be rekindled or work like Boons is because they are so strong that they need a hard counter to them, while boons provide more situational and weak effects, but in exchange can be moved or relit all what you want in exchange of expending some time doing so. That's the design point:

• Hexes: Strong and useful along the whole match (in most cases), easily counterable and with only one use.
    • Boons: Weak and situational, but infinite uses in exchange of time.

The thing is, that design philosophy is not true for CoH. It is not weak at all to the point it is a viable substitute of multiple items and perks while at the same time buffing those items and perks if you have them, and because of that it is useful in all situations and matches, reason why it is practically the only boon used. Also, it has an useful universal effect for survivors: Healing, which at the same time acts as a way to counter killers effort and time. So, you could say by the way it work that this boon is stronger for survivors that many hex perks are for killers, as not every hex perk would benefit all killers on all situations, and the ones they do like Ruin or NOED have a secondary condition or counter (just until the first survivor is dead / aura revealed to survivors so it's easy to find).

TL;DR and to conclude: If it doesn't follows the boons design logic of "weak and situational, but infinite" and it follow more the design of Hexes, being more as powerful and useful to survivors as many Hex perk are for a killer, why it doesn't have the same downsides as an Hex?

CoH needs a nerf, and that nerf is making it work like an Hex with the advantage that you can choose in which totem you want it to be or make it more weak and situational by removing the self-healing effect unless you have self-care or leaving it but removing the buff to healing, for example. Simple as that.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979
    Options

How would it be useless? Changing it to old self care instead of the 75% heal speed would be a fine enough nerf IMO, people would still use it plenty

• jesterkind
    Options

Well, I wouldn't necessarily say that boons are meant to be weak per se, but that's a nitpick.

For the record, I do actually dislike that CoH doesn't follow the established conventions of the boon perks and doesn't really lend itself well to the intended function. Though, I equally don't like the idea that it would become functionally different to the others in its perk type in that way, I'd rather see CoH entirely reworked to have a different effect if we come to the conclusion that we have to fix the way it clashes with the rest of the boons.

Like, I don't disagree with your reasoning, but I think the conclusion of "so it should work like hexes" is a bit misguided, personally. I'd rather see it brought in line with the other boons instead of muddying the waters by making it an exception like that- I would view that as potentially necessary from the perspective of the boon mechanic, but not from the perspective of the actual strength of the perk. On its own, CoH is only "pretty decent", it's not something that needs changing based on its strength alone.

Healing speeds are their own problem, CoH just kind of became the face of it for some reason despite that not reeaaally being accurate.

• WitchOfCraft
    edited March 2023
    Options

Congrats they nerfed it. You need a medkit to heal in the boon. It takes 24 secs. to fully heal now. All Circle of Healing does now (By now I mean the next update) when it is fully leveled up you gain a 50% percent faster heal speed so it takes 12 secs to heal. But you have to take a medkit into the trial. So its nerfed in the next update.

Post edited by WitchOfCraft on
  • Technature
    Technature Member Posts: 619
    Options

That's great.

Now let this thread that had no conversation for more than 2 weeks stay dead.

• Vapo_rubs
    Vapo_rubs Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 4
    Options

All I ever hear are killer mains crying about survivor perks when in reality the killer has all the advantages with all the updates the developers make. Killers can seem to have a bit of a challenge without crying about something