The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Killer Main - Why I'm Quitting

moondos
moondos Member Posts: 13
edited July 2023 in General Discussions

800-hour killer main here. First off, I want to say I WANT to love this game but holy hell it is just not fun anymore.

I've been trying to figure out why, but I think the biggest reason it is 'not fun' comes down to the word demoralizing. There are so many things that demoralize you when playing killer that it just makes you want to quit.

• Chases take too long / gens are too fast. Every single game I play the first chase always costs me 2 gens. I play at high MMR so the first down tends to take a good 2+ mins from the game launching as the survivor holds W and drops every pallet or runs to well-known strong loops. By the time I've hooked them 2 gens pop (because survivors spawn on gens) and another is on the way. Basically 50% of the survivor's objective is complete and I have about 10% done.
  • Second chances. Dead hard, flashlights, pallet stuns, sabotage, body blocking the list goes on. Nothing is as demoralizing as finally outplaying a survivor only for a second chance mechanic to pop and all your effort is wasted. In high MMR if just one of these going off in the early game its gg so long as survivors don't do anything stupid.
  • Playstyle. Because chases take so long, and gens go so fast you cannot afford to spread hooks or enjoy a long chase. The game is forcing killers into playing an unfun camping / tunnelling playstyle and I hate that. I want to chase and spread hooks; I want the survivors to have fun too but if you want to 'win' you can't. I feel like an a-hole ruining some guy's game because if I don't tunnel someone ASAP gens just go too fast.
  • Maps. HOLY HELL maps are broken. Why are they so big? Why do they have so many interconnected loops? Why do god windows and pallets exist? Why are the hooks so damn far apart and so few? Why is the floor so cluttered so I can't see scratch marks? Why do survivors spawn literally next to gens? This is probably my biggest gripe with the game. The map design is beyond awful, and every new map seems to make it even worse.
  • Survivor Icons. I really like that the survivors don't need voice chat to know what their fellow survivors are doing, and it was a very good change to the game, however, it makes survivors MUCH more efficient with their time, for example: If you see one of your survivor friends is on hook and the other 2 are doing gens, then you go to the rescue. No longer do 3 people turn up to unhook just to waste their time running all the way back. This means the 30 seconds wasted on 2 survivors doesn't happen and now 2/3 of a gen is complete thanks to the icons. I don't want this removed; it is a great change, but it makes the killers job that much harder. You are basically going against SWF level communication every match and the game is just not balanced around that.

In the end the most fun part about this game is the chase for both killer and survivor. The mind games, the outplays, the moonwalks, hiding your light, double backing, swing through pallet, the mix ups. It's so much fun to chase a good survivor but if you do you are throwing the game.

I'll probably be back in 6 months or so because nothing scratches the DBD itch like this game, so I hope things are a little bit better by then but let me know if your experience playing killer has similar frustrations to this or what your opinion is.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• appleas
    appleas Member Posts: 1,122

Sorry to hear that this game has turned you off this much. It can be extremely frustrating especially since the state of the game and your playstyle seem to be incompatible.

I hope you find yourself in a better place mentally during your break.

• EmpireCity830
    EmpireCity830 Member Posts: 118

I get where you're coming from. I was like this a couple weeks ago. Idk if my MMR went down or if it's because of playing late at night but my games have gotten better. The game is favored towards survivors imo because a competent group that does gens efficiently will win most games against the bulk of the killer roster.

I have noticed some things in the 2 weeks. (This only applies to M1 killers)

First, maps are too big and/or gens are too spread out to really do anything.

Second, survivor spawns are actually ridiculous.

Third, having 1 gen slowdown perk of some sort is a must.

Map sizes need to be reduced. That is the #1 thing.

Another thing is that you can't let Nurse, Bight and Spirit dictate how stuff is designed when it comes to maps, perks, and anything else. These killers are the strongest in the game and will stay there for a long time. That doesn't mean that the rest of the roster has to suffer cause of these 3.

Changes need to come quickly otherwise killers are going to quit this game and the bulk of the killer roster will be too weak to do anything.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

This is an inevitable endpoint for a lot of killer players who get fed up with facing high-level SWF teams. When you’re up against coordinated players who know what they’re doing, there’s not much you can do, especially if you want to play “fair” and not camp or tunnel. Dead Hard gives survivors a third health state, meaning each chase will likely last longer enough to get one or more gens done considering how easy it is to jump from safe loop to safe loop on many maps. After three or maybe four hooks it’s GG and all four survivors t-bagging you at the exit gate. Until there simply aren’t enough killer players to sustain the game, this state of imbalance will continue. The game makes most of its money from survivor players and if the game balance is adjusted to make it more difficult for them, many of them will stop playing.

• Flawless_
    Flawless_ Member Posts: 323
    edited March 2023

Sooo I just took the time to read your entire post and…I’m sorry to break it to you pal but I’m pretty sure your mmr isn’t as high as you think it is.

All the issues you mention are things truly experienced killers learn to deal with and play around eventually. Just the fact that you’re committing to a 2+ minute chase tells me everything I need to know. This sounds like a textbook case of git gud.

