Remove killer's red stain

martinj97
martinj97 Member Posts: 156
edited March 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

For me the red stain is probably the siliest thing in DBD. It looks ridiculous, and it enables endless looping, which to me is the second silliest thing in DBD. It also makes perks like Dead Hard OP.

Does anyone know anymore what problem the red stain was originally intended to solve?

Comments

• kaiojiiyorii
    kaiojiiyorii Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 12

The red stains and no pov slider still baffle me to this day 🤷🏻‍♂️ like game still runs on such ancient buggy code they just dono how to code it out or change it without breaking the game these days

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

Just run Beast of Prey and don't break pallets... 🤷‍♂️ (Sarcasm)

• Batusalen
    Batusalen Member Posts: 1,323
    edited March 2023

I'm going to guess it was a way to help survivors in the early days, so they know when the killer is just not looking in their direction and can hide and such. And in my opinion, it wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't the first thing many see around a corner, even before they can see you.

I think they should limit it to when the survivor has a direct line of sight with the killer. If I'm behind a wall, the survivor won't be able to see the red stain until they see me. Maybe it was a necessary help in the day, but with the current skill level of the playerbase I don't think it is anymore.

• Spectralfx
    Spectralfx Member Posts: 605

I agree, get the redstain out.

anything to help killer be deadly would be welcome at this point. The BNP-Deadhard spam is just unfun to play against and this could maybe help cope with the fact that on all tiles now, they can see the killer at all times anyways.

• Gandor
    Gandor Member Posts: 4,258

"just remove the speed advantage of killers. Does anyone remember what this silly mechanic was intended to solve?"

• Dream_Whisper
    Dream_Whisper Member Posts: 746

Red Stain would be perfect balanced; if we are living in 2017/18.

It seem like it hurts killers trying to mindgame Survivors. Especially in most loops like Killer Shack where Survivors can easily make easy assumptions on Killer's position and direction they are going. It hurts experience Killer's and forced them to mindgame in order to close the distance and try to secure the hit. Basically, the Red Stain makes survivors stupidly strong in loops, when no perks are in play; and doesn't help Killer's in high wall structures/map tiles. That and some wall in some maps have loose walls which allows you to peak through the cracks and somewhat spot the killer through the thin gap and make decisions..

If they removed the Red Stain, this game will be bit more fair for killers in chase; and if it is too harsh, I don't mind Bloodlust being nerf with this changes to compensate Survivors with extended chase in certain loops.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 612

The red stain is literally essential to mind gaming survivors at structures such as TL walls so no, I do not support this being removed. There is one specific mind game that works against pretty much any good survivor at a TL wall that has gotten me so many downs it's ridiculous.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

Brute forcing a chase at that tile for 6 window vaults is ridiculous.

• Batusalen
    edited March 2023

Ah, the old "skill issue" argument. Never gets old.

There are pretty strong loops in the game that allows the survivor to put the killer in situations where they have so many options that it is more a guessing game that anything related to skill. More so when the chase music and other things don't even allow you to hear survivor steps to at least trying to pinpoint where he is right now. And even if you guess right, you can still don't catch him because the own loop design won't let you.

Has he go to the left? To the right? To the next window again? Has he just go to another tile? Is he just waiting for the red stain to get to vault? No matters how good you are at chasing or mindgames, when there is so many options sooner or later you would be wrong many times in a row and get looped more than necessary. Then, go to the next loop, guess right at the first attempt and catch him in less than 5 seconds because you didn't catch him because he was a godlike looper, it was the tile and the luck.

The funny thing is, your same argument can be applied to the loopers. If they are so good at looping the killer and react to their movement, why they need the advantage of being able to pinpoint him around the corners with the red stain? If you aren't able to guess where the killer is behind a wall, then you have more issues than the red stain not being a thing.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

I have good news for you,, all you gotta do is moonwalk the loops where you killer can't be seen and boom, survivor is left with less time to react,, its called mind gaming,, if you go auto pilot while chasing you chases will last longer

• AFKbyDaylight
    AFKbyDaylight Member Posts: 10

The red stain is actually something that you can use to your advantage as a killer if you understand survivors and how they react to you during chases at specific tiles. Not to mention moonwalking is a pretty reliable strategy to hide it all together. Personally baiting vaults at shack for example with the red stain is a great way to catch survivors on the other side of the window. In fact the majority of concealed loops have a specific use case where it actually can be an advantage to have it.

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 612
    edited March 2023

I know it's really hard to hear for some players but there are valid times where saying skill issue isn't just an insult in just a matter of fact. There is no world where survivor should be getting six vault TL structure, or any structure for that matter. That is something where you need look within and figure out what you are doing wrong with your chase and improve on that. Chasing and looping skills are incredibly important as killer just as it is for survivor. How you acting chase completely determines the outcome of the match. Such as asking yourself "am I taking too long in this chase?", "Am I running this tile correctly? And in the right direction?". So yes in some cases, stuff like this is absolutely unironically a skill issue.

No one is denying that there are strong structures in the game for looping. But I can't think of any structure in the game that is so strong that you can't really mind game or play around in any way, outside for instance main buildings. For instance shack, cowtree, and other strong structures are all based on how you are running the tile. It's up to you to determine the chase direction. And you're right there are times where you lose chases, or going to a 50-50 at tiles, but that's just the game. You shouldn't be winning every chase. If you are, that's a complete design flaw of the game. As far as the chase music and sound issues that's a overall game issue with the audio occlusion in the game.

Again, if you are wanting the red stain to be removed, it removes a lot of Chase techniques as well as mind games and moonwalks that would normally get you a hit at any tile. This is all because the survivor can see the red stain. To be brutally honest I don't get the issue with the red stain at all, because more times than not it should be actually getting you hits rather than preventing the survivor from being hit. I just use TL walls as an examples because those are structures that mind gaming works on 95% of the time if the survivor is even paying attention to the red stain the first place.

• Batusalen
    edited March 2023

Again, mindgames are all good and such, but when the survivor have so many options to do it isn't just a matter of mindtricking him. Every mindgame is a bet, and when the odds are "5 to 1" 4 times in a row, by just probability alone you would sometime lose all of them. I'm not saying that skill isn't necessary for both sides, I'm only saying it is not the only factor and luck is also a big one.

And even if the red stain helps in some of those situations, in a lot of them it does the contrary. Basically, the main argument I always see in favor of the red stain is "The red stain is the solution to the problems that wouldn't exist if the red stain wasn't a thing".

Yet again and like I said, I don't think it should be removed completely, but I do think that it shouldn't be visible when you are behind a wall as it is when you don't have a line of sight with the killer/survivor that many of those situations I mentioned earlier happens.

Post edited by Batusalen on