Let's Fix "Luck" Already!

The way luck works, it only effects your chance of unhooking yourself. That is really counter-intuitive and limited in application. Luck should also increase the probability of getting good stuff from chests too. Here's an idea, how about having "lucky skill checks"? Apply the luck probability toward skill checks and if you get a lucky skill check then the great skill check zone is increased by a large amount. Or a "lucky stun" in which the luck probability is applied toward pallet stuns and if you get lucky the stun duration is increased by a half second.

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

No to the stun duration - that seems unbalanced and unfair for the killer.

yes to the other stuff.

also, if these annoying phantom skillchecks are supposed to actually be a feature and here to stay then luck should decrease their probability (which currently is around 7 % according to some streamer?)

• Dreamnomad
    Dreamnomad Member Posts: 3,866

Base level of luck for survivors is 4% I believe. I'm not sure what you are referring to with "phantom skill checks". As far as the crit stun, I'm not talking about anything absurd. Just slightly longer. If the stun isn't longer then having blurred vision and no audio for the duration of the stun would work. Just something. Also, these various features of luck don't have to be on a linear scale. They could do a bell curve for pallet stun so it can't be abused.

• chicanobeandip
    chicanobeandip Member Posts: 6

Good ideas! I like it all around!

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

i am talking about skillchecks that might appear once you get off of a gen - the warning just starts after letting go or are completely missing and the gen explodes without you being able to hit the skillcheck. Some streamer (maybe Otz?) made a video on this I think and concluded the probability is around 7 % anytime you let go off a gen.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,952

Luck should be used to increase self unhook chance and loot quality chance for sure.

• Dreamnomad

That's the thing. If you ask a new player "what does luck do?" they would probably assume it has to do with what you get from chests. In most video games luck is associated with critical hits and finding rare loot. It's so counter-intuitive for it to only be based on your chance to un-hook yourself.

• Dreamnomad

Oh, I always just figured that had to do with latency. My internet connection isn't the best.

• Ithiria
    Ithiria Member Posts: 236

Increasing the quality of items you get from chests, and adding lucky skill checks would both be good ideas. Lucky skill checks should be disabled when using hyperfocus though, along with toolbox skillchecks but that's another issue to keep hyperfocus in line.

There's a couple other things that luck could do too, these are all effects at the start of the match:

It could be interesting if there were a chance to keep your items and addons on death/escape. I would actually make the same value apply to killer too. No need to give the killer luck offerings, but this is just a bone to throw to them if we ever get an update to luck mechanics so killers don't just feel left out, as otherwise luck buffs would just be naked survivor buffs.

For a lot of events, we have specific hooks and generators that provide extra bloodpoints. Why not use those mechanics 24/7 but apply them to luck? Based on luck factor, a certain amount of generators and hooks will spawn with a special appearance and give you bonus bloodpoints if you hook on them/finish them. That might be fun, it wouldn't outmode just bringing... bloodpoint offerings, however it'd sweeten the deal to bring luck offerings/perks.

Luck should add chances to spawn extra chests, not that many if it rolls because we don't want to disincentive chest offerings, but a lil something. No more than two, I think, with a roll happening twice.

Luck could cause a chance for a wheel to be rolled at the end of the game that rewards items, certain offerings, or even extra bloodpoints. This would have to be tuned carefully to not be OP, but imagine if there were a lucky way to get stuff like firecrackers outside of events? Obviously, this is something killer can benefit from too.

If you do implement a bunch of luck changes, I actually think that manipulating unhook odds should be removed. I think it's really badly designed and unfair. If you don't stack luck offering/perks it's basically useless outside of endgame. If you do, it's very obnoxious for the killer. I'd buff slippery meat in this case to get you try to unhook yourself 4 times without losing hook progress if we can't change it to an entirely different effect. This would be annoying, but I think the odds are poor enough that it wouldn't be oppressive like 4 stacked jars and up the antes can be (where the odds are so good that slippery meat is mostly unnecessary.)

The ideas I listed would be a global luck value thing, which would require reworking how luck is calculated into a global value and a per-survivor value, used for different things. If there's a reason BHVR has only ever nerfed luck, it's probably that buffing it while not being unfair to the killer is pretty difficult. I don't think my suggestions or even lucky skill checks altogether would make luck "good," but I think it might make it fun and worth using for casual play.

• Dreamnomad

I like where your head is at. There are certainly other possible applications of luck.