Not saying your frustrations aren’t valid, but to be fair you are kind of blaming everything but yourself for your shortcomings. You can absolutely win as killer without tunneling right off the bat, and comfortably so.

Taking a break from the game does help though. See you in 6 months.

• Grum
    Grum Member Posts: 273

I literally did not say "just bait it out".

You can time your lunge to hit at the end of the DH. Or lunge through the pallet while looking up so that you don't hit them, and likely end up blocking the prompt. Or you can follow them through the DH without lunging, do a basic M1 and take advantage of the lingering hitbox.

And if none of that works, well, sorry there was a very small chance you couldn't do anything about it. Be thankful it wasn't any of the other exhaustion perks that you literally can't do anything about.

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,280

Dead hard, flashlights, pallet stuns, sabotage, body blocking the list goes on.

Props for this one. Very few killers actually point these out as issues (Dead Hard excepted, of course). Particularly flashlights and sabos are a huge part of what makes bully squads so awful to face.

• Kius
    Kius Member Posts: 140

It's not a coincidence that people specially killer playerbase currently face the same issue as most of them.

Maybe people should stop with the passive-aggressive answers and think why this happens and why it's almost every time the same points.

I've been not playing this game for 2 months almost and will continue until I see the next perk shake up. Bored of playing that style dev's want me to if I want to win otherwise I give full control to other 4 randoms that will make my time on a video game miserable for their fun.

I'm waiting for the perk shake up again.. this meta (the current) will go for 6 months until the anniversary patch.. they need to happen way more often every 30-90 days top.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

May i suggest you switch to survivor? I did and the game has become so much more relaxing.

Please give it a chance. Especially with the QoL changes, solo is so much less stressful than killer.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700

Survivor is clearly the chill-role in this game. If u want a Stress-Test, you should play killer.

• TheWheelOfCheese
    TheWheelOfCheese Member Posts: 666

It doesn't take that much to hit the soft cap. "High MMR" is just "everything above the soft cap" which is both ridiculously easy to get to and filled with a very wide range of skill levels.

• Tsulan

Oh i know. Sometimes i really wonder if its worth it. I see myself playing less and less killer.

• Marik1987

Thats what I think too. Its kinda weird how different every round is. Sometimes I have nearly unbeatable SWFs, sometimes I have 12 hooks when 1 gen is done. Its kinda surreal.

• Grum

It's the most used perk because:

1. Unlike killers, who all have unique powers that benefit from different builds, all survivors have the same abilities.
    2. It's the only exhaustion perk that's fun to use. It's the only one with some element of interaction with the killer. Most of the others simply activate and you just zoom away. The exception being Head On, which is virtually impossible to get use out of in solo queue, and get more than one use out of in a match.
    3. It's the only exhaustion perk that's mildly useful against Nurse, Spirit, and Blight.

90% of the time, survivors would get more value out of something like Sprint Burst or Lithe. Those aren't fun to use, though. It isn't fun to immediately zoom away from the killer, likely ending the chase before it even started.

It's not a second chance if you're making plays based around having it.

• Grum
  • Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Killer can definitely suck at times. Don’t get roped in thinking you play at “high MMR” though. Matchmaking prioritises queues so you are basically put with anyone

For killer I just focus on archive challenges and doing fun builds. It’s not worth stressing over getting a 4k or winning since that will only make you burnt out and frustrated when you don’t win

Make sure to play survivor as well. It can give you perspective on how to improve your killer gameplay and is generally less stressful too

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,199

Not here to invalidate your feelings, but I can say I know where you're coming form, and a lot of this is down to attitude and expectations.

1. "Chases take too long / gens are too fast. Every single game I play the first chase always costs me 2 gens."
      1. This is actually par for the course and to be expected. The killer has the ability to snowball, while the survivors objectives get harder. So it's entirely OK for the survivors to have a strong start, if you play killer well you have every opportunity to reign it back in once it gets to the last couple gens and survivors start to be able to be eliminated. I don't deny it's 'demoralising' but once you realise that it's not as big of a set back as it 'feels' then it's much less demoralising.
    2. Don't expect to win every match, learn to lose.
      1. This goes for killer and survivor, doubly so survivor because you're much likely to be killed regardless of the outcome of the match in general. Learn to accept the 3K as a win, and learn to not get triggered when you lose. I've learned that most of my 'fun' games don't depend on me winning, and in fact, a lot of the games that I 'win' end up being the most miserable, because there's nothing fun about completely destroying survivors you clearly outclass.

The rest I mostly agree with, with the exception that I think players put too much stock in map design, these are equally as likely to screw over the survivor in the right circumstances, and confirmation bias leads people to not recognise when they've been granted the advantage. Maps could be designed better in some cases, but it's not a huge issue, again it's more of a perception thing.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,541

So your argument is: "If I didn't have DH, I'd just play better and don't go down"?

That is the worst argument in defense of the perk you could make. Learn how to play the game, not the perk.

DH is a second chance perk. It is. No amount of randomly combined words will change that. It can never give you any value unless you lose the chase. That's how it works. You lose the chase, then press "E" for a second chance (third health state). It's the same as with hatch. It's a second chance. Of course, if you just stand still and do nothing your second chance will be wasted but it is a second chance none the less.

Also, if DH was so weak, it wouldn't be fun. There is no fun in a perk that won't do anything for you. Strangely enough, you aknowledged that the strongest killers in the game are (somewhat) countered by DH. Now think a bit further. It doesn't stop there. Most killers get countered by DH. I can play around a SB pretty well. The survivor uses it and next time I find them, they'll be vulnerable. Most of the time, they'll go back to where I found them (gen) anyway. The same can't be said for DH.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,201

Not to mention that you can always wait it out at vaults and swing only once the vault animation has started. But a lot of killers on this forum would rather stay average than be good.

• philward1953
    philward1953 Member Posts: 208
  • Marik1987

Yeah but I think the issue is not 90sec per gen, the issues are too strong items and perks for Gen-Speedup.

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 606

Bud, you are interacting with the killer when you run a tile against them.

Dead Hard is the most used perk because it can allow you to win anyway after you've already been outplayed at the tile (no setup required).

• Tostapane
    Tostapane Member Posts: 1,613

You didn't say it, but judging what you wrote it's essentially this phrase in a nutshell (easy to outplay)... You can still do something (even if the window's time is extremely small) if you are right behind the survivor and hit him without doing lunges, but in case you are close enough to reach him with a short lunge but without enough time to hit without the lunge cause he'll be essentially safe under the pallet and drop it, this is a lose/lose situation (if you lunge the survivor will see it and press e, gaining distance without even using the pallet, if you don't he will drop the pallet on your face, gaining distance and saving the dead hard for another loop)

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,967

Just switch to survivor and use DH

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

Yeah I tunneled jeff out of the game in just bit over 2 minutes and 4 gens got done. Got another kill tunneling another survivor out and pressuring the last gen but they just managed to pop it. Well I had only one slow down pain res and got value only twice. I almost got 3rd kill as well but survivor abused inside tech at exit gate on me. But that is high mmr game gens go faster than blink of eye.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

I definitely play more survivor than I used to with the QoL updates. Problem is that I still get a lot of teammates who refuse to do anything useful for the first 5 minutes of the match and then go down immediately once found by the killer and then hook suicide after their first hook. Then I go back to playing killer to avoid useless teammates :)

• Tsulan

It will get better when your mmr improves. Or at least thats what happend to me. Most of the time i get decent teammates.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,883

Studies have shown that about 70-80% of all people think they are above average at any given thing (which is of course impossible). And upon reading that, most people tell themselves that they are ones who actually are, and others a deluded.

That's not to say OP doesn't play at high MMR, just that saying you do means about nothing.

I have over 1.2K hours in each role, and if killer is boring, then survivor must be like being comatose.

Killer is only even a little boring at lower levels.

• Verconissp
    Verconissp Member Posts: 1,587

"Easily Outplayed"

Boy...

Dh is the best 2nd chance when a survivor knows how to abuse it properly, (which most don't) And its still in-fact a Better exhaustion perk than others atm.

But not really out in the open or Deadzones, Then you can easily outplay it...

BUT still is a second chance reguardless.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,581

You just have to power through it and learn from people that are better than you.

Like who?

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

All pretty valid points.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
    edited March 2023

Streamers, comp players, people who beat you etc etc

Like, for me, I watch a lot of comp Killers and try to see what they do.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

I am missing one releveant information, so i just ask: What is your optimal outcome as killer? Around what metric should the game balance gen times and chase times?

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,219

Play survivor, pay attention to the hud and you will discover that there is a lot wrong with survivors.

Also, its only weak vs good killers, and ok vs bad ones.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514
    edited March 2023

I’ve seen Otz and d3ad hit a Dead Harding survivor. Let’s put the idea that it only works against bad Killers to rest.

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

I hit right through it. 90% of the time. Just ######### swing.

Because if I twirl in circles with them mid map waiting for them to dead hard, or not or whatever...

that is all wasted time. And if I want to win I need to be over at that generator, way over there pressuring someone to move along.

I find it at its most annoying when its on the edge of my field of view, and I can't tell if its a down or dead hard triggered.

They only thing(and its a big nasty thing) is DH removes me lunging in the vast majority of situations.

• Justinradtke14
    Justinradtke14 Member Posts: 45

How do you know what MMR you are? 🤔 Plus MMR doesn't work well.

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913

Then it would ultimately be better for survivors if we got rid of it, right?

I see it multiple times every match. Those survivors who do run it must just be confused, then, since the other exhaustion perks are so much stronger and completely uncounterable, and it would be better for them if they were forced to use other exhaustion perks.

Every survivor main on the forums seems to be in agreement on this: other exhaustion perks are so much better and DH is completely counterable in every circumstance.

Why don't we just nerf Dead Hard into the ground and make everyone happy?

This discussion has been closed